1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

We have the 150PS DADA engine in our 2017 built Karoq which had the software patch a few months ago which has eliminated the jerkiness in 1st gear when the engine was cold presumably increasing the torque from the alternator. Car now covered 23,500 miles and last Saturday drove to Heathrow and back home a total of 225 miles and it averaged 57.0mpg according to the maxidot.:biggrin:

5 hours ago, kifir said:

@shyVRS245

what is update version?

It is that september - december update or something new? 

We had it done at the end of August 2019 which was the only software patch applied on our 2017 built car. Seems to have worked and recently averaged 57.0mpg on a longer 225 mile drive (440km).

10 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Seems to have worked and recently averaged 57.0mpg on a longer 225 mile drive (440km).

That's an impressive mpg - can I ask what 'Mode' setting you use, please?

5 minutes ago, StEdmund said:

That's an impressive mpg - can I ask what 'Mode' setting you use, please?

Just checked the photo and it was in Normal mode but usually drive in Sport but must have forgot to change it I was very busy on Saturday before going to the Airport.

8 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Just checked the photo and it was in Normal mode but usually drive in Sport but must have forgot to change it I was very busy on Saturday before going to the Airport.

Thanks, that's interesting. I have tried different modes but usually have settled for 'sport' with its stiffened steering - I must try and analyse the differences more closely and see how they relate to mpg. Maybe I should try doing a number of brim to brims whilst sticking to one mode, then move on to another. I appreciate that this sort of analysis is always going to be difficult because of different journeys and different weather conditions.

8 minutes ago, StEdmund said:

Thanks, that's interesting. I have tried different modes but usually have settled for 'sport' with its stiffened steering - I must try and analyse the differences more closely and see how they relate to mpg. Maybe I should try doing a number of brim to brims whilst sticking to one mode, then move on to another. I appreciate that this sort of analysis is always going to be difficult because of different journeys and different weather conditions.

That would be the scientific way to compare different modes. I always brim to brim our cars and monitor fuel consumption because it can give you early indications of any problems that might be round the corner. My current car when standard (283bhp) averaged 39.73mpg then with a stage 1 remap has just averaged 39.99mpg despite now producing 360bhp. My Superb starts in Normal mode but I soon change it to Eco mode because the 7 speed DSG box really benefits from the coasting function and I never switch off the stop/start system on either car because I believe it benefits fuel consumption. From 2017 my 336bhp Octavia Vrs245 running stage 2 hardware and map averaged 40.3mpg over 29,000 miles which is very impressive given the performance on offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StEdmund said:

I took the advice from Shy and used Eco mode with the DSG to get the best out of coasting then put the cruise control back on when the road is uphill. On long runs with very careful use of the throttle the best I have achieved is 45mpg with an overall average of 38mpg over 10,000 miles. Looking at other peoples Karoq 1.5 DSG's this is about right

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Doogle69 said:

I took the advice from Shy and used Eco mode with the DSG to get the best out of coasting then put the cruise control back on when the road is uphill. On long runs with very careful use of the throttle the best I have achieved is 45mpg with an overall average of 38mpg over 10,000 miles. Looking at other peoples Karoq 1.5 DSG's this is about right

Our manual has averaged 43.6mpg.

1 hour ago, Doogle69 said:

These figures are close to what I am getting. My 7000 mile average is around 36/37 and 45 on a 50 mile dual carriageway run.

tom

Reported the ongoing 1st & 2nd gear issues to DVSA & mentioned 24EV update, Dekra report & recall info on Gov.UK. Have been given a ref number & they are now reviewing my case. Can a workshop campaign & a safety recall have the same number, eg. 24EV?

Hi

I first posted on this topic the week after picking up my car in November 2018. Lots of kangaroo and the odd stall in first and 2and gear. Skoda initially said I needed to change how I drive blah blah blah. Anyway last week it had the update and it has definitely worked, but now my car sounds like a boy racer car with the turbo blowing when I change gear. Quite funny at first but now a bit annoying. Anyone else had this?

My 1.5 tsi manual was manufactured March 2018.

I've never had the major problems others have with kangarooing etc.. but since it's just been serviced it is noticeably smoother in 1st/2nd gear. Obviously an upgrade done. Just relieved I never had the ball ache others have.

Overall they're cracking cars. Hoping to upgrade to a Sport Line when my current PCH is done but they are a bit expensive. 

I have a May 2019 Superb with the 1.5TSI engine some of which also suffer with the kangarooing problem. Bought it used but insisted on it having the remedial software update and test drives when cold before I would accept it. That was 3 weeks ago and have had no signs of the said problem. I think the software update was called EV24. There's no reference to it on my Skoda Connect app.

To help reduce/eliminate kangarooing etc I received the advice to turn off stop/start and auto hold, and use 98 RON petrol. Can't tell you whether that works as thank goodness I haven't had to try it!

5 minutes ago, MASKO said:

To help reduce/eliminate kangarooing etc I received the advice to turn off stop/start and auto hold, and use 98 RON petrol. Can't tell you whether that works as thank goodness I haven't had to try it!

It doesn’t work at all 😞

@MASKO

?

What was the persons job at the dealership that gave you the advice on what to do?

I wonder if the person that told you to use 98 ron knew that Super Unleaded sold in the UK is 97 ron unless you buy Tesco Momentum 99 or Shell V-Power Nitro+.

They are comedians really because as nice as the higher octane is and worth every penny extra which is only 5 pence a litre more for Momentum over 95 ron, 

if that is what is needed then VW Group / Skoda need to be issue owners a fuel card and have owners with cars fit for purpose and that can use the features they paid for like Autohold

and Stop / Start.

• Thanks 1

Totally outstanding service from the executive office "customer care team" today who told me "Please be aware any further contacted will be noted but not actioned."

• Groan 1

Skoda UK executive office getting fed up with me trying to obtain info about 24EV update I had done in October. My car still has problems, they say it hasn't & the update was not a "repair" for juddering & hesitation in 1st & 2nd gears. Looks like they won't respond to any more of my calls or emails.

On the question of what fuel to use my handbook (and sticker on fuel flap) states use min 95 RON. The handbook also states the following:

■ Unleaded petrol that has a higher octane number than that required by the
engine can be used without limitations.
■ The use of petrol with an octane rating higher than 95 RON does not result
in either a noticeable increase in power nor lower fuel consumption in vehicles
for which unleaded petrol 95/min 92 or 93 RON is specified.
■ On vehicles using prescribed petrol of min. 95 RON, the use of petrol with a
higher octane number than 95 RON can increase the power and reduce fuel
consumption.

This indicates I could use 97/98 RON if I wish.