Installing Speed Cameras on The Amundsen MIB2 - Free Database and Quite Simple to Do!

2 hours ago, pinkisg said:

I have the same problem. What did you do to resolve the update installation problem? Thanks for answer.

I tried quite a few different  ways but non seemed to work.

So I went back to copying the full extracted file onto the card, put it in the slot and the software update message came up, clicked the update button and it started searching, took the card out of the slot and put it back in whilst it was still showing searching and it seemed to find the update and load it. I had tried this before and it didn't load so I am not sure why it did this time!

Sorry, I don't have a definite reason why it did or didn't load, all I can suggest is keep trying and hope like mine it will find the update.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pinkisg said:

I have the same problem. What did you do to resolve the update installation problem? Thanks for answer.

As @BHughes has helped, you may also wish to try 2nd SD Card slot if you have got one, or have not tried it.

Sometimes firmware updates don't load, swap to another slot and they do.

1 hour ago, varooom said:

As @BHughes has helped, you may also wish to try 2nd SD Card slot if you have got one, or have not tried it.

Sometimes firmware updates don't load, swap to another slot and they do.

This is not a firmware update.

It is adding Camera sites as POI's to the Navigation database, so you need to have the Navigation SD card in one slot, otherwise the Sat Nav doesn't work and then put the downloaded POI database on another SD card and load it via the other SD card slot.

I had tried switching the Navigation SD to slot 2 and the database for the Camera POI's in slot 1 that didn't work either.

• Groan 1

32 minutes ago, BHughes said:

This is not a firmware update.

It is adding Camera sites as POI's to the Navigation database, so you need to have the Navigation SD card in one slot, otherwise the Sat Nav doesn't work and then put the downloaded POI database on another SD card and load it via the other SD card slot.

I had tried switching the Navigation SD to slot 2 and the database for the Camera POI's in slot 1 that didn't work either.

First of all, thanks for your quick reaction and advice. Unfortunately, I have already tried all the listed variants without success.

I will try again and hope that once it will work.

I will be happy for any new ideas. Thank you!

One thing that confuses people is that when they download my files they then extract them and then copy or put the extracted folder onto the sd card. THIS WILL NOT WORK. The entertainment system will recognise that there's an update on your sd card but will not see or recognise the files because they are inside a folder on the sd card. This is why it's important to only copy the files named PersonalPOI and metainfo2.txt directly onto the sd card without them being inside a folder. It's also a good idea to make sure the sd card does not contain any other files but it's not a necessity. Sometimes re-downloading the files may be the answer just in case they've become corrupted during the download process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bigade1 said:

One thing that confuses people is that when they download my files they then extract them and then copy or put the extracted folder onto the sd card. THIS WILL NOT WORK. The entertainment system will recognise that there's an update on your sd card but will not see or recognise the files because they are inside a folder on the sd card. This is why it's important to only copy the files named PersonalPOI and metainfo2.txt directly onto the sd card without them being inside a folder. It's also a good idea to make sure the sd card does not contain any other files but it's not a necessity. Sometimes re-downloading the files may be the answer just in case they've become corrupted during the download process.

Hi bigade1,

First thanks for your quick respond.

I'm a little confused because I did exactly as you described. I copied the folder named PersonalPOI and file metainfo2.txt directly onto the sd card . There is no files named PersonalPOI, it is just folder named PersonalPOI and inside it are folders MIB2HIGH and MIB2TDS and inside again folder personalPOI and  metainfo2 , than folder info file…package and so on…

I tried another thing and downloaded the scdb_sample file from the paid site: https://www.scdb.info/en/installation-vw/#1;

Here the structure is almost the same as in your update and I did everything the same as with your update and the thing works. Of course, it is not complete and up-to-date. So I appreciate your work and I like to use your update but I really don't know what I'm doing wrong that the thing is not working.

Please correct me what I am doing wrong. Thanks..

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 04/12/2022 at 15:39, bigade1 said:

Latest Updated Speedcams - December, 2022.

It's been a long while but at last here's the latest update of my customised version of EUR Speedcams ( December, 2022). They consist of the full EUROPE speed cameras which I've split up into four consolidated poi categories i.e. Fixed Speedcams, Average Speedcams, Variable Speedcams and Redlight Speedcams. They come supplied with my own preferred personal choice of icons, shown below, to match each of the speedcam categories. Remember to Install them as I explained in the first post in this thread i.e. after extracting the zip file remember to open the newly extracted folder and place only the PersonalPOI folder and metainfo2.txt file onto your sd card ( Please Note: a usb stick will not work! ). Also, please remember to select/tick the relevant newly added poi categories and the poi audible warning alert in your infotainment map menu settings after performing the update or they will not display on your map or audibly alert you. Hope you all enjoy them!

2002628576_EURedlightSpeedcam.png.a65a555fcd9d2d25f9d50c853bf7c270.png 553530988_EUFixedSpeedcam.png.a730e71f2483b5b5d8f1d3ed5ed3012b.png    838584675_EUAverageSpeedcam.png.8c08cc1b44468f54e7c9f7dcdf08b507.png   912793780_EUVariableSpeedcam.png.9bf05d1e28a585fb58ac84caadb674b1.png

*** A brief update***

For all those who have asked - I am still continuing to update these files but since the Covid situation I have found it difficult to get hold of a good FREE reliable updated database. I continually regularly check the forums and when I come across a suitable database I use some software to check the cameras in my area before I decide whether to convert and compile them as it does take a bit of time and effort to accomplish this. For instance, some average speedcams were installed about 3 years ago in my area but no database has yet reflected this change. It's therefore been pointless doing any updates. Thankfully, this new updated database has finally recognised them so perhaps things are starting to get back to normal. Rest assured though these files will be updated as and when I come across any further suitable databases. 

Stumbled on this today - 7th April 2023.

Downloaded, transferred to SD Card etc.

Worked a treat.

Thanks

Edited by cmp1951
No text entered
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Excellent. Just followed your instructions (after having failed following other instructions) and my POIs now have speed cam.

Thankyou very much.

On 04/12/2022 at 18:50, BHughes said:

Hi,

I am having a problem updating when I put the card in the SD slot it seems to read it OK as it says Software update is available.

But when I try to update it searches, then gives me  following Error : no data available. Please insert a source with software update or check the source

I have extracted the files and copied the PersonalPOI folder,

I note that there are subfolders MIB2HIGH and MIB2STD and both of these have personalpoi folders, so I tried copying the contents of these in to a personal poi folder and still get the same messages.

What I am I doing wrong?

Could it be because I am using the latest VW map update 2010?

I deleted the previous my personal poi on the system, these were the previous updates you posted.

Greetings,

I have the same problem, did you find a solution, can someone help me?  

When I insert the sd card with the update poi files into Discovery Media, it recognizes that there are update files but it just can't install them, it start search but then say there is no any update files and to add media with instalatio files for adding personal poi or whatever, it doesn't see and install the files.  

I tried with another sd card and usb memory, always the same result.  

I tried another car with Discovery PRO installed files without any problems.  

Is there a solution for Diskoveri media?

Thank you in advance!

• 3 months later...

Hi,

On the original post on this topic it points to https://free-speed-cam-updates.web2diz.net/  and says  VW Pre Compiled Database , I have done that but the internal dates of the files are 2016 even though the link says  Speed Camera for Volkswagen (compiled) 3.33M – update 02/10/2023  .  

Am I missing somthing? Are updated ones held somewhere else on the web. 

Thanks

I found BigAde's 4 dec 22 post and downloaded and installed them this morning (thanks it worked perfectly). I got done for speeding recently in Northumberland and was looking for later dates, I did the online course.......  That Free Speed Cam site claim to regularly do updates, the odd one out is the VW precomplied that says it is updated but has internal dates of 2016?  I have left them a comment but others have already spotted the date issue.  

Hi everyone, I've tried everything possible and I still cannot get the latest update to install. When I put the SD card in it says "Update available", but when I go to install the below message appears.

"Error: No data available. Please insert a source with software update data or check the source."

I've tried:

Formatting the SD Card

Using Windows and Mac (I discovered Mac isn't compatible)

Extracting the folder directly to the SD Card

Using only the internal folders of MIB2HIGH, etc

Removing and reinserting the SD Card when searching for update

Locking the SD Card

Removed the metainfo2 file

Can anyone offer any other suggestions or a fix for this please?

IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

For the speed cams you need to  add them through  POI's  in the Sat Nav menu, adding them as  "my POI's".

TBH though they tend to be a little bit out of date and due  to the nature of the way POI's work it will ping when there is a camera on the opposite side of the road and cameras on a road very close to the one you are driving on.

Edited by BHughes

On 30/10/2023 at 11:52, NigelR99 said:

Hi,

On the original post on this topic it points to https://free-speed-cam-updates.web2diz.net/  and says  VW Pre Compiled Database , I have done that but the internal dates of the files are 2016 even though the link says  Speed Camera for Volkswagen (compiled) 3.33M – update 02/10/2023  .  

Am I missing somthing? Are updated ones held somewhere else on the web. 

Thanks

The "Free Speed Cam Updates" web site got back to me with the reply :

"Yes only the needed files are update config files does not need to be updated with new data so remain the same"

1 hour ago, BHughes said:

For the speed cams you need to  add them through  POI's  in the Sat Nav menu, adding them as  "my POI's".

TBH though they tend to be a little bit out of date and due  to the nature of the way POI's work it will ping when there is a camera on the opposite side of the road and cameras on a road very close to the one you are driving on.

Hi BHughes, thanks for the reply.

I've followed the instructions each time, searching for the update through POI's. My image is just for the part number of my unit.

• 1 month later...