What annoyed you today?

Aspman

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

Either way it seems there are far too few test stations..

yup..

the nearest centre to me is Cahir, but its the only centre for most of South Tipperary and parts of Waterford.. where my own town of Clonmel has a population over 25k. and yet everyone is expected to get their cars tested in the one place which only has 3 lanes, so absolute max capacity is 6 cars at a time, with 2 on each lane due to time taken at each stop along it, and every centre is built off the same plan, like Lidl. they need to buold more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another cyclist riding on a busy road, in the dark, dressed in dark clothes and absolutely no lights or rear reflector.  Do these people have a death wish?

• Groan 1

4 minutes ago, TheITGuy said:

Yet another cyclist riding on a busy road, in the dark, dressed in dark clothes and absolutely no lights or rear reflector.  Do these people have a death wish?

In Scotland we call them "organ donors".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, TheITGuy said:

Yes, I think they must do. Round here we have on some roads a dedicated cycle lane on each side of the road, all clearly indicted as to which way they are meant to be used and yet not only are these lanes taking up road width on the main route to the large A&E hospital, to just a single narrow lane in each direction, on a busy road which that ambulances on emergency call struggle to make progress to the A&E, but we get these muppets of cyclists insisting on not only riding with zero lights, dark clothes but actually riding against the traffic, and it seems police do nothing.

The best bit is that you hardly ever see a cyclist in the lanes,

Edited by Graham Butcher
  • Like 1

Barn finds annoy me.

Why do these alleged "amazing barn finds" all have fully inflated tyres?

Yeah they're covered in pigeon crap but those 50yr old tyres don't half hold air well.

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

1 hour ago, Aspman said:

Barn finds annoy me.

Why do these alleged "amazing barn finds" all have fully inflated tyres?

Yeah they're covered in pigeon crap but those 50yr old tyres don't half hold air well.

I assume you must be watching the wrong channels, all the ones I seem to watch always have flat tyres 🤔

4 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

I assume you must be watching the wrong channels, all the ones I seem to watch always have flat tyres 🤔

Ditto.

Flat tyres & seized brakes which normally get released with one or two well aimed thumps from a Birmingham Screwdriver,  if not they make a good job of ploughing the grass when they get dragged out. My reference for this would be Mathewsons Auctions / Bangers & Cash programs on the Yesterday TV Channel 27. One of my favourite car shows.

I popped into Mathewsons place in Thornton Le Dale when I visited York last year. Fabulous place & a real throwback in time. 

Jonny Smith's Late Brake Show seems to find a fair share of barn finds with flat tyres as well. 

I seriously thought about getting a classic car a few years ago but had to accept that with no room in my single garage it was not really a feasible option & I'm too tight to rent a garage elsewhere. I seriously regret not getting a house with double garage 38 years ago but back then we just couldn't afford it.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Colin170CR said:

I seriously regret not getting a house with double garage 38 years ago but back then we just couldn't afford it.  

A double garage was on my list when we moved house in 2014 too - but I also failed on that front...   next time lucky eh?

38 minutes ago, skomaz said:

A double garage was on my list when we moved house in 2014 too - but I also failed on that front...   next time lucky eh?

Excluding a lottery win I don't think they'll be a next time so the current house will go to the kids when the time comes.

4 minutes ago, BTandSid said:

Sadly don’t have a garage, down to parking two wheels on the pavement on a bus route. 

Been there & done that. My 1st house was on a one way bus route street with no off road or resident only parking. I often had to park two or three roads away from my house. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

Been there & done that. My 1st house was on a one way bus route street with no off road or resident only parking. I often had to park two or three roads away from my house. 

I’m going backwards - first house had double garage at the end of the garden, next place had garage down the side. Since then I’ve moved several times and never had a garage.

Provided we park high enough the passing traffic is usually ok although buses have occasionally clipped mirrors; fortunately there’s a stop 50yds away so we can apprehend the 🤬 before they pull away or the passengers do alert them if they pretend they’ve done nothing.  
Main issue we’ve had here, although not so much at the moment, is with those residents who insist on parking bang outside their house regardless, leaving say 5ft front and back, cutting down on the available space. We’re in a small terrace of 12 Victorian houses, space is at a premium any way but it works if everyone parks sensibly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

Good job you never had an EV and wanted to charge it at home then.

8 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

Good job you never had an EV and wanted to charge it at home then.

Very true but TBF EV's were not around in those days - except perhaps for the ill fated Sinclair C5 deathtrap! 😣

We have an EV now & the only reason we got it was because we can charge it at home on our drive. In 9 months of ownership we haven't used a public charger yet & have no plans to do so & certainly not when they want upwards of £0.75p/kWh. I can charge the car at home for £0.07p/kWh. It's the only way private EV ownership makes financial sense.

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

16 hours ago, skomaz said:

A double garage was on my list when we moved house ... too - but I also failed on that front... 

Failure here too 😐

I nearly got a house with a double garage longitudinally, rather than side by side.  And it had a pit!  Unfortunately the house didn't have a kitchen, so that was that.

My garage is in a block of two, so is technically a double garage, of sorts.  It's just the other side is owned by my neighbours 🙄

G

• Like 3

It started 2 weeks ago. SWMBO had a blow out in her Octy caused by a massive pothole in the dark. The hole has big enough to get my hand through! Fixed

I got a puncture in one of my mobility scooter tyres. Fixed

1 week later, another bloody picture on the other side. Fixed.

The day after, said tyre came off the rim as fitter ripped the tube changing it.

This morning, the charger has packed up! WTF!

This disability lark is very expensive

• Sad 4
  • Groan 1

Lightbulbs - specifically small energy saving flourescent ones...

We have an outside light round the back of the house by the utility door - we don't use it very often as that door doesn't get used but its where I store some of the recycling boxes I use.  Anyhow - the bulb went a while back and tripped the breakers so we'd turned it off, ignored it and carried on.  Anyway I figured I'd finally get round to fixing it...   well I can only just reach it stood on a stool (no room for a ladder) and it's a bloody flourescent jobbie with a screw thread unlike any other fitting in the house - but I have one spare one tucked away in a cupboard from ages ago...   which also doesn't work!   So half an hour on tip toes checking with a multi-meter and fighting to dismantle the fitting and I'm no further on!

It's now reassembled and awaiting the purchase of a new bulb if I can be bothered.

And a little addition - windscreen wipers...   bought some new ones for the Swift and hit the usual problem that they only clear part of the screen because of the curvature of it and the total lack of curvature on the new ones.  Resolved by taking the metal 'springs' out of the old ones and transferring them across to the new ones but disappointed the wiper manufacturers hadn't put some element of curvature into the blades to start with...

Edited by skomaz
  • Sad 3

Not today but later on today having to tidy this will annoy me.

The car's due in at 16:00 tomorrow for a service and cam belt change so can anyone guess what I'll be doing at 15:30?

PXL_20240212_001919282.thumb.jpg.18db6e36f5e01681635485d0cdac104c.jpg

PXL_20240212_001930004.thumb.jpg.989a5238aa3f15daf3553b0abcd974d2.jpg

Looks like the Micro Wave has gone Phut.

My wife went to use it & it took out the ring main circuit breaker. Plug fuse is OK. Couple of fuses inside on a PCB but they are not labelled up:wall:. Wife not happy with using this one even I if I get it going so a new one have been ordered.💰

image.thumb.png.63b15a93049b8a09d026726b3b4347f9.png

• Like 1

You know how it goes, you have a good idea but when you get into the job it snowballs into something a lot more difficult.

Well that's been my day. 

I decided that our cooker extract hood needed more illumination. The two existing LED lamps at the back were OK but there was not enough light on the hob underneath. So, after a bit of detective would on Ali Express I found some near identical 12v DC LED lamp units for £12. Bargain. 

They arrived yesterday so today I started marking out the location of the new ones. 

Snag No.1. I didn't install the cooker hood but I remember the guy who did saying it was a mare connecting the extract hose. 

So I had to drill & jigsaw the metal hood upside down in-situ. What a pain. 

Any way all wired up & working. I'll tidy the wiring up tomorrow but job now done. It just took all day to do it!!

image.thumb.png.3a8a278b63820ee8f2eab0eaa4719609.png

image.thumb.png.1162456eff1d2ec1f5a36e0f2e0b6351.png

Edited by Colin170CR
Unfinished post?
  • Like 4

On 12/02/2024 at 00:36, @Lee said:

Not today but later on today having to tidy this will annoy me.

The car's due in at 16:00 tomorrow for a service and cam belt change so can anyone guess what I'll be doing at 15:30?

PXL_20240212_001919282.thumb.jpg.18db6e36f5e01681635485d0cdac104c.jpg

PXL_20240212_001930004.thumb.jpg.989a5238aa3f15daf3553b0abcd974d2.jpg

Crumbs, that's worse than SWMBOs Fabia. On a bad day 😬

Unwanted marketing calls (don't they all fall into that category?) - and in particular, bungled ones!

Incoming call on work cellphone - displaying Sky banner in caller details.

Me - picking up call - Hello.

Caller - no reply.

Me - Hello.

Caller - no reply for a few seconds, then a voice just as I was about to drop the call - (I'm assuming caller was trying to find his place in the sales script after spilling his coffee!)

Caller - ahh, err, is that ahh John err um oh ahh John Sha*****? (my first name, but not my Surname.

Me - no, I think you have dialled the wrong number.

Caller - ahh err, no, I don't think so. 🤔 Now this clown appears to think I'm stupid - or lying!

Me - yes, you must have the wrong number, there's nobody of that name using this cell.

Caller - (clearly not believing me) um ahh, well what's your name? 

Me - I repeat, there is nobody of that name using this cell, you have the wrong number, goodbye. I Hang up.

Edited by Warrior193
add emoticon
  • Love it! 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

Unwanted marketing calls (don't they all fall into that category?) - and in particular, bungled ones!

Incoming call on work cellphone - displaying Sky banner in caller details.

Me - picking up call - Hello.

Caller - no reply.

Me - Hello.

Caller - no reply for a few seconds, then a voice just as I was about to drop the call - (I'm assuming caller was trying to find his place in the sales script after spilling his coffee!)

Caller - ahh, err, is that ahh John err um oh ahh John Sha*****? (my first name, but not my Surname.

Me - no, I think you have dialled the wrong number.

Caller - ahh err, no, I don't think so. 🤔 Now this clown appears to think I'm stupid - or lying!

Me - yes, you must have the wrong number, there's nobody of that name using this cell.

Caller - (clearly not believing me) um ahh, well what's your name? 

Me - I repeat, there is nobody of that name using this cell, you have the wrong number, goodbye. I Hang up.

TBH I hang up as soon as I don't get an answer the first time I say hello. You just know they've got about 6-10 outgoing calls going at the same time so the delay is the time it takes for them to see you've picked up & for them to shut down the other calls. I sometimes play another game & that is to pick up & say nothing. Invariably the line goes dead because I've not said anything.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1