What have you done to your Superb III today?

Just now, Toon99 said:

"the coasting function" @shyVRS245 - can you expand on that?
Anything that makes my regular 136mile journey more economical gets my vote.

(rushes off to scour manual for "coasting function")

Only works with DSG equipped cars in Eco mode. If you are going downhill on a motorway for example and lift off the throttle the DSG ECU will put the gearbox into neutral therefore dropping revs in my car from 2,000rpm at 70mph to just 800rpm therefore saving fuel. Note if you use ACC the coasting function won't work.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Only works with DSG equipped cars in Eco mode. If you are going downhill on a motorway for example and lift off the throttle the DSG ECU will put the gearbox into neutral therefore dropping revs in my car from 2,000rpm at 70mph to just 800rpm therefore saving fuel. Note if you use ACC the coasting function won't work.

Those last ten words kill it for me. Cheers for sharing though 👍 

42 minutes ago, UndertheRadar said:

Not today, but fitted these back in February when I brought the car home. 

8E6B5849-1C3B-46B3-A9BB-9A023050FC35.jpeg

08F77238-99CC-426C-BC90-DA5DAF59913E.jpeg

@UndertheRadarThey look great! Are they from Diamond Car Mats, by any chance? Are there any drawbacks with them? I was wondering how the non-slip heel pad feels in the driver's footwell when operating the pedals.

Edited by plantpowered

Yes they are diamond car mats. Great mats, especially with the full coverage for the kids in the back. The heel pad is fine. It grips well and is more or less flush, so you don’t really notice it to be honest. They are a leather type material, so need hoovered with a brush attachment and wiped down with damp cloth or even a microfibre to get them cleaned properly. I was going to get white stitching, but chickened out. 

2 minutes ago, UndertheRadar said:

Yes they are diamond car mats. Great mats, especially with the full coverage for the kids in the back. The heel pad is fine. It grips well and is more or less flush, so you don’t really notice it to be honest. They are a leather type material, so need hoovered with a brush attachment and wiped down with damp cloth or even a microfibre to get them cleaned properly. I was going to get white stitching, but chickened out. 

Lol - I had the same thought about the white stitching with 3 kids in the back! Will go for the black if I order them. The ability to wipe down and vacuum easily is very appealing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UndertheRadar said:

I have the Skoda all weather rubber mats. They are excellent in the back when fitted with the rear tunnel mat. The rear footwell mats have raised edges all the way around so do a great job of catching food/drink/sand and whatever other mess the kids leave behind. I leave these fitted in the back all year round. I swap the fronts out for carpeted mats in the summer. i got mine from superskoda but I’m sure you can get them elsewhere too. 

• Like 1

Seriously thinking about spacers (and maybe a drop in height). 

for those that have done these mods, any recommendations??

I enjoy this thread, but I’m on my phone at the mo’ so the pics aren’t getting any justice. 

cheers,

Mick. 

C6542564-BB2D-4F5C-AB0D-FC874FE110A1.jpeg

Okay, after a lot of reading it looks like it’s a toss between 12 and 15mm spacers

maybe H&R springs🧐

I received my June order from SuperSkoda yesterday, this included mud flaps, rear bumper protector, window weather shields and a couple of other items, touch up paint etc. 

Fitted these yesterday and all good with the exception of the weather shields which cause the front windows to auto re-open each time I try to close. I tried with/without the supplied clips and hold window switch for 5 seconds open/closed this didn't help. So still trying to work out where to go next to resolve this.

Pics to follow when the weather allows...

On 13/08/2020 at 23:55, MICKSVRS said:

Okay, after a lot of reading it looks like it’s a toss between 12 and 15mm spacers

maybe H&R springs🧐

In my opinion, this is one of the most needed mods (visually) on this particular car: widening the tracks, either by spacers or better, wider alloys. I haven't come across any other equivalent VAG car where the wheels are sitting so much inside the arches.

I'm guessing Skoda could only widen the MQB tracks so much, but that wasn't enough to fit the much bigger and wider body of the Superb (compared to the rest of MQB cars). If you look at Golf R's, Cupras etc. the wheels are sitting nicely close to the fenders from factory (as they should), on the Superb they are at least 15mm further inside, almost lost in the arch void it's ridiculous.

15mm spacers will be fine although what would be even better would be to go for wider aftermarket alloys (yeah I know, 10x more expensive). That way you push the wheels 13-15mm out, you save at least some or lots of unsprung mass (stock alloys weigh a ton each) and improve the looks in one shot.

This is how it looks on 19x8.5 ET37 alloys (13mm further out than stock), no spacers of-course, that was before lowering and once I saw it I decided to lower on Eibachs right after as with the wheel further out the arch gap was more obvious:

IMG_20200530_122556.thumb.jpg.337aa5ae83413512a6626e8c1e56a2e0.jpg

IMG_20200530_122502.thumb.jpg.af22e0db8cbf9cd1c8d518ae42954aec.jpg

Lowering is also a good idea if you don't have issues with a slightly lowered car. Eibachs drop it 25/30mm on front/rear and together with wider alloys or spaces it's a great combo. Comfort is almost unaffected, the spring rates from Eibachs seem to be really close to stock ones.

• Like 1

Weighed my 272 hatch with all my work gear still in the boot plus the heavy duty boot mat from @penguin17 plus the rubber rear centre cover and space saver wheel/tyre and factory toolkit. Full tank of fuel (minus 26 mile drive to my mate’s weighbridge, cheers Dave) and it came to 1,660kg wet weight or 1,740kg including me.

C887BDB6-D172-4A63-B46A-4A3A13FB5D90.jpeg

C2745081-1748-4392-9B61-4DFD66C2F810.jpeg

0BA91C78-BDAC-4782-A9F6-6BB67459D3E7.jpeg

2 hours ago, newbie69 said:

In my opinion, this is one of the most needed mods (visually) on this particular car: widening the tracks, either by spacers or better, wider alloys. I haven't come across any other equivalent VAG car where the wheels are sitting so much inside the arches.

I'm guessing Skoda could only widen the MQB tracks so much, but that wasn't enough to fit the much bigger and wider body of the Superb (compared to the rest of MQB cars). If you look at Golf R's, Cupras etc. the wheels are sitting nicely close to the fenders from factory (as they should), on the Superb they are at least 15mm further inside, almost lost in the arch void it's ridiculous.

15mm spacers will be fine although what would be even better would be to go for wider aftermarket alloys (yeah I know, 10x more expensive). That way you push the wheels 13-15mm out, you save at least some or lots of unsprung mass (stock alloys weigh a ton each) and improve the looks in one shot.

This is how it looks on 19x8.5 ET37 alloys (13mm further out than stock), no spacers of-course, that was before lowering and once I saw it I decided to lower on Eibachs right after as with the wheel further out the arch gap was more obvious:

IMG_20200530_122556.thumb.jpg.337aa5ae83413512a6626e8c1e56a2e0.jpg

IMG_20200530_122502.thumb.jpg.af22e0db8cbf9cd1c8d518ae42954aec.jpg

Lowering is also a good idea if you don't have issues with a slightly lowered car. Eibachs drop it 25/30mm on front/rear and together with wider alloys or spaces it's a great combo. Comfort is almost unaffected, the spring rates from Eibachs seem to be really close to stock ones.

Thanks for that, much appreciated 👍

Believe it or not I did all of those things on my old RS 🤣

I forgot how addictive and expensive car modding can be! 

Today I got a Hunter 4-wheel alignment done on the Combi.

The reason I decided to fork out £140 was that the front offside tyre had a bald strip all the way round the inside shoulder.

It wasn't all the way down to the canvas, but pretty alarming once I noticed it.

There was no indication when driving the car that anything was amiss in the alignment and it ran straight and true.

However, the front toe-in was found to be way out of range and there was a problem with the rear camber.

It was a pricey job, but £140 is the cost of just one decent 18" tyre so probably justified.

It was most likely wishful thinking, or the placebo effect, but on the 5-6 mile drive home the car did seem to run freer.

For the past 2 months I've been running in Eco mode but haven't seen any improvement in fuel economy over normal mode.

The best I've done in 18 months of ownership is 48mpg over a full tank, but I keep reading here of people with the same 150hp diesel getting 60 on a good day.

After the fix the car did seem to roll further when the drive disengaged on the overrun, so I'm hoping that economy might improve.

Logically it should if the excess tyre scrubbing which must have sapped a little engine power, has been removed.

Here's hoping.

• Like 2

@cardo here’s hoping you have sorted out the economy for your 150. We run our car (same as your engine) in Individual mode set so that the suspension and steering are “normal” and engine/ gears “Eco”. Rarely do we see less than 50 mpg, usually when we use the car for short runs (not often). Longer runs definitely high 50s to low 60s, without really trying (scoring 85 on the green leaf score).

would be interested hearing if your realignment has had the desired effect.

Came back from near Stranraer a few days ago, got this - hopefully you’ll be seeing the same soon👍🏻

DA4F4D1E-6F90-4F41-9293-F227F4E9426D.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi,

Had my Superb serviced today after 3 months of ownership, I've got the 2.0 TDI SEL ex on a 66 plate. I took the car back to my nearest main dealer which is where i purchased the car. All seems fine but I was surprised at how quickly the car was serviced, went in at 9:15am, was ready at 12 noon. This was a Major service, 60,000 miles and a full Air-con service.

I have 2 free* services included with the car and this was the first of them. I was told that the service takes about an hour, guess not much gets done on a major service then? 

@Cyber I assume the 60000 miles service is the same as 90000 km service. Then it should include:

- Engine oil change

- All filters replacement : oil / air / fuel / cabin

- Front wipers change

When I did this on my wife's Audi Q3 (TDI150 powered) it took me less than 2 hours, if I remember well. I’ve done the 45000 km service on my Superb (TDI190) recently, it’s the same components and locations. It should take the same time.

Edited by Bap33

I had the DSG and Haldex oil changes done at JKM in Portsmouth this week. It was fairly overdue as I think they need doing at 40k and the car is now on 55k. The gearbox changes up a lot smoother now, which I didn't expect to notice really.

Following this, as I do with all my cars as some sort of initiation and health check I visited Charlie at SRR today. Results below:

118254375_10164215448555224_811310764350

Now tempted to build on this with an APR or other remap..

Edited by Max M4X WW
  • Like 3