1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

47 minutes ago, martin1199 said:

Hi All.

My 1.5 manual has know done 15000 in 5 months. It still kangaroos in all temps. But has anyone noticed that under load i.e full throttle in 3.4th you feel hesitation or slight missing as if the fuel or plugs are miss firing? It is only slight but noticeably or is it that I am getting to sensitive.

I haven’t noticed that but I have noticed that when changing up, if you lift off the gas anything but gently, there’s a slight cough, momentary dip. Not as bad as the 1st gear move off though,

Hi, new member here, but have been reading this forum since buying a manual petrol karoq in November 2018.

The kangarooing doesn't seem too bad on mine, but the lack of throttle response from a warm idling engine (1st and 2nd gear) is fairly frequent and possibly dangerous fault - not a 'characteristic'.

Verified and logged by the Skoda Cambridge garage, but no response yet.

2 points I'd like to check with everyone.-

1. Was the engine management software changed for new cars around Sept 2018? (WLTP changes?) - could be reason for less kangaroo.

2. Are we sure the engine isn't running on 2 cylinders at warm idle/ anti stall? - that's what my symptoms feel like (no eco indication on my display- but I don't trust VW).

4 hours ago, martin1199 said:

Hi All.

My 1.5 manual has know done 15000 in 5 months. It still kangaroos in all temps. But has anyone noticed that under load i.e full throttle in 3.4th you feel hesitation or slight missing as if the fuel or plugs are miss firing? It is only slight but noticeably or is it that I am getting to sensitive.

You can feel it in 3rd and 4th in mine is just not as evident but deffo there.

At last we have successfully rejected our 1.5 TSI manual and got a full refund! Was bought through PCP VW Finance. Skoda UK and dealership argued kangarooing was a 'characteristic' and that the loss of power (on even the slightest incline in low revs) was due to our 'driving style'. VW Finance accepted our rejection, even though Skoda UK said they did not confirm a manufacturing defect, because we had reproduced both issues to the dealership and no technical solution is available to rectify issues. Rejecting early using Consumer Rights Act (Unsatisfactory Quality clause) and refusing to take the car back or continuing to drive it, seem to have been key factors in rejection. It was not an easy process - all parties try everything to wear you down - but we got brilliant legal advice from Which? Legal Services (you pay a £9 monthly fee) and knowing that so many other owners are being given the run around, kept us fighting on! Thank you to everyone on this forum. Don't give in, the law is on your side...

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, Sieski said:

No mention of the infamous Mr. Skippy despite it being an early 67 plate manual like ours. Very strange or was he holding something back. Our economy at 46mpg much better than his 34mpg. Also on the motorway I can beat the official combined figure of 52mpg easily even during winter.:blink:

I'm planning a trip to my Skoda dealer next week to have them inspect my Karoq and to explain I'm not happy.

Out of interest, has anyone on here already discussed this with the Skoda dealer in Newcastle upon Tyne? 

Would like to be prepared just in case they start pleading ignorance about the problem. 

Cheers 

5 hours ago, LittleOwl said:

At last we have successfully rejected our 1.5 TSI manual and got a full refund! Was bought through PCP VW Finance. Skoda UK and dealership argued kangarooing was a 'characteristic' and that the loss of power (on even the slightest incline in low revs) was due to our 'driving style'. VW Finance accepted our rejection, even though Skoda UK said they did not confirm a manufacturing defect, because we had reproduced both issues to the dealership and no technical solution is available to rectify issues. Rejecting early using Consumer Rights Act (Unsatisfactory Quality clause) and refusing to take the car back or continuing to drive it, seem to have been key factors in rejection. It was not an easy process - all parties try everything to wear you down - but we got brilliant legal advice from Which? Legal Services (you pay a £9 monthly fee) and knowing that so many other owners are being given the run around, kept us fighting on! Thank you to everyone on this forum. Don't give in, the law is on your side...

Little owl ,which car you gone for now ?  Would you go for another Karoq?

28 minutes ago, Geordie66 said:

I'm planning a trip to my Skoda dealer next week to have them inspect my Karoq and to explain I'm not happy.

Out of interest, has anyone on here already discussed this with the Skoda dealer in Newcastle upon Tyne? 

Would like to be prepared just in case they start pleading ignorance about the problem. 

Cheers 

Yes I went in about a month ago. They said that they hadn't heard of any issues. They were not really interested to be fair as I wasn't  a customer and was just passing

I have been following, anxiously, this thread since the beginning awaiting delivery. Finally I've got my hands on my manual 1,5 tsi week48 build

I have not faced any hopping/kangarooing but I do have noticed a weak first gear. While I can work the clutch and manoeuvre brilliantly in my underground garage, I see that I need to rev over 2k rpm when starting from stop, e.g. waiting the stoplight. It reminds me of the behaviour some described in early '18 deliveries of needing to over-rev. Also it tends to stall on inclines. While not pleasant, it certainly isn't a deal breaker and not as grave as I feared; just needing to work on clutch and gas a bit more diligently. Plus, coming from '04 A4 and Yaris, I have no idea whether this is to be expected from these new fuel-minded engines.

Just my two cents after so much reading all of these months.

17 hours ago, LittleOwl said:

Well done, your persistence has paid off. Handing the keys and paperwork back and leaving it with the dealer is the only way to get rejection. The dealers will hide behind Skoda's statement that it is a characteristic but in reality the car wasn't purchased from Skoda, it was purchased from ******* . If your washing machine is faulty and can't be repaired you don't send it back to the manufacturer, it goes back to where you bought it from.

11 hours ago, Geordie66 said:

Cheers 

Any dealer that has the audacity to deny that they nothing about this issue and this is the first for them, should be treated with the contempt they deserve. We have all been guilty of being too polite. LittleOwl has shown what an be achieved. I just wish I had carried on when I first tried to reject mine. I gave in too easily and have now resigned to hoping that they do deliver on a solution.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Our economy at 46mpg much better than his 34mpg.

Maybe Mr Autotrader had the "fix" specially applied to press cars? :blush

No Karoqoo, but massive increase in consumption/emissions.....or am I being cynical/paranoid?

Coming to your dealer soon, in Q2......;)

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, xman said:

Maybe Mr Autotrader had the "fix" specially applied to press cars? :blush

No Karoqoo, but massive increase in consumption/emissions.....or am I being cynical/paranoid?

Coming to your dealer soon, in Q2......;)

If they wish to turn our NEDC car into a WLTP one then they can kiss my AR*E before they prise the keys from my DEAD body.:devil:

Edited by shyVRS245
spelling mistake
  • Haha 1

Hello I'm new to this forum. I wrote similar post to Octavia thread but I would like to write it also here because here it is more alive :).  I've recently obtained my new Octavia 1.5tsi with manual gearbox. I would like to ask some questions or add my view related to this problem/characteristic.

1.  I've seen some threads here for Octavia regarding issues with high revs or nose dive/kangaroo issues but not as many as for koroq or t-roc forums. There are many many more complains regarding this issue and more and more people complain for other models. This engine and gearbox is same across all VAG group (as far as I know). I'm wondering why are there only some models of cars where people complain about these issues. For some models there are only few people complaining (like here in Octavia thread) and for some models there are no complains

2.  As i mentioned I bought my new Skoda Octavia with 1.5tsi engine and manual gearbox. I can pull away pretty smooth without nose dive but when there is cold start I can't fully release the clutch in 1st gear. I need to change to 2nd gear a little bit before the clutch is fully released. Another option is to use higher revs. Also when I use only clutch to pull away (without any throttle) when engine is cold I need to change to 2nd gear before the clutch is fully released. When i change to 2nd there is no lack of power and car is moving smoothly without any issues. in some time after the cold start when the engine is warmer I can release the clutch fully in first gear on pull away.

Does anyone anyone have same experiences? I mean i can live with that "characteristic" i just need to be careful when I have cold start I need to change to 2nd before the clutch is fully released and after some time I can do what ever I want. I still wonder how it is possible that there is different behavior for this engine across VAG group models. Or is it the same but just different people feel it differently?

Welcome @trek , I can only assume that different vehicle models i.e. Octavia / T-Roc/ Karoq have slighlty different ecu maps for the fuelling and torque etc due to the size and weight of the vehicle in question.

Just a thought.

^^^
And I want to add that each model has different configurations/settings of the gearbox so each has different transmission ratios for particular seed set despite the engine is the same. 

On 19/01/2019 at 17:07, LittleOwl said:

I am also interested in what your next car is going to be (and everyone's else, who is considering rejecting Karoq with 1.5 TSI manual).

Would you consider another Karoq with a different engine? 1.5 TSI DSG?

If not, would you consider another car / compact SUV from the VW group?

Because they all come with the same mid-range petrol engine, which is the only reasonable choice for someone, who doesn't want a diesel.

3 hours ago, onvo said:

I am also interested in what your next car is going to be (and everyone's else, who is considering rejecting Karoq with 1.5 TSI manual).

Would you consider another Karoq with a different engine? 1.5 TSI DSG?

If not, would you consider another car / compact SUV from the VW group?

Because they all come with the same mid-range petrol engine, which is the only reasonable choice for someone, who doesn't want a diesel.

I've driven 3 SEAT Ateca variants, 1.4 TSi, 2.0 TSi FR, & a Cupra 2.0TSi.

The Cupra is seriously quick & well-equipped, but expensive, the 1.4 was adequate but the 190ps 2.0 TSi was impressive.

4WD when you need it, very nippy off the line & fun to drive. 

The Ateca & Karoq are very similar cars, but only SEAT get the good engines & slightly better handling too.

21 minutes ago, old newbie2 said:

I've driven 3 SEAT Ateca variants, 1.4 TSi, 2.0 TSi FR, & a Cupra 2.0TSi.

The Cupra is seriously quick & well-equipped, but expensive, the 1.4 was adequate but the 190ps 2.0 TSi was impressive.

4WD when you need it, very nippy off the line & fun to drive. 

The Ateca & Karoq are very similar cars, but only SEAT get the good engines & slightly better handling too.

Interestingly, in my country 1.4 has been already replaced with 1.5, and 2.0 TSI is only available on FR and Cupra versions, which are very uncomfortable over bumps.

My impression is, that Ateca has better exterior and handling, but worse interior and comfort.

42 minutes ago, old newbie2 said:

Seems Skoda might be getting a good engine too...

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

Skoda really are rougues, hiding behind doors.   I wrote to Skoda UK last week, asking them to deal with the FAULT and not to be insulting by calling it a CHARACTERISTIC, copying the message to BBC Watchdog.

Received a response, In which i replied with details off my experience with the dealer to date and that of others who have received no end of excuses.  Also received a phone call, which concluded she would speak to the factory and get back to me this week.  That was after she made it clear that Skoda  UK are only the importers which i gather excludes them from some kind of liability, since she mentioned it on phone and again in the email.

Received message yesterday, which also makes it very clear, that since Skoda do not acknowledge a FAULT, there is NO FIX planned.  Extract of message below:

Like all vehicles the engine takes time to warm up to core operating temperatures. It is correct that we do not consider the engine taking time to warm up to be a defect. We also do not recognise that there is a “kangarooing” problem that is to be fixed and that whilst the engine warms up the vehicle remains fully operable and operates without “jumping and jerking”. In addition, there is not a “fix” as such and I am sorry if this word has been used to confuse matters. ŠKODA like all brands release sequential software updates to get the very best of their vehicles. It is anticipated that this continued improvement may reduce any warm up time but it should not be confused with some form of a repair as there is no underlying defect. Whilst engine warm up times will of course be more noticeable during winter this does not represent a defect.

I hope they don't think, thats the end!  I will explore other avenues and Skoda will be hearing from me again.

1 hour ago, Salp said:

Skoda really are rougues, hiding behind doors.   I wrote to Skoda UK last week, asking them to deal with the FAULT and not to be insulting by calling it a CHARACTERISTIC, copying the message to BBC Watchdog.

Received a response, In which i replied with details off my experience with the dealer to date and that of others who have received no end of excuses.  Also received a phone call, which concluded she would speak to the factory and get back to me this week.  That was after she made it clear that Skoda  UK are only the importers which i gather excludes them from some kind of liability, since she mentioned it on phone and again in the email.

Received message yesterday, which also makes it very clear, that since Skoda do not acknowledge a FAULT, there is NO FIX planned.  Extract of message below:

Like all vehicles the engine takes time to warm up to core operating temperatures. It is correct that we do not consider the engine taking time to warm up to be a defect. We also do not recognise that there is a “kangarooing” problem that is to be fixed and that whilst the engine warms up the vehicle remains fully operable and operates without “jumping and jerking”. In addition, there is not a “fix” as such and I am sorry if this word has been used to confuse matters. ŠKODA like all brands release sequential software updates to get the very best of their vehicles. It is anticipated that this continued improvement may reduce any warm up time but it should not be confused with some form of a repair as there is no underlying defect. Whilst engine warm up times will of course be more noticeable during winter this does not represent a defect.

I hope they don't think, thats the end!  I will explore other avenues and Skoda will be hearing from me again.

They know very well that both Lookers and Dekra report the issue when warm or cold! I wonder if this is why they are trying to get another opinion off a second dealer for my car? Let's see if they deny it, because I will make them drive it with me until they confess the truth ! 

Edited by TheRealExile
Addition