The Twins. (And Yeti RS)

BossFox

With the Yeti in it's current pre-Christmas weight loss routine, it seems the ideal time to get some mesh behind the upper and lower front grilles to protect the radiator and oil cooler from damage from flying gravel.

Will the new lightweight front windscreen be road legal? I was wondering how it would be regarded at future MOT's given your intention to drive to trackdays.

What are you going to do with the side windows? Time to lose the electric motors in the rear doors and possibly convert the front doors to manual operation.

With the Yeti in it's current pre-Christmas weight loss routine, it seems the ideal time to get some mesh behind the upper and lower front grilles to protect the radiator and oil cooler from damage from flying gravel.

Will the new lightweight front windscreen be road legal? I was wondering how it would be regarded at future MOT's given your intention to drive to trackdays.

What are you going to do with the side windows? Time to lose the electric motors in the rear doors and possibly convert the front doors to manual operation.

I am taking advice on the front screen, as it's one of those grey areas that everyone and their dog has an opinion on.

Rear doors are completely stripped, but I am retaining the electric front windows at the moment.

Not seen a Yeti with manual winders in the front.  Think even E spec had electric fronts.

Not sure if a non glass screen will be road legal?

Even makrolon etc is going to scratch a little (think of the wipers clearing a dirty screen on a wet track day) meaning visibility will be seriously compromised.

Personally I would go with the heated screen option (on account it is already out) also if you are retaining opening windows in the front actually weigh the glass as I doubt there will be a great weight saving from just the glass alone and anything really light will scratch easily..

Front windshield has to be safety glass or not road legal. In any case you would not want a stone or a nut going through a plastic one and remodelling your facial features, would you?

Like I said...

I am taking advice on the front screen, as it's one of those grey areas that everyone and their dog has an opinion on.

It appears they will pass a casual MOT anyway, but fail constrution and use.

• Like 1

Well, unless you want drive around with your helmet on at all times ;)

Not sure what you mean there.  How will a plexiglass screen as used in some motorsport be more danagerous if a stone etc.. hits the screen.

It's not going to shatter.

Not that I am fitting, just a question.

Also, my helmet is open face! :D

Not sure what you mean there.  How will a plexiglass screen as used in some motorsport be more danagerous if a stone etc.. hits the screen.

Plexiglass will shatter instantly, Lexan (polycarbonate) will not and if a correct thickness is used (usually two layers with spacial coats) it will be better than glass as it can stop hand gun bullets. 

I think the main problem with the "good spec" ones is they scratch but than again if anti scratch coatings are used then this should be no problem.

As for road legality if such a windsheild is "E" marked or "type approved" then I suppose it will be road legal.

If you drive in full face helmet you do not have that problem :) no screen however will screw up aero a little bit more ;)

EDIT:

http://www.plastics4performance.com/skoda-fabia-mk-2-lexan-full-window-kit.html

Edited by Jabozuma
  • Like 1

MSA Regulations;

J.5.20.8

Except for racing cars, be fitted with a windscreen. If plastic windscreen, side screens or rear windows are fitted the thickness must not be less than 4mm.

More progress...

XeKz70.jpg

8OGiOI.jpg

Time to get cracking on the TT-RS. :D

b4UpIt.jpg

Really hope I get to see this in the flesh, would love to get behind the wheel of something like this (hint hint) ;)

• Like 1

Not seen a Yeti with manual winders in the front.  Think even E spec had electric fronts.

You're right. I've just looked at my Yeti brochure and the E did, indeed, come with electric front windows, so I guess leaving them in would be the easiest option unless anyone knows whether any foreign spec Yeti's come supplied with manual front windows.

You'll have to produce a manual of all the changes that have been made to the car so that I can study it before trackdays at Brands and answer questions from fellow curious/astonished participants while you're out on track.

• Like 1

You'll have to produce a manual of all the changes that have been made to the car so that I can study it before trackdays at Brands and answer questions from fellow curious/astonished participants while you're out on track.

I thought you just told them it's standard. ;)

• Like 4