New Golf R

alex_e3

The Merc's in a totally different league at that price level, it's hardly competition for a Golf

Price and Performance different league more like.... Hairy chested V8 - Yes please!

I don't think the golf 2.0 will be at competition with the C63. 0-60 dash yes but in most other ways its not what I think will be true competitors. it is a very small market but im sure will do ok. £40k for a golf in my eyes is madness but in many others it wont.

Totally agree with the general view of quality, awesome power etc.

How about practicality /useable space, as well as power, which also defines the estate I might suggest.( check stats)Bang for your buck?

My various comparison where related to top, middle and bottom of this size and market place. Choice.

In short Golf R 23% more useable space, back seats up - down 8% more space.

0-62 Golf R 5.1 sec(300 PS) compared to  4.2 for C63 AMG.(475PS.)

Price mid spec Golf R £35K  - C63 £61K in lowest spec form.

For those counting the pence:

Fuel consumption Golf R combined 40.4 mpg (?) C63 COMBINED 33 MPG(?)

Perhaps on my operating (controlled )budget, I'm a little biased!

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/golf-estate-vii/which-model/brochures

http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/passengercars/home/new_cars/amg_showroom/c_63_amg_estate/c63_amg_estate/facts/technical_data.html

Edited by vrskeith

Keith, even I have got the point where after 60+ pages am beginning to wonder if you're employed somehow by vw UK?

Can't pull the wool over your keen eyes stever750 - exposed at last!

However I can't steak a claim for the 20 pages of rubbish and banter cross chat, that has padded out this topic.

It's unfortunate ,that the instigator of the topic( see above alex_e3) hasn't helped with the maintenance and good housekeeping.

However ,as you can see likes to take the plaudits for creating the "monster".

Don't deny the golf R is in a bracket if you need space and still want a 5 second car it's s great choice. But my only point most people don't need both it will suit some but not a huge market at that price

For me in that range if I needed the above it would be one of my short list for sure

• Like 1

What monster of a thread did I create.... ;)

Have you ever thought of renaming it 'vrskeith's Golf R thread' since he took it over? :)

357 posts out of 1884 suggests that

• Like 2

Have you ever thought of renaming it 'vrskeith's Golf R thread' since he took it over? :)

357 posts out of 1884 suggests that

The thread does remind me of the film Live Die Repeat. Kept going by the skin of its teeth with a few old tests and fanboi views. I do like the car and will probably end up getting one though mainly because of the mega deal available to me. A friend is picking up an RS6 imminently, I'm more excited about having a hoon in that whilst its still in one piece.. Another is getting a Focus RS which will be nice.

Anyhow all the best to Keith and his love of all things R.

IBTL lol

• Like 1

steak-clain-sweet-potato-21092011.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/chefs/rick_stein

More of a Rick Stein kind of guy, unfortunately I didn't go to Oxford to study English.

That's the problem when you do a degree in Automotive / Aerospace Enginerin

Edited by vrskeith

Can't pull the wool over your keen eyes stever750 - exposed at last!

However I can't steak a claim for the 20 pages of rubbish and banter cross chat, that has padded out this topic.

So what do you do for a living then?

• Like 1

Also can someone tell me how a Golf R estate is a claimed £40,000 when the hatch is about £10,000 cheaper.

Confused.

And the Merc AMG45 is a tier above the Golf R.

It's Audi RS3 territory.

If you are interested in comparing spec sheets, most people will use them in the road and never build up the courage to track them, so arguably they are all pretty similar. :)

• Like 1

Ho ho.

I'll just assume you work at a VW franchise then.

No I was just taking the P out of stever.

I'm a Manufacturing Engineering Consultant, both in Automotive and Aerospace. 

• Like 1

I'm a Manufacturing Engineering Consultant, both in Automotive and Aerospace.

Jobbing grease monkey then, no shame in that, I'm a nurse.

• Like 3

2014 model with only 3621 miles on the clock, only £27490

http://www.motors.co.uk/car-37413175/sp

http://usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk/Golf-GTI/GTD/R/2.0-TSI-R-300-PS/Chester/3853633-604896407-123201.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

Similar price /spec in blue.

Look forward to you getting yours soon? lol

Edited by vrskeith

I'm a Manufacturing Engineering Consultant, both in Automotive and Aerospace.

I'm just an automotive sales rep, and you engineering types make life way too complicated ;)

Also can someone tell me how a Golf R estate is a claimed £40,000 when the hatch is about £10,000 cheaper.

Confused.

And the Merc AMG45 is a tier above the Golf R.

It's Audi RS3 territory.

If you are interested in comparing spec sheets, most people will use them in the road and never build up the courage to track them, so arguably they are all pretty similar. :)

Spec'd up using the VW Configurator.

Edited by vrskeith

I'm just an automotive sales rep, and you engineering types make life way too complicated ;)

Just Quality and Eye for detail mate ( except spelling). Sales guys can't identify with that

• Like 1