1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

1 minute ago, TheRobinK said:

Over here in Ireland, €2000 less than the 1.5 and lower CO2 emissions, €180 less annual road tax, lower insurance.

I wondered about the 1.0 being up to it but having talked to 2 owners, they are very pleased. It seems to well suited to buzzing around towns and lots of short, quick journeys. I expect it is also a case a case of the little Turbo motor exceeding expectations so the owners have a happy face, whereas the 1.5........ not so much! 

I have the 1.0TSI and love it, pulls ok, quite nippy too!

• Like 1

There is mentioned that to prevent kangarooing it is needed over-revving the engine in some of the earlier posts. I'm just curious what do you see as over-revving? how many revs? What do you consider as normal revs when pulling away?

2 minutes ago, trek said:

There is mentioned that to prevent kangarooing it is needed over-revving the engine in some of the earlier posts. I'm just curious what do you see as over-revving? how many revs? What do you consider as normal revs when pulling away?

Minimum 2,000rpm is required in 1st gear as you let the clutch out to eradicate the jerkiness otherwise plenty of wallaby juice gets fired into the engine. To be fair whether I'm driving my Octavia or the wife's Karoq I tend to change gears at 2,000rpm so as to not labour the engine so it doesn't really mean a change of driving style. I do wonder how few revs some owners expect to use to pull away in 1st without labouring the engine.:cool:

2 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Minimum 2,000rpm is required in 1st gear as you let the clutch out to eradicate the jerkiness otherwise plenty of wallaby juice gets fired into the engine. To be fair whether I'm driving my Octavia or the wife's Karoq I tend to change gears at 2,000rpm so as to not labour the engine so it doesn't really mean a change of driving style. I do wonder how few revs some owners expect to use to pull away in 1st without labouring the engine.:cool:

It is ok if you on a road and need normal speed, but if you on traffic jam or in parking or narrow city streets , you can’t let cluth with over 2000rpm, because speed will be soo big. 

And driving on a permanently locked clutch is not very useful for the clutch mechanism.

And there are still many cars with 1.5tsi, which go out of the clutch at 1500 rpm smooth and trouble-free.

Edited by kifir
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Fine changing gear at 2000rpm but you don't want to be letting the clutch out at that high a revs do you. As well as the wear on the clutch it makes you look/sound inexperienced or very old and not in complete control! I'm not generalising hear but we've all turned around when hearing someone manoeuvring in the supermarket car-park etc. I don't look to see what revs I'm pulling away at in normal use in mine or my wife's petrol cars but it's a lot less than 2000, probably between 1200 and 1500 at most and in first gear that's not going to labour the engine. Interested how you pull away at 2000rpm and then change into 2nd at 2000rpm? You'd have to be doing well over 2000 in first which is far too high for such a low gear. Fine if you like tearing about but most of us prefer to drive in a more leisurely manner, certainly in the lower gears. 

Edited by VAGCF
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, trek said:

I don't have any issues with my Karoq "kangarooing" and usually pull away in first gear using 1000-1500 rpm just now as the car has not reached the 500 mile mark yet.

http://www.howtodrive.co.uk/how-to-drive-better-every-day/changing-gear/common-mistakes-when-changing-gear

Edited by Apprentice
spilling mistake

12 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Letting the clutch out at 2000rpm in first? Presumably this is to accelerate rapidly from a standstill?

What about low speed maneauvering such as driving into a shared driveway or a car park where you don't want to be doing anything more than 5mph? Good luck with that at 2000rpm!

When I pull into my car park at home which is accessed through a passageway between 2 houses, I'm in 1st gear and don't want revs more than 5 or 600 rpm. If they have to be 4 times that to avoid Kangarooing then something is very wrong.

• Like 1

As I've mentioned before, I defy  anybody who has the "issue" to manouevre smoothly and safely in a car park especially when setting off from cold. To be aware that cars may just reverse out of a space or an errant trolley pusher , 2000 rpm is just too fast and on a slight downward slope it is made worse and changing into second is not an option.

And not forgetting the lack of power when trying to judge a gap in traffic safely in second gear.

Before anybody else tells me solutions to avoid kangarooing, I've tried them all mentioned in previous posts- high octane fuel, various modes, auto stop-start disabled, setting off in first without touching the accelerator, waiting for the idle rpm to steady before setting off  etc etc etc  NONE have eradicated the issue.

Are people really saying that before they got a Karoq, they used to rev the engine to 2000rpm before letting the clutch out !

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, R1200R said:

Before anybody else tells me solutions to avoid kangarooing, I've tried them all mentioned in previous posts- high octane fuel, various modes, auto stop-start disabled, setting off in first without touching the accelerator, waiting for the idle rpm to steady before setting off  etc etc etc  NONE have eradicated the issue.

Are people really saying that before they got a Karoq, they used to rev the engine to 2000rpm before letting the clutch out !

I fully agree with you and confirm the above!

Found a solution for myself that minimizes the kangaroo, at the moment when it should happen I press the clutch a little bit again. 

The decision is controversial, but a little less "pain" when driving ... :(

Edited by kifir

10 hours ago, Stevieweevie said:

Letting the clutch out at 2000rpm in first? Presumably this is to accelerate rapidly from a standstill?

What about low speed maneauvering such as driving into a shared driveway or a car park where you don't want to be doing anything more than 5mph? Good luck with that at 2000rpm!

When I pull into my car park at home which is accessed through a passageway between 2 houses, I'm in 1st gear and don't want revs more than 5 or 600 rpm. If they have to be 4 times that to avoid Kangarooing then something is very wrong.

I reverse into my drive because it's very tight being up a narrow private road with no pavement. No need to give the Karoq many revs whilst parking as it does not (as many have said before) kangaroo in reverse. I do not drive the Karoq quickly but you have to drive around the revs dropping as the clutch is let out.:angel:

43 minutes ago, R1200R said:

As I've mentioned before, I defy  anybody who has the "issue" to manouevre smoothly and safely in a car park especially when setting off from cold. To be aware that cars may just reverse out of a space or an errant trolley pusher , 2000 rpm is just too fast and on a slight downward slope it is made worse and changing into second is not an option.

And not forgetting the lack of power when trying to judge a gap in traffic safely in second gear.

Before anybody else tells me solutions to avoid kangarooing, I've tried them all mentioned in previous posts- high octane fuel, various modes, auto stop-start disabled, setting off in first without touching the accelerator, waiting for the idle rpm to steady before setting off  etc etc etc  NONE have eradicated the issue.

Are people really saying that before they got a Karoq, they used to rev the engine to 2000rpm before letting the clutch out !

Totally agree!

Tried everything. No benefit.

44 minutes ago, R1200R said:

The 2k revs works but must have an adverse effect on the clutch in the longer term.

A question for those who have returned the Karoq to their dealer and been given an equivalent car to drive until a fix is found for the 'issue'. I should add that I have been fortunate and our dealer is fair and decent.

We could simply have rejected the Karoq and returned to square one, or we can take another car until the fix is available. For those who have taken a temporary alternative car, what arrangements have you made if the fix takes too long, doesn't materialise, or simply doesn't work? I must admit, I am a little concerned that VAG have known about the problem for a long while ......... and the 'fix' seems a long time coming.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StEdmund said:

A question for those who have returned the Karoq to their dealer and been given an equivalent car to drive until a fix is found for the 'issue'. I should add that I have been fortunate and our dealer is fair and decent.

We could simply have rejected the Karoq and returned to square one, or we can take another car until the fix is available. For those who have taken a temporary alternative car, what arrangements have you made if the fix takes too long, doesn't materialise, or simply doesn't work? I must admit, I am a little concerned that VAG have known about the problem for a long while ......... and the 'fix' seems a long time coming.

My karoq is in the dealership until a fix is found, Skoda Uk have told me to treat the hire car, a Tiguan, as my own until that point, don’t worry about mileage, if the fix doesn’t come or doesn’t work then I will just keep on at them, they admitted there is a problem and it was their suggestion to get me into a courtesy car. 

If the ‘fix’ changes nothing then I’ll push for a replacement or a rejection. 

VAG could be trying to 'manage' customers out of rejections. They do not have your best interests at heart. You can all still reject cars - After 6 months the onus is on customer to prove issue existed at time of purchase (before 6 months any issues are automatically considered inherent). Refer Consumer Rights Act 2015 (unsatisfactory quality). You have all given your retailers plenty of time to resolve issues. They haven't. Your contract is with the retailer (or Finance company if you bought through finance)  and these are the only people you need to communicate with, NOT Skoda UK.

If you reject, and still want to buy a Karoq in the future there will be plenty available on forecourts, at cheaper price. Shockingly we were told the car we rejected was for going for resale.

For those who have just bought this car, if the retailer did not tell you about the issues beforehand they could be in breach of Trading Standard Regulations, misleading omissions. 

• Thanks 1

Re: loan cars - retailer told us the same... treat like your own.... except you cannot transport pets in them or take abroad and are still liable for damage excess, all while you are still paying insurance, tax etc on your own Karoq... and they then removed it from with us with only a couple days notice, leaving us without any car at all - they we trying to force us to take back our own car

2 hours ago, LittleOwl said:

VAG could be trying to 'manage' customers out of rejections. They do not have your best interests at heart. You can all still reject cars - After 6 months the onus is on customer to prove issue existed at time of purchase (before 6 months any issues are automatically considered inherent). Refer Consumer Rights Act 2015 (unsatisfactory quality). You have all given your retailers plenty of time to resolve issues. They haven't. Your contract is with the retailer (or Finance company if you bought through finance)  and these are the only people you need to communicate with, NOT Skoda UK.

If you reject, and still want to buy a Karoq in the future there will be plenty available on forecourts, at cheaper price. Shockingly we were told the car we rejected was for going for resale.

For those who have just bought this car, if the retailer did not tell you about the issues beforehand they could be in breach of Trading Standard Regulations, misleading omissions. 

That's something that Watchdog should be informed about as well, by those who are in communication with them. Putting a known potentially dangerous car back on the road!

4 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

I reverse into my drive because it's very tight being up a narrow private road with no pavement. No need to give the Karoq many revs whilst parking as it does not (as many have said before) kangaroo in reverse. I do not drive the Karoq quickly but you have to drive around the revs dropping as the clutch is let out.:angel:

How do you get back out again? :wondering:

29 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

How do you get back out again? :wondering:

I let the clutch out slowly in 1st of course and turn left slowly or I will end up at the bottom of a steep drainage ditch. As the cold engine is revving at 1,200rpm you do not need any throttle whatsoever. As soon as the car is straight pop it into 2nd gear and all is well no kangarooing. If you don't own one of these problem childs then it is easy to cast stones/comments from the comfort of your home/office and pontificate to actual owners where they are going wrong in driving their cars. Ours is not as dangerous as others have reported with no cutting out at junctions or roundabouts but it can make a very experienced driver look silly, when it wants to.:rofl:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

I let the clutch out slowly in 1st of course and turn left slowly or I will end up at the bottom of a steep drainage ditch. As the cold engine is revving at 1,200rpm you do not need any throttle whatsoever. As soon as the car is straight pop it into 2nd gear and all is well no kangarooing. If you don't own one of these problem childs then it is easy to cast stones/comments from the comfort of your home/office and pontificate to actual owners where they are going wrong in driving their cars. Ours is not as dangerous as others have reported with no cutting out at junctions or roundabouts but it can make a very experienced driver look silly, when it wants to.:rofl:

At the end of July last year I had my order for a Karoq 1.5 DSG Edition cancelled by Skoda, at the time I was really pi**ed off, yes I could have gone for the SEL but it would have cost a lot more to spec the SEL up to Edition levels. As I lease my cars I looked for alternatives within the monthly lease costs that I had been quoted for the Karoq, Volvo dealers were doing really good deals within my original budget so I ended up going for an XC60 T5 Momentum spec, having had the car for 5 weeks I can honestly say that I love the car, I understand all your frustrations  and feel for all you Karoq owners that are having these problems. I know that if I had ended up with a Karoq with all these problems it would have driven me mad with frustration knowing that Skoda seem to just hope that their customers get on with it and only those people who push hard enough either get a hire car or are able to reject the car.

Good luck and keep pushing Skoda for a resolution. 

25 minutes ago, Raymondo111 said:

At the end of July last year I had my order for a Karoq 1.5 DSG Edition cancelled by Skoda, at the time I was really pi**ed off, yes I could have gone for the SEL but it would have cost a lot more to spec the SEL up to Edition levels. As I lease my cars I looked for alternatives within the monthly lease costs that I had been quoted for the Karoq, Volvo dealers were doing really good deals within my original budget so I ended up going for an XC60 T5 Momentum spec, having had the car for 5 weeks I can honestly say that I love the car, I understand all your frustrations  and feel for all you Karoq owners that are having these problems. I know that if I had ended up with a Karoq with all these problems it would have driven me mad with frustration knowing that Skoda seem to just hope that their customers get on with it and only those people who push hard enough either get a hire car or are able to reject the car.

Good luck and keep pushing Skoda for a resolution. 

Funny enough a good friend of mine has had to trade in her Mercedes SLC for a XC60 due to bad back and she is delighted with the Volvo also. I have had a passenger ride with the wife and we were very comfortable even though we are 6 feet and 5 feet 10" tall.:thumbup:

2 hours ago, VAGCF said:

That's something that Watchdog should be informed about as well, by those who are in communication with them. Putting a known potentially dangerous car back on the road!

In a phone call yesterday with Skoda UK, I was told that rejected cars aren't allowed to be put back on the road - had I thought, I should have asked what did happen to them.

However, I asked if cars with 1.5 engines were still being sold and was told 'yes'. So I said, 'well, a fix has been found then?' 'No, a fix hasn't been found'. So, then I queried 'Does this still mean that you are selling cars with a dangerous fault ....... but you don't know which ones they are .......... until one is returned by a customer?' With that I said that I was, at best amazed and at worst, appalled and asked if I wouldn't be better simply rejecting the car, taking my money, and having nothing more to do with Skoda. Presumably this sort of nonsense is being replicated for VW and Seat as well as Skoda. At that point, I realised that I was going 'all Watchdog' and thought it best to leave it to the professionals ......... it would make a great programme if they got off their asses.

I have no personal gripe with any of the people with whom I have been dealing  - as I said before, my dealer is a decent chap and the ones at Skoda UK are only being told what they have to say. It's the people at the top who need to be threshed with the honesty stick.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Ours is not as dangerous as others have reported with no cutting out at junctions or roundabouts but it can make a very experienced driver look silly, when it wants to.:rofl:

I can totally agree with that after my 70 mile trip to the big city with all the stopping and starting at lights and kamakaze roundabouts and drivers etc etc.

If the update exists why isn't it implemented before Q2 as that could be as late as June.

12 hours ago, Apprentice said:

I can totally agree with that after my 70 mile trip to the big city with all the stopping and starting at lights and kamakaze roundabouts and drivers etc etc.

If the update exists why isn't it implemented before Q2 as that could be as late as June.

What leads you to think that the update exists?

Edited by StEdmund
single word omission