Guide: Upgrading Columbus firmware and maps

AJ7788

• 2 weeks later...

Depends what you've got at the moment really. The latest maps are V12, and V13 are due out in November sometime.

ead9eae7d9ae67ca7449eae7b960ddbc.jpg

Not sure how to work out if that's v12?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All,

Firstly, a bit of background.

I've had issues with my Columbus over the past 6 months, with performance getting steadily worse.
First of all it would reset itself and reboot in German (or possibly Czech). Then progressively we lost
Navigation in Maxidot
Columbus functions from the steering wheel (track shift and volume)
Preset Radio station (the 6 on the screen would show as "Empty")
The list of available stations
Finally, all sound from the radio, cd, sd, HDD and phone
(at least the maps and navigation worked !!)

So, with nothing much to loose, I thought I should try a firmware upgrade, as VCDS showed no errors.
Here is the label from my Columbus (see attachment)

Here is what VCDS said (before upgrade)

Address 37: Navigation (J0506)       Labels: 1T0-035-680.clb
   Part No SW: 3T0 035 680     HW: 3T0 035 680
   Component: RNS-MID       H50 1404  
   Revision: AB001001    Serial number: SKZ6Z7M7109105
   Coding: 040004000004008300
   Shop #: WSC 22013 576 178912
   VCID: 6DD7F7F1B4EA8A49B59-8038

Address 56: Radio (J0506)       Labels: 1T0-035-680.clb
   Part No SW: 3T0 035 680     HW: 3T0 035 680
   Component: RNS-MID       H50 1404  
   Revision: AB001001    Serial number: SKZ6Z7M7109105
   Coding: 040004000004008300
   Shop #: WSC 22013 576 178912
   VCID: 6DD7F7F1B4EA8A49B59-8038

So, after much reading on here, (thanks to KBPhoto, Camberley_Chris, Adamal, Rustynuts and others) I upgraded to firmware 3980 specifically RNS_510_FW_3980_update.
Now I have a fully functioning Columbus, except for no POIs
I still have music on the HDD and Maps and now if I hold SYSTEM for 20 secs I get the extra info.
The maps I have are 6317 (if I remember correctly) and I want to update to V10 at least.
I have burnt a compressed V10 dowload onto a single layer DVD, but it did not install.
So, my questions are

Is my unit officially old?

I presume I can upgrade to 4020 for older units. What about 4120?

I presume I can't intall newer maps becasue my 30G HDD has not been repartitioned to 60/35/5 as I've still got maps and music?

How do I get the "secret" menu to allow me to downgrade firmware (if I install 4120 and it all goes wrong)?

Anyone got a version of V10, 11 or 12 maps I can borrow?

Thanks in advance

post-104045-0-07155100-1439741179_thumb.jpg

Yes, yours is an old unit.

IIRC 3980 has three partitions, it's just the POI & map partitions are not big enough on a 30Gb HDD for the latest maps (V.10 and beyond or earlier if speed cameras included).

If you upgraded to 3980 and you still have maps & music, then your unit was most likely upgraded previously to a version which had the three partitions. I'm not sure what you had, or why you've lost the Points Of Interest, or what you had previously regarding POI, but I would suggest loading on a version of maps which isn't butchered. The unit will accept or reject maps for any number of reasons and diagnosis is hard as to why without further info. Why did they fail to load?

I have been following these threads for a year and it seems that the general consensus is that after firmware 3984 there is not much to be gained other than Radio Text.

Car bought new May 2012

Columbus HW H61

SW version 3984

Maps ver 7690

I 'think' this makes the installed maps V8 (?).

There seem to be some price differences between car manufacturers using the RNS510 unit for update DVDs.

Does anyone know if either the VW or SEAT update disks will work to update the Skoda Columbus? It may be that they will have V13 (or equivalent) earlier than Skoda in November?

Thanks!

The disc cost will be the same across the brands. The only difference is whether or not each dealer is willing to discount the sale or not. Most don't. The discs will work across the board, but a Skoda unit will load Skoda specific POI and a VW unit will load VW specific POI.

V13 is due out in November, no one will get it before anyone else I'm afraid.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a rather disturbing development which you all should be aware of. Someone bought a "firmware update disc" off ebay and after then trying to update his unit ended up with a brick. He contacted the disc seller who informed him that the unit would need to be sent to him for repair at a fair old cost. However, he sent the unit to someone else who analysed the firmware disc and found it was deliberately (or accidentally) modified to produce an update error. Reinstalling factory software fixed the issue, but it's a cautionary tale for the rest of you folks.

Beware downloading and installing discs from unknown sources, as it can get messy and expensive.

• Like 3

This is a rather disturbing development which you all should be aware of. Someone bought a "firmware update disc" off ebay and after then trying to update his unit ended up with a brick. He contacted the disc seller who informed him that the unit would need to be sent to him for repair at a fair old cost. However, he sent the unit to someone else who analysed the firmware disc and found it was deliberately (or accidentally) modified to produce an update error. Reinstalling factory software fixed the issue, but it's a cautionary tale for the rest of you folks.

Beware downloading and installing discs from unknown sources, as it can get messy and expensive.

Yeah, and if he'd have sent it to him he would have probably never got it back.

On a side note, any news on when the new update is coming out?

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much to all the contributors in this thread. I've spent the last few nights trying to revive my unit from the boot loop that some have mentioned. Installing new firmware following the steps here seems to have fixed the problem. 

After burning 7 DVDs that ended up in the bin, used ImgBurn and it worked first time. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring this back from the dead guys.

I have a RNS510 version C

So I went here http://www.rnsfirmware.com/firmware-4020-for-older-european-rns510-units/

And put on firmware 4120....... Its in German! Grrrrrrr

Went in on VCDS (Legal) and its set to English, which from a bit of googling means the firmware was wrong. Anyone know what I can do bearing in mind Im already on firmware 4120 now with only a C revision unit? Do I have to downgrade in a special way?

Edited by Bikerz

I cant work out how in German even after lots of looking at pictures on google. I tried to update my maps thinking this c#would help and new it keeps bringing up SWL loading screen so need new firmware, but which one I dont know

Sorry

Unit whenever I switch on shows the start up screen with The System is nnot able to start up at the top and Pleas insert SWL-CD at bottom

This is from VCDS

Address 37: Navigation
Control Module Part Number: 1T0 035 680 C
  Component and/or Version: RNS-MID       H41 2720
           Software Coding: 040004020400009000
            Work Shop Code: WSC 01357
                      VCID: 2E58754D7997414EFF-807A

Advanced Identification
     Serial number: VWZ6Z7K9231013
     Identification: VD1----
     Revision: AB001001
     Date: 19.08.10
     Manufacturer number: 0005
     Test stand number: 0028
Flash Status
Misc.
     Hardware number: 1T0 035 680 C
     Workshop System Name: J0506
     Equipment/PR Code: 0000000000000000
VCDS Info:
       Labels: 1T0-035-680.CLB
Edited by Bikerz

2720 by the looks of things.

I'd download that and reinstall back to where you were. With a bit of luck you'll save the unit from major repair. When you try the downgrade it'll flag up a warning saying the version you're installing is older than the current version. At that point press and hold (all at the same time) "Setup, Eject, and Microphone buttons"  and it'll reboot and load the firmware.

Oki cheers. After that can I try a newer version? I want 7 digit postcode really more then anything else.

I presume My GTI is still a recomended place to get 2720 from?

Oki Im back to 2720 Firmware

Its still in German!!!! I go into setup and change language to English and it doesnt! It stays as Autoghi (or however you spell that top option)

I change it with VCDS in Navigation and still no different

Any ideas?