Keeping Car Past Warranty

So I normally change my cars when the warranty has expired and that is what I was going to look to do in November with my VRs.

However I have been recently travelling to Southampton (from Bristol) once a week and the car has been so amazing and sure footed (the Ps4's all round might of helped) that I really want to keep it now, at least until the new VRs comes out in late 2020/21as I just can see any point in changing it for the sake of it.

So this means that i will be out of warranty, do I extend the Skoda warranty or go for a third party once or just save the money and hope for the best?

Really not sure what to do as this is uncharted territory for me (shows how much I love the car)

What do people advise? Also is there anything likely to go bang after three years - its been faultless so far.

Thanks All

Finnster 

Save the money and hope for the best mate. 

I have a 2013 VRS which has been out of warranty now for coming up 3 years and (touch wood) all has been great bar the usual wear and tear items. 

Yeah thats what I was thinking,

Its funny I was looking at all the alternatives - Volvo V60 BMW 3 series etc, E Class Mercedes and with all of them I was comparing them to the VRs and it just didn't stack up, either on costs, looks, ride or equipment.

The VRs has been a brilliant family car that has just got better and better and I just can't justify swapping it for the sake of it and I know if I did I would regret it (spending more money on something  that I would be constantly comparing to the VR's)

So I guess I am Skoda for life (as long as they don't screw up the new shape VRs next year)

6 minutes ago, finnster01 said:

Yeah thats what I was thinking,

Its funny I was looking at all the alternatives - Volvo V60 BMW 3 series etc, E Class Mercedes and with all of them I was comparing them to the VRs and it just didn't stack up, either on costs, looks, ride or equipment.

The VRs has been a brilliant family car that has just got better and better and I just can't justify swapping it for the sake of it and I know if I did I would regret it (spending more money on something  that I would be constantly comparing to the VR's)

So I guess I am Skoda for life (as long as they don't screw up the new shape VRs next year)

I've come to the same conclusion after spending ages looking at potential replacements for my nearly 6 yr old VRS. Nothing short of £20k+ really tickles my fancy as being a significant upgrade and as capable an all rounder for family duties. Now looking to wait to see what the MK4 brings.

My VRS has been almost faultless during my ownership. I've owned since 3 years old and put 40k on it since, and apart from a random misfiring breakdown it's been rock solid with nothing but routine servicing required.

Have you been quoted to extend the warranty? If it's cheap enough I'd be tempted to for the simplicity and hassle free element. I planned to take the Skoda warranty when my Approved Used one expired, but it seems to be about £45p/m with a £250 excess which seems pricey.

10 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Have you been quoted to extend the warranty? If it's cheap enough I'd be tempted to for the simplicity and hassle free element. I planned to take the Skoda warranty when my Approved Used one expired, but it seems to be about £45p/m with a £250 excess which seems pricey.

Nope not yet, guess it won't be too long before they contact me, I think if its anything like you have been quoted I will probably just risk it and save the money unless they give me a really cheap deal (which is unlikely) 

There is no indication that there's anything looming on the horizon with my car, even my brakes are at 15% wear after 3 years so finger crossed !

Mines not a vRS but it’s coming up to 5 years old and nothing extra has gone bang. These cars regularly exceed 200000 miles, so I don’t worry. My personal plan is to run it to 10 years old and see what’s about then, hopefully some better electric or hydrogen fuel cell cars.

You could get an extended warranty if it makes you feel better, I just budget an amount for maintenance every month into a separate account. 

Its an interesting question, I traded in my 16 plate at christmas 3 months before the warranty was up. Genuinely the first time Ive traded a car in that I liked and had no problems. The idea of owning that outside of warranty when you look at how many modules there are to go wrong, let alone mechanical issues, quite frankly terrified me. My current one has DSG, again the idea of owning that amd it going belly up outside of warranty anagin fills me with dread.

What would I replace my current VRS with? I genuinely dont know. Im the dealers dream buyer, I get brand new cars and take care of them for a few years and bring them back with 16k miles on them and buy another. What a sucker!

I break warranties :D I’ve never had an issue with my vRS and it’s coming up to 110,000 miles now. Trouble free apart from one faulty sensor but that cost far less to replace than a warranty would have cost. I wouldn’t worry tbh, they are very reliable cars.

• Like 1

My Vrs245 started with 248bhp in August 2017. 7 months later and 7,000 miles in went stage 1 and enjoyed the 302bhp. Then another 7 months and a further 7,000 miles went stage 2 and continued to enjoy 336bhp. Despite the extra demands on the engine, clutch and gearbox nothing has broken, no creaks or rattles from the interior after 21 months and 22,236 miles. Just worked out overall actual economy and the average is now 40.46mpg. Not needed the 3 year warranty just one visit to the supplying dealer at 18,500 miles for its first service. Astonishing car super practical and great to drive. Credit to Skoda and the people who assembled it feels absolutely bulletproof and incredible value for money.:thumbup:

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

I break warranties :D I’ve never had an issue with my vRS and it’s coming up to 110,000 miles now. Trouble free apart from one faulty sensor but that cost far less to replace than a warranty would have cost. I wouldn’t worry tbh, they are very reliable cars.

Sasha has hit nail on the head with my attitude to extended warranties. Any car can go wrong at some point so it's obviously a gamble but...

1: If the car has been trouble free thus far the probability is it will remain trouble free

2: Having a warranty is no guarantee a problem will be fixed. As ever there's something called 'small print', who's to say if Sasha had taken out a warranty that said sensor would have been covered?

Just look thru the various forums of any manufacturer / 3rd party warranty provider and you'll see time and time again people saying a particular fault wasn't covered by the warranty.

3 hours ago, xman said:

Interesting tidbit:

In Poland, SEAT offer a 5 year warranty as standard, Skoda only offer a 2 year warranty. Makes me wonder.....

Screenshot_20190526-154250.thumb.png.ca6a1f74d8a6a0233abd69f5f22a3979.png

VW offer 7yr warranty in the states, yet only 3yrs in the UK.

I think if you get a gem and not a dud from the factory, look after it and keep it up with the services then it'll last a long time. 

Mines 49mths old and with 45k on the clock, I'm hoping to keep it until 80k unless it's still tootling along nicely at that point I'll reconsider but cba with the costly stuff when it needs replacing etc as per the recommendations in the manual.  

6 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

My Vrs245 started with 248bhp in August 2017. 7 months later and 7,000 miles in went stage 1 and enjoyed the 302bhp. Then another 7 months and a further 7,000 miles went stage 2 and continued to enjoy 336bhp. Despite the extra demands on the engine, clutch and gearbox nothing has broken, no creaks or rattles from the interior after 21 months and 22,236 miles. Just worked out overall actual economy and the average is now 40.46mpg. Not needed the 3 year warranty just one visit to the supplying dealer at 18,500 miles for its first service. Astonishing car super practical and great to drive. Credit to Skoda and the people who assembled it feels absolutely bulletproof and incredible value for money.:thumbup:

Hi shyVRS245. A question I hope you don't mind me asking. What made you get a remap early in your vehicles ownership, putting at risk if something goes bang, the Skoda 3 year warranty? I had my last car, a 2011 Octavia VRS TSI stage one remapped, which improved the car no end and intend getting a remap done on this one, just holding back because I do not want to put the warranty at risk if I do need to claim. Is the reward worth the risk? 

7 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

nothing has broken, no creaks or rattles from the interior after 21 months and 22,236 miles. 

No creaks and rattles?? Mine sounds like a bucket of bolts in there.

It's weird because the PreFL we had was absolutely rock solid right up until 280000kms

13 hours ago, finnster01 said:

So I normally change my cars when the warranty has expired and that is what I was going to look to do in November with my VRs.

However I have been recently travelling to Southampton (from Bristol) once a week and the car has been so amazing and sure footed (the Ps4's all round might of helped) that I really want to keep it now, at least until the new VRs comes out in late 2020/21as I just can see any point in changing it for the sake of it.

So this means that i will be out of warranty, do I extend the Skoda warranty or go for a third party once or just save the money and hope for the best?

Really not sure what to do as this is uncharted territory for me (shows how much I love the car)

What do people advise? Also is there anything likely to go bang after three years - its been faultless so far.

Thanks All

Finnster 

Hi Finnster, 

my 3 year Skoda warranty has just run out.  Despite what has been said above about the reliability of the VRS, I am considering taking out a warranty with Warranty Direct, to give me peace of mind and an 'insurance policy'.  I have used them before, when I had a Seat Altea.  There were very good and always paid out ok.  They also covered a lot of parts too.  They want about £240 for a years warranty with just a £25 exces, for the VRS.  I priced up a Skoda warranty but it was almost 3 times the price.  

Anyway, I suppose it's personal choice, you pay your money and take your chance. 🙂

My Octavia is coming up for 28000 miles and going in for a service on Wednesday. The car has proved fault free so far, although the OSR spring has developed a squeak! All the tyres will need replacing before its first MOT in September. I have come to the conclusion that why get rid of a car when the one you have is perfectly okay? It does everything I expect of a car and allows me a safe comfortable commute especially in the winter.  It feels like it will last forever and is rattle free. 

Its paid off next February on my personal loan so will have 6 months out of warranty and paying a loan, but the money will be saved that was paying the loan. OP keep your VRS and save your money.

Edited by threadbear
  • Thanks 1

OK, thats my mind made up!

Keep the car and don't bother with an extended warranty, thanks for all of your advice - looks like I will be a member of the forum for a long time :)

The cars fantastic and nothing on the market (apart from another Skoda) seems to fit the bill as much as what I already have!

My only limiting factor is the PCP that ends at the start of 2021 - but hopefully the New VRs will be available for order then.

Thanks again 👍

My warranty ended a couple of months ago, If and when something goes wrong i`ll go to an independant I dont like main dealerships never have they just want to fleece you at every possible opportunity.

My Mk2 Scout was the most reliable car Iv owned just a fuel pressure sensor in 8 years, if my Mk3 is half as reliable i`ll be happy.

Edited by Greenie58

16 hours ago, stubev156 said:

Hi Finnster, 

my 3 year Skoda warranty has just run out.  Despite what has been said above about the reliability of the VRS, I am considering taking out a warranty with Warranty Direct, to give me peace of mind and an 'insurance policy'.  I have used them before, when I had a Seat Altea.  There were very good and always paid out ok.  They also covered a lot of parts too.  They want about £240 for a years warranty with just a £25 exces, for the VRS.  I priced up a Skoda warranty but it was almost 3 times the price.  

Anyway, I suppose it's personal choice, you pay your money and take your chance. 🙂

I'm paying 147 with 250 excess, all component cover with Skoda. Same price 2 yrs running, but I haven't had to use it yet.

19 hours ago, stubev156 said:

But you have peace of mind.....🙂

If your reply was to my comment, I'm not complaining about the price. As you say I've got peace of mind especially with a DSG

• Thanks 1

On 26/05/2019 at 20:58, roaddetective said:

What made you get a remap early in your vehicles ownership, putting at risk if something goes bang, the Skoda 3 year warranty? I had my last car, a 2011 Octavia VRS TSI stage one remapped, which improved the car no end and intend getting a remap done on this one, just holding back because I do not want to put the warranty at risk if I do need to claim. Is the reward worth the risk? 

Can't speak for @shyVRS245, but I bought my Pre-FL 230 at 2500 miles and got a new intake, Eibach pro kit sus. and full turbo-back exhaust on it by 5500 miles. Then got it remapped at 6000 miles.

Looking back, it was a gamble re: the warranty, but as I was never going to take it to a Skoda dealership since I didn't want the money-skimping service most of them provide, I was fully committed to making the car as optimised as possible - even if that meant shelling out for parts outside of a broken warranty. Again, similar to @SashaGrace and co. re: breaking the warranty.

I'd read the reviews on the EA888 with remaps, and done some lurking on here; I'd sourced my car properly (1 of 2 in the UK at the time); I did my full checks at the dealership and got an extended test drive which made them nervous, I took their original price down by £1.2k and seem to have got a gem (touch all the wood...) - now at 26,000 with no issues bar a random stuck turbo actuator.

Like most on here, I went for optimising the car. I'd rather have a car I know mostly inside out than gamble with a new one every 3 years (although it works for many, and great for them! :)  some of us are just different).

Edit: Out of official warranty timeframe in 9 days time so... let's see ;)

Edited by Ads230
  • Like 1

On 26/05/2019 at 20:58, roaddetective said:

Hi shyVRS245. A question I hope you don't mind me asking. What made you get a remap early in your vehicles ownership, putting at risk if something goes bang, the Skoda 3 year warranty? I had my last car, a 2011 Octavia VRS TSI stage one remapped, which improved the car no end and intend getting a remap done on this one, just holding back because I do not want to put the warranty at risk if I do need to claim. Is the reward worth the risk? 

Something I've always done is remap a car at about 7-10k and never had a problem. As long as you are prepared to fix something if it goes bang or just don't do it full stop. Once had the clutch go on a Superb diesel (138bhp/320nm) which was completely standard at 11,000 miles so you never know if you are going to get a good car with quality components or the Friday afternoon nightmare special. Like Ads230 said it really does feel like it should have left the factory like that even at stage 1.:biggrin:

48 minutes ago, Ads230 said:

Can't speak for @shyVRS245, but I bought my Pre-FL 230 at 2500 miles and got a new intake, Eibach pro kit sus. and full turbo-back exhaust on it by 5500 miles. Then got it remapped at 6000 miles.

Looking back, it was a gamble re: the warranty, but as I was never going to take it to a Skoda dealership since I didn't want the money-skimping service most of them provide, I was fully committed to making the car as optimised as possible - even if that meant shelling out for parts outside of a broken warranty. Again, similar to @SashaGrace and co. re: breaking the warranty.

I'd read the reviews on the EA888 with remaps, and done some lurking on here; I'd sourced my car properly (1 of 2 in the UK at the time); I did my full checks at the dealership and got an extended test drive which made them nervous, I took their original price down by £1.2k and seem to have got a gem (touch all the wood...) - now at 26,000 with no issues bar a random stuck turbo actuator.

Like most on here, I went for optimising the car. I'd rather have a car I know mostly inside out than gamble with a new one every 3 years (although it works for many, and great for them! :)  some of us are just different).

Edit: Out of official warranty timeframe in 9 days time so... let's see ;)

Thanks for your information on this subject Ads230. I am at the moment still considering what to do, remap now and risk warranty, or hold back a couple of years and remap then. The thing I have to put into the equation, is I do around 20k miles a year, so keeping the warranty safe is the sensible option. The car has at the moment got 4k miles on the clock, as I have only had it for 6 weeks. In just over 2 years time though during the warranty period, it will then have around 48k miles on the clock. It will be serviced by Skoda during the warranty, but as soon as that ends, back to my local independent garage for any work.  OH DECISIONS!

Just now, shyVRS245 said:

Something I've always done is remap a car at about 7-10k and never had a problem. As long as you are prepared to fix something if it goes bang or just don't do it full stop. Once had the clutch go on a Superb diesel (138bhp/320nm) which was completely standard at 11,000 miles so you never know if you are going to get a good car with quality components or the Friday afternoon nightmare special. Like Ads230 said it really does feel like it should have left the factory like that even at stage 1.:biggrin:

Hi shyVRS245. Thanks for the reply. You might have just seen my reply to Ads230. In the past I have remapped a couple of cars. An earlier Accord CTDI and of course my previous car, the 2011 Octavia VRS TSI. With both cars I was really pleased with the result. With the Accord though, I worked out I don't really like diesels, even though the remap made it a better car to drive. Petrol all the way for me, not wanting to start a debate on diesel verses petrol of course! I just think the mileage I do per year, it might be worth holding back till out of warranty period. If I can hold back of course, thinking about that 300+BHP on stage one. 

• Like 2