1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

2 minutes ago, tigermad said:

That’s what I was wondering too. Only 1 response isn’t much to go on.  

Mine had the April (successful) update to stop it dying when leaving junctions etc and is in line for the further update to steady the kangaroo when taking off. From a conversation I had with my dealer this morning, it would appear that the latest updates are specific to certain build-dates, chassis numbers etc. I have not qualified for the second update yet.

As for the '600 miles for the ECU to get used to your driving style, sir', I suspect it's the other way round ........ 600 miles for you to learn to tame the kangaroo. By judicious use of clutch/throttle, I can now almost leave the drive without the neighbours thinking that I have only just passed my test. 😵

• Haha 2

On 23/08/2019 at 10:29, tigermad said:

So what’s still happening at the moment?

1 hour ago, tigermad said:

That’s what I was wondering too. Only 1 response isn’t much to go on.  

Better but not perfect. Not much choice but to wait until 600 miles covered as per advice. Not holding my breath. Not sure I believe all this 600 mile thing. How does it “learn” if there are multiple drivers.

Incidence of engine dying improved but not quite right yet.

We shall  see. 

21 minutes ago, AndyKaroq said:

HI my Karoq 1.5TSI is going in Friday afternoon for the second and supposedly final update. I will report on here as last one the difference was immediate. I cannot understand the 600 mile statement.

No me neither. Not holding my breath.

I presume the software update resets all software parameters to the same initial state as when a car leaves the factory.

For instance, from reading the VAG self study programs that most TSI engines are fitted with variable pressure/delivery oil pumps, the pressure and flow is controlled by the ecu. In the case of the 1.4 ACT tsi, its a two stage hi/lo parameter and in case of 1.0tsi (possibly 1.5tsi) pressure is fully variable and is mapped to vary with rpm and torque demand.

When coming out of the factory, oil pressure is set by default to be constant full output for the first 600 miles (1000km) to aid running in, after which it drops to the normal mapped variable output, and you should notice a step up in fuel economy.

Other variables will adapt over the same 600 mile run in period. Not really about driving style though.

6 hours ago, xman said:

I presume the software update resets all software parameters to the same initial state as when a car leaves the factory.

For instance, from reading the VAG self study programs that most TSI engines are fitted with variable pressure/delivery oil pumps, the pressure and flow is controlled by the ecu. In the case of the 1.4 ACT tsi, its a two stage hi/lo parameter and in case of 1.0tsi (possibly 1.5tsi) pressure is fully variable and is mapped to vary with rpm and torque demand.

When coming out of the factory, oil pressure is set by default to be constant full output for the first 600 miles (1000km) to aid running in, after which it drops to the normal mapped variable output, and you should notice a step up in fuel economy.

Other variables will adapt over the same 600 mile run in period. Not really about driving style though.

Do you think this should improve with mileage, or programmatically set a mile of 600 miles and changes will happen immediately after that?

17 hours ago, xman said:

It seems to me that the 600 mile period of  adaptation of variables is making the kangaroo problem worse

In my case (MY19  1.5 manual) I had the poor throttle response software update in April. It seemed to have very little kangaroo after that. Gradually over the next 600 miles the kangaroo got much worse (even in warmer weather), and now it is even worse than before the update.

On top of that it doesn't  seem to have significantly improved fuel efficiency over those 600 miles.

21 hours ago, StEdmund said:

As for the '600 miles for the ECU to get used to your driving style, sir', I suspect it's the other way round ........ 600 miles for you to learn to tame the kangaroo. By judicious use of clutch/throttle, I can now almost leave the drive without the neighbours thinking that I have only just passed my test. 😵

Couldn't agree more :)

This 600 miles is plain BS in the hope they buy more time.

• Thanks 1

My dealer is taking my Karoq in to gather diagnostics after the recent update started to show the issue again. It’s much less certainly but it’s not fixed at all. I’m wondering about good alternatives if I need to reject the car...the problem is that the 1.5TSI really is the best car for me. I don’t drive long distance enough to warrant diesel and I need the highest EU6 rating as family live in Belgium where certain cities are restricting diesels now...

I love this car apart from this one issue!

Edited by kerbero5

Allow Skoda to give you a new one they have in stock now at a Dealership as a demonstrator which should not have the issue.

This is the least they can do for you giving them the chance to get the lemon fixed.

Nice of you to help Skoda / VW with R&D at your expense.

1 hour ago, Roottootemoot said:

Allow Skoda to give you a new one they have in stock now at a Dealership as a demonstrator which should not have the issue.

This is the least they can do for you giving them the chance to get the lemon fixed.

Nice of you to help Skoda / VW with R&D at your expense.

Are you saying that new MY20 1.5 TSI models don’t have the issue? I only received mine in June after all this and hoped that a new engine wouldn’t have any issues...but guess I was wrong!

• Like 1

Morning,

I'm back from France since the update and 1400 miles later and still no loss of power. Possibly so mild juddering in 1st gear. Not sure if engines still need to be run in these days but MPG seems better as well (I appreciate cruising of French motorways is better for MPG but still seems better). Car has done around 4500 miles now.

14 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

There are MY19's without issues. 

If they are producing MY20 that have fundamental faults due to dodge engine management software they really are in trouble.

Well...they knew of the issue back wit the MY18 models, so I don't think that is a cause for them to stop producing MY20's if they still have the issue.

I picked my car with a certain spec, and I don't want to just get an ex-demo which doesn't have the things I picked like heated windscreen, canton sound and ACC!

7 minutes ago, kerbero5 said:

Well...they knew of the issue back wit the MY18 models, so I don't think that is a cause for them to stop producing MY20's if they still have the issue.

I picked my car with a certain spec, and I don't want to just get an ex-demo which doesn't have the things I picked like heated windscreen, canton sound and ACC!

Did it come with the FREE option of the 1st gear lurch though?:whew:

Just a quick one I am having this last update tomorrow. Has anyone gone down the road of an after market remap to sort this ECU issue out. Just wondering as would be a darn site cheaper than changing what is basically a great vehicle if this issue was sorted.

I imagine that a remap would sort it out as the process wouldn't be limited by fuel economy, emissions and other constraints in the same way as any Skoda reprogramming process would. 

However, others have raised concerns over warranty invalidation. For my part, I don't see why a buyer should even have to contemplate paying a third party additional sums to get the car into the condition it should have been in ex-factory. That's letting Skoda off the hook.

Yes completely agree but it’s something I will be checking with Skoda uk after the run in period of this next update. As I said apart from this issue it ticks all the boxes I need. I will report on the update when done and got a few miles on it.

6 hours ago, kerbero5 said:

My car is a week 4 build but I've not heard from Skoda UK yet so I'm guessing the latest update isn't for my 1.5 engine. I considered rejecting mine but I'm in the same position as @kerbero5 as I have a car with options that I chose and I wouldn't get those again unless I could get a brand new car. 

On 28/08/2019 at 14:58, DaveW25 said:

It seems to me that the 600 mile period of  adaptation of variables is making the kangaroo problem worse

In my case (MY19  1.5 manual) I had the poor throttle response software update in April. It seemed to have very little kangaroo after that. Gradually over the next 600 miles the kangaroo got much worse (even in warmer weather), and now it is even worse than before the update.

On top of that it doesn't  seem to have significantly improved fuel efficiency over those 600 miles.

Hi DaveW25, do you have any more news since you had your update in April? You said things are worse after 600 miles. Have you rejected your car, or are you going to be having the latest update?

If anyone knows of a trusted Software Engineer or Company with a Remap for a 1.5 TSI EVO then maybe post here who they are and also in the Performance Section as there is a member asking there.

Also let VW / Skoda know as i am sure they could do with more help, they are only the biggest Car Manufacturer in the world.

28 minutes ago, Karr3 said:

Hi DaveW25, do you have any more news since you had your update in April? You said things are worse after 600 miles. Have you rejected your car, or are you going to be having the latest update?

It's only the kangaroo that's worse, otherwise the April update has continued to be an improvement in throttle response. I hope there is an a update for the kangaroo in MY19 cars - I'll wait till service in November when there should be some feedback from members running the new software for more than 600 miles and then discuss it with Skoda UK.

5 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

If anyone knows of a trusted Software Engineer or Company with a Remap for a 1.5 TSI EVO then maybe post here who they are and also in the Performance Section as there is a member asking there.

Also let VW / Skoda know as i am sure they could do with more help, they are only the biggest Car Manufacturer in the world.

Had a look at the Superchips website a remap for the 1.0TSI is available but nothing available for the 1.5TSI according to the search tab, guess one would need to phone them to see what's what.

https://www.superchips.co.uk/search?make=33&fueltype=3&model=662&variant=3979