What have you done to your Superb III today?

On 13/03/2022 at 15:15, ApertureS said:

Well finally all the wires are ran, all the NS speakers are fitted, looms modified, dash speaker, subwoofer and everything else fitted. Component protection removed, dataset corrected, all coding done, speakers are working and no fault codes - except the OS speakers still to fit and os loom to modify. 

All using genuine wire colours, correct sizes, oem parts and all fitted as if it left the factory with Canton.

Just got to get a hold of a pair of front canton door cards with the swede material. 

B256F544-3199-4E6A-838A-FA98F75C8906.jpegFC6CC68D-95CA-4945-A05E-F0AF92C6415E.jpeg48499FD2-3DA5-4CBD-AB15-D97A94804498.jpeg66A01691-7647-4D06-A1AE-CE80F229FBA3.jpegBA318E31-9280-4036-8C2C-2BE4C22EF156.jpeg008395CE-99A6-4687-B890-F8D8415D05FE.jpeg

68158E6D-A4B8-41B6-ACA3-17171C66A53B.jpeg1A575380-4385-479F-BFB0-F6A8E7B7F084.jpeg140A678D-18C6-432F-9468-D9F49FFD3243.jpegEFF59C18-CEF4-47B1-85F0-3D8291D92EAF.jpeg

Behemoth effort 👏👏👏

• Thanks 1

Over the past few weeks got all season tyres put on and had the reversing camera retrofitted on. The camera works great but I wish they took a bit more care with their work, found a little scratch on the side of the car and some of the clips in the tailgate weren't securely put back in. Nothing a little push or a small philips head screwdriver couldn't sort out.

Now all I have to do is to clean out the rear inner lights which both have dead bugs in them and block them off with a little foam. I could probably go back to that one small damaged clip and put some expoxy on the lip to repair it.

Edited by SomethingSuperbly

23 minutes ago, SomethingSuperbly said:

Over the past few weeks got all season tyres put on and had the reversing camera retrofitted on. The camera works great but I wish they took a bit more care with their work, found a little scratch on the side of the car and some of the clips in the tailgate weren't securely put back in. Nothing a little push or a small philips head screwdriver couldn't sort out.

Now all I have to do is to clean out the rear inner lights which both have dead bugs in them and block them off with a little foam. I could probably go back to that one small damaged clip and put some expoxy on the lip to repair it.

Shame you didnt come to me for the reverse camera retrofit, I check all my work over afterwards and no idea how theyve managed to scratch your car! How much did you pay out of interest?

2 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Shame you didnt come to me for the reverse camera retrofit, I check all my work over afterwards and no idea how theyve managed to scratch your car! How much did you pay out of interest?

I was aware that several members on this forum can retrofit cameras, unfortunately it's all a bit out of the way for me so I just paid the difference.  I was set on going to a workshop that was cheaper at £380 but their online reviews put me off, so I ended up calling a few dealerships for a price and went for the nearest one. It was £500 and was completed in the day.

The scratch isn't too bad, they probably leant on it or something but it's something I can get sorted out with my policy.

10 minutes ago, SomethingSuperbly said:

I was aware that several members on this forum can retrofit cameras, unfortunately it's all a bit out of the way for me so I just paid the difference.  I was set on going to a workshop that was cheaper at £380 but their online reviews put me off, so I ended up calling a few dealerships for a price and went for the nearest one. It was £500 and was completed in the day.

The scratch isn't too bad, they probably leant on it or something but it's something I can get sorted out with my policy.

Ouch, on your car I offer it for £300 fully fitted and i have them done in around 4/5 hours! Im only in north london :)

Edited by ApertureS
  • Like 2

Had to make a very quick clean to get rid of all brown traces brought by rain carrying Saharan sand dust yesterday.

I didn't expect global warming is so quick that Sahara has reached Paris aera already. 🤔

😄

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SomethingSuperbly said:

Finally got around to removing these dead critters from the rear inner lights, and put in some foam inserts to stop them from going back in.

Right inner light.jpg

Rear inner light.jpg

How you did it? 

I have one spider dead in my right inner light. I cannot see it now, but there is some cobweb in the light. 

4 hours ago, elfensin said:

How you did it? 

I have one spider dead in my right inner light. I cannot see it now, but there is some cobweb in the light. 

There's a small gap where I was able to shake them out from the red corner into the clear section of the unit and hopefully out. Afterwards I used a vacuum over the open vents on the back of the unit and then covered them up with foam. 

I'm not sure how you'd be able to remove the cobweb since it's a "sealed" unit. You might be able to get away with using something like an air duster with a straw to dislodge the cobwebs.

20220319∕162658.jpg

20220319∕162904.jpg

20220319∕162947.jpg

• Like 2

Had a drama: washed the Sahara dust off my Sportline, because we leave bright and early tomorrow for a long-anticipated holiday and I like to make a clean start.

Found out my five-year-old battery was dead. "Drive to charge the battery" said the helpful message on the dashboard. I used my breakdown cover for the first time in five years. Two hours later, the Sportline was running and I went for a "drive to charge the battery". Drove via Halfords, who had a battery for me and fitted it (it was worth the £25 fitting charge to ease my stress levels).

Phew! Really looking forward to this trip.

14 hours ago, freelunch said:

Had a drama: washed the Sahara dust off my Sportline, because we leave bright and early tomorrow for a long-anticipated holiday and I like to make a clean start.

Found out my five-year-old battery was dead. "Drive to charge the battery" said the helpful message on the dashboard. I used my breakdown cover for the first time in five years. Two hours later, the Sportline was running and I went for a "drive to charge the battery". Drove via Halfords, who had a battery for me and fitted it (it was worth the £25 fitting charge to ease my stress levels).

Phew! Really looking forward to this trip.

I'm glad you got it all sorted out. Something breaking (or going wrong) is always my fear before a long trip!

Safe travels and hopefully there'll be a trip log like there was for Italy 😁

Thanks! It won't be a very long report for a four-day trip.

I went to check my tyre pressures this morning before setting off. They were all 31.5 psi. I have a Michelin foot pump in the boot. It took 50 strokes to get each tyre back up to 35 psi. 

London to Fakenham. M11, A11. Traffic was a breeze! Perfect weather for walking. Spending money like it's water. Might as well... Putin has me throwing caution to the wind.

Car is running like new. Stop/Start is immediate with the new battery. Used to take 20 minutes to kick in...

Why you would spend more than £25K for a car is beyond me. This five-year-old Sportline is perfect. Got passed by a Lamborghini – how the heck to you get in and out of one of those things?

• Like 3

Didn't even unlock mine, let alone drive it today, however, I'm off up to Chester Wednesday afternoon across mid Wales, so it will get a bit of a pasting where safe and legal etc. The new konis have transformed it, it's actually a bit fun to throw around now. Then off up to Sheffield Monday and Tuesday and back home to pembs on Wednesday. I'm thrilled that business and travel is all opening up gmagain, just when petrol is becoming more expensive than malt whisky ffs. Oh and I put my brisky badges on, thanks Colin. One in the rear window and two side bar stickers in the rear passenger windows, so you couldn't miss them. There surely can't be many Dragon Green Superbs covered in Briskoda stickers? 

Edited by stever750

On 21/03/2022 at 22:52, freelunch said:

Thanks! It won't be a very long report for a four-day trip.

The trip report got even shorter! Tested positive for Covid on morning of Day Three. Made a bee line for home.

I left London thinking that it would be nice to get away from Ground Zero for a couple days. Then, on the way to Fakenham, we passed we passed Lakenheath and signs for Mildenhall. Sheesh! Loads of plane spotters on the edge of Lakenheath today. Lots of activity, apparently. I wonder why?

• Crying 1

11 hours ago, freelunch said:

The trip report got even shorter! Tested positive for Covid on morning of Day Three. Made a bee line for home.

I left London thinking that it would be nice to get away from Ground Zero for a couple days. Then, on the way to Fakenham, we passed we passed Lakenheath and signs for Mildenhall. Sheesh! Loads of plane spotters on the edge of Lakenheath today. Lots of activity, apparently. I wonder why?

Sorry to hear that. I hope you are well again soon 🤞

• Thanks 1

Rear dash cam DAB interference.

I fitted & hard wired a Cobra front dash cam (Costco special buy) quite a while ago & it's been fine. The Cobra came with a rear camera as well which up until now I had not installed. So today I have been "playing" with the cabling for the rear cam on my Superb Estate.

Mindful of the reports of DAB radio interference from rear cameras I did not want to start ripping off trim unnecessarily so I loosely ran the cable from the front cam cable splitter to the rear C pillar tucking it in loosely where I could while listening to the radio. Sure enough when I got to tucking the cable in & behing the rear passenger side C pillar trim the radio stopped & the signal dropped out. The DAB aerial cable must be in this area. 

I will try adding some ferrite core suppressors to the cam cable at both ends to see if that solves the problem. If not then the rear camera project will have to get shelved as the cable is not long enough to take a different route - if that is even an option. 

Has anyone else had rear cam interference issues & did you manage to solve them? 

8 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

Rear dash cam DAB interference.

I fitted & hard wired a Cobra front dash cam (Costco special buy) quite a while ago & it's been fine. The Cobra came with a rear camera as well which up until now I had not installed. So today I have been "playing" with the cabling for the rear cam on my Superb Estate.

Mindful of the reports of DAB radio interference from rear cameras I did not want to start ripping off trim unnecessarily so I loosely ran the cable from the front cam cable splitter to the rear C pillar tucking it in loosely where I could while listening to the radio. Sure enough when I got to tucking the cable in & behing the rear passenger side C pillar trim the radio stopped & the signal dropped out. The DAB aerial cable must be in this area. 

I will try adding some ferrite core suppressors to the cam cable at both ends to see if that solves the problem. If not then the rear camera project will have to get shelved as the cable is not long enough to take a different route - if that is even an option. 

Has anyone else had rear cam interference issues & did you manage to solve them? 

Ideally the wire should come through the trunk, and straight down the pillar and along the sill, avoids all aerials then. That being said theyd have to be causing a fair bit of EMF to cause interference.

37 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Ideally the wire should come through the trunk, and straight down the pillar and along the sill, avoids all aerials then. That being said theyd have to be causing a fair bit of EMF to cause interference.

I agree however, the rear camera cable is just not long enough for that route. Even if it was long enough the cable would still have to come up the C pillar & route through the tailgate flexy tubing to a position on the tailgate glass. And the C pillar appears to be where the interference problem is (passenger side). I could try running the cable down the drivers side instead but I'm not sure if the cable is long enough for that route either. The ferrite core suppressors arrive tomorrow & if they don't fix the problem then I'll probably bin the idea.

On 24/03/2022 at 20:42, Colin170CR said:

I agree however, the rear camera cable is just not long enough for that route. Even if it was long enough the cable would still have to come up the C pillar & route through the tailgate flexy tubing to a position on the tailgate glass. And the C pillar appears to be where the interference problem is (passenger side). I could try running the cable down the drivers side instead but I'm not sure if the cable is long enough for that route either. The ferrite core suppressors arrive tomorrow & if they don't fix the problem then I'll probably bin the idea.

Fitted the ferrite core suppressors which did help however, I have noticed that the nearside tailgate flexy rubber tubing is already full of cables, wires & probably a rear wash water hose to the point where there's not much if any room for an additional thickish cam cable. The drivers side tailgate flexy rubber is a tad smaller but feels like it has way more space available inside it. So, I now plan to rip out the rear cam cable from the nearside & re-route it down the drivers side. This will also mean avoiding the DAB aerial cable which I think runs down the nearside C pillar. The hardest part will be getting the rear tailgate trim off. I've seen a few video's of hatchback tailgate trim removals but no estate models which I assume will be similar & very stiff to prize off.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

Fitted the ferrite core suppressors which did help however, I have noticed that the nearside tailgate flexy rubber tubing is already full of cables, wires & probably a rear wash water hose to the point where there's not much if any room for an additional thickish cam cable. The drivers side tailgate flexy rubber is a tad smaller but feels like it has way more space available inside it. So, I now plan to rip out the rear cam cable from the nearside & re-route it down the drivers side. This will also mean avoiding the DAB aerial cable which I think runs down the nearside C pillar. The hardest part will be getting the rear tailgate trim off. I've seen a few video's of hatchback tailgate trim removals but no estate models which I assume will be similar & very stiff to prize off.  

Well as expected that was a bit of a pain.

I re-routed the rear cam cable at high level down the driver side of the car tucking it in all the way to the ceiling trim until the C pillar where I had to remove the trim to fish the cable through to the tailgate flexy rubber. Pics below show where the DAB aerial connects to the rear glass & the camera cable routed behind it. Ferrite core suppressor snapped onto the cable right next to the camera which is hanging at this point.  

IMG_20220327_162401_hdr.thumb.jpg.1e8dabd608ea4f0271110aa268af07f9.jpg

IMG_20220327_162348_hdr.thumb.jpg.9549d4dbc3b4ae0114c351c00cc2d46e.jpg

Getting the rear tailgate trim off proved as difficult as I thought it would be. The lower tailgate panel has to come off first after removing the tailgate light fittings & the tailgate close button. All on spring clips - no screw. The upper part of the tailgate trim has two T25 screws & the rest are spring clips. It was much cooler today so I had to tread carefully in case I damaged any of the clips or their retaining sliders. All went well & they all survived. 

IMG_20220327_162409_hdr.thumb.jpg.7e4a9d593ec271460cd8250e623f63e6.jpg

Bit of a mess in the boot while all this was going on. WD40 used to get the flexy rubbers off a bit easier & to grease the inside of the flexy rubber for the new camera cable to slide through into the top of the tailgate.

IMG_20220327_162437.thumb.jpg.c4f4c468e939257e10b6e37088e62367.jpg

Not sure if I could have removed the rear trim without the use of the vehicle trim tool kit I got on Amazon a while ago. £20 well spent which has come in handy for a few jobs around the car & the house since then.

IMG_20220327_165256_hdr.thumb.jpg.2c3d1a9b5ccfaddb5603b2ba26af03dd.jpg

Putting the tailgate trim back on was reasonably straightforward & the reverse of the removal. Everything snapped back into place with a bit of a thump & no rattles.

I used 3M double sided tape to stick the camera high up on the rear screen. The only snag is that currently the camera is positioned outside the sweep of the rear wiper. Hopefully this won't impede the view too much when the rear screen gets it gets dirty - as it is now. If it does impede the view / picture quality then I may have to reposition the camera a bit lower on the screen - think I'm gonna have to do that anyway just to make sure. There was only just enough cable to run all the way to the back of the rear screen on the Superb estate & there was a push fit cable joint behind the DAB aerial panel which I wrapped in tape to make sure it cannot come apart 🤞 & there does not seem to be any DAB interference now from the camera.

The smoked rear glass means the camera is well camouflaged. As such it won't act as a visual deterrent which is a bit of a shame. I wonder if I should put a "smile you are camera" sticker on the rear glass? 😏. Probably not. The Cobra dash cam screen up front now is spit & shows front & rear cameras. I suspect the overall picture quality might now be a bit lower with the added rear view camera but that's ok. 
Well that's just about enough car tinkering for this weeked.

Overnight we seem to have got another bunch of Sahara sand dumped on the cars so I guess I'll have to give them a wash tomorrow. to save money I have decided to stop using the local hand wash car cleaning drive through service as they were getting a bit expensive (inside & out £18 for the Superb & £22 for the Karoq). Instead I have invested in some extra kit to wash the cars properly myself. Time to try out my new swivel short trigger pressure washer gun, foam lance & Bilt Hamber Touch-Less pre wash snow foam. Got some acid free BH wheel cleaner as well which by all accounts is the best of the bunch & won't rot your wheel caps like the hand wash drive through stuff does. I reckon it will take about 4 washes to re-coupe the investment in all the extra gear I bought but after that it will be savings all the way.    

• Like 3

@Colin170CR- nice work with removing the rear boot camera.

Just a note though - if u have curtain airbags, then u shouldn't b tucking any cables under the headliner as that will hinder the airbag deployment!!

I know u said the cable is not long enough, but the curtain airbags r now compromised.

• Like 1