Is a Superb 272 calling me?

So, I make no secret of it, I was originally looking for a well spec’d Octavia VRS - but recently they all seem a bit boring with hardly any options on (not finding many with a mix of heated front seats, digital display, canton sound system, electric front seats, sunroof etc etc). 

This in turn has lead me down a Superb 272 shaped path!! There aren’t that many for sale currently, but there is one which falls into my price range. 

Can I get peoples opinions on the following - does it seem decent value, over priced, bit of a bargain? Honest opinions welcome. 

https://www.marshall.co.uk/skoda/used-cars/12056277-skoda-superb-2.0-tsi-272-sport-line-plus-4-x4-5dr-dsg/

love the digital display, the fact it’s got heated and electric front seats, canton upgrade. And the “blinky” rear indicators (small things). 

Comes in just about in budget, but just wary as I obviously can’t test drive it or see it in the flesh before agree to buying it. So need to make sure it is as mint as the guy says and no dents or dings etc. 

I showed my brother tonight and he scoffed at the car and instead pointed me to a 4 year old Alfa and some BMW 3 series (some of which were about to be out of warranty and some of which were £2-4k more than this superb!). 

what surprised me with the superb is how fast it is for a big car. Plenty of videos on YouTube of them hitting 60 in around 5.1-5.3 seconds and 17-18 seconds to 200kph. CarWow even had one doing the standing quarter mile in 13.4 seconds which is very reasonable!

Anyway, be good to get some thoughts on the above. Only thing it doesn’t have I think I might miss is the rear wiper? 

Edited by sheriffwoody
  • Like 1

• sheriffwoody changed the title to Is a Superb 272 calling me?

I've been following the prices of second hand 280 and 272 superbs for over a year now. Like most cars they seem to have had a Covid tax hike and there don't seem to be as many available as there were a year or so back.

That being said the price of that car looks pretty good. Only question, the advert doesn't mention canton, are you sure it comes with it. TBF the advert also says in the tech specs that it's 218 bhp 🙄

6 hours ago, sheriffwoody said:

I showed my brother tonight and he scoffed at the car and instead pointed me to a 4 year old Alfa and some BMW 3 series (some of which were about to be out of warranty and some of which were £2-4k more than this superb!). 

this is exactly why I am so happy I chose Superb. Who doesn't know it doesn't know that the Superb has nothing to envy to a 3 series 5 series (yes, you should compare it to a 530i / 540i x drive).
Superb is a great way to keep a low profile, IMO.

6 hours ago, sheriffwoody said:

Anyway, be good to get some thoughts on the above. Only thing it doesn’t have I think I might miss is the rear wiper? 

About the rear wiper you will not miss it. I didn't want to add it and I can confirm that I don't need it. And it also has a cleaner look.

Edited by Roscio

2 hours ago, Roscio said:

this is exactly why I am so happy I chose Superb. Who doesn't know it doesn't know that the Superb has nothing to envy to a 3 series 5 series (yes, you should compare it to a 530i / 540i x drive).
Superb is a great way to keep a low profile, IMO.

About the rear wiper you will not miss it. I didn't want to add it and I can confirm that I don't need it. And it also has a cleaner look.

+1 For the rear wiper. I also did not spec it by choice and love the cleaner look of the car as it is.

Strangely also, despite subconsiously trying to hit the "rear wiper" stalk (that doesn't move) every time it rained during the first months, I realized this was due to habbit and not due to bad visibility, I haven't come across a single occassion where I thought my driving was impaired by the lack of the rear wiper really.

yes, the advert doesn't seem that well written.

I found the car originally on Autotrader, which has about 5 photos, but did have a video which was good.  This is where i saw the Canton badge on the front door.

Then i looked on the Skoda website at the used cars, found it there, and under the specs the only thing it listed in the optional segment was the paint.  Which i thought was strange, as i had looked at a slightly more expensive version and under optional extras it listed canton, electric boot shut, digital display etc etc - all of which the car i am looking at has.  So either they are options and the advert is badly written, or they are not options as the second car has over egged itself (although i know the digital display is an option as not all of them have it).

I am also fairly certain this one has Canton, not only because of the badge, but when looking in the boot you can see the side pockets are filled in (where i assume the amp and sub might be?), where as on some of the others these compartments are free and open to store things in.

So is this likely to have the 9.2" screen or an 8" one?  

From what i can see in the spec and in the video it has digital display, electric shut boot, heated front seats, electric memory front seats, Canton upgrade.  No idea if it has a spare wheel.  In a video the dealership sent me yesterday he said it had heating controls in the rear (on the back of the drivers arm rest) - are they standard?

I came to a 272 Sportline Plus from an Octavia VRS and am glad I did. 

Like you, there were certain upgrades I wanted like the Canton. Unfortunately, there were hardly any with the virtual dash and none in my budget. Personally, I’m glad I have a rear wiper but can’t tell you how well it clears the screen without! Heating controls in the back are/were an option. 

I do find it frustrating that adverts are so poorly written or why they don’t use better quality images. A photo of the speaker grill with the Canton badge would be helpful!

As for owning one, although I drive a pre-facelift, I suspect 90% of the car is the same. It is a much more classy car than the Octavia (again, I’m referring to the last gen Octavia), the interior is vast and very well equipped. The engine pulls like a train, especially at higher speeds. Initially, I was a little disappointed that it didn’t seem that much quicker than the VRS but popping it in sport mode and flooring it soon allayed those fears. I think the improved refinement and different gearbox tune makes it seem less urgent but it is very quick. The one thing I thing let’s it down slightly is the suspension. 90% of the time, it’s great, comfortably for a long drive but not wallowy. It’s only when pushing on along A and B roads where the damping doesn’t seem to be quite enough. It’s in no way dangerous but it doesn’t have the control of a VRS. It is a heavier car, of course. 

As an ownership prospect, as long as you’re not worried about some other’s perception of Skodas, it’s a brilliant car. People who know about cars know they’re great and motoring journalists love them. As long as it’s got what you what and is within your budget, I’d wholeheartedly recommend one. 

• Like 1

They certainly seem to get good enough reviews.  The boot looks huge on them too (plenty of room for a set of golf clubs in a bag!!)

Still a little shocked at the standing quarter mile time from CarWow youtube video - 13.4 seconds places it quicker than a lot of fast hot hatches (i know its not a hot hatch, but just comparing them).

How is the Canton sound system?  Some people say the Canton in the Octavia VRS isn't anything special - is it the exact same kit in the Superb?

And agree on the adverts - it can't be that hard to get the details correct.  Good photos are a must, and when you see an advert on Aututrader which says it has 36 photos you begin to think it will be a well composed advert.  Only then to click on it and find 4 stock images of the car from boring angles and the rest of the "photos" are of the dealership or some facts and figures about the dealership on posters!

Looks nice to me; I wish I'd held out for a 272.

Re the advert, you may find that it gets updated with better info and far more photos. The advert  for mine was equally poor but they only used the  initial information and photos from the skoda auction, when it arrived at the dealer they went mad with the usual 37 photos at jaunty angles. 

Nice looking car, but I wouldn't buy a car from Marshall. I won't bore you with the saga, but I purchased an Approved Used Peugeot from Marshall, and the car was badly prepared and dangerous. Complaints were brushed aside even at group franchise director level. Too big to care are Marshall.

Your Brother is being brave with your money! B)

Digital dashboards can be retrofitted.  You need to speak with @SashaGrace who will give you the direction for that.  My advice....find the best spec Superbe you can get, then add in all the bits you always wanted to make it yours.

Trouble is - a lot of the Superbs I am finding are from Marshall - so a bit of a rock and a hard place there if they aren’t that great. 

can I ask a question to any other 272 owners - what sort of mpg are you getting from it? I know it’s quick-ish, and a big old car, but I won’t be thrashing it everywhere. Wondered if you ever see 35+ on a motorway run etc? 

Bought a Black 272 hatch from Marshall’s Leicester and never had any problems with the car. IIRC it was £23,840 with only 4,900 miles direct from Skoda UK but only had the spare wheel and if it had VC and Canton I might still own it. My followers on here know I averaged 40mpg but I have a nice motorway commute but it did average 48mpg down to Newquay (some 280 miles) and could normally manage 560 miles per tank or 720 miles on a long trip. Those that break the speed limit all the time will tell you it does 25-35mpg. Yours being a 2020 facelift with those options I would phone the dealer to ensure it wasn’t over £40,000 new which would make the first 6 years VED almost £500 per year.

36 minutes ago, sheriffwoody said:

what is the difference between the 272 and 280, in terms of year they were sold?  or are they one and the same thing?

also, is the 272 (the one i am looking at above) chain or belt driven? if belt, when should this be changed?

280s are older. They have a 6 speed dq250 gearbox rather then newer 7speeder. 

280s have exhaust flaps (makes no difference to noise as far as I can tell except for bragging rights). 280s have the older screen with physical buttons each side. They also have the IMO better engine with port + direct injection and no petrol particulate filter. No virtual cockpit on 280. 

You'll get better mpg out of a 272 with longer top gear. Probably harder to find a nice 280 nowadays. Both engines have chain driven cams. 

I like the Canton system, personally. It can sound a little “bright” at times but that is rare. It may not be as good as some other systems, but it is good. It’s basically the same as the Octavia but has additional speakers in the doors. 

MPG wise, I get about 35 overall. My commute is a mixture of motorway, A and B roads. On a long run, I’ve got 40+ but if it’s only shirt journeys, you’ll struggle to get more than 30. Personally, I didn’t buy it to hypermile and enjoy the performance whilst remaining within the legal limits. 

• Like 1

That Marshall's vehicle description is all over the place. 218BHP for a 272? Makes you wonder how much else is not described correctly. "Cut n past" errors from another advert most likely. At least the pics show twin exhausts which confirm it's a 272 - assuming the pics are of the car on sale:sadsmile: . Buying remotely without being able to see it in the flesh definitely has it's drawbacks. I would want to have a detailed conversation & viewing before & shelled out that sort of money.

As others have said 36mpg is feasible if you drive like a nun! But what's the point of buying a car like this is your not going to use the performance. Figure 25-28mpg as nearer the day to day average - especially if you are a regular user of Sport mode on the DSG. 

Personally I would want a rear wiper, which is std on the estate, but since I have no experience of the hatch Superb I can't say for sure whether it's a must have. I would also want a proper spare wheel or a space saver as a minimum.

As well as the boot the rear seat / legroom in the Superb is huge in these cars which is why they should not be compare to 3 series BMW, C class Mercs or any other compact exec models. 5 series / E-Class is the size we are talking about here & even then the Superb has them all beaten on boot space. 

It took me at least 6 months to find my 2016 280 L&K (now 360bhp) when it had 25k on the clock at 2.5yrs old. 1 owner from new for £23K & I had to travel 150miles to Bournemouth (twice) to view & to collect it. L&K spec means it has all the bells & whistles some of which I don't use or need but was missing a pan roof which I did want. Even then mine car was not perfect. Curbed alloys needed refurbishing (which dealer did at no extra cost) & after purchasing I found some small scratches on the roof which I will get sorted at some point but I can live with them for now. In all other respects it's a clean car for a lot less than it's original new price.

Best car I've owned to date &, in 280/272 guise, the ultimate under the radar sleeper which does not attract too much attention.   

• Like 2

i have seen a couple of videos of the car - so fairly happy that it is the car in question.

tbh - i won't be hooning around in it, but tis nice to have the power there if its needed (over taking on b roads, getting up to speed quickly etc).

Does it feel as big as it looks/is when you drive?  How is parking?  With no rear camera (but it does have sensors) i am thinking it could take a while to get used to.

Also - i have never really paid attention to MPG as such.  I normally judge my cars on how many miles I get out of £20.  my old civic type r was about 80-100, current car (lancer estate) is about 100-110, wifes car gives about 130-140 etc.  This to me is more "real world"

Edited by sheriffwoody

2 minutes ago, sheriffwoody said:

Does it feel as big as it looks/is when you drive?  How is parking?  With no rear camera (but it does have sensors) i am thinking it could take a while to get used to.

When you're driving, the car doesn't feel too big. When you park, you realise what a long car it is. The rear camera is very useful in that regard, as the sensors are triggered a bit too early.

Rear wiper is a must for me having missed it on my old mk2.

parking sensors all around are great and auto trigger when close to things too but the camera is brilliant for parking.

used to have park assist but I don’t miss it on this one.

real driving averaging 28mpg for me but I do like to enjoy the power and I live high up so every journey involves climbing a lot of hill to get home hence I can get about 36mpg going to work (28miles motorway and lanes) and between 22-31 coming home (usually around 26 to be honest...)

a 272 would’ve been nice for the 7 gears but I’m more than happy with my 280 and it goes like stink (saw off a diesel m6 the other day too much to my surprise!) and is rarer than rocking horse droppings too now.

great cars, get one you’ll love it!

2 hours ago, sheriffwoody said:

I don’t think it’s a difficult car to park really.  Mine doesn’t have a reversing camera (like you said, very few seem to have it and it really should be standard) but the parking sensors help, though they are pessimistic. I guess that’s better than rubbing paint off the corners of the car!

It is a little longer than my Octavia estate and definitely wider, but visibility is good. You’d soon get used to it.