Show your Octavia III Dashcam setups

Sorry, catching up with this thread so may have missed the answer to my question. I like the look (and price!) of the Mini 0801 dashcam but there have been problems reported with it affecting DAB radio reception. Is this still the case with the Amundsen MIB2 fitted in the Mk3 Octavia? If so which other dashcams would peeps recommend which don't interfere?

Ta much.

My Nextbase 402G, hard wired into Fuse 47.

000.jpg

_MG_0360-Edit.png

_MG_0357-Edit.png

_MG_0367-Edit.png

I covered all the livery with black electrical tape so it wasn't as noticeable from the outside and glued a circular polariser filter to the front to improve image quality. No interference with DAB reception and mounted to the etched part of the windscreen without any problems.

• Like 2

I moved to nextbase after a mio MiVue (poor quality video on the model I had), a mini 0806 (good video but very badly made, lasted a month) and now I'm on the 512g. Its impressive but the mounts not as good as the mini, would prefer something shorter and easier to detatch. The 512 does have a built in cpl filter though so no more dashboard reflections!

Edited by ExSEAT

I moved to nextbase after a transcend (poor quality video on the model I had), a mini 0806 (good video but very badly made, lasted a month) and now I'm on the 512g. Its impressive but the mounts not as good as the mini, would prefer something shorter and easier to detatch. The 512 does have a built in cpl filter though so no more dashboard reflections!

Which model did you have? I've got the DP200 and its a great little cam

Which model did you have? I've got the DP200 and its a great little cam

I've just checked and I'm talking rubbish. It was a mio mivue. How could I have been that far off the mark???!?!? I'm losing the plot! Will edit my post!

Sorry, catching up with this thread so may have missed the answer to my question. I like the look (and price!) of the Mini 0801 dashcam but there have been problems reported with it affecting DAB radio reception. Is this still the case with the Amundsen MIB2 fitted in the Mk3 Octavia? If so which other dashcams would peeps recommend which don't interfere?

Ta much.

I have a mini 806 and have had for about 18 months now.

No real issues and decent image for low price, only small niggle is occasionally the sd card needs a manual wipe even though its set to auto overwrite.

I chose this due to it's small size and wanting as discrete a solution as possible.

Edited by Mr Grump
  • Like 2

My Nextbase 402G, hard wired into Fuse 47.

000.jpg

_MG_0360-Edit.png

_MG_0357-Edit.png

_MG_0367-Edit.png

I covered all the livery with black electrical tape so it wasn't as noticeable from the outside and glued a circular polariser filter to the front to improve image quality. No interference with DAB reception and mounted to the etched part of the windscreen without any problems.

The new 212 lite NextBase Mag mounts with integrated power  must have a very bad suction. There was no way mine would stick on the Etched section of the window without help i.e. a couple of Rear Mirror sticky pads.

I've also stuck Insulating tape over the silver bits on the cam so it's not so noticable from the front.

IMG_4140_zpsqnckkhdo.jpg[/url]

IMG_4139_zpsumanzkrf.jpg

I
Edited by davitc

Just found my Mobius fitted in July 14 stopped recording in December 15 - I just left it in the car and forgot it was there. Hopefully just a dead battery. Shame as I did a few sighting laps of Donnington in the VRS and thought I was recording.

So Mobius users - check power light is on.

I fed the cable into the horizontal join in the trim at the top of the A pillar, then down under the outside edge -  the door seal. Then into the side of the dash, having removed the roughly triangular plastic cover. Plenty of space in there for adapters, sockets, cable etc., I've got a three-socket adapter in there for front and rear cameras and the TomTom satnav.

(Just a reminder, eleven pages into this thread. There is a post earlier in this section, with photos, showing the fitting of the power feed on a Golf from the fusebox through under the dash, and the procedure is very similar on the Octavia.)

This is what I was planning to do but was advised by the guy fitting my tracker not to do it like this because of the curtain airbags, he advised all cables should go inside the trim and be careful not to cross the airbag as if you do in the event of a deployment it will pull the cam off the screen and smack you in the face.

Im looking for advise on doing mine and ajw1100 came to the rescue with this idea, so i will have a look into this way.

Thanks

I wondered about the A pillar route for the USB lead, I tried and failed to dislodge the trim from it position so could only poke it in along side the door rubbers. Then realised it was a Curtain airbag that looked like it was one piece from the bottom of the A pillar across the top of the doors according to the sales brochure.

I did not want to run the risk of the USB lead fouling the airbag as it could quite easily do. After much head scratching and poking around (Not in the A pillar!) I found I could get the lead across the head lining and down the leading edge of the A pillar trim where there is a gap between it and the screen. I also found I could thread the lead down under the bottom front edge of the A pillar where it meets the dash and through to the area behind the side panel where I have attached my voltage dropper.

I would like to remove the A pillar trim to see if there is a better/safer way to run the lead without interfering with the airbag but can I get the trim to release? No. I have pulled it, poked it;  got cut and squashed fingers but it still won't let go! If seems its held in place by two 'tongues'  that need to be released then slide the trim up, but it's difficult to see inside.

My setup. Front cam powered from USB slot rear from front cig socket. Would use the rear one but the dog lives in that space and he is "chewey"

I'm looking at separate front and rear dash cams (probably nextbase) and am wondering how I can get power to the rear one (not sure if there is a power socket in the rear) - how did you do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking at separate front and rear dash cams (probably nextbase) and am wondering how I can get power to the rear one (not sure if there is a power socket in the rear) - how did you do it?

Er, if you open the hatch you'll see the power socket...

But some have fed the cable tucked inside the top headlining (allow some slack - not much - for hatch to open and not stretch the cable), down inside the pillar trim, down inside the seat trim, along the inside sill trim, then up into the empty space behind the light switch area. Cables are usually long and thin enough to reach from the rear.

Lots of posts on here about taking a live feed from the fusebox. I use a multi-socket extension to provide power for both cameras and TomTom mounted at bottom right corner of screen. Multi-socket can be grounded at several points in this space. All tidied up with cable ties.

• Like 1

It's amazing what you capture on a dashcam. I've only had mine since March and already witnessed two accidents and supplied my footage to both parties insurers. One accident was the fault of a BMW driver pulling out at a junction and not looking. The poor old boy who was not at fault was being shouted at by the BMW driver until I pointed out I had a dashcam and he was welcome to view it.

I used an auto electrician in install mine, don't fancy messing with electrics

Anyone else using the Koonlung K1S?

I have it currently set up in my Focus and will transfer it over to my Superb when it arrives. 

Without the car infront of me it's hard to picture, but I want to find a better way to fix the two cameras than the sticky pads on glass, as a) they keep coming unstuck B) the lens is then so close to the glass it causes lots of reflections.

I want to find a way to mount them a short distance from the glass but keep them as discreet as they currently are.

• Like 1

Anyone else using the Koonlung K1S?

I have it currently set up in my Focus and will transfer it over to my Superb when it arrives.

Without the car infront of me it's hard to picture, but I want to find a better way to fix the two cameras than the sticky pads on glass, as a) they keep coming unstuck B) the lens is then so close to the glass it causes lots of reflections.

I want to find a way to mount them a short distance from the glass but keep them as discreet as they currently are.

Just an FYI you can find replacement sticky mounts on the bay of e for the K1S, as for the other questions I have no idea!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk