Octavia 245 Owners Club

1 hour ago, themanwithnoaim said:

That's one for Murray to answer 

Me I just drive mine like I've just stole it but, the smiles per mile are off the charts

Unfortunately I've got to be careful because I'm on thin ice with the boys in blue, I'm on 1 demerit point for 12 months.... :blush: and with the ruthless speeding tolerances in my state I could very easily lose that point and then lose my license for 6 months and then lose my job and then lose my wage and then lose my car....

3 hours ago, StealthRS245 said:

Quick question, will a JB4 adjust the fueling? My car is fine on the highway but rather hideous around town, I live and work in a town where my daily 15min commute is lots of roundabouts, lots of accelerating up to 45mph (for you colonists;)) and back to a stop and the fuel use is quite bad, sitting on about 25mpg and that is driving carefully. I can't get a remap because the car is leased, but I'm not sure if a JB4 will improve economy.

Muzza in Glasgow uses a JB4 and will probably answer your question.:blink:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StealthRS245 said:

Quick question, will a JB4 adjust the fueling? My car is fine on the highway but rather hideous around town, I live and work in a town where my daily 15min commute is lots of roundabouts, lots of accelerating up to 45mph (for you colonists;)) and back to a stop and the fuel use is quite bad, sitting on about 25mpg and that is driving carefully. I can't get a remap because the car is leased, but I'm not sure if a JB4 will improve economy.

Just like a remap, the JB4 will greatly increase the torque available at a given RPM, which will allow you to drive in a manner that will improve your economy if you so wish.

I can easily achieve 45mpg+ on a motorway journey, but I rarely do.    My average around Glasgow is mid/high 20's but that can get to mid/high 30's over a long run out of the city, that said..  to be honest, I dont pay a huge amount of attention to MPG.

Why tune a car to 300+ bhp and drive it like a Prius...?  I like to get up to speed quickly, drop gears, use high rpm and so on, makes for a much more engaging drive, if someone really is returning an average of 42 over thousands of miles then it sounds to my like they're mostly stuck on a motorway or drive it like the're in the wrong car.

I have no points, in fact, I've only had 3 points in 20 years and that was for running a red light (which never actually happened but that's a different story)       You can drive quick without driving dangerously  :)

I have to say, the chap from Belgium, tuner111...     

Have any of you actually driven the Nurburgring Nordschleife?       I have, just 30 or so laps, but I can tell you right now that for being his 4th lap, that was really good lap, smooth, flowing, good positioning on the track and most importantly safe.   

There's a lot of Ego on this thread, there's certainly no place for it on the Nurburgring Nordschleife and if you've never driven it, before commenting on others, go yourself, do a few "flat out" racing style laps and come back show us how you got on.    I suspect you wouldn't be driving home in your own car with that sort of mentality though.    :D;)

Edited by Muzza80
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Muzza80 said:

Just like a remap, the JB4 will greatly increase the torque available at a given RPM, which will allow you to drive in a manner that will improve your economy if you so wish.

I can easily achieve 45mpg+ on a motorway journey, but I rarely do.    My average around Glasgow is mid/high 20's but that can get to mid/high 30's over a long run out of the city, that said..  to be honest, I dont pay a huge amount of attention to MPG.

Why tune a car to 300+ bhp and drive it like a Prius...?  I like to get up to speed quickly, drop gears, use high rpm and so on, makes for a much more engaging drive, if someone really is returning an average of 42 over thousands of miles then it sounds to my like they're mostly stuck on a motorway or drive it like the're in the wrong car.

I have no points, in fact, I've only had 3 points in 20 years and that was for running a red light (which never actually happened but that's a different story)       You can drive quick without driving dangerously  :)

Have any of you actually driven the Nurburgring Nordschleife?       I have, just 30 or so laps, but I can tell you right now that for being his 4th lap, that was really good lap, smooth, flowing, good positioning on the track and most importantly safe.   

There's a lot of Ego on this thread, there's certainly no place for it on the Nurburgring Nordschleife and if you've never driven it, before commenting on others, go yourself, do a few "flat out" racing style laps and come back show us how you got on.    I suspect you wouldn't be driving home in your own car with that sort of mentality though.    :D;)

70% of my commute is on the motorway hit 120mph yesterday on the way home and averaged 38.4mpg. Today only reached 91mph and averaged 41.4mpg on the commute to work. So if this driving like MISS DAISY then she certainly gets around quickly.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, shyVRS245 said:

70% of my commute is on the motorway hit 120mph yesterday on the way home and averaged 38.4mpg. Today only reached 91mph and averaged 41.4mpg on the commute to work. So if this driving like MISS DAISY then she certainly gets around quickly.

Not exactly redeeming yourself here, 120mph on a motorway commute, that's just silly.

I'll leave it at that.

Be safe ;)

6 minutes ago, Muzza80 said:

Not exactly redeeming yourself here, 120mph on a motorway commute, that's just silly.

I'll leave it at that.

Be safe ;)

Who said I was doing 120mph on the motorway, not me. I always drive safely can't say the same about the 3 vans and a lorry that hit each other near J24 M1 yesterday!:blink:

2 hours ago, Muzza80 said:

Hi Muzza thanks for the response, that helps. I dont drive it like a Prius, but see little point in driving hard on the daily commute tbh. I leave that for weekend blasts in the hills or going to the track. 

About the demerit points, I'm not a habitual law breaker - as I said earlier Victoria's speeding tolerances are incredibly harsh, for example I got done at 43 in a 40 kph zone once, 106 in a 100 zone, 118 in a 110 zone.... Do a quick Google and you'll find many disgruntled victorians crying sore about unfair speeding tickets. Also cameras are mounted in road work zones, behind bridges and sign gantries etc etc and are never marked. Once you get a few of those under your belt, doing 50000 km in a year it doesn't take long to get rid of 12 points which then take you 3 years to earn back.

Cheers

2 minutes ago, StealthRS245 said:

Hi Muzza thanks for the response, that helps. I dont drive it like a Prius, but see little point in driving hard on the daily commute tbh. I leave that for weekend blasts in the hills or going to the track. 

About the demerit points, I'm not a habitual law breaker - as I said earlier Victoria's speeding tolerances are incredibly harsh, for example I got done at 43 in a 40 kph zone once, 106 in a 100 zone, 118 in a 110 zone.... Do a quick Google and you'll find many disgruntled victorians crying sore about unfair speeding tickets. Also cameras are mounted in road work zones, behind bridges and sign gantries etc etc and are never marked. Once you get a few of those under your belt, doing 50000 km in a year it doesn't take long to get rid of 12 points which then take you 3 years to earn back.

Cheers

That' very harsh how much in AUD$ do they fine you guys? Not be retiring to Victoria anytime soon then!:blush:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

That' very harsh how much in AUD$ do they fine you guys? Not be retiring to Victoria anytime soon then!:blush:

It varies of course but my last fine in February was the 106 in a 100 zone, iirc it cost me $220. 

• Sad 1

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before...

My 245 has been parked up for the last 10 days or so (been busy with work and stuff so not had a chance to drive it). What I've noticed the last time that this happened is when I get back into the car and drive off the brakes were stuck and make a nasty noise before I could get moving. It was a bit shocking really as I thought I'd left the handbrake on at first! 

4 minutes ago, JuanGandini said:

My 245 has been parked up for the last 10 days or so (been busy with work and stuff so not had a chance to drive it). What I've noticed the last time that this happened is when I get back into the car and drive off the brakes were stuck and make a nasty noise before I could get moving. It was a bit shocking really as I thought I'd left the handbrake on at first! 

Hi Yes this happens on mine, it seems to be worse if it has also rained and there is some surface rust on the disc. I notice it will do this from 3 days onwards of no movement

5 minutes ago, chris245vRS said:

Hi Yes this happens on mine, it seems to be worse if it has also rained and there is some surface rust on the disc. I notice it will do this from 3 days onwards of no movement

Ok, good to know it's not just a foible of my car then! Last time it happened I dabbed the brakes a few times while I was trundling down my road after setting off and they didn't seem very strong at first. Not the greatest or most confidence-inspiring feeling!

34 minutes ago, JuanGandini said:

Only happens to me when I wash the car and leave it awhile before driving and probably the moisture around the calipers and discs causes the sticking effect.:blink:

10 hours ago, Muzza80 said:

Amen to that ! 

better safe than sorry :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, shyVRS245 said:

Had to decide today what colour to go with on the induction pipes. Nearly went for yellow or pink (two of my favourites) but settled for RED to match the piping on the seats. Should add a bit of colour under the bonnet to add to the colour already on the bonnet.:blink:

Post a pic when it’s on dude :thumbup:

12 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Had to decide today what colour to go with on the induction pipes. Nearly went for yellow or pink (two of my favourites) but settled for RED to match the piping on the seats. Should add a bit of colour under the bonnet to add to the colour already on the bonnet.:blink:

Nice choice mate:cool:

• Thanks 1

Here's some Racelogic acceleration figures for 4 cars which you may/want to own.

FL VRS230 (tested with 235PS). 0-25mph  2.6sec,  0-50mph  4.9sec,  0-60mph  6.6sec,  0-100mph  13.6sec  and 0-125mph  22.2sec.

FL  VRS230 (tested with 277PS). 0-25mph  2.1sec,  0-50mph  4.4sec,  0-60mph  6.0sec,  0-100mph  12.3sec  and 0-125mph  19.4sec.

FL VRS245 (tested with 252PS).  0-60mph  5.65sec, 0-88mph 9.8sec, 0-100mph 12.7sec, 0-125mph 21.1sec and 0-156mph  66.8sec. Also 44-88mph 6.0sec and 50-75mph 3.30se.

SEAT LEON CUPRA (tested with 290PS). 0-60mph 5.9sec, 0-88mph 9.4sec, 0-125mph 18.5sec and 0-156mph 34.6sec. Also 44-88mph 5.4sec.

My stage 1 FL VRS245 has 306PS so should be quicker than the Cupra. Hope you guys find this useful when deciding whether to mod your 220/230/245.:blink:

FFS! Found this afternoon that I have joined the scuffed alloy club, even more annoyingly/worryingly I’ve no idea when I managed it. I can only guess I caught it on a kerb or stone whilst turning as it’s the rear passenger side. Given the type of alloy, am I better off getting it sorted now, or just before the end of the lease? Any thoughts?