Infotainment System Restarting endlessly

11 hours ago, Felix2021 said:

I don't know when you had that notification, but if recently, it might still be downloading in the background. It's a big package (8GB or so) and builtin internet connection is very slow.

I also haven't had such issue, using Android app in different versions since almost 2 years.

I had to have re-authenticate several times for any reason, but after logging in car was always there, it was never forgotten by the app.

It's actually cloud based service, so maybe there's something wrong with your account on Skoda/VAG servers?

You could try setting up new account and adding car there, maybe that will help.

So just created a new Škoda profile in the app and deleted original primary user on the car and switched to new user.  Rebooted phone (iPhone) and the car has been immediately forgotten again in the app on my phone 🤦‍♂️

2 minutes ago, walterwhite said:
Edited by walterwhite

1 hour ago, walterwhite said:

I’ve emailed Škoda hopefully they can sort at their end. Not very impressive!

Very frustrating.  Just double checking, you’ve done the whole pressing buttons on both the key fobs in the car to confirm you are the Primary User?

Edited by spcdust

3 minutes ago, spcdust said:

Very frustrating.  Just double checking, you’ve done the whole pressing buttons on both the key fobs in the car to confirm you are the Primary User?

Hi. Yep so it’s registered fine in the car. It’s just the mobile app keeps forgetting the car. I have to re add the car in the app permanently.  But the car is fine. I’m registered as the primary user. I’ve chalked it up as another Škoda glitch 😞

15 hours ago, walterwhite said:

So just created a new Škoda profile in the app and deleted original primary user on the car and switched to new user.  Rebooted phone (iPhone) and the car has been immediately forgotten again in the app on my phone 🤦‍♂️

Sorry to hear. To be honest i have no more ideas. Really strange issue.

7 minutes ago, Felix2021 said:

Sorry to hear. To be honest i have no more ideas. Really strange issue.

Yep 😞.  Skoda have already come back to me. They have said not my VIN is not registered against my MySkoda account, even though I can log in, add my VIN and find my car on the app or web version. It just forgets it very quickly. Has to be a server side glitch.

10 hours ago, walterwhite said:

Yep 😞.  Skoda have already come back to me. They have said not my VIN is not registered against my MySkoda account, even though I can log in, add my VIN and find my car on the app or web version. It just forgets it very quickly. Has to be a server side glitch.

So basically Škoda support totally useless. They’ve said the VIN isn’t enrolled on the MySkoda account. Basically computer says no. I’ve explained I can log in and add the VIN but everytime after a few minutes the car disappears out of the portal - web or app version. I explained I’m still logged into the MyŠkoda account in the car and the store loads. But I can’t buy anything as it redirects me back to the web portal, which is the bit that forgets my car.  Even if their tech support can’t work out what’s wrong from a server side issue I don’t see why they can’t add the VIN manually to the account . But they seem to have absolutely no idea what to do. Quite infuriating!

Try resetting the car to factory defaults, uninstall the app, there are two My Skoda apps on Play store believe or not, the original one is buggy but the other one which I think is called My Essentials works very well and is much better. 

13 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

Try resetting the car to factory defaults, uninstall the app, there are two My Skoda apps on Play store believe or not, the original one is buggy but the other one which I think is called My Essentials works very well and is much better. 

Ok so I think … fixed.  I was using the MyŠkoda essentials app which wouldn’t remember my car for more than a few minutes (on iPhone).  Just tried out the MyŠkoda app which appears to have remembered the car even after reboots of my phone. So seems all good, so happy with that, fingers crossed!  Just got to find a floor matt fixing now as the previous owner has removed one of them for the drivers matt.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Giannis20 said:

I read that a new version was released for VW  (1969). It is possible that it will follow for our car as well.

(Before ditching the idea because of a few quality issues) I was recently looking at the Cupra Formentor and Cupra/Seat have also had v1969 for a good month or two now. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WaveyDavey said:

I was recently looking at the Cupra Formentor and Cupra/Seat have also had v1969 for a good month or two now. 

Seat/Cupra is now guinea pig for VAG SW doepartment. They always get new firmwares as first ones. Next is VW and Skoda is last one, with sometimes even few months of delay.

Edited by Felix2021
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Felix2021 said:

Seat/Cupra is now guinea pig for VAG SW doepartment. They always get new firmwares as first ones. Next is VW and Skoda is last one, with sometimes even few months of delay.

That's OK, at least they'll find the bugs first! 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, wish that was the case :)

Unfortunately it seems that we are getting same bugs, just a bit later. But it applies also for any fixes, which we are also getting later :)

Seems Skoda is taking their time to apply their skins to "barebone" firmware...

Everybody need to implement there UI as based OS is plain Linux.

Skoda just seems to be last in line.. nothing else..

But it will be interesting if UI will be faster.. the only glitch for me is swaping between back camera and back to Android Auto.. other things are enough fast..

• Like 1

I'm wondering what will happen with MIB3 development once MIB4 is more widely released.

The new MIB4 system seems like a half generation forward like how MIB2 was to MIB2.5.

From what I've seen of the MIB4 it looks like the mapping remains identical and the control screens for other modules look functionally the same (e.g. driver assist, air conditioning, vehicle settings). It's basically a UI update with more processing power - which makes me wonder about future retrofit possibilities.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, walterwhite said:

So regarding the built in maps, mine says 24.2. Is that the latest?  Thanks!

Maps version consists of year and month of relese, so yes, 24.2 seems latest one, March maps are probably still due to be released.

7 hours ago, aaaaplay said:

I'm wondering what will happen with MIB3 development once MIB4 is more widely released.

Is it really called MIB4 now in FL models, or is it 3.5? In the past FL models usually got .5 MIB's.

I would assume it's MIB3.5 and MIB4 will go to new generation of the cars, but i might be wrong.

7 hours ago, aaaaplay said:

which makes me wonder about future retrofit possibilities.

Might be possible, but might also require a lot of fiddling. I remember people upgrading MIB1 to MIB2 in some cars, but it required a bit more changes than a simple swap.

Interesting thought.
Keep in mind that this is not the main unit, this is just the screen. The central unit is located somewhere above the passenger compartment.
The central unit may not be able to cooperate with the new screen, so this also needs searching before you start anything.

9 hours ago, Giannis20 said:

Interesting thought.
Keep in mind that this is not the main unit, this is just the screen. The central unit is located somewhere above the passenger compartment.
The central unit may not be able to cooperate with the new screen, so this also needs searching before you start anything.

Another thought, it might be possible to swap the just the glovebox unit because the new Octavia's are supposedly keeping the 10.25" display for entry level vehicles - although no photos have been released of what that looks like.

But as you suggest just because they physically fit and connect, doesn't mean they'll be compatible in respect to software/coding. I'll be keeping an eye on drive2.ru because they do some crazy stuff on there.

• Like 1

I used the German configurator and found a photo of the new 10" display, similar but minus the home and menu button.

Screenshot2024-03-07at9_59_14am.thumb.png.0e068ce95f1577548412bc93ff73ea93.png

Excuse my ignorance but have there been many hardware updates to the units installed over the last 3 years?

I'm looking to purchase a used vRS and there is an April 2021 registered car at a Skoda dealership local to me. Would a unit of this age be slower or more prone to issues than one fitted in a later car? Can older units still run the same latest software versions as a unit in a car say only a year old etc.....  Also when i'm physically looking at a car how do I find what the installed software version is?

31 minutes ago, WaveyDavey said:

Excuse my ignorance but have there been many hardware updates to the units installed over the last 3 years?

I'm looking to purchase a used vRS and there is an April 2021 registered car at a Skoda dealership local to me. Would a unit of this age be slower or more prone to issues than one fitted in a later car? Can older units still run the same latest software versions as a unit in a car say only a year old etc.....  Also when i'm physically looking at a car how do I find what the installed software version is?

There have been hardware revisions, but nothing noticeable by the end user.

However, seperate to the infotainment system, they did introduce a new version of the virtual cockpit display from 2023. It's a bit smoother and has more views, such as the traditional tachometer plus maps. But it took a while for anyone to pick up on the change.

The latest version for the infotainment system is 1941. You can check in settings > system information. If it hasn't been installed then ask the dealership to do it for you as part of the dealer. Anything older than 1896 and it will be buggy as hell.

18F402F1-818C-46A1-9EB6-5D90EBD074AB_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.d4ce4dcd5a3130a695d1af5934e9fd18.jpeg

I've got an early 2021 Octavia RS and it's still receiving updates. So far it's been getting faster and more stable as updates have been released. The screenshot above is from my car, but it's from late last year. I've updated the maps since then.

I'm just waiting on my climatronic module to be updated to fix my temperature sync issue - but that's a dealer being a PITA issue because the update has been around since September 2021.

Edited by aaaaplay
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, aaaaplay said:

There have been hardware revisions, but nothing noticeable by the end user.

However, seperate to the infotainment system, they did introduce a new version of the virtual cockpit display from 2023. It's a bit smoother and has more views, such as the traditional tachometer plus maps. But it took a while for anyone to pick up on the change.

The latest version for the infotainment system is 1941. You can check in settings > system information. If it hasn't been installed then ask the dealership to do it for you as part of the dealer. Anything older than 1896 and it will be buggy as hell.

18F402F1-818C-46A1-9EB6-5D90EBD074AB_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.d4ce4dcd5a3130a695d1af5934e9fd18.jpeg

I've got an early 2021 Octavia RS and it's still receiving updates. So far it's been getting faster and more stable as updates have been released. The screenshot above is from my car, but it's from late last year. I've updated the maps since then.

I'm just waiting on my climatronic module to be updated to fix my temperature sync issue - but that's a dealer being a PITA issue because the update has been around since September 2021.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions it's much appreciated. It's been 10 years since i got my Superb so a long time since i was in this situation of car hunting and constantly thinking of new questions to answer.

When you say a new virtual cockpit unit was introduced last year does that mean the units previously were unable to display the sat-nav map between the dials? I only ask as i was sure whilst looking at used cars online i'd seen cars older than 2023 with the sat-nav display on the cockpit screen between the dials..... Or am i getting the wrong end of the stick.

43 minutes ago, WaveyDavey said:

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions it's much appreciated. It's been 10 years since i got my Superb so a long time since i was in this situation of car hunting and constantly thinking of new questions to answer.

When you say a new virtual cockpit unit was introduced last year does that mean the units previously were unable to display the sat-nav map between the dials? I only ask as i was sure whilst looking at used cars online i'd seen cars older than 2023 with the sat-nav display on the cockpit screen between the dials..... Or am i getting the wrong end of the stick.

Not a problem.

Sometime around mid 2023 Skoda added an extra view to the virtual cockpit.

Most Mk4 Octavias with Maps and the MOI3 system (bigger 10.25" infotainment display) can display this first view:

Screenshot2024-03-07at11_47_18am.png.bfb92c54fb5e7d2aeb78bd229663e914.png

However, only Octavias with the updated virtual cockpit get the additional dials and map view like this:
673203980_2023-04-0314_09_13-Window.thumb.webp.2f319e786a2560ceea160bcb4d476ecd.webp

It's minor but I do prefer the second view as that's is what was available in my previous car a Kamiq Monte Carlo.

From what I've read the earlier virtual cockpits don't have enough processing power. Mine tends to struggle when there are a lot of 3D buildings e.g. I'm driving through the Melbourne CBD. Skoda started installing this clusters in late 2022 and enabling the additional view from factory sometime in 2023 - in other words some cars from late 2022 can have this enabled via coding e.g. OBDeleven if they don't have it from factory.

I'd still buy a 2021 over a 2022 or 2023 though, because some of them lost features due to component shortages - at least for us in Australia, I'd consult a UK user on changes for your market - side note a model year changes thread would be a great idea for the forum because Skoda isn't alway clear on the changes they make.

• Thanks 1