Octavia 245 Owners Club

5 minutes ago, fezzer2k said:

Cheers.

I am about to order some bronze JR25's for my black 245 estate. 

They only offer 8,5x20" 5x112 ET40 with 235/30's and 8,5x19" 5x112 ET40 with 235/35's. Still debating on 19'" vs 20". None of my local dealers sell them, so I need to order online. Would be nice to know if they will slot right on or not.

The xtremes are ET51 which gives me some concerns about ET40.

My 8.5J x 19 rims have ET45 offset and fit just fine if this helps.:cool:

14 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

My 8.5J x 19 rims have ET45 offset and fit just fine if this helps.:cool:

I should really stick to ET45, shouldn't I? I am only allowed to change +-7,5 according to the law... Spacers is a no no where I live.

Lower ET --> Better looks though.

Guess I will have to find some with similar design in ET45. 

Good thing I just fitted winter tyres to my xtremes. Plenty of time until new wheels can be fitted.

2 minutes ago, fezzer2k said:

I should really stick to ET45, shouldn't I? I am only allowed to change +-7,5 according to the law... Spacers is a no no where I live.

Lower ET --> Better looks though.

Guess I will have to find some with similar design in ET45. 

Good thing I just fitted winter tyres to my xtremes. Plenty of time until new wheels can be fitted.

Glad to help.:biggrin:

German tuning company fitted a larger IHI turbo to their 245 demo DSG Estate and it accelerates now from 100kph (62mph) to 200kph (124mph) in 8.9 seconds with a little help from 425PS (420bhp) and 575NM (423lb/ft) of torque. No idea of cost but did see they used VWR600 airbox kit.:blink:

Why are BMW's so heavy? New Z4 M40i uses the 3.0litre turbo engine to produce 335bhp and 500NM but weighs an incredible 1,535KG. Compare that to Alpine (247bhp) at 1,080KG or Porsche Boxster S (345bhp) at 1,385KG and it just doesn't add up in a small 2 seater sports car. Despite having an 8 speed Auto box economy is nothing special at 38.1MPG combined. Think I will hang onto my 5 seater (590litre boot) hatch that weighs 1,370KG.:dry:

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

Why are BMW's so heavy? New Z4 M40i uses the 3.0litre turbo engine to produce 335bhp and 500NM but weighs an incredible 1,535KG. Compare that to Alpine (247bhp) at 1,080KG or Porsche Boxster S (345bhp) at 1,385KG and it just doesn't add up in a small 2 seater sports car. Despite having an 8 speed Auto box economy is nothing special at 38.1MPG combined. Think I will hang onto my 5 seater (590litre boot) hatch that weighs 1,370KG.:dry:

Big heavy 6 cylinder engine - check

Heavy chassis strengthening for convertible body - check

Heavy auto gearbox - check

I think they're aiming it to be a bit of a hot rod style convertible, rather than a track focused lightweight sports car.

The Alpine isn't really comparable as it's not a convertible and has been designed and built to be as light as possible. The Porsche also has a lighter four-pot engine.

I do agree with you though. The Z4 shouldn't be that heavy and our far more practical Skodas put it to shame on the scales!

1 hour ago, JuanGandini said:

Big heavy 6 cylinder engine - check

Heavy chassis strengthening for convertible body - check

Heavy auto gearbox - check

I think they're aiming it to be a bit of a hot rod style convertible, rather than a track focused lightweight sports car.

The Alpine isn't really comparable as it's not a convertible and has been designed and built to be as light as possible. The Porsche also has a lighter four-pot engine.

I do agree with you though. The Z4 shouldn't be that heavy and our far more practical Skodas put it to shame on the scales!

Talking of heavy cars SEAT Ateca Cupra has 4WD and 296bhp (400NM torque) but weighs a portly 1,632KG. Not sure if that is the basic version at £35,900 or the Sport Pack one at £39,200. The Pack which is optional gives bigger Brembo brakes behind larger 19" alloys.:dry:

Anyone finding that the settled angle of their lights only gives about two car lengths? I find it’s simply too short and will be calling my dealer tomorrow to see if there is anything that can be done. I went home the country route this evening and the visibility is simply too poor. 

My previous cars had adjustment near the steering wheel, but I can’t find anything on my VRS.

1 minute ago, ScottyNS said:

Thanks, thought as much. I doubt I will have much success with the dealer, but will try and see if the settle point is too low or can be changed.

Perhaps if you had a lot of weight in the boot the lights may dip more to compensate. I find mine good but most of my commute is on the motorway anyway.:cool:

8 hours ago, ScottyNS said:

Anyone finding that the settled angle of their lights only gives about two car lengths? I find it’s simply too short and will be calling my dealer tomorrow to see if there is anything that can be done. I went home the country route this evening and the visibility is simply too poor. 

My previous cars had adjustment near the steering wheel, but I can’t find anything on my VRS.

I haven't noticed any such issues with the headlights on mine and I drive a lot on unlit roads.

42 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Turn the main beam on

You can even see the whites of other drivers eye then !!!

Or their teeth as they shout unpleasant things at you.Main beam could for advising other motorists of their bad/dangerous driving. Not me of course. I always drive safely.:blush

1 hour ago, Black Howling said:

I believe it's an option. I also think it can be turned on with OBD 11 or vcds if you have the right camera in your dash or something, I might be wrong.

It's called High Beam Assist

Dunno about OBD11 but, VCDS certainly works

55 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

It's called High Beam Assist

Dunno about OBD11 but, VCDS certainly works

Wasn't there a thread about HBA on the FL Models and having it coded via VCDS and there was problems making it work, something about a different controller to the Pre FL models or something ?

Or have I been dreaming.......................................Again :thinking:

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

9 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Wasn't there a thread about HBA on the FL Models and having it coded via VCDS and there was problems making it work, something about a different controller to the Pre FL models or something ?

Or have I been dreaming.......................................Again :thinking:

I believe the Mk3Fl has a different adaptions map, @wg100 has the full story, he coded mine anyways

• Like 1