TMC traffic events no longer being received...firmware update required?

Just found this post on the VWAF Forum. I don't know if he is correct and cannot check as my MMI3G green menu is not active and I do not have a VCDS or OBD11.

Unlike later VAG Navis, the MMI3G can switch between INRIX and Trafficmaster as the TMC source (in the UK).
I cannot remember where, but somewhere in the settings menus it says TMC Source> Capital Radio or Classic FM. I think you just need to choose the other and wait a while.
Later Navis are stuck on TrafficMaster who no longer run a TMC Service.

21 minutes ago, Hillbilly23 said:

Just found this post on the VWAF Forum. I don't know if he is correct and cannot check as my MMI3G green menu is not active and I do not have a VCDS or OBD11.

Unlike later VAG Navis, the MMI3G can switch between INRIX and Trafficmaster as the TMC source (in the UK).
I cannot remember where, but somewhere in the settings menus it says TMC Source> Capital Radio or Classic FM. I think you just need to choose the other and wait a while.

Nifty if it did since it would have to have the radio station names against the ids. Feels like wishful thinking to me. It could say found two but don't reckon it would index out the station name. Hearsay evidence.

1 hour ago, Hillbilly23 said:

Audi’s RNSE platform has this option also.

The system is just displaying the radio stations that are advertising a service via the TMC flag.  It doesn’t mean it can correctly decode the messages from them all though.  RNSE for example is missing the necessary TMC Location Tables for INRIX (confirmed by examining the database). Only Trafficmaster locations are present.

So while RNSE displays a selection of “Heart”, “Capital” and “Classic” in the TMC selection menu (along with an “auto” option) trying to force the TMC function to use “Classic” doesn’t switch to INRIX because it’s missing the required database.

Of course MMI3G may be different, but regardless it should be necessary to force using the correct FM network.  The system will use any network (in the default “auto” mode) for which it holds a suitable location table.

• Like 1

I have been following this with interest, and quite a bit of frustration as it appears that those of us with older cars may be out of luck. But there may be some hope!

I have an early 2014 petrol 220 VRS with perhaps unusually a winter pack and MIB1 Amundsen head unit.

Sorry not sure if this was standard for that 1st half of year 2014.

I found TMC quite useful, as although I have a Garmin satnav, that predates my purchase of the car, the satnav does not have TMC, and it is so old now live traffic though Garmin’s smartphone link is not supported, and from the reviews I have seen live traffic may have data size and power drain isue on phones anyway.

MIB 1 maps updates ended in 2020/2021 so when I noted some posts about older maps having the INRIX data and one from Tell with the settings to adjust

“15 is no online traffic, Trafficmaster RDS TMC
14 is no online traffic, ITIS/INRIX RDS TMC “

I thought lets have a look as I have Obdeleven Pro

My unit was coded with 15

So I tried setting it to 14.

I then turned off the ignition, removed the key, removed the Obdeleven Pro dongle. Turned car back on and then reset the Head unit by pressing the power button for about 10 seconds.

Once the satnav got going (takes a minute or two) I waited a couple of extra minutes and when I pressed TRAFFIC button I have TMC back!

Given that there are no newer maps for MIB1 This may mean some inaccuracies on the TMC reports, but from what saw all looks as good.

I still use the Garmin sat nav which still gets map updates for actual driving, but having TMC back is good as in the past it has saved me from some holdups.

The most recent maps file I downloaded was

STD1_P94_EU_202022.zip

but looking in the zip it is described as

SystemName=" ECE 2020/21 "

I hope this is of some use to people with MIB1 Amundsen units.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, StephenVRS said:

I have been following this with interest, and quite a bit of frustration as it appears that those of us with older cars may be out of luck. But there may be some hope!

I have an early 2014 petrol 220 VRS with perhaps unusually a winter pack and MIB1 Amundsen head unit.

Sorry not sure if this was standard for that 1st half of year 2014.

I found TMC quite useful, as although I have a Garmin satnav, that predates my purchase of the car, the satnav does not have TMC, and it is so old now live traffic though Garmin’s smartphone link is not supported, and from the reviews I have seen live traffic may have data size and power drain isue on phones anyway.

MIB 1 maps updates ended in 2020/2021 so when I noted some posts about older maps having the INRIX data and one from Tell with the settings to adjust

“15 is no online traffic, Trafficmaster RDS TMC
14 is no online traffic, ITIS/INRIX RDS TMC “

I thought lets have a look as I have Obdeleven Pro

My unit was coded with 15

So I tried setting it to 14.

I then turned off the ignition, removed the key, removed the Obdeleven Pro dongle. Turned car back on and then reset the Head unit by pressing the power button for about 10 seconds.

Once the satnav got going (takes a minute or two) I waited a couple of extra minutes and when I pressed TRAFFIC button I have TMC back!

Given that there are no newer maps for MIB1 This may mean some inaccuracies on the TMC reports, but from what saw all looks as good.

I still use the Garmin sat nav which still gets map updates for actual driving, but having TMC back is good as in the past it has saved me from some holdups.

The most recent maps file I downloaded was

STD1_P94_EU_202022.zip

but looking in the zip it is described as

SystemName=" ECE 2020/21 "

I hope this is of some use to people with MIB1 Amundsen units.

Well there you are. I was going to have a look at the mib2 standard that we have and go searching for tmc in 5f although I thought the great and the good on the Amundsen mib2 would have done that. So from your post mib1 standard is kitted out on the map side for that change. May not be the case for the mib2 standard which is why old maps and the convoluted approach since the Inrix provider is said not to be in those maps after TomTom took the cartography over.

It was easy enough for me to test out the 14 setting on my mib2 high when pcbbc and I were on the same page. Credit pcbbc to that I flagged my factory set mib2 high was on 15. The chestnut we'd had with retrofitters getting it wrong.

46 minutes ago, David55 said:

The code I have is 32771 

Do I change that to 32782

Try it. You need to do the long reboot after.

You find your 32771 code listed in the tables here:

https://github.com/Mr-MIBonk/M.I.B._More-Incredible-Bash/discussions/69

If that doesn't work I'd look at those tables for 32771 and find one with the same option but Inrix / ITIS.  You can look inside the file as pcbbc suggested to me. Thats where the Mr Bonk people get the logic and codes from. Had a look at the posted tables seems only suggested model answer... 32782

Mib2\NavDB\mapStyles_eu\0\default\x\navigation_styles_XX_EU.iso and look in folder Ti for file paytmc.json

The actual logic is that. Not at home you may find something different but the Mr Bonk posts look like 32782 although that's listed against China 🤔.

Edited by Tell
correct link

On 11/06/2023 at 13:22, Tell said:

Looks like it’s the itis marker that’s important as that is INRIX I will give it a try later 

Edited by David55

For anyone else with an RNS510 (or possibly RNS310/RNS315), I've been attempting to do some more digging on this.

I tried simply selecting Classic FM (Inrix) in the TMC settings, but only Heart (Trafficmaster) shows up despite me being able to tune to Classic FM no problem. It's interesting that Heart still shows as a TMC-broadcasting station, despite that service being turned off.

I also tried plugging in OBDEleven, to see if I could identify anything that looks similar to the coding options people have found for the MIB units. No such luck as far as I could see, though I'm not an expert - it might be that there are some bits that need to be enabled somewhere which aren't obviously labelled. If anyone with VCDS sees any options I'd love to know.

I suspect this can only be resolved on the RNS unit itself however. I have RNS Manager software, which doesn't seem to have any TMC-related options. I know SetConfig is a more advanced tool but I don't have that.

I do have a spare RNS510 with a minor fault or two, so I may pull the HDD out and see if I can see anything in the files which could relate to TMC - I'm hoping for a slim chance that it's like MIB, in that Inrix TMC is there ready and waiting to be used, if the unit is configured to do so. But I don't hold out much hope.

I'll post back here any progress I make with the RNS510 in case anyone else with one finds this thread 🙂

hi yes it was only one with itis INRIX on the list and traveled from Cheshire to Southampton this am worked perfectly . Kept old code handy in case of european excursion . 

• Like 1

Ok so I need to ask (for those of us that don’t get the technical talk). What do I need to do to sort my Amundsen unit (assuming that’s what it is as it take map data from the sad card)?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mattnam said:

Ok so I need to ask (for those of us that don’t get the technical talk). What do I need to do to sort my Amundsen unit (assuming that’s what it is as it take map data from the sad card)?

Aw, speak nicely to it and maybe it will become a happy SD card 😋

1 hour ago, Mattnam said:

As I posted earlier in this thread - I've sussed the Amundsen but unfortunately it's not as straight forward as the Columbus. The Amundsen map makers removed the Traffic Information tables from the maps circa 2019/20 so at the moment only maps prior to that period will work. Furthermore, to make the maps work some techy work needs to be done by the user which would involve the use of Vcds/Obd11 along with the correct version of the MIB2Toolbox. I envisage that a lot of users might have trouble accessing/using these tools and could possibly end up damaging their units. I've been trying to prepare a more simpler method which I know can be done but so far due to my own limited abilities I have been unsuccessful. I'm a bit reluctant to post my method at the present time as I wouldn't want the blame for anybody's mishaps so I will keep trying for a few more days to come up with an easier method. Failing that - I will as a final resort - post my " how to " with the " do so at your own risk " warning.

• Like 2

My traffic info on my Amundsen stopped only this year.  I updated my maps in December replacing the one I’d downloaded from the Skoda site.  I was surprised at even getting traffic info up to last year as my Karoq is 2018.

21 minutes ago, DBSurrey said:

My traffic info on my Amundsen stopped only this year.  I updated my maps in December replacing the one I’d downloaded from the Skoda site.  I was surprised at even getting traffic info up to last year as my Karoq is 2018.

Trafficmaster stopped broadcasting early April 2023 that is when the RDS-TMC stopped working.  

It's April 2023 when it went.

Yes @bigade1 I'm willing to wait to test it on the mib2 standard that's Amundsen for Skoda folk, Discover Media for VW folk and Seat standard for Seat folk.

The mib2 high fix for Columbus, Seat Plus and Dicovery Pro for VW folk is the re coding posted by @pcbbc

32783 is online traffic permitted + Trafficmaster RDS TMC

32782 is online traffic permitted + ITIS/INRIX RDS TMC

15 is NO online traffic, Trafficmaster RDS TMC

14 is NO online traffic, ITIS/INRIX RDS TMC

Those work on Audi as well. For that one the golden rule is if you see a two number code in the TMC coding slots it's going to be 14 to go in there. Five character it's going to be 32782

On the last one Pcbbc had a different original 5 character code to David55 but the the fix was 32782. It's just the may VW and Audi had set it up.

The example on a mib2 high using Obdeleven Pro I posted above. The 5f menu, adaptions, search tmc. Look at the code. Replace. Reboot unit. It works.

Edited by Tell

1 minute ago, Tell said:

It's April 2023 when it went.

Yes @bigade1 I'm willing to wait to test it on the mib2 standard that's Amundsen for Skoda folk, Discover Media for VW folk and Seat standard for Seat folk.

The mib2 high fix for Columbus, Seat Plus and Dicovery Pro for VW folk is the re coding posted by

The ideal solution for my MIB2 std would be an edit of the maps, I know nothing of this Vcds/Obd11 but as an ex IT person would be happy with even a hex editor on my PC........      Obd11 sounds like something from a Starwars film to me! 

8 minutes ago, NigelR99 said:

The ideal solution for my MIB2 std would be an edit of the maps, I know nothing of this Vcds/Obd11 but as an ex IT person would be happy with even a hex editor on my PC........      Obd11 sounds like something from a Starwars film to me! 

Reckon you wont get away without coding the head unit on any solution.

That 14 also works for mib1 Amundsen (that will be all mib1 standards with the final map update) as reported on the thread and I suspect the mib1 high as well. Perhaps a surprising finding.

If its a mib1 standard without later maps you'd have to update the maps first, I say that since I've got a pretty original mib2 standard map without tmc (~2015). They must have rolled out tmc later since I find it in those copies. Seat we need a file from the early maps to fix when people loose their map card to repair the unit. A mapcare thing.

Edited by Tell

On 09/06/2023 at 11:16, pcbbc said:

Nowhere.  The values are all the same setting for IDE501111.  Different MIB2 units are coded differently with different settings…
32783 is online traffic permitted + Trafficmaster RDS TMC

32782 is online traffic permitted + ITIS/INRIX RDS TMC

15 is NO online traffic, Trafficmaster RDS TMC

14 is NO online traffic, ITIS/INRIX RDS TMC

So for MIB2 High you will need to code either 32782 (if your current setting is 32783) OR code 14 (if your current setting is 15).

Hi, 

Having prodded around in the JSON files, and NOT having VCDS to be able to make the tweaks myself, I am wondering if there could be another option, which is to relabel the block of text in paytmc.json (i.e. flip the values 32782 / 32783), so that the maps are updated to contain the new data rather than the pointers configured from VCDS. Likewise with the 14/15 which seem to be defined in  paytmc_s0to15.json. 

Is this likely to work, or is there some inherent meaning in the values which I've not spotted ? 

I'm assuming I could edit the ISO file and reload the maps file (I've just updated maps, so not sure I can do that even). 

Alan.