1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

2 minutes ago, martin1199 said:

Does anyone know if Skoda look at this site 

I hope they do. My dealerships said they don’t look at forums. I told them I thought they should as they would then realise the scale of the problem and the degree of frustration. I wonder how many people are actually affected but have just put up with it? I also wonder if the problem (sorry characteristic) exists on mainland Europe?

• Like 1

Told my local dealer about the issue today when collecting some Long Life oil for my Octavia, they didn't show any interest to get it booked and looked at which doesn't surprise me when they only get paid by Head Office if it's authorised work which can be fixed. Got 9 months until 1st service due so plenty of time for a cure to be found.:sleepy:

6 minutes ago, AMC150 said:

I wonder how many people are actually affected but have just put up with it? I also wonder if the problem (sorry characteristic) exists on mainland Europe?

Or if it effects VW, Seat and Audi owners.

We already know DSG owners are far less likely to complain. So question is whether the number complaining is significant enough for Skoda,VW etc to worry about.

For everyone here complaining there are probably multiple more out there who don't know about forums and just swallow the standard dealer stonewaller lines.

Its a characteristic Sir, it'll get better once it beds in, or we can't fault it Sir, or never had anyone complain Sir, must be the way you're driving, or the latest, it seems, its the cheap fuel you're using Sir.

41 minutes ago, AMC150 said:

I also wonder if the problem (sorry characteristic) exists on mainland Europe?

Yes it does, at least in the Czech-Slovak forum there already are some of Karoq 1.5 TSI users which complaint about the similar issues. They are just few of them so far. Btw I've told them about you guys too.

• Like 1

Btw I was about to buy the Kodiaq 1.5TSI manual but after I've been reading the complaints reagarding the 1.5 TSI manual issues, btw what I assume will be more significant or the same in Kodiaq but who knows?! So currently I'm considering rather to buy one with TDI engine.  

Whilst my Karoq still has the issue when pulling away I have adapted my driving style to the lifting the clutch and as the car starts moving pressing the accelerator.  If needing to pull away quickly then adopt my wife's driving style of plenty of revs.  With the latest ECU firmware once the engine is warm then it is a lot better.

My opinion is that aside from the pulling away issue I am so impressed by the car and the smoothness of the 1.5 engine on the motorway I would still buy the car again.  I can live with the slight changes I need to make to pull away smoothly.

However I will still take it back once the next version of the ECU firmware is made available as I am still disappointed that VW would put an engine out with such a bad flat spot on pulling away.

But for now I will live with it and appreciate everything else that I love about the car.

1 hour ago, pryorkshire said:

Whilst my Karoq still has the issue when pulling away I have adapted my driving style to the lifting the clutch and as the car starts moving pressing the accelerator.  If needing to pull away quickly then adopt my wife's driving style of plenty of revs.  With the latest ECU firmware once the engine is warm then it is a lot better.

My opinion is that aside from the pulling away issue I am so impressed by the car and the smoothness of the 1.5 engine on the motorway I would still buy the car again.  I can live with the slight changes I need to make to pull away smoothly.

However I will still take it back once the next version of the ECU firmware is made available as I am still disappointed that VW would put an engine out with such a bad flat spot on pulling away.

But for now I will live with it and appreciate everything else that I love about the car.

1 hour ago, pryorkshire said:

I totally understand your post but in the 51 years I’ve been driving, I have never had to adapt my driving style to move off without kangarooing. 

I too have now modified my driving style to take account of this potentially dangerous fault (sorry characteristic) but I should  not have to do that. 

I too am 95% delighted with my car (my sixth AVW product on the trot)  so why on earth have AVW allowed this situation to exist???

Surely the thing was tested????

If we mere driver/owners know it’s a problem, then surely they should have????

unbelievable!!!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gaz1985 said:

^^^

Do you work for Skoda / VAG by any chance ??? :giggle:

No a railway rolling stock engineer with 50 years design and testing experience.

Having owned a Mk1 1.9 tdi Superb Saloon, Mk2 2.0 tdi Superb Elegance Estate, Octavia 1.4 tsi saloon, Octavia 1.4 tsi Estate I have to say that the 1.5 Karoq is the best all round car to drive, particularly on long motorway journeys, seat comfort definitely the best, Superb Elegance Estate in which I did 75,000 miles in 3 years good for high speed motorway cruising but worst in seat comfort.

My wife says that having driven diesels I don't give the petrol engine enough revs when I pull away, having always driven petrol she does and never kangaroos.

On 02/11/2018 at 07:38, martin1199 said:

If they called it a fault then they would have to do something straight away and gave a recall. They have said that buying saying it’s a characteristic then to me that us saying it’s ok as they all do it then we can get away without a recall which would cost them lots of money.

if it is a characteristic then why didn’t we get told when buying the car by the dealerships. Reason because they would not sell any 

They have called it a fault and advised me they are waiting on a fix. I'm going to do my weekly chase/moan call on Monday to Skoda.

Don't just accept what the dealership say escalate it to Skoda directly, mail them and they will respond in 3 days to you, the more who do this the more chance we have of a fix.

19 hours ago, pryorkshire said:

My wife says that having driven diesels I don't give the petrol engine enough revs when I pull away, having always driven petrol she does and never kangaroos.

Does she work for VAG???:rofl:

• Haha 2

I had an update call today from Skoda, they called me:ohmy:

No fix still, they are aware and are working on a fix within a reasonable time frame, I asked them to define reasonable and provide an ETA which they of course could not :sadsmile:

Their legal dept advises them that at present they would not consider the vehicle for rejection as they consider it not to be a safety issue and they are still within a reasonable time frame regarding finding a fix.

I again stated this is a safety issue as the car only last week managed to kangaroo and then stall at a junction, this has at least been noted.

9 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

I had an update call today from Skoda, they called me:ohmy:

No fix still, they are aware and are working on a fix within a reasonable time frame, I asked them to define reasonable and provide an ETA which they of course could not :sadsmile:

Their legal dept advises them that at present they would not consider the vehicle for rejection as they consider it not to be a safety issue and they are still within a reasonable time frame regarding finding a fix.

I again stated this is a safety issue as the car only last week managed to kangaroo and then stall at a junction, this has at least been noted.

Totally agree!!

It IS potentially a  safety issue.

Lets keep banging on at em!!!!

If their lips move they are lying..................................... Remember,remember the last FIX vag came up with it ended up ruining a lot of good cars so be very very careful when they say they have a FIX Don’t rush in ,let the seat/vw owners try it out first.

Edited by Sad555
  • Haha 1