Un-repairable Yeti! Worthless Warranty

Skoda Torque

In July 2014 my Elegance 2.0 TDI 4x4 developed a knocking problem, this after 2 years of ownership from new - at 24000 miles. After a couple of abortive attempts to rectify the problem Murray Skoda at Newton Abbot refused to investigate any further and literally told me to go away!

Even Skoda Customer Services could not get Murray Skoda to respond - so onto Carrs Skoda at Exeter. They have valiantly tried to resolve the issue and have changed CV joints, transmission transfer box, rebuilt the gear box and tried many other things - all to no avail.

Eventually Skoda Technical sent a man to investigate - who requested the change of the Diesel Particulate Filter - again no good. Now they are proposing to change the turbo-charger and other items - but after 10 months of agony I have said "enough".

I want a replacement vehicle and have advised Skoda Customer Services to this effect.

Now they are failing to respond to me.

Is the Skoda Warranty worth anything?

Advice please

They can't just wash their hands of it if it's within the 3 year warranty period, they'd get ripped to shreds if they did

I'd take it to the selling dealer and insist on an indefinite equivalent courtesy car until it's fixed, or get them to replace it

• Like 1

Re-reading this it would appear that your car has only three months of it's warranty period left so I can't see the chances of you getting a replacement car as being very high.

I would dearly love to be proved wrong though.

Re-reading this it would appear that your car has only three months of it's warranty period left so I can't see the chances of you getting a replacement car as being very high.

I would dearly love to be proved wrong though.

The fault was, however, reported 9 months earlier

• Like 2

This happens to be the same dealer that services mine and has done whatever warranty work has arisen.  Am genuinely surprised and disappointed.  Not had cause to complain with any degree of seriousness up to now but haven't had any disputes or confrontations with them.  I was a bit surprised to learn that they've decided not to sell Skodas any more - and are now VW only....and have had the major showroom refurb that went with the decision. 

As it happens the town's Honda dealer recently relocated to the garage directly opposite and I've often speculated which of the two might get my next order.  Now that they don't sell Skodas that has altered the odds a little.  

A great shame to hear about the experiences detailed here.  I'll look to see what happens.

You should contact...Vice President  Alison Jones FCCA CTA MCMI, She is the Group after sales and Customer Quality Director for the VW Group,  for Audi, VW, Seat

and Skoda.

Just Google her name and have a look.

You may have to go down this road.

All the best.

Sorry to hear of the problems you are having, and on what was a two year old car. From the way you have described things and if Skoda UK aren't onto this I'd be gathering together all my paperwork and heading to Citizen's Advice or a solicitor with expertise in consumer legislation to get qualified advice as to where you go from here. My understanding is that the starting point is that as the fault was reported within the warranty period the selling dealer (as the company you have your contract with) is responsible for rectifying it even once the warranty has expired.

Hopefully it won't come to it and things will get resolved amicably but bear in mind there is always the Small Claims Court for claims up to £10,000. You don't need a solicitor, the process is very straight forward (I've used it) and the fees are realistic - and if you win often the other party will have to reimburse them through the judgement. With a judgement in your favour you then have recourse to bailiffs or High Court Sheriffs for enforcement. It's always possible that even a credible threat of legal action will prompt the selling dealer to decide to negotiate a resolution with you but if it does have to go to court you do need to be properly prepared, including making sure you are suing the right party, hence my suggestion of at least talking to a solicitor or Citizen's Advice. You also need advice on the legal position of having had the car repaired at another dealership.

When a case is listed there is often a stage before a court hearing where the parties are invited to use the services of a mediator. This was and I think still is a free service and could help bring the selling dealer back to the table to talk - or if they refuse potentially be seen in a negative light at the court hearing.

Good luck.

• Like 1

You should contact...Vice President  Alison Jones FCCA CTA MCMI, She is the Group after sales and Customer Quality Director for the VW Group,  for Audi, VW, Seat

and Skoda.

Just Google her name and have a look.

You may have to go down this road.

All the best.

Oh there is a woman at the wheel.... no wonder Skoda is going downhill.

:happy:  :)  :)  :)  :)

Apparently mediation is not mentioned if a court hearing follows!

May be a misunderstanding here, I simply meant if the OP agreed to mediation it would not be in the dealer's interest to refuse this as the purpose of mediation is to try and get a resolution without taking up the court's time. And at least with mediation it re-opens communications, the lack of which seems part of his frustration.

(And with your signature line should we really trust you with legal stuff? :) )

Hi, I'm not a legal minded person but,

with that age of vehicle, and time since purchase I do not think a replacement vehicle will be possible or offered.

In so far as fault not being found, it seems that the dealership accepts there is a fault/problem.

You will need to insist Skoda UK find and fix the fault.

Therefore I believe it is down to Skoda UK to insist that a dealer finds and sorts the fault.

The Skoda warranty is valid and worth something, just not as much as we would like.

Then issue a claim against Skoda UK for their failure and the time taken to find/fix the fault.

It won't be easy or quick (as you know), you have to get very firm and polite with them.

Make sure you inform them that you are recording all phone calls and, put it all in writing to them with copies

if possible with a complete list/dates of everything.

Try to get copies of the work they have actually carried out so far.

Good luck, it will take time. It took me around 6 months to sort out my last Freelander (L/R).

Many thanks to all who have responded on this issue and for the advice and information provided.

I was unaware that Murray Skoda in Newton Abbot have decide to stop selling Skodas - probably a wise decision given my experience with them.

One does not really want to resort to a legal battle as the only winners are the Lawyers, and I would have thought Skoda would have had an interest in trying to preserve their reputation when things do go wrong.

Matter still in discussion - will up-date the community when the dust has settled

To late now being a bank holiday weekend.

On Tuesday contact Skoda Customer Services & get them to have a Customer Services Manager contact you.

John Good, Tom Chadwick, Dane Wilson or the likes.

Any Communications you get to Alasdair Stewart Brand Director Skoda UK usually gets them communicating.

08457 745 745

Or try 

David Allen 

Head Of Customer Quality and Network Development

Skoda UK

Yeomans Drive 

Blakelands

Milton Keynes

MK04 5AN                

Tel 01908 548000        Tell him about your Skoda UK Dealership & Skoda UK Customer Services Experience.

The answer might have to be getting an Independent Motor Engineers Report carried out on the Vehicle.

Letting Skoda UK know you will be pursuing them for this Expense & all others you have had so far.

CAB take your case details & pass on to Trading Standards.

They can assist on having the Vehicles Report done as the vehicle is not fit for purpose.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 2

In July 2014 my Elegance 2.0 TDI 4x4 developed a knocking problem, this after 2 years of ownership from new - at 24000 miles. After a couple of abortive attempts to rectify the problem Murray Skoda at Newton Abbot refused to investigate any further and literally told me to go away!

Even Skoda Customer Services could not get Murray Skoda to respond - so onto Carrs Skoda at Exeter. They have valiantly tried to resolve the issue and have changed CV joints, transmission transfer box, rebuilt the gear box and tried many other things - all to no avail.

Eventually Skoda Technical sent a man to investigate - who requested the change of the Diesel Particulate Filter - again no good. Now they are proposing to change the turbo-charger and other items - but after 10 months of agony I have said "enough".

I want a replacement vehicle and have advised Skoda Customer Services to this effect.

Now they are failing to respond to me.

Is the Skoda Warranty worth anything?

Advice please

I wonder if your thread title shows a breakdown in relationship as much as anything-replacement vehicle is rarely an outcome on a vehicle which is as well used as yours-I'm sure we all feel for you but the worthless warranty has paid out how much so far? Not sure what the knocking you have is without a description it is hard to say but you have my best wishes. At  this stage of the cars life offering a good trade in is the best you can expect.

• Like 2

I have a bit of experience of car rejection (so a replacement vehicle). To achieve this, you really need to show the fault existed from point of sale. In the first 6 months the onus is on the seller to prove it wasn't, after that it is for you to show it was. On a 2 yr old car with 24k miles you will struggle to show this to enable a replacement by right. This all links to your sale of goods act rights and the supplying dealer (with whom you have the contract).

Also at this stage your recourse is with Skoda UK as you are relying on the warranty and they are under no obligation to provide a replacement. That said, 3 attempts at fixing is seen as reasonable, anything more than this and talking replacements isn't unreasonable. If they do, you could only expect one from the national used stock of a similar age/spec or expect to pay for the use you have had of the car for a new replacement. If going down this route I would insist that calculation of the use you have had is based on the point at which the fault was first reported not current age and mileage. I would be pushing for this resolution.

Do you have finance on the car? If so, it's also worth involving the finance company as they have an interest in the car.

Finally - write to the motoring press, cc to Skoda - you may get a motoring mag to take up the case on your behalf.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Falmouthboy

• 2 weeks later...

This is interesting  have started to notice knocking on my 13th L&K  thought it might be CV joints but also noticed knocking under load, 4 adults on board,upon accleration, also when cruising in 6th and accleration. 

Have chatted to dealer as 30 k service coming up hope they can help.

This is interesting  have started to notice knocking on my 13th L&K  thought it might be CV joints but also noticed knocking under load, 4 adults on board,upon accleration, also when cruising in 6th and accleration. 

Blimey, what happened to the other 12? :notme:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

You know I had this in my superb 4x4, CR 170... I felt to describe it as a vibration from the tranny, but I could not fathom it out. No one else could either, only occurred under hard acceleration which is I think why no one else could sense it. Never resolved, deemed ok, seemed to work ok overall. Also quite common when in 6th pulling past 70 ( In europe )

To the OP, please do let us know, maybe worth mounting a audio or camera device to record when it's occurring. There maybe a pattern and the masses out here may spot something every ones missed.

• Like 1