School Memories

Tilt

What are your favourite memories from school..............

Doesn't matter if you're young or old or even somewhere in the middle, it would be nice to share your memories and favourite moments or funny stories

Was Listening to Absolute Radio this morning and Jason Manford (not a big fan but he is ok) was discussing a conversation where one of the adults mentioned the blackboard. One of the kids asked, 'what's a blackboard'.

I remember being in detention at lunchtime one day cos of my History homework. My History teacher was my older sisters form teacher and they were allowed in their classroom at dinner (6th form iirc).

I was sat at the back of the otherwise empty room and my sister walked in with a few of her mates. Must have been an argument between us but I just remember her throwing a board rubber at me. Very good throw it was too, but I was too quick, and ducked. One smashed window and she then blamed me cos she got in trouble..........

..............served her right, Lol.

I also managed to set fire to the window frame in the Chemistry lab with a Bunsen Burner................I think it was accidental, honest............:angel:

first year of secondary school, my french teacher was quite an attractive lady. i remember one of my class mates who was a good natured messer, always sat down the back in class, except in french, where he was right up the front, slap bang in the centre of the room. he "dropped" his pen trying check out her legs under her desk so often id say she thought he had dyspraxia.. if she didnt know exactly what he was uo to....

then there was the day ine of the lads kept prodding my buddy's leg with a compass point in Tech Graphics. he fed up of it, grabbed his Tsquare and axed the other guys shin with it. guys 3 rooms down the hall heard the yell, and out teacher just said "well, he did tell you stop or hed make you" end of discussion :D

q

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The occasional free burger, or sausage, at the end of lunch time in the ROSLA.

Snowball fights.

A girl call Polly laying in a bikini, by the side of the school swimming pool 😍

As Robjon - leaving, never to return.

Gaz

My school was named by the press as "the traing ground for borstal" having an oblong chalk mark on your crotch (the teachers were good shots getting lots of practice) was a badge of pride.

Less than 50% of every class was remaining in the final year to take their O levels, probably 1/3 of the boys sent to approved schools, borstals etc and more than half the girls pregnant.

I had been working full time in a garage since the autumn before, my absence was not noticed, I returned to take my exams but managed to miss 4 of them through being a typical disorganised teenager, there was no parental guidance or control having lost my mother the year before.

And mine was one of the very best families of the pupils.

@mac11irl I too, but only very vaguely, remember our french teacher being very nice.................

Pity, but not surprisingly I was crap at french............I was paying attention, but not to what she was saying, Lol.

Mostly fond memories for me.

Loved maths, science, metalwork and woodwork, PE; even French and German weren't too bad. had a hilariously violent German teacher who didn't tolerate inattention well, throwing a chair at someone was his most extreme 'wake up' I think. 

School trips were always brilliant, those outdoor activities places, ski trips, sports competitions, good times.

And schoolgirls.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember those square pieces of tracing paper, that were found in toilet cubicles?

I can remember chalk boards, although in my secondary school, most were on a flexible continuous roll which the teacher pulled up or down to go to a new page. Also at secondary school, having to write with fountain pens with ink cartridges. If you weren't careful you'd get ink all over your hands.  I never understood why we couldn't use ball-point pens.

On 29/03/2020 at 14:08, Robjon said:

Sadly, my memories of school are of the type Roger Waters recorded in The Wall. 

My favourite memory of school is the day I left it for good.

Mine too.

Two things really spring to mind about my Grammar school:

1) the English mistress who seemed to have reflective lenses on her glasses so she could see when we were messing about even when she was facing the blackboard

2) our Chemistry A-level teacher who was a very attractive woman who had only just qualified (so she wasn't much older than us hormonally challenged 17 year olds) who wore VERY short mini skirts, I think most of us were guilty of "up skirting" as discussions of the colour of her underwear took place after most lessons!

• Haha 1

On 29/03/2020 at 16:35, Auric Goldfinger said:

My English teacher at secondary school threw chalk at you for not taking an interest, if the chalk didn't work the board rubber, big oblong shaped chunk of wood  came your way as well

My History tutor dispensed with the chalk warning shot - straight in with the board 'rubber' (block of wood with cloth stuck on one side) aimed at head! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warrior193 said:

My History tutor dispensed with the chalk warning shot - straight in with the board 'rubber' (block of wood with cloth stuck on one side) aimed at head! 

This technique was OK unless the intended victim ducked and the unlucky person sitting behind took the full force. Unfortunately, that was me. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, io1901 said:

This technique was OK unless the intended victim ducked and the unlucky person sitting behind took the full force. Unfortunately, that was me. 

Now see, if you'd have been paying attention..........................:giggle:

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Jim H said:

Does anyone remember those square pieces of tracing paper, that were found in toilet cubicles?

Izal Medicated, Lol. 

Disclaimer............Other toilet paper isn't available..............:D

• Like 2

I went to school when we got free milk & prices were in £SD & we were still in imperial measurements. If you needed to go to the toilet you even had to ask teacher in class for toilet paper, you were issued with two sheets of Izal & 1 paper towel to dry your hands with. The only music lessons we had were with Bakelite recorders where you had to fish the mouth pieces out from a fish tank of industrial strength disinfectant which tasted vile 😝 & whoa betide you if you were good at athletics! I remember the high jump was pre Fosbury flop days and your landing area was a rock hard dirt bed with a spadeful of sand in it 😄 I remember being caned a lot, probably warranted 😁 I disliked school and I left in 1967 age 15, it was the happiest day of my young life.

I remember when I was about nine or ten, a nun, who was shorter than I was, getting airborne to bring a leather strap down on my hands. That helped me to like religion!

4 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

our Chemistry A-level teacher who was a very attractive woman who had only just qualified (so she wasn't much older than us hormonally challenged 17 year olds) who wore VERY short mini skirts, I think most of us were guilty of "up skirting" as discussions of the colour of her underwear took place after most lessons!

Secondary school for me was a maths teacher to replace Petroldave's chemistry one.  I did meet her years later when I enrolled my eldest at that school . She still looked as good as she did to an 17 year old, but she felt embarassed when a former pupil turned up with an ofspring.

The only thing I remember of nursery, or maybe it was Infant school, but literally my only memory is of eating Corn Flakes and Toast...........

I still like Corn Flakes..................and toast, luckily. Haha.

• Haha 1

one life long memory of orimary school, in infants up to 1st class (4-7yrs old) is...

the smell of luke warm tea, poured from a plastic thermos into a plastic cup every day by one of the girls in my class (there was only 4 boys and 4 girls in primaray school class) 🤢

There were various incidents at my school but there's one thing that still makes me chuckle now.

There was the weird, quiet girl, which I'm sure most schools had and ours also had a habit of fainting at opportune moments. In one design and technology lesson, said weird girl spent approximately 45 minutes moving a piece of wood around in a box trying to decide which way it fitted best. Eventually it all got too much for her and she emitted a really unusual "ooooooo" sound before toppling forward, heavily face planting the workbench on the way to being spark out on the deck. Freakily, the blood that came out of her nose was bright orange.

My best mate was stood next her during the incident and the only comment he could make was "I could've caught her, but I thought it was funnier to let her fall". To be fair, I still think he was right 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My earliest school memory was at four and a half encountering my first Lincolnshire four 'oler earth closet at the far end of the playground. I didn't use it as I was only little and it seemed bottomless (if you'll excuse the pun). Maybe the builder thought us littlies liked to play cards/take a dump at break time.

• Haha 1