Initial impressions - disappointed

I don't think that the P7s will get any quieter with wear, but I'd hope that the lack of steering feel you're experiencing will improve as the tyre surface roughens up.

I've just fitted new tyres to my Octavia and the steering feels terrible, just as it did when brand new. Thought I had made a terrible mistake back then but the feel steadily improved as the tyres wore in and I'm banking on the same occurring with the new tyres.

Overall I was very pleased with my original Dunlop SPortsMaxx. However comments in this forum and with tyre people suggests that production quality varies a lot with this brand. I've gone with some well priced Michelin Primacy (PS4 were not available locally in my size [Adelaide, Australia]).

With DCC:-
- i find "Normal" mode comfortable and fine for the most part, but i feel less "connected" to the car, and its more wallowy.  

- i find "Sport" mode too aggressive with the engine

- so i customised my "Individual" mode to be a mix of both Sport and Normal characteristics.  Tis less wallowy, responsive and i feel connected :)

IMAG1273.thumb.jpg.caa523c6fcaf84caf73d78ac51b9be39.jpg

Edited by JR RS

I don't find the P7s noisy. They are no more noisy than Bridgestones or Continentals I had on previous cars. The problem with the P7s is their grip in the wet. See my thread P7s in the wet.

I have just put my 19s P7's back on as the car is going back next week and have noticed that they are a lot nosier than the Hancooks Evo Winters that I had on it. The winters were on 19s as well. I find the steering lacking in feed back as well and have DCC. I have everything in sport and gearbox in auto (I think).

23 hours ago, xman said:

1.4tsi manual SEL hatch with dcc

Delivery was almost 2 weeks ago, but I havent had time to drive it much.

Today is the first time I have taken it out to stretch its legs, a 60mph run up and down the motorway, 10 miles. 

To say P7s are noisy is a gross understatement, I initially thought wheel bearings had gone. They ruin the car.

Tried the dcc in comfort vs normal mode, couldn't detect any difference.

Steering was numb and no feedback whatsoever.

Lots of others things too but too depressed to write them down. If only I had some proper test drives and tried other makes. I realise now that I probably made a bad decision, an impulse buy pressured by the scrappage (ending then in Dec), marketing, gushing reviews etc

Live and learn.

Ours is a 1.4 150 PS manual hatch, March 2017

No DCC so cannot comment.

I find the P7's fine. The Leon I had before had Michelin Energys and the Superb is quieter. My only comment would be that on about 1/4 mile of newly resurfaced road near Tesco they sing, thought it was a rave nearby. The Bridgestones on the wifes car do it as well but not as loud. Obviously the surface and not the tyre.

Steering is fine.

Before we bought we had a 3 hour test drive and after just over a year we know we made the correct decision. 8+ hours in the car is not an issue.

All the gushing reviews are accurate IMHO.

Give it time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, skidpan said:

Give it time.

Yep. Just re-read the OP as was in a hurry at the time. 10 minutes drive isn't nearly enough to make a judgement xman, and I think you are right to hold off from hating it before you get some serious miles in. The tyres won't even be scrubbed yet I suspect (though they will always be loud IMHO). As others have said, the individual modes will allow you to set things up as you like them. I find the steering plenty responsive enough in normal or sport, but I must admit I'm not that spirited a driver. 

Set aside a couple of hours and have a proper play with it. 

I used a dealer 240 miles from home so mine got a good run on the way back - mine is a Sportline 280 so probably designed to be a bit 'growly' but I found it to be a pretty quiet cruiser all the way up the A303 other than a bit of concrete surface.

Maybe you do need some time to get used to it, but for sure check the obvious like packers left in, tyre pressures correct etc.

27 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Crikey @edwards that is a good run - I thought my 150 miles was at the extreme end! Any particular reason? In my case I was buying ex-demo.

We visited them when we were on holiday in the area and they looked after us really well, so when we came to buy a few months later I asked them what kind of deal they could do. Our local dealer 5 miles away  was a bit cheaper but we've had a few issues with them over the missus's Yeti purchase and weren't keen to give them the trade.

They looked after us really well all through the ordering etc, and we are down in the same area 2 or 3 times a year anyway on holiday or visiting family so it isn't too much of a problem if we wanted to use them for servicing as well.

The dealer was Murray Skoda in Plymouth - our salesman was Jamie but most of the others we've spoken to were pretty helpful.

We chose to come back to London via the A303 so we could give it a good run-in at varied revs as per the advice on here - it was an easy journey but as it was the Monday after all the snow the car (formerly shiny white) looked more grey/black by the time we were home :)

• Like 2

Steering feel people complain about is usually either power steering (Electrical vs old Hydraulic makes huge difference) and the car has special function which applies force to make turns feel smooth (basically it reduces feedback of road in turns). But for me it doesn't always activate, just rarely. Which is weird. But i'm 100% sure there is function for that. I can feel the difference when it works and when not.

P.S.: My point is that u get either used to it, or change to sport in "steering" setting (Individual settings).

Edited by JackySi

I have the same wheels as you xman. I agree they're crashy and the suspension (standard, not adaptive) is poor in relation to other marques, especially at the price point. I've driven everything from Octavia vRS through to 1 litre Fabia and Rapid models, and all have been much nicer to drive due to the smaller wheels and larger sidewalls. The 18" big wheels with their low profile, hard eco tyres really don't feel good. Unfortunately due to the size of the brake discs on my 220 (and the 280) you can't downsize the alloys either. With a 1.4 you may have more luck?  Adaptive suspension should really help with this, however. Unfortunately VAG suspension really isn't great - my wife's new S-Max was cheaper fully loaded than my mid-model Superb, and rides multitudes better than it. It has double wishbone suspension, lovely compliant tyres and corners like it's on rails with no body roll. It was a revelation.

A mostly smooth motorway is no way to test adaptive dampers, get on the back roads...

Regarding the steering feel. VAG as a whole (Audi, VW, Skoda, Seat, whatever) all suffer from poor/numb steering feel and disconnect the driver from the wheels. It's all the worse for ePAS (electric power steering). Make sure your seat is set correctly and that you can comfortably reach the top of the wheel without lifting your shoulders from the back of the seat. You should have a nice little bend at the elbow when holding the wheel at 9 and 3 (not a right angle, mind!) and be able to reach around the whole wheel. This will give you the most relaxed and capable position, and will allow you to hold the wheel very lightly. With ePAS systems, the feedback is there you just need to relax and feel for it. If you hold the wheel in a 'grip' you will never feel anything. Relax, and feel for it - it's much more subtle than other marques but you'll feel it still.

As your engine runs in and you get used to the quirks of the car, you'll likely warm to it much more - I did. If or when you can, change the P7s for something with more compliance and a softer compound. Michelin or similar are usually a good call for this. If you're not sure even after reading reviews, something with A rated wet braking but a lower fuel economy rating will usually do the trick - that means soft grippy rubber but a consequentially higher rolling resistance (i.e. softer and more comfy). The Superb calls for XL tyres, with a reinforced sidewall, which doesn't help matters; but there are good tyres out there.

Keep at it, and see how you get on. As others have said, have a play with the adaptive suspension and perhaps keep it on the softer side (normal/comfort) for now if you're finding the ride too crashy and poor. With new boots all around you should feel a big difference again. It's not ideal, but it is what it is. I love the engine in my 220, but I won't be buying another Skoda/VAG car in future.

• Like 1

I know what the OP means. When I moved from my MkII to the Mk III I missed the old car. Even wondered if I had done the right thing. It all seemed a bit overcomplicated.  I wasn't driving mine much after the change and have only started putting on some miles in the last 6 weeks. With everything set as I want it (after experimentation) I now really enjoy driving the car, even on the P7s which no longer bother me. The more miles I do the more I appreciate what a fine car the Mk III is. 

Usually drive in Normal mode or Individual with sport steering. I did change the throttle to the Audi coding, but changed it back again, (a diesel issue) The lag in the diesel is hardly noticeable now.

My wife is looking a VW golf and her engine of choice is the 1.5 TSI 150PS. I think the 1.4tsi 150PS is the unsung hero of the Superb petrol engines.

Give it time and a decent number of miles and I think you will really start to appreciate how good the Superb is.

• Like 2

At almost £700 for a set of crossclimates that's not something I will consider. (One of the gripes). I will get used to it, I have to as I bought it for cash with the view its my "last car" to last me up to 20 years.

Its early days, that's why I said initial impressions. Thanks for the suggestions about individual mode, I will experiment.

Xman,

Don’t know if this helps, but I have a 2016 1.4 Tsi 150 Se and have the 17” alloys on (with P7’s). 

I find it extremely quiet and comfortable, I don’t have dcc either. 

My previous car was a mk3 Octavia elegance with 17” wheels and found it incredibly noisy at all speeds. 

I guess what im saying is if you tried 17” wheels - I bet you’d notice a clear difference. 

Dave. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skidpan said:

Why do people give up so young. Our neighbour at the last house told me as he turned 65 that he could not see himself driving much longer and the car would have to last him.

Me and the Mrs are both retired and intend having a new car each every 3 years and to carry on driving for at least as long as my dad did. That means 8 more new cars each and many more hopefully.

Driving a car is not an important part of my life, last year I drove only 4000 miles. This year will be even less. Cars are black holes money wise that I have no wish to feed, hence running them from new until they are no longer economically viable which is up to 20 years so far. 

20 years from now, cars?

4 hours ago, skidpan said:

Why do people give up so young. Our neighbour at the last house told me as he turned 65 that he could not see himself driving much longer and the car would have to last him.

Me and the Mrs are both retired and intend having a new car each every 3 years and to carry on driving for at least as long as my dad did. That means 8 more new cars each and many more hopefully.

Sorry to go off topic... but my Granddad is 85 odd now, he still drives, hes fit as a fiddle and for the last 10 years, each year says he may stop driving if he feels unsafe but always re-assess and decides to continue - (he says its so much easier than the 1950's coaches and wagons he drove)  however they only use the car for the shopping trips or max 10 miles a drive now.  His biggest issue he says is the volume of traffic and in his words "all the bloody idiots who are in a rush!"  which spoil it, he will drive the speed limit regardless / to the conditions but there is always someone taking unnecessary risks...   

Keep at it i say for anyone who feels to do so !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xman said:

Driving a car is not an important part of my life, last year I drove only 4000 miles. This year will be even less. Cars are black holes money wise that I have no wish to feed, hence running them from new until they are no longer economically viable which is up to 20 years so far. 

20 years from now, cars?

For that reason I'd never ever buy Superb. If you are not fan of driving buying a "luxury" car makes no sense. You say car is money black hole but you bought most expensive car that brand can offer but you are going to save on tires which make your drive "disappointing". Just feels little off to me sorry. I feed in half year 1200€ into my car (just minor service, few extras like boot cover, odb, winter tyres, summer tyres, new wheel liner (broke previous with too icy snow when driving offroad) and I have 17.000km on the clock.  I plan to do up to 30.000km in year and more. Yeah its a black hole, but enjoyable and far safer than most other cars. I aint planning to die on road because of cheaper tyres or buying some crappy car that doesn't suit my driving style and my requirements for space. 

You could also try asking dealer to replace tyres because you are very unhappy with them. When I bought my S3 they asked me which tyres i want fitted with no additional cost.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, xman said:

20 years from now, cars?

There are worse monetary 'black holes', kids, gambling, horses, sailing, flying, lawyers and divorces.

But I know what you mean.

By the way check your tyre pressures, my new tyres were pumped to 43psi by the installer

I guess I'll have to experiment to see what pressure works best with these new tyres

I love driving ours, even though both have had their fair share of warranty issues. Gone off the manual though since getting the DSG Sportline.

Currently got 2x Superb III

2016 SE Business 2.0 TDI 150 Manual Estate - Being replaced by SE Tech TDI 150 DSG Estate next week

2017 Sportline TDI 150 DSG Hatch

Both of the cars above have been driven 40000 miles between them in the last 2 years. Both have done at least 5000 each in Europe. We've never had issues with road noise etc. The SE Business on 17" wheels is probably the most comfortable car i've owned. Very little road noise and a nice smooth drive. I expected the missus' Sportline on 19" wheels to have horrendous road noise, but it doesn't. 

Sorry to hear you are disappointed with yours. Life would be boring if we all thought and did the same though

Edited by AngloDeutsch

13 hours ago, xman said:

20 years from now, cars?

Of course there will be cars in 20 years time. What would happen to the global economy if all the manufacturers suddenly stopped making them and no fuel was needed to power them, total meltdown I suspect. But that will not happen,  cars will adapt and fuels will adapt.

In 20 years time hopefully I will be buying a car that works very differently to todays but does exactly the same job.

• Like 1

I don't recall what tyres we had on our old car but the 19"  P7's are bliss in comparison. I can honestly say I've not once given tyre noise a thought in our Superb. 

• Like 1