1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

1 hour ago, opb1 said:

Hi I was intending to purchase a SKODA KAROQ 1.5 TSI (150PS) SE L ACT DSG (69 model). after hearing about the kangaroo issue with this engine I am a little worried. Am I at risk of running into these problems or is it just the manual? 

Here is the link to the specific car https://usedcars.skoda.co.uk/en/used-cars/skoda/karoq/edition-15-tsi-150-ps-dsg-jqb8sb4

That seems to be a remarkably good price for a car of that spec but I'm afraid it wouldn't tempt me. We had a great deal of trouble initially with our 1.5 manual Karoq; it is running pretty well at the moment, but I can't help thinking that the engine design is flawed.

• Thanks 1

Another thought the Edition model shown has 19" alloys with low profile tyres compared to SEL models with 215/50R18 tyres and 18" alloys which give a better ride than the Edition model. Another reason to take a test drive to see if the nice looks of the larger wheels are not offset by the poorer ride quality.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

We have owned the manual version since Jan 2018 with this engine and thankfully the software patch the dealer applied last year solved the hesitation issues. The reports for the DSG model suggested there were stalling issues pulling out of T-Junctions and when pulling onto roundabouts so I would really recommend having a long and thorough test drive of the exact model you intend to buy before making any decision. If the car has any problems it will be most noticeable when the engine is cold (not upto temperature) and in 1st or 2nd gear. Hopefully they have resolved the problem thought to be with a lack of torque at low revs to do with the alternator by the time 69 reg cars came along but best to be certain.:wondering:

Did you mean to say Manual? I don't remember any reports of stalling issues with DSG's?

In answer to the question the advice about test drives are very good.

My 18 plate DSG has had hesitancy from initial start up and still seems to have that but NEVER any safety concerns.

My niggling thought is that engine might not be quite right but it is a really nice car and my wife loves it.

DsG was a new experience for me and I  don't think I would go back to a manual again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MJ1 said:

Did you mean to say Manual? I don't remember any reports of stalling issues with DSG's?

In answer to the question the advice about test drives are very good.

My 18 plate DSG has had hesitancy from initial start up and still seems to have that but NEVER any safety concerns.

My niggling thought is that engine might not be quite right but it is a really nice car and my wife loves it.

DsG was a new experience for me and I  don't think I would go back to a manual again.

Pretty sure a couple of customers reported on these 115 pages they had rejected DSG cars on safety grounds due to cars apparently stalling when pulling out onto busy roads/roundabouts.:wondering:

• Thanks 1

Not from my memory, I  have been following the thread since it started, always manual cars rejected as the DSG seems to be able to cope. Happy for me to be proven wrong?

Anyway the advice to test drive cold is spot on and something to consider for any new purchase.

Also the neat advice about getting dealer to agree to buy it back if there is an issue .

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Pretty sure a couple of customers reported on these 115 pages they had rejected DSG cars on safety grounds due to cars apparently stalling when pulling out onto busy roads/roundabouts.:wondering:

That was my recollection too, though the problems were far more frequently associated with manual gearboxes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@MJ1 Your memory is not so good or just you missed the posts on those that did have DSG issues and got shot of the cars, some lost money, some got help from Skoda / Dealers.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/461809-15-tsi-with-7-speed-dsg

Fair enough...

Your Google Fuu is strong...

:)

All in all an odd state of affairs and bound to sow doubt in purchasers minds...

Mind you as mentioned by others, manufacturers are always going to have problems and not just VWG cars....

• Haha 2

• 9 months later...

Perhaps different software updates for other engine versions.

My 2019 build 1.5 has had 2 software updates and is now fault free and a pleasure to drive but I understand that some owners of earlier cars still have problems.

18 minutes ago, Karock said:

Perhaps different software updates for other engine versions.

My 2019 build 1.5 has had 2 software updates and is now fault free and a pleasure to drive but I understand that some owners of earlier cars still have problems.

When was last one?

I have MY18, ECU 05E906018BH and now sw version 9622. I had only one update. It made my car a little better, but it still jerks in 1st and 2nd gear all the time.

I doubt that VAG will release more updates, but still a particle of hope lives in me. :(

I started this thread 3 years ago after delivery of my Karoq. Next week I say goodbye to it as my PCH has come to an end. I'm really sad that I had the issues I did, as there is so much to like about the car. Will I miss the car? No! Maybe my experience would have been more positive if I had had a car with a diesel engine or a later 1.5 model. The engine had it's software update but although it helped, it didn't completely sort the car. My next car is not a Skoda.Thank you to all of you for commenting on this thread over the last 3 years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Janner74 said:

I started this thread 3 years ago  ................

Thanks for kicking the thread off - a great many of us have been able to discuss the problems with the 1.5tsi and learn from one another on these pages. My Karoq was from the same era as yours; it displayed both the killer hesitancy and the 1st gear kangarooing - the former being sorted by the update, and the latter more or less sorted. Fortunately, most of my driving is on open roads, with little town driving - hence the car's behaviour is, for me, quite tolerable. As you say, 'there is so much to like about the car'  - which is fortunate because I didn't do a PCP deal and will probably be living with it into the foreseeable future.

Good luck with your next car; please come back onto this thread and let us know what you chose. It isn't easy at the moment with so many changes going on with car requirements; a friend has just 'done the right thing' and bought a Kia e-Niro, but he is experiencing problems on a par with our 1.5 Karoqs. He is now looking at the mechanism for rejecting it. 

• 1 month later...

I commented on this thread a few pages back now to say that my 2019 (19 plate) Ateca 1.5TSI manual was suffering from the 1st gear kangaroo effect when cold. 

Thankfully I finally got SEAT to acknowledge this after a CS complaint and a visit to a couple of different dealers. 

I wouldn’t say the car got completely fixed after it’s ECU update but it was 95% better and I could only really feel the roo a tiny bit when warm. 

Fast forward to now (about a year later) and over the last week or so, I can pretty much say the car is getting worse by the day and the kangaroo is returning. It’s really getting on my nerves. 

I never got out of SEAT what ECU version they updated my car to but the action was carried out just over a year ago now and as I say ha been pretty much OK for the last year or so. 

Its gotten that bad that I just hate driving the car. It says something when I much prefer jumping in my Citigo as it just drives away no issues at all and moving off from a stop is much easier!

does anyone know if any newer ECU updates were released during the last year? Anyone else experienced similar?

On 19/02/2021 at 17:12, StEdmund said:

Thanks for kicking the thread off - a great many of us have been able to discuss the problems with the 1.5tsi and learn from one another on these pages. My Karoq was from the same era as yours; it displayed both the killer hesitancy and the 1st gear kangarooing - the former being sorted by the update, and the latter more or less sorted. Fortunately, most of my driving is on open roads, with little town driving - hence the car's behaviour is, for me, quite tolerable. As you say, 'there is so much to like about the car'  - which is fortunate because I didn't do a PCP deal and will probably be living with it into the foreseeable future.

Good luck with your next car; please come back onto this thread and let us know what you chose. It isn't easy at the moment with so many changes going on with car requirements; a friend has just 'done the right thing' and bought a Kia e-Niro, but he is experiencing problems on a par with our 1.5 Karoqs. He is now looking at the mechanism for rejecting it. 

Thank you for the reply. I went back to what I now. I’ve got a 2017 CRV diesel. It doesn’t have all the gadgets my Karoq  had but it pulls away smoothly every time. 

Now changed my 2018 Karoq 1.5 Edition for a new 2021 1.5 Edition.  The 2018 car had two updates and whilst they improved matters the car still had a hesitancy when pulling away from cold, it did cure the kangaroo starts.

Now the 2021 car is a revelation and is what the 1.5 engine should have been in the first place.  It drives far smoother with no hesitancy when pulling away and the car is far quieter at motorway speeds. Not sure how the new car engine management systems differs from the updated old system but believe me it is most definitely a different car to drive.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2021 at 19:16, pryorkshire said:

Now the 2021 car is a revelation and is what the 1.5 engine should have been in the first place.  It drives far smoother with no hesitancy when pulling away and the car is far quieter at motorway speeds. Not sure how the new car engine management systems differs from the updated old system but believe me it is most definitely a different car to drive.

This is heartening news. I have a April 2018 octavia 1.5 that suffered with those problems as well as revving to over 2k when lifting clutch when stationary and in reverse.

a number of ECU updates removed / reduced most of the problems. Having said that i still had no confidence in a smooth pull away 100% of the time.

Now have a Karoq on order (admittedly its a DSG this time - which would help), and hoping that things have improved.

I complained to Skoda UK so many times that they gave me a £300 voucher - which I have spent on accessories for this one!

Can’t understand, how you after this terrible s... can go there and again bring money to this liars. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by kifir

Probably unrelated, on another forum (can't remember, I came across it via google) a guy with a 1.5tsi car (not a skoda) having horrible hesitation/jerking problems after his car had been stood a long while during lockdown mentioned he finally turned off the front assist, and all other assists and his car seemed to sort itself out. Concluded it might have been a radar unit or assist issue causing the car to jerk badly.

Could be worth a try I suppose if you have similar symptoms.

Edited by xman