1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

10 minutes ago, fidelio said:

Do you know if a version for MY18 is available?

Mine is a MY18 Octavia. I got it last July, the ‘roo was diagnosed in September and at that time there was already something on their system about it requiring a software update. It’ll finally get it this September.

3 minutes ago, DC79 said:

Mine is a MY18 Octavia. I got it last July, the ‘roo was diagnosed in September and at that time there was already something on their system about it requiring a software update. It’ll finally get it this September.

Is it just the judder or did you ever get hesitation by the car in the low gears? It is are but alarming when pulling out into traffic or entering a roundabout. 

2 minutes ago, DC79 said:

Do you mean they called you for an update or are you guessing this will happen this September?

Its exactly my case too. Got it late June and had a software update in September which revealed the kangaroo. Never had the flat spot in second gear, luckily.

I'd dropped it off at the service centre after a very hairy commute home. It's been there since last week pending my contact with customer service. The timing is crazy as I'm waiting to hear from customer relations staff by Wednesday and news of the fix comes out today... No idea when they will do it just waiting for a note on that from dealer. 

20 minutes ago, fidelio said:

Do you mean they called you for an update or are you guessing this will happen this September?

Its exactly my case too. Got it late June and had a software update in September which revealed the kangaroo. Never had the flat spot in second gear, luckily.

The dealer called me to say a new update was available now but they’re busy and the earliest they could book me in is early September. My car’s always had the ‘roo in 1st. There’s occasional judder in 2nd. I’m not sure if it has the same hesitation as others have reported, sometimes I’ll put my foot down in 2nd or 3rd and the car will slow down before speeding up. Not a total loss of power though.

I received my car in June (1.5 TSI Manual) and the first week I had 0 issues, but after that I definitely see a lot of kangarooing in 1st Gear, especially on the first outing of the day. I took the car to my Skoda dealer 5 weeks after delivery and they said in their system they see Skoda is working on a fix, and my car's software was up to date at the point of leaving the factory. When I asked about a possible rejection, the Service Admin (not technician, but the phone guy), told me that as I'm on a PCP I can just "hand it back after 3 years happy days" if there becomes a stigma to this issue. I'm very conscious of resale value due to maybe moving country in 3 years, and buying out car ownership on the PCP and selling it right away was the original plan!

I was considering making an official complaint to Skoda, but I got a cal on Friday last week saying there is now an update specifically regarding "throttle response" for 1.5 engine 1st gear issues and I'm having the fix applied tomorrow. I'm going to see how it goes, but from reading through this thread it seems that i'm now in a 2-6 month period where a rejection can still be considered if it doesn't fix the issue. Is anyone able to link through this 96 pages of posts, or help me figure out some good next steps if I still have the issue?

Thanks

Edited by kerbero5

5 minutes ago, kerbero5 said:

I received my car in March (1.5 TSI Manual) and the first week I had 0 issues, but after that I definitely see a lot of kangarooing in 1st Gear, especially on the first outing of the day. I took the car to my Skoda dealer 5 weeks after delivery and they said in their system they see Skoda is working on a fix. When I asked about a possible rejection, the Service Admin (not technician, but the phone guy), told me that as I'm on a PCP I can just "hand it back after 3 years happy days" if there becomes a stigma to this issue. I'm very conscious of resale value due to maybe moving country in 3 years, and buying out car ownership on the PCP and selling it right away was the original plan!

I was considering making an official complaint to Skoda, but I got a cal on Friday last week saying there is now an update specifically regarding "throttle response" for 1.5 engine 1st gear issues and I'm having the fix applied tomorrow. I'm going to see how it goes, but from reading through this thread it seems that i'm now in a 2-6 month period where a rejection can still be considered if it doesn't fix the issue. Is anyone able to link through this 96 pages of posts, or help me figure out some good next steps if I still have the issue?

Thanks

was having similar thoughts as you before the prospect of a new fix came into view.  The best source of online advice summarising our rights I found was here  https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejecting-a-car/

The page suggests it may not be as cut and dry as you might like but it's an option to reject in the first 6 months but after 30 days due to the losses involved for the dealer. 

The nuclear option is buying it out and selling on as you've suggested even if that means losing your deposit and some depreciation value too. 

I'm hopeful that having had months to work on it, this fix is the one! Fingers crossed. 

• Thanks 1

As I sit writing this post, my MY18 Karoq 1.5tsi manual  is right now having a software upgrade at Rainworth Skoda. (no mention of “fix”)

I’m advised I’ll have to run it for 600 miles to see whether or not it’s been effective.

We shall see. 

Anyone else had the same upgrade and advice?

• Like 1

Mine was done yesterday. Covered about 40 miles but far too early to judge if problem is gone forever!  A few hundred miles and a lot of cold starts to check if the fix has worked will be needed to give me peace of mind.  That said, I felt a small but positive difference in my morning commute today... Here's hoping!! 

• Like 1

I just had a software update today, which was listed as "throttle response in lower gears". I was told that the technical details were noted as remapping and reconfiguring the clutch bite point and so on....but have no clue if that's true or not.

I just drove about 25 miles around town and there is a pretty noticeable difference pulling out of junctions and roundabouts. The throttle doesn't drop out at all, but i'm not going to commit to it being fixed until I've had a week to test

Having picked up our 1.5TSi manual Karoq on 26/01/18 I have run out of patience waiting for the FIX promised in Q2 this year. Just returned from the local dealer where I've bought a brand new Octavia Vrs245 DSG to replace skippy when it goes into have the first service on Friday 30/08/19 at approximately 18,700 miles. No more embarrassing 1st gear cold start pull aways after next week. It has lost £6,500 in 19 months but just glad to be moving on with something that will be nicer to drive and having covered nearly 25,000 miles in my manual 245 already it is a known quantity to me. Good luck to everyone currently getting the fix done it is a shame that a fundamentally good car has been spoilt by this software glitch which should have been picked up before production started in late 2017.:thinking:

Edited by shyVRS245
MISSING WORD

1 hour ago, kerbero5 said:

I just had a software update today, which was listed as "throttle response in lower gears". I was told that the technical details were noted as remapping and reconfiguring the clutch bite point and so on....but have no clue if that's true or not.

I just drove about 25 miles around town and there is a pretty noticeable difference pulling out of junctions and roundabouts. The throttle doesn't drop out at all, but i'm not going to commit to it being fixed until I've had a week to test

Having driven 1700+ miles since the update for "hesitation"/lack of throttle power at low revs in 2nd gear in my MY19 Karoq it hasn't occured since thank goodness.

The Karoq didn't have the cold start K'roo problem although briefly had some Joey hops post update for a few days then no more, ECU learning process?

Yesterday's return trip to a hospital appointment gave good mpg which I have found can drop to 43mpg on heavier use of the right foot and delayed upchanges of gear.

Karoq 1.5TSI EVO MY19.JPG

Edited by Apprentice
typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ducked said:

Had the update some 2000 miles ago still getting kangaroo and some times getting no throttle response when in 2nd gear on slow corner's ect when you should be able to continue in 2nd. 

That’s the old one. There’s now a new one. 

I had mine last November and promptly stalled it the 1st time out. I've followed this thread thread since then. It went back to the dealers several times and  I listened to all the 2nd quarter fix BS etc etc. I've now done 29000 miles in it and it's the same as day 1. We originally thought it was just when the weather was cold or just on a cold start but it's done the rooing and loss of power throughout the 'summer's months. After reading some of the latest comments I'll give Skoda a call as it due for an oil change next week and see if they can install the update. Fingers crossed 

My MY 18 manual had it’s update yesterday after which I took it out for a run. I found that the engine dying suddenly when moving off wasn't totally eradicated but was not  as evident as it had been previously.  My only concern is that the engine was still warm after being road tested by the dealership. A better test will be later this morning when the engine will be started from cold.  The dealership advice was that it will take 600 miles for the update  to become fully effective  but I’ll post an update of my findings later.

7 minutes ago, AMC150 said:

My MY 18 manual had it’s update yesterday after which I took it out for a run. I found that the engine dying suddenly when moving off wasn't totally eradicated but was not  as evident as it had been previously.  My only concern is that the engine was still warm after being road tested by the dealership. A better test will be later this morning when the engine will be started from cold.  The dealership advice was that it will take 600 miles for the update  to become fully effective  but I’ll post an update of my findings later.

If the engine was warm and it still dies have you been getting this whether cold or hot? Maybe you have another problem not related to the problems here?

Edited by tigermad

37 minutes ago, tigermad said:

If the engine was warm and it still dies have you been getting this whether cold or hot? Maybe you have another problem not related to the problems here?

Yes cold or hot like many others in this forum. No other faults apparent so I’ll see what happens over the next 600 miles. 

Right now wait my car from service for update. It is Octavia MY18.

Service man said this update was released still not for all Octavia (like I think after few last post here). 

And He said they did some update befor for different car and it fix kangaroo just for one week, after jerking  come back again:(

**** news. Let see, what this update give for me. My car jerking every time with cold and warm engine...

Edited by kifir

18km after update, car feel completely different. Kangaroo go away! 

Acceleration linear and smooth. In some moments a jerking is very rarely felt, but they are not significant and barely noticeable (maybe the reason is that my nervous system is too sensitive after 10 months of hell with my car). 

Let see what happens when engine will be cold, dnd I hope kangaroo doesn’t back after few weeks.