How To - Reverse Camera Fitting Guide

weyland

Still playing with this as who needs skin on their knuckles anyway?  Anyone skipped headliner/piggybacking on internal looms and gone straight through bodywork frame to the A pillar?  Bit concerned about taking wiring that way as never done it previously but seems I can achieve that whereas this route I've started from back to front is defeating me as above?

A curtain rod or some cable pulls and a bit of patience and you'll be ok. With the headlining pulled down very slightly, I could see the whole for the grommet and was able to line it up

Early on in the thread it was suggested that a quick spray of WD40 into the bellows grommet would help.  I tried it and it did.  🙂

Edited by Baxlin

Thanks both, yes the GT85 through the grommet was great help and all the rest was fine but getting from that D-pillar into the headlining cleanly beyond me for some reason.  In then I fed through the bodywork and pulled out into headlining through a gap just above the rear passenger door.  Not ideal but does the job and thanks to these great guides and info it's working.  I'll maybe re-route when I can face it as working around the curtain airbags also a pain.  Much rather have it but I find it takes some getting used to as it's a really aggressive fish-eye lens on there (can't be that my parking is rubbish).

• 2 weeks later...

I fitted mine today, big thanks for the guide! 

My Occy is an estate so differed a little at the rear. 

I struggled with feeding the wire from the back interior to the relevant part in the boot, and ended up giving up routing via the suggested method and drilled a tiny hole to feed the cable into the trim. It's unseen so doesn't bother me. 

Works well though! 

20211125_151713.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've just signed up to say @weylandthanks very much for the information you've posted here and everyone else for their contributions!

The Install in my 2013 Octavia Estate went very well. The slightly difficult bit was that the Camera version E which was the right size for the hole didn't have the same type of mount that the original did and I had to califudge some little brackets to get it to fit. Probably the easiest bit was getting the cable through the bellows grommet. I started at that point and sent the smaller connector through the gromet on the end of a bit of wire (I used goss for lubricant - less likely to rot the rubber) and then pulled all the length through to the front of the car and the little bit through the door to the camera.

Other thing I did was take the low route and managed to get the cable through without too much dismantling.

Bloody marvellous!!

Thanks, Mike.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all, reading through this whole thread which is very useful. I too would probably prefer an OEM feel but it does look more complicated. 

At the beginning, a wiring diagram was shown but am I right in assuming the only actual ‘wiring’ is feeding from the cAmera to the head unit or is there also a plug in the back somewhere I need to tap in to?

sorry for my ignorance, but what is ODIS?

I have vcds so comfortable with the coding part … (I think)

Hi, if you're using the Camera kit that I've mentioned (or a similar one) then the only real wiring is the piggyback harness that provides a feed for the camera in to the back of the media unit.

The camera cable is a single cable that you have to feed through to the piggyback adapter. No coding should be needed

• 1 month later...

I have my car apart already for towbar and thinking I could route kit through for installation at the same time taking the low route for install!

Anyone got an old camera for an old car ( 91mm handle) to hand as oem style wiring ideally ? or maybe someone sell on ebay with fast despatch ?

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the writeup both @weyland and @langers2k.

I`ve purchased a highline camera, and managed to fit it in.

I have an EU spec car with the wheel on the left, so I had to adjust a bit the wiring. Went through the right side of the car the same way as langers2k to get to the MIB unit, however I had to extend the +12V to fuse box, which is located on the driver side.

I`ve coded it similarly to langers2k, and it functions as expected, all modes are available (fish-eye, normal view, hitch view).

The only thing missing are the guidelines, and there are some errors with the camera module which I can read with VCDS however I am unable to figure out what to do next.

Any help would be extremely helpful, as I would like to get it running as expected.

You will see the photos with the way the camera works and here are the fault codes in VCDS:

Spoiler

2 Faults Found:
10489856 - No Basic Setting 
          B2010 00 [009] - -
          [New feature! Extended UDS fault detail is only supported by current gen. interfaces]
          Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 5
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 126
                    Mileage: 164160 km
                    Date: 2022.04.28
                    Time: 17:12:42

passive

13705483 - Databus 
          U1121 00 [009] - Missing Message
          [New feature! Extended UDS fault detail is only supported by current gen. interfaces]
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 6
                    Time: 17:12:43

passive

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4 hours ago, papa_bear said:

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the writeup both @weyland and @langers2k.

I`ve purchased a highline camera, and managed to fit it in.

I have an EU spec car with the wheel on the left, so I had to adjust a bit the wiring. Went through the right side of the car the same way as langers2k to get to the MIB unit, however I had to extend the +12V to fuse box, which is located on the driver side.

I`ve coded it similarly to langers2k, and it functions as expected, all modes are available (fish-eye, normal view, hitch view).

The only thing missing are the guidelines, and there are some errors with the camera module which I can read with VCDS however I am unable to figure out what to do next.

Any help would be extremely helpful, as I would like to get it running as expected.

You will see the photos with the way the camera works and here are the fault codes in VCDS:

Reveal hidden contents

2 Faults Found:
10489856 - No Basic Setting 
          B2010 00 [009] - -
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 5
                    Time: 17:12:42

passive

13705483 - Databus 
          U1121 00 [009] - Missing Message
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 6
                    Time: 17:12:43

passive

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Found the issue. 

My car has no parallel parking, however the option was enabled in the camera module. 

Disabled it, and the lines appeared. Seems to be that the databus info being sent by the camara was not according to the expectations. 

Now, lastly I need to calibrate it. 

• 2 months later...

I have a 2016 octavia estate and the infotainment is 5q0035840a would one of the versions of the kit from post #1 work for my car?

If I have to get another kit I would like to avoid VCDS coding and tapping in into the power for the reversing light or similar. Are there any other kits that would support this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

In the hope it helps people in the future, I fitted one of these kits to my 2019 vRS Estate over the last couple of days but couldn’t get it to work - very simply, no response at all when putting the car into reverse. 

I contacted Sinosmart via WhatsApp for help and they commented that there’s a manufacturing issue with the dashboard end of the long camera cable. Where it connects to the converter harness, the arrows don’t align with the keyway which means that it doesn’t mate up properly if you line up the arrows (like I did originally).

Hopefully the photo attached will show roughly how the arrows should look to align the keyway, but make sure the two halves are then pressed home to make the connection sound. 

B21197E4-E117-4C15-8E49-B2E6E93E0566.thumb.jpeg.b29577218373963451f42f7733c44f60.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just completed this installation on my facelift Octavia mark 3 estate. I used the MQB Wire + Camera A kit. I had to go and get a flexible net curtain rod as suggested by others to pull the cable through the tailgate. Otherwise it was very straight forwards even though I've not done anything like this on a car before. I ordered some bog standard trim removal tools at the same time, which were also a necessity.

• Thanks 1

I've just spent a couple of hours changing the routing of my reversing camera wire from over the top of the headlining to down low along the bottom of the doors, because it's always bothered me slightly that the camera wire may somehow interfere with the side curtain airbags.

Fortunately I made good notes on here of how I did the job originally, so re-doing it was a lot easier. This is the thread that keeps on giving! 😄

• 1 month later...

I got this completed quite easily. However, the right media unit key is stuck, ive applied a great amount amount to the side using a flathead screwdriver whilst wiggling and pulling the key with great force. I cant get the thing out. 

The left key effortless, simple push with my finger with releases it. 

Any ideas on what i can do. Is it just a case of more force involved? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/06/2023 at 22:17, aidy55 said:

I got this completed quite easily. However, the right media unit key is stuck, ive applied a great amount amount to the side using a flathead screwdriver whilst wiggling and pulling the key with great force. I cant get the thing out. 

The left key effortless, simple push with my finger with releases it. 

Any ideas on what i can do. Is it just a case of more force involved? 

I had similar issue when I installed rear camera unit. I pushed metal key with force to the unit forwards and at the same time pressed the side metal clip with my finger and then pulled metal key backwards until it came off. Also there is similar videos in YT how to get the stuck key off the unit.

I have other question about the parking camera - everything works but i got this white area in rear parking sensor area. Does anybody know how to get rid of it? As far as I know, it should be transparent. Could it be manufacturing defect or software issue? I also updated the infortainment system to the latest update before installing rear camera - might be related to this?

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Great guide thank you, 

fitted camera up last night , test fit was good camera worked instantly . 

after wiring in  camera doesn’t activate when reverse engaged , pin connectors may possibly be bent ? Any tips to resolve ?

On 11/07/2023 at 09:31, johnboymitchell said:

Great guide thank you, 

fitted camera up last night , test fit was good camera worked instantly . 

after wiring in  camera doesn’t activate when reverse engaged , pin connectors may possibly be bent ? Any tips to resolve ?

Got to the bottom Of the issue , blown inline fuse on the harness supplied , but cable also faulty once new one arrives should be good to go