Thinking of an octavia 1.4tsi.

I went from a 64 plate diesel manual VRS to the 1.4TSi with DSG. So glad I did. Engine is a peach, and it's quicker. OK I lost the In-dependant rear suspension, but with the higher profile tyres, the 1.4 actually feels more refined.

My long term MPG is 51.6 The VVT means no nasty EGR valve and sports mode is great fun. Try to find one with the sports pack, that adds steering wheel controls for radio/phone etc.

• Like 1

On retirement I went from an 06 plate Audi RS4 Avant to a 15 plate Octavia 1.4TSi Elegance Combi.

Performance? - nothing like the same, but perfectly adequate for everyday driving. The 1.4 is IMHO surprisingly good, just have to remember to keep the turbo "on boost".

Refinement? - much more supple ride but similar road noise on the 17" wheels (even after changing from worn Continental tyres to new Goodyear F1).

Economy? - night & day, from 25mpg to 45mpg average.

Space? - MUCH bigger boot and much more rear legroom for an exterior increase of only a few mm.

Equipment? - love the ACC, the MIB1 Amundsen is adequate compared to the RNS-E but I would like (but don't need...) the extra features of a MIB2 Columbus.

• Like 1

I'm pretty happy with mine. A manual 1.4l SE Combi. Performance is fine (I had a 2l Diesel Elegance with sport suspension previously ) and economy on long runs is 50mpg plus.  The only current problem is lack of STOP/START. Quiet enough for me and comfortable for 300 miles plus. I can feel a wriggle from the torsion bar rear on rough bends, but normal driving is just fine.

42 minutes ago, gregoir said:

I'm pretty happy with mine. A manual 1.4l SE Combi. Performance is fine (I had a 2l Diesel Elegance with sport suspension previously ) and economy on long runs is 50mpg plus.  The only current problem is lack of STOP/START. Quiet enough for me and comfortable for 300 miles plus. I can feel a wriggle from the torsion bar rear on rough bends, but normal driving is just fine.

never driven  the 1.4 tsi,

is it not lacking in ooph against a 2.0 diesel

i'm talking about fully loaded going up hill  :envy:

Love my 1.4 manual estate. Plenty powerful enough even when fully loaded. Cruises along nicely at motorway and still has the turbo to kick in for overtaking. I did a trip from Hampshire to London and back yesterday with four adults and a boot full of our stuff for the day and averaged just over 45mph, with no hanging around on the motorways!

1 hour ago, 310golfr said:

Having owned both, Octavia 3 SEL 2.0 TDI  followed by Octavia 3 SE Sport 1.4 TSI, yes fully loaded and pointing at a hill give me the diesel every time. Having said that there is some adjustment to be made going from diesel to petrol, initially I was probably guilty of trying to drive at diesel type engine speeds which just won't work. 

You mention appearance mods, if you have any sort of budget for this you could do worse than put that money towards upgrading to an Elegance, nicer looking from outside, primarily due to wheels, nicer place to sit in and more toys to play with.

Been looking around for a replacement for my 2015 1.4 Elegance with DSG as the (42 Month) PCP is coming to an end. But I cannot find anything I would rate above it when using my Head and not my Heart. Overall it is hard to beat, RFL a measly £30 a year, good economy, comfy even with the 17" wheels. ACC is something I do not want to lose, it's great. I have yet to need the Park Assist but the front and rear sensors are very useful. I suppose if I was really picky I would like to have a speed limiter for unknown areas with speed cameras.

The 1.4 is no slouch, obviously not in Vrs land but at about double the Vrs MPG, still manages to put a smile on my face when pushed (and a fraction of it's RFL) but quite quick enough for most needs. 

And no expensive DPF problems, joy......

Looks like I will be keeping this one for a while yet :thumbup:

7 minutes ago, ajw1100 said:

Been looking around for a replacement for my 2015 1.4 Elegance with DSG as the (42 Month) PCP is coming to an end. But I cannot find anything I would rate above it when using my Head and not my Heart. Overall it is hard to beat, RFL a measly £30 a year, good economy, comfy even with the 17" wheels. ACC is something I do not want to lose, it's great. I have yet to need the Park Assist but the front and rear sensors are very useful. I suppose if I was really picky I would like to have a speed limiter for unknown areas with speed cameras.

The 1.4 is no slouch, obviously not in Vrs land but at about double the Vrs MPG, still manages to put a smile on my face when pushed (and a fraction of it's RFL) but quite quick enough for most needs. 

Nowhere near double the MPG of a vRS - my 230 DSG daily commute gives me 36mpg.  I reckon your car would be high 40/low 50s on my run.

Very pleased with the performance of my DSG 1.4 tsi. Friends comment on how quiet it is and how good the performance is. I previously had a 2ltr superb and performance seems to be just as good. Fuel consumption averages low 40's but nearer 50 on a long motorway run with ACC which is great.

Had my 1.4tsi manual since 2014 and I am still delighted with performance and economy it offers.

Some complain about the ride of the torsion bar rear suspension but I don't.

The right tyre selection appears to be crucial to internal noise.

I ran the oem dunlop sportmaxx with no complaints (not evryone's experience) and replacement Michelin Primacy are performing well for me.

Personally would not go bigger than 17 inch which seems optimum at this level.

Edited by Gerrycan

9 hours ago, ajw1100 said:

No need for a new Pedalbox then !!!!

I'm very happy with my 1.4 tsi sel dsg 67 plate just over 11k miles average mpg is 48, it's faster than my old astra gtc 2.0 cdti sri manual it gives better mpg and is more comfortable but not as much fun.

If I had to get another car I'd probably get the same again as I can't think of anything better. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, KevC_Derby said:

Nowhere near double the MPG of a vRS - my 230 DSG daily commute gives me 36mpg.  I reckon your car would be high 40/low 50s on my run.

Excellent mpg for that power, some posts quote mid 20's for vRS  it's how you drive it.........

1 hour ago, themanwithnoaim said:

No need for a new Pedalbox then !!!!

Nope, It's working fine mate.

1 hour ago, jcsphoto69 said:

I'm very happy with my 1.4 tsi sel dsg 67 plate just over 11k miles average mpg is 48, it's faster than my old astra gtc 2.0 cdti sri manual it gives better mpg and is more comfortable but not as much fun.

If I had to get another car I'd probably get the same again as I can't think of anything better. 

Whilst my Octavia SE is a 1.6TDi, at present I can’t think of a better car to own. Replace an Octavia with an Octavia. Space, build quality, the climate control is great in this weather, fuel economy is fantastic. 

Very happy with mine. Came from a Mk2 Octavia 2.0 PD unit, and whilst the power is supposed to be the same at ~140 BHP they will feel totally different regarding power and torque delivery.  I had my PD remapped and it was pretty quick for an old bus. Especially so at motorway speeds where the 1.4 does have to change down one or two gears to get in the power band. Hills, if you are in the right gear I would say performance is fairly similar, but you will need to wind it up a bit.

Saying that, I have the DSG on the 1.4 Octavia and really helps to keep the engine in the power band since it's been years since I've owned a petrol and I am not used to revving them ;)

It is pretty quick for a 1.4, I am very impressed.  It's not like the 1.4's of say the 2000's where that engine would be sub 100 BHP.

MPG isnt as good of course as a diesel, but very good for a petrol. Around town I see mid to high 30's and on a long run 47mpg.   

I had the Elegance spec and the previous owner specced it with KESSY (keyless entry and stop start, Xenons with auto main beam etc ,Park Assist, rear camera and tinted rear windows.

It certainly is much smoother and loads quieter than the diesel and I am really enjoying the drive without that diesel noise.  I don't notice the change in the rear suspension, to be fair I don't really push it enough to miss the independent rear suspension and I am lucky not to notice any crashy ride or cabin boom that has been mentioned.

My previous Octavia was the L&K spec with full leather but I actually think the Mk3 seata seats are much more comfortable.

I do miss the under seat storage and also the scratch hard plastic on the rear door cards where the Mk2 had soft touch all round. 

The Mk3 does feel lighter though which is why you can tell there has been some weight saving measures.

Road tax is nice at £30...though how long that will last is anyone's guess :)

20 hours ago, 310golfr said:

never driven  the 1.4 tsi,

No, its not lacking in oomph.See my earlier reply. I don't drive fully laden all the time up hills.:)

And I do get better mpg than my old diesel on long steady speed motorway cruises at the legal limits. 55mpg usually.

Town mpg is not so good and is typically 32mpg for the first 3 miles from cold. 

Edited by gregoir

Hi heppy

I bought a 66-plate 1.4 TSi SE Sport last year (150 bhp).

Lovely engine.  Plenty of poke and no real turbo-lag.

VERY impressed with the performance although I tend to drive it with a fresh egg under my right foot.

VERY impressed with the economy - generally in the mid to high 40's around town and up to 60mpg on a long run (motorways inder 70mph).  Amazing for a 1.4 engine in such a large car.

VERY impressed with space and comfort in the car - boot is so large that it echoes.

Love the Sat-Nav / Infotainment system however updating the maps on an Amundsen MIB 2 is a COMPLETE PAIN!  Currently discovering the joys of the Skoda Update Portal!

One minor gripe.  Car has HID headlights which DON'T bend when cornering (exept for a brief period around Christmas when they did, now back to being static again).  Why produce a car with the capability and have it switched OFF??

Overall, one of the best cars I have owned.

Hope this helps.

Zaph

A lot being said about performance and relative performance, including from myself.

Here and elsewhere you will find plenty about the performance of the 1.4 TSI  ranging from "is that all there is" to "flying machine" and everything else in-between. It all depends what you are coming from, If you are coming from a big diesel with loads of low down torque or a genuine performance orientated petrol you may be disappointed, otherwise should be fine. 

8 hours ago, ZaphodB said:

Love the Sat-Nav / Infotainment system however updating the maps on an Amundsen MIB 2 is a COMPLETE PAIN!  Currently discovering the joys of the Skoda Update Portal!

One minor gripe.  Car has HID headlights which DON'T bend when cornering (exept for a brief period around Christmas when they did, now back to being static again).  Why produce a car with the capability and have it switched OFF??

Theres another thread here with direct links to download the latest maps. I’ve downloaded but not put on the SD card yet because the missus has been out with the car but seems like an easier way to go. 

Do you have your lights on auto? I think the AFS stuff only works on auto. 

Nice spec the SE Sport, considered those when we bought ours but ended up with a facelift SEL. 

Edited by uchuff

4 hours ago, uchuff said:

Theres another thread here with direct links to download the latest maps. I’ve downloaded but not put on the SD card yet because the missus has been out with the car but seems like an easier way to go.

Found these, thanks. 

4 hours ago, uchuff said:

Do you have your lights on auto? I think the AFS stuff only works on auto. 

Yep.  What is funny is that at night when you turn the ignition on, the lights do a fancy 'up / down / left /right / level' movement, then stay pointing firmly straight ahead.  They used to do the fancy 'point round corners' thing - but only briefly.  We had some fog, I put the fog lamps on manually, and ever since, the headlamps have been static.

To be fair, I don't think the spec mentioned the fancy cornering function, just that they were be-xenon (with the headlamp wash).

Nice spec the SE Sport, considered those when we bought ours but ended up with a facelift SEL.

Agreed, we like ours!   :)

Cheers,

Zaph

@ZaphodB

As well as auto lights the "engine mode" you select affects AFS at least on my 2014 VRS if you select Eco mode (buttons above gear stick) then at AFS lights don't move.
You need to be in Normal for some movement as you go round bends and if you select sport mode they move more.

On a 2016 model not sure if you have this option may be in infotainment unit?