1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

There's a business adage that goes something like "A complaint well-dealt with, will give you a customer for life". I don't believe that VW Group is aware of it. 

I'll tell you a true story ......

In 2005, we bought a new Bosch dishwasher. After 6 years of trouble-free use, in 2011, we received a letter from Bosch to say that there was an urgent recall on machines within certain serial numbers ......... we checked, and ours was one of them. I looked into this further on the internet and discovered that they were trying to track down 600,000 machines worldwide from 3 brands - apparently a problem with the main PCB had caused fires - some in the USA. A technician came round and replaced our main PCB at a paper-cost that was greater than what we originally paid for the dishwasher. We hadn't even made a complaint - to us, the machine was still working perfectly. When we re-did the kitchen, the dishwasher moved to my son's place where it is still going strong.

When we needed a new washing machine, you can guess which brand we chose.

What are people who have bought a 1.5 petrol from VW Group saying about future business? 

• Like 2

Pity were not living in the USA. There would have been a multiple consumer law suit and VAG would have thrown everything at sorting it out before they are forced to pay millions in compensation payments and fines.

17 minutes ago, LittleOwl said:

Perhaps need a mass handing back of keys and cars plus formal rejection letters

Now that VW has admitted there's a problem that is currently unsolvable , there should be no difficulty in rejecting a car. Bear in mind that if you struggle on with a dodgy 1.5 - what will be the first thing that a potential buyer will ask in 3 or 4 years time.

Edited by StEdmund
grammar

I'm sure most of you are aware but there is a lengthy thread on the T ROC forum covering the same topic (hopefully the link below works)....some useful info on there regarding rejections. Having gone through a very time consuming & unsuccessful rejection process with JLR having bought a RR Sport, please don't proceed with a purchase assuming you'll be able to reject if there's a problem without a lot of hassle...it's not always straightforward and it's amazing what can be passed off as a 'characteristic', i'm sure any comment to date from VAG regarding the fault will have been carefully worded and give them plenty of wriggle room. 

My advice, if you can, delay/cancel until they sort it. It's only when it starts hitting them in the pocket that they'll start to listen.

https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=266

PS. avoid JLR, the definition of poor service!!

• Like 1

I have a Skoda Karoq 1.5tsi that I have taken into today about this problem. My dealer told me that they spoke to Skoda Uk technical and that it is a known problem and there will be a software update in a few month to fix it. Seems a bit of different response compared to the characteristic one people have been getting.

Hopefully this could be the start of them admitting there is a fault rather than coming out with the characteristic one.

17 minutes ago, Andy2509 said:

I have a Skoda Karoq 1.5tsi that I have taken into today about this problem. My dealer told me that they spoke to Skoda Uk technical and that it is a known problem and there will be a software update in a few month to fix it. Seems a bit of different response compared to the characteristic one people have been getting.

Hopefully this could be the start of them admitting there is a fault rather than coming out with the characteristic one.

The problem we’ve got is that different dealerships are giving different responses, some say as yours does and some are saying characteristic, mine has recently told me they’re aware of an issue and are waiting for a fix, mine actually works better when cold, the kangarooing and sometimes lack of power is worse when it’s warm. 

Our dealership were as nice as pie.... admitted knew of problem, reproduced problem, we demonstrated problem to them, they said it would be a straightforward rejection, apologised, let us hang to hire car etc etc UNTIL we formally rejected car! They then really changed their tune, claimed 'characteristic', took back loan car at short notice leaving us without any car to drive, tried everything to get us to take back the Karoq. We stuck to our guns and kept going with rejection (with advice from Which Legal). We eventually successfully rejected car and have received a full refund. Now that VAG have actually admitted problem, cannot see how they can refuse rejection. Unsatisfactory quality (and fact that car does not drive in a manner that a reasonable person would expect) are valid reasons for rejection. Keep going, they just try to wear you down.

• Like 2

Remember if you bought car direct from dealership your contract is with the dealership. Your rejection is to the dealership and communications should be to them.  If you bought car with finance (PCP, HP etc) your contract is with the Finance company. Your rejection is to the finance company and communications should be to the finance company not the dealership. The finance company technically own the car and they are the ones that deal with the dealership. You do not have a contract with Skoda UK and you do not need to communicate with them. Skoda UK know this and they will just keep you going around in circles.

For those of you who are wondering if the DSG 1.5tsi is affected that I can confirm, yes it is.

My wife (who is the main driver) has experienced on a few occasions the bunny/kangaroo hopping and I've also noticed a hestiation from going into 2nd from 1st many times.  Probably not as severe as some of you have mentioned but definately the engine is being "controlled" by something (ECU?), maybe an emmissions thing?

6 hours ago, mightychipster said:

For those of you who are wondering if the DSG 1.5tsi is affected that I can confirm, yes it is.

My wife (who is the main driver) has experienced on a few occasions the bunny/kangaroo hopping and I've also noticed a hestiation from going into 2nd from 1st many times.  Probably not as severe as some of you have mentioned but definately the engine is being "controlled" by something (ECU?), maybe an emmissions thing?

My 1.5 tsi Octy DSG is a 2017 version , purchased in nov 2017 , Never had any of these problems manifest themselves , done 16 ooo miles now , keep it in sport Mode , seem to get better fuel consumption than in the ECO mode.

My 1.5tsi DSG is just over a month old,only 400 miles on the clock. I drove it both days last week when temperature was below freezing and had no such issues. So far its as smooth as something very smooth so As usual I would be very wary of basing a purchase choice just on what you read on a forum.

Have a look on any forum you want and there will be sufficient negatives to cause you to worry about your choice.

Case in point is Jaguar F Pace with plenty of talks of faults and also lots of complaints re dealer oposition to rejecting vehicles.

4 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Skoda UK will be relieved to read the last 2 posts if they bother visiting Briskoda for some light lunchtime relief (probably not then).:notme:

Note that those two posts refer to dsg boxes.

36 minutes ago, Breezy said:

My 1.5tsi DSG is just over a month old,only 400 miles on the clock. I drove it both days last week when temperature was below freezing and had no such issues. So far its as smooth as something very smooth so As usual I would be very wary of basing a purchase choice just on what you read on a forum.

Have a look on any forum you want and there will be sufficient negatives to cause you to worry about your choice.

Case in point is Jaguar F Pace with plenty of talks of faults and also lots of complaints re dealer oposition to rejecting vehicles.

So there is no fault on our vehicles? Maybe you have one with  a fix perhaps. Or perhaps you work for Skoda :D

22 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

So there is no fault on our vehicles? Maybe you have one with  a fix perhaps. Or perhaps you work for Skoda :D

Nobody said there is no fault on anyones vehicles. My point is that there are also many who don't have the fault so one should always be aware that most of those who dont have any faults are not well represented. Thats just the way it is with all feedback, those with issues will nearly always be more active on vehicle forums so I would not rely purely on forum feedback to make a decision on a car purchase though I would take it into account.

Do I work for Skoda......no.....I dont work for anyone.:)

16 minutes ago, tigermad said:

Are dsg versions ok then?

Certainly, based on my experience with a 1.5 manual Karoq, I would advise anyone to steer well clear of the 1.5 for a year and then review the situation. I strongly suspect that the dsg box merely masks the problem.

• Like 1