Turbo Swap Choices for EA211 1.2 TSI

Just now, Silmirael said:

Hello guys, does anyone know if the golf R injectors/ rail can fit the 1.2 tsi ? :rofl: ( i can get them from a crashed R) or what are the available solutions to upgrade the injectors and the HPFP ? Thank you 

Pointless unless you are looking to forge the 1.2 or 1.4 engine. I'm running over 200 with no HPFP on stock injectors, I personally wouldn't push the ea211 block anymore. If you want bigger power it's going down the route of engine swaps. Too many people ****ing around trying to bolt 1.4 turbos on and doing a mix match of parts 🤔

Just do it properly, nice hybrid turbo set up from Jbs or fit a Rtmg rs and get it properly mapped. 

These set ups along with decent downpipe, exhaust, intake and any other supporting mods is spot on for a quick 200bhp 1.2! 

Just some friendly advise and constructive feedback 👌

The reason i'm looking to upgrade the fuel system is because the car is very limited with fuel, the fluctuation you see on my dyno chart are caused by the fuel system trying to follow, it just can't with 90 RON ( maybe less) . I'm not trying to achieve 200hp, just wanting to optimize this setup, low end torque is my goal.

Edited by Silmirael

Just now, Silmirael said:

The reason i'm looking to upgrade the fuel system is because the car is very limited with fuel, the fluctuation you see on my dyno chart are caused by the fuel system trying to follow, it just can't with 90 RON ( maybe less) . I'm not trying to achieve 200hp, just wanting to optimize this setup, low down torque is my goal.

OK.. But why is it fluctuating so much? Not even the standard set up would do that. What's your set up? 

3 minutes ago, Silmirael said:

Standard 1.2 tsi 105 hp , catless downpipe, 1.4 turbo 140hp+custom tune. Tuner said HPFP is not following.

There's your mistake.... 1. 4 turbo 😬 

This is exactly what I mean. Rather than messing around trying to fit parts that won't benefit the set up get a hybrid turbo that's been designed to work 😎

Your going the longest way around it all mate. 

14 hours ago, Silmirael said:

I'd like to get a hybrid one, but it 's not available in my country :huh:

Rmtg ea211 rs is available to be shipped all over the world. I currently have the Jbs hybrid set up so I can't fully advise on how good or bad the Rtmg ones are but I can 100% tell you, you won't have half the hassles you would trying to match up a 1.4 turbo to 1. 2 block 

Edited by Oneshotlpm
  • Like 1

I was just wondering as I am new to the forum , if the 1.4 turbo  listed below will work with vw beetle 1,2tsi engine ?  also what would be the imediate BHP from a standard 105 bhp ? 

04E 145 721 B

04E 145 721 F

04E 145 704 C

04E 145 704 P

Thanks 

8 hours ago, D16RRY said:

I was just wondering as I am new to the forum , if the 1.4 turbo  listed below will work with vw beetle 1,2tsi engine ?  also what would be the imediate BHP from a standard 105 bhp ? 

04E 145 721 B

04E 145 721 F

04E 145 704 C

04E 145 704 P

Thanks 

Again.. Why are you messing around with a 1.4 turbo 🤔

Hybrid....! 

cost ? I can get one of the listed turbos for 150.00 hybrid turbos sound expensive like 500.00 ? can you confirm ? and do you still need to remap ?

Thanks 

D

11 hours ago, D16RRY said:

04E 145 721 B

04E 145 721 F

04E 145 704 C

04E 145 704 P

Thanks 

1) I don't know if your engine and turbo are the same as ours.

2) if it is, you can run the same turbo swap. My original turbo was 04E145721L and I'm now running 04E145721F. 

3) I installed my turbo last summer and at that time had an intake kit and stock exhaust. I had it mapped and the "before" run (no tuning) gave a nice power and torque curve, you'll find it posted quite a few pages back. When I remapped it I had issues at higher revs which turned out to be caused by my stock exhaust/cat being too restrictive. 

4) despite driving nicely and having a bit more power I can't say how good long term running and bigger turbo would be for your cars health. There's a possibility it could run too lean and cause issues.

5) my car runs nice with good power now but I've spent a lot on supporting mods. If you're not going to do that then you're probably best of getting just a remap with intake and cat-back, should see a safe 145bhp ish

2 hours ago, D16RRY said:

cost ? I can get one of the listed turbos for 150.00 hybrid turbos sound expensive like 500.00 ? can you confirm ? and do you still need to remap ?

Thanks 

D

If you can get a hybrid one, get it. But yes they will fit if your engine is ea211.

With stock 105hp map, you will feel lot of lag, but you will get 130hp, 200Nm at the dyno. Remapped with 90 Ron and catless downpipe you will get stable 150hp and 240Nm , still you will loose on the low end torque.

@Monkey_Danwhat supporting mods except the downpipe and intake ? 

Thanks for al information provided , after reading through the posts , I think I will just settle for a reamp  as I don't want to lose torque , can any one confimr what a standard remap would give without any mods ,i would possibly love to get a sports cat at a later date or a catback exhaust  not sure if there is any benift of doing the latter .

2 hours ago, D16RRY said:

Thanks for al information provided , after reading through the posts , I think I will just settle for a reamp  as I don't want to lose torque , can any one confimr what a standard remap would give without any mods ,i would possibly love to get a sports cat at a later date or a catback exhaust  not sure if there is any benift of doing the latter .

With a decent map and good knowledgeable tuner you should see around 130/40bhp.

Mine made 139 with a custom intake and just a cat back exhaust. 

If your not going down the 200 mark or hybrid, I'd definitely recommend getting one of more expensive intakes like mst or rtmg cold air. 

If you remapped on 99 you might be able to squeeze little more out 👍

that's impressive figures , can't seem to find a cat back for a vw beetle 1.2 tsi  or any decent air intakes so may have to settle for just a panel filter  ,

How would you describe the difference in driving compared to stock ? 

Yo mate nice topic and pro answers ! 

could you post something similar on the

2.0 CRTDI octavia vrs 2010 as well please ?

interested in bigger turbo and remap options for around 300hp 

many thanks 

9 hours ago, 777greg777 said:

Yo mate nice topic and pro answers ! 

could you post something similar on the

2.0 CRTDI octavia vrs 2010 as well please ?

interested in bigger turbo and remap options for around 300hp 

many thanks 

Maybe go on a forum for that engine then rather than expect people with a total different car to know about yours. Contacting Darkside Developments might be an idea too

• 2 weeks later...

Little update with my build, I folded and ordered an rtmg turbo and carbon intake. I fitted the turbo last week and tomorrow I'm taking a trip back to my tuner to get a cuatom map for it. Was at 183bhp and 296Nm on the 1.4 turbo. Not really expecting a massive leap, my 1.4 turbo was 2nd hand and I was getting a bit nervous about it not blowing up (know of 2 doing so fairly recently) but it was running really nice. I have absolute faith that Leon at Road Rage Performance will work wonders with the new hardware. It will be ready by the end of the day tomorrow but for logistical reasons I'll pick it up Wednesday.

In other news, I completed the 288mm to 312mm front disc upgrade. I used nearly new discs and pads from a member of another group that had upgraded to a BBK on his mk1 Octavia VRS, carriers from a mk1 1.8 TT off eBay and some Hel braided lines. It feels OEM but with massive stopping power when you press on. Plus they fill the wheels better, just need to paint them now.

IMG_20210610_182301_287.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

On 14/06/2021 at 21:33, Monkey_Dan said:

my 1.4 turbo was 2nd hand and I was getting a bit nervous about it not blowing up (know of 2 doing so fairly recently) 

Mine wasn't even 2nd hand, it was a refurb.... but it still blew up :crying:

Though the reason for the turbo blowing up was a terrible remap from a tuner in Manchester

Meanwhile I'm doing a 1.4 swap on my Fabia.  Initially I was told the engine is a CZDA engine (150bhp) when I picked it up from London, but it turns out its a CXSA (122bhp)

I can't complain too much, as this has made things easier as its just the intake cam with VVT (like the 1.2), rather than both cams.  At the weekend I got the engine in the car and running with a pretty obvious misfire, just needs new plugs and a proper map.  Though I can now say it's the first mk3 fabia to get an engine swap to a 1.4 :biggrin:

Maybe the turbos blew up because of the aggressive maps , 300Nm and 180hp is maybe a bit much (same power with stage1 1.4 150hp !! The 1.2 is smaller, so to get that kind of power you need more boost than a stage1 1.4 = turbo fail) , most 1.4 turbo swaps are tuned to 160hp, 250 Nm.

Edited by Silmirael

3 hours ago, Silmirael said:

Maybe the turbos blew up because of the aggressive maps , 300Nm and 180hp is maybe a bit much (same power with stage1 1.4 150hp !! The 1.2 is smaller, so to get that kind of power you need more boost than a stage1 1.4 = turbo fail) , most 1.4 turbo swaps are tuned to 160hp, 250 Nm.

Yes, you don't want to be pushing much more boost than a stage 1 would on either of the stock turbos, you won't get any more torque out of the 1.4 turbo (or shouldn't if it's mapped safely/properly) but it should hold that same torque much higher into the rev range for an extra 30 bhp or so for the 160-170 mark. You can push it further if you want but it's going beyond what's safe for these turbos. The hybrid turbos are specifically built to handle the rpms needed for 1.6-1.7 bar, and can push that happily, where the standard turbos (1.2 or 1.4) can do it but aren't built for it, so can and will eventually fail and probably spectacularly.

4 hours ago, TheFozzy said:

Mine wasn't even 2nd hand, it was a refurb.... but it still blew up :crying:

Though the reason for the turbo blowing up was a terrible remap from a tuner in Manchester

Meanwhile I'm doing a 1.4 swap on my Fabia.  Initially I was told the engine is a CZDA engine (150bhp) when I picked it up from London, but it turns out its a CXSA (122bhp)

I can't complain too much, as this has made things easier as its just the intake cam with VVT (like the 1.2), rather than both cams.  At the weekend I got the engine in the car and running with a pretty obvious misfire, just needs new plugs and a proper map.  Though I can now say it's the first mk3 fabia to get an engine swap to a 1.4 :biggrin:

Did you take the ECU from the 1.4 donor car or just roll with the stock 1.2 map and ecu? I've been looking at the CZCA (122 aswell i think) and seeing how that fares, along with MQ350 NJU 6-speed gearbox (which i might put in alongside the 1.2 block if i blow up the gearbox 😂 (i'm getting diff whine under acceleration)