Does 4x4 really add much?

@boydeee & all others,

Sorry very OT.

My dad was at Bristow Dyce in the parts store in the early 70's when the munchies were in a honesty chest.

I am there quite regularly. 

On topic.  AWD can be handy for being on time.

george photos 2865.JPG

george photos 2866.JPG

george photos 2867.JPG

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

@boydeee & all others,

Sorry very OT.

My dad was at Bristow Dyce in the parts store in the early 70's when the munchies were in a honesty chest.

I am there quite regularly. 

On topic.  AWD can be handy for being on time.

Was he? I am almost certain someone would recognise his name. Everyone seems to know everyone in the industry. Said munchies are still there too! 

If I knew what you looked like, I'd look out for you 😂

On topic, to the OP, is it possible for you to drive two cars back to back, on the same route? Or at least in the same conditions? That could give you a fair comparison for handling, mpg differences etc

On 20/05/2019 at 00:27, Bigpikle said:

Just trying to decide between a Sportline Plus and the Plus 4x4 (in 190 diesel DSG spec)? 

The haldex is only good for flooring it in the wet or getting though mud/snow. If you don't need that then get the 150 - why bother with a "power but no traction" spec?

4 hours ago, Nick_H said:

Luckily if you have 4x4 and stick snow tyres on it beats 2WD + winter tyres all day long 😉

Agreed , which is why living on the ridge of a hill on a non adopted road I went for AWD. 

Plus I I test drive a FWD 220 and there was a considerable loss of grip when accelerating hard compared to AWD. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Leccy said:

Agreed , which is why living on the ridge of a hill on a non adopted road I went for AWD. 

Plus I I test drive a FWD 220 and there was a considerable loss of grip when accelerating hard compared to AWD. 

Yeah I live on a very steep hill but never had the spare cash to buy winters. When the weathers rubbish I usually just walk. Do have a couple of sets of Autosoks though and they have been amazing getting me off our estate or home one Boxing day.

• Like 1

You guys went truly off topic here. You keep mentioning 280ps and 220ps Superbs and Winter Winter Winter... The author of topic is buying 190ps diesel. I have one. It does have sight issues putting power down, but in every day driving I'm not ever having issues with slipping. In fact the only issue I've ever had was when doing heavy accelerations. Just get 235 tyres and it will be enough for the engine. AWD has advantages, but only if you truly drive like maniac every day and you drive through snow often. Here in Slovenia we don't have proper winters anymore, I've never had any issues with FWD. My next car will be Quattro, but that's because I'm almost certainly getting 250hp+... If you like sporty driving like me, then yeah maybe AWD is for you, but for normal driving and "safety" no way. It solves less than gives. As I said so many times before, if AWD was sooo perfect and awesome, every car in Superb's segment would have that as standard. I mean what the hell are they trying to kill me?

P.S.: My good friend has Golf GTI 2007 or so, DSG with idk 200+ hp. Its little tuned so it has about 240hp+. Now the car has 1376kg and it can put power down on 205 tyres. Barely, you feel sleeping, but there is also this thing called ASR. In anyway car is remarkable. Superb has almost 1600kg and 235 tyres should easily handle the power. 

Edited by JackySi
  • Like 1

Indeed, when I was ordering, and bearing in mind the probability of me encountering snowy roads is < 0.001% - I chose Front Wheel Drive (162 KW, 220 ps) because it was less weight (better economy), unnecessary complexity and servicing costs. One less thing to break.  

Edited by digifish
  • Like 1

I really wanted AWD when I was shopping for my Superb. I've been driving a FWD Mondeo for the last couple of years and when it's snowy in the winter here in Sweden it can be a bit tough to get enough grip going up hills and so on.

You will get around just fine in the worst snow days even here in Norway with a fwd car as long as you have good winter tires. But it sure is much more comfortable, predictable and fun with 4x4 and with premium winter tires the car feels unstoppable. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SuperbTWM said:

Lets be honest, even if you did opt for the AWD, after a few years of the 'Simply Clever' Skoda servicing regime the Haldex will be broken and you will be back to 2WD again. :D

When I bought my car in 2017 the plan was to keep it at least 10 years until I retire so keeping the mechanical side simple was important. No DSG, no 4WD and being sympathetic towards the mechanical bits also helps. This is why the full stainless exhaust was fitted as it not only sounds good but will not need replacing. Service costs every 18,500 miles will also keep running costs low and when I saw that a magazine averaged 38.9mpg on test I knew I could average 40mpg which I have so far after 22,000 miles.:thumbup:

31 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

When I bought my car in 2017 the plan was to keep it at least 10 years until I retire so keeping the mechanical side simple was important. No DSG, no 4WD and being sympathetic towards the mechanical bits also helps. This is why the full stainless exhaust was fitted as it not only sounds good but will not need replacing. Service costs every 18,500 miles will also keep running costs low and when I saw that a magazine averaged 38.9mpg on test I knew I could average 40mpg which I have so far after 22,000 miles.:thumbup:

"the plan was to keep it at least 10 years >>> being sympathetic towards the mechanical bits also helps"    

Being sympathetic by running +100Nm over the factory spec :rofl::rofl:   Some advice for anyone looking for longevity then, go stage 2 guys! And remember, you read it here in Briskoda by Shy the expert LMAO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

"the plan was to keep it at least 10 years >>> being sympathetic towards the mechanical bits also helps"    

Being sympathetic by running +100Nm over the factory spec :rofl::rofl:   Some advice for anyone looking for longevity then, go stage 2 guys! And remember, you read it here in Briskoda by Shy the expert LMAO.

Zero problems in 21 months of ownership. Only been back to the dealer for the first service. How many Skoda owners can say that about their standard cars?:thinking:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

Zero problems in 21 months of ownership. Only been back to the dealer for the first service. How many Skoda owners can say that about their standard cars?:thinking:

Is that today's trolling crusade or what? The vast majority of such young cars (21 months lol) would say the same, and who ever got issues was not due to not tuning theirs surely, do you even hear what you're saying? LMFAO...

Get friends with common sense/logic and some basic technical facts if you want to be taken seriously. I'm not being part of the paranoia you are yet again spreading in this forum. There's plenty others that might be interested in having fun with you.

PS. Keep us posted about that coolant pump and water thermostat status in your supercar ( :D )  after more or less a year from now, will ya?  

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

Is that today's trolling crusade or what? The vast majority of such young cars (21 months lol) would say the same, and who ever got issues was not due to not tuning theirs surely, do you even hear what you're saying? LMFAO...

Get friends with common sense/logic and some basic technical facts if you want to be taken seriously. I'm not being part of the paranoia you are yet again spreading in this forum. There's plenty others that might be interested in having fun with you.

PS. Keep us posted about that coolant pump and water thermostat status in your supercar ( :D )  after more or less a year from now, will ya?  

Given the amount of posting he does on our Superb 3 section I wondered if he actually found time to post in the Octavia section ..... so I had a quick look and I'm afraid he does 😢!!    Had a look at the Supercar too ,  lovely stickers ;).

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Boxerdog1 said:

Given the amount of posting he does on our Superb 3 section I wondered if he actually found time to post in the Octavia section ..... so I had a quick look and I'm afraid he does 😢!!    Had a look at the Supercar too ,  lovely stickers ;).

Oh there's stickers too? That's where those 0.9bhp are coming from then surely :D

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Boxerdog1 said:

All trolls are welcome in the Octavia section.:D

Yet different elsewhere, including where made, inspected etc. So variance can occur.

Intermodel lemons used to be a thing, maybe it isn't now it's so heavily automated, shared.

What we can try though is to not be too goldfishy about what we post.

After a while even a goldfish remembers.

Right, now to catch up on a week's admins PM's to read, reports to file and something else, make a post about goldfish I think...

9 minutes ago, test14 said:

Yet different elsewhere, including where made, inspected etc. So variance can occur.

Intermodel lemons used to be a thing, maybe it isn't now it's so heavily automated, shared.

After a while even a goldfish remembers.

Right, now to catch up on a week's admins PM's to read, reports to file and something else, make a post about goldfish I think...

Should do it quickly though say within 4 seconds or...........:thinking: