Columbus Map Update 2021 (MIB1/2 HIGH)

• MartiniB changed the title to Columbus Map Update 2021 (MIB1/2 HIGH)
  • john999boy pinned this topic

A minor point but unlike the 2020/2021 update, this one won't quite fit on a freshly-formatted 32GB NTFS card (so don't waste 20 minutes or so unzipping it until it fails at 99%).

No problem unzipping / installing when reformatted FAT32. (I'm not sure why some Youtube videos recommend NTFS, though that worked last time for me).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

& FAT32 is what you should be using :).

The VW documention says you should use NTFS but that's on the hard disk not on the SD card. Probably where they get it from. On the standard units equally disasterous since they don't read the SD card correctly. The units run QNX and expect nice FAT32 media put in them. Fluke otherwise.

15 hours ago, john999boy said:

@Tell I didn't realise that you were on here (as I normally see your posts 'elsewhere' but have just noticed you thanking @MartiniB and @langers2k here. :clap:

Yeah. Cross fertilisation of the Vag group forums. The Seat discovery of the standard files came from the German Skoda forum, passed it here, MartiniB found the others and I passed it to the UK Seat forum :inlove:. We have our own unique issues with Seat still running with Mapcare.

Edited by Tell
clarification
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, tricky1138 said:

Cheers. Looks like my 32GB stick is formatting to 28.6GB! 

Reformat it to FAT32 but select the option to make the cluster size 4KB instead of default - that will stop the many small files wasting so much space.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tricky1138 said:

tried copying it to a freshly formatted FAT32 32GB USB Stick but getting "Not enough Space"

have seen similar report on Russian board -

USB - NOK

SD - OK

• Like 1

Yep SD is best. Class 10 or better. 32gb SD.

I run with three. Keeping the last copy and the one before cycling them like back ups. Scrap of hand written paper on what's on each :). Don't write it on the sticker. 

4k is good on the sector size but performance is better on an SD card. The missing space is the indexing that FAT32 creates on the image above related to sector size.

Don't use NTFS whilst we are on the topic.

I'm sure I'd read that USB was faster than SD so that why I went that route. 

Might have to find my 32GB SD card. 

I take it if I have a bigger card, that won't work? 

Also will try the FAT32 with 4k sector size. 

Thanks again. 

You can format bigger than 32gb SD cards with ntfs or SD Formatter

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

The old faithful.

I'd just splash out and stick to 32gb SD cards, less than £7 from Amazon Prime. Just keep them for the job. Cheap enough. Needs to be class 10.

VW and instructions are here

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/dam/jcr:c08aab64-ee73-4082-86a6-0fa82362282a/Discover Pro June_2019_EN.pdf

I'd keep to the instructions and don't deviate. Covers Mac there as well.

7zip is here:

http://www.7-zip.org/

Hole digging is when you deviate. They write the stuff for a reason since its tested and works.

They don't say NTFS. Certainly if you format a 32gb card with NTFS it reported current map won't fit on it. On the standard system the units won't read NTFS and fail to work correctly. Also why I say don't use NTFS.

All the issues appear when people go off piste.

The Mac stuff again people have found alternative ways of doing it without CleanMydrive but any garbage in files related to Mac use or incorrect unzipping will stop it in its tracks. Best to do it by the letter which is in the VW guidance.

1 minute ago, Nimby said:

The Owner's Manual says NTFS is supported for USB media

ntfs.PNG

You can do but the issue is when people start formatting the SD standard map card (not the high) in anything other than Fat32, doesn't work. Or a 32 gb SD card to upload to the high. Reports of running out of space due to the indexing. Skoda German Community Board.

The easy answer is to stick to Fat32 as the take away else you get long threads of people having issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartiniB said:

i'm guessing it will not be enough large for future updates

Hasn't changed ever since... but just buy a new card. The SSD is split between maps and the jukebox. Assume that's fixed and 32gb is it on the maps. You'd get a future subdivision like mib2 standard in zones.

4 hours ago, Tell said:

Hasn't changed ever since... but just buy a new card. The SSD is split between maps and the jukebox. Assume that's fixed and 32gb is it on the maps. You'd get a future subdivision like mib2 standard in zones.

From the VW manual

>>

Navigation map update requirements
• You will need an SD card with a minimum of 32 GB of storage to update your navigation data.
Volkswagen recommends the use of a Class 10 SDHC card, which is readily available to buy.
• You will need the “7-Zip” data compression system with Windows operating systems. You can
download this program from the manufacturer’s website. You will need an unzipping program
that supports the “7z” file format should you be using another operating system.
• The map material requires more than 25 GB of storage capacity. This space needs to be  
available on your computer’s hard drive. Your computer’s hard drive needs to be formatted as an
NTFS drive to enable your computer to handle files of this size. This is standard with newer
computers; with older computers please check this in File Explorer by right-clicking on the
relevant drive under the “Properties” menu option.
Checking the version
Use the “MENU” button to check what version of map material you are using in your Discover Pro. On

<<

The NTFS is on the drive not the SD card :).

It won't grow beyond 32gb since the SSD is split that way with the spare capacity going to the jukebox, that will be the firmware can only change that.

Thus they don't envisage the user using anything than an SD card of 32gb in Fat, which they come in. Ntfs is just talked about for the drive.

B).

I see the German Skoda Community is going off on it now on this subject... and 7zip obviously. Stick to the VW notes on the PDF and you dont have issues. 32gb SD card, class 10, Fat 32, use 7zip to unpack to HD and then copy. If Mac, CleanMydrive app after its copied to the SD to remove Mac garbage (also delete garbage after the clean) & use Keka for unzipping on a Mac. Deviate at your peril :inlove:. You got to love it.

• Like 1

I was a bit slow in updating so they only got installed over the weekend but I did notice something interesting. Not only have the roads been updated near me but they've also got roads that haven't yet been made. 

Now there's a first!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, john999boy said:

I was a bit slow in updating so they only got installed over the weekend but I did notice something interesting. Not only have the roads been updated near me but they've also got roads that haven't yet been made. 

Now there's a first!

The later is not suppose to happen. You could see whether you can navigate onto them. They have the outline sketched of planned routes being built but they are suppose to be excluded.

It can be where crowd sourcing people get a bit bloody minded and they slip through validation. Shouldn't be included till open.  

Tend to think new housing development where they have a barrier up is fine if it's the eventual road and not a thru road - development plan needs to be looked at - if not again people digitise the developers roads on housing estates but not the final road (you see that on Google but most of the where aerial images are incorrectly interpreted). There are a few nut case crow sourcing people that digitise mud tracks as surfaced roads then if they join to an actual road and they get thru validation that's how you end up on mud tracks in rural areas. (Report those to get them out with photographic evidence ideally). OS small area planning maps often via council web sites give the final road layout but may not tell you how it's surfaced, one way systems (obviously and speed). Bollards are shown thou for pedestrian only roads (word "posts")... again a mistake armchair mappers make in linking up roads across estates.

Google had its car up a mud farm track locally which is why I see Google drivers bouncing down it :doh:. Then the armchair mappers come in see it on Google and incorrectly digitised it as a surfaced road. You notice the armchair mappers run out of steam where there is tree cover or the images aren't good. 

Roll for weeding out rubbish as well as putting in correct stuff via Mapcreator.

Edited by Tell
autocorrect error