£1 per litre

James I

On 11/04/2022 at 08:51, mac11irl said:

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0411/1291571-truck-driver-protest/

well thats gonna be causing chaos...

but at least they waited until school easter holidays...

Ireland cut their fuel excise duty by 15 cents on Diesel and 20 cents on Petrol but it sounds like fuel stations did  on pass on the full cut.

Both in the UK and Ireland the governments have been gullible believing businesses would pass the cut on quickly and wholly.

I can see a summer of discontent all over Europe on Cost of Living Crisis.   

Come Autumn and Winter it will get much worse.  

• Like 1

no, the prices dropped at midnight as required when the excise rate cut started. 

the prices in a lot of places had gone UP by 15-20c/litre the day before the cut was due to start, but the cuts were made when legally required...

• Sad 2

the really irritating side of ut though, apart from the obvious price gouging, was how so many filling station owners were literally upping the price at the pump by the hour, but then were on radio interviews saying "we can only adjust the prices based on our purchase price when we get our deliveries". several deliveries a day my arse..

and then when oil prices start coming down - the same story of "we still have Y litres of fuel at this higher price in the tanks, so cant reduce the price until our next deliveries, and all the other fuel has gone out of the tanks"... funny how that works.... lying bas$&#&s.

Edited by mac11irl
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Something that I had not expected, but should have considered, is some fuel stations are suppressing their listed prices in PetrolPrices app, I discovered that when filling up near Faversham, the Esso one!

Now I just downloaded PetrolPrices app a long time ago really just so that I could find my "preferred" petrol brand of filling station when away from home, but you can also use it to check up on the current prices on the pumps, and maybe chose the cheaper one still on your route, and also it has travel directions built into it, so also handy when away from home.

I checked up on the price of fuels at that Dunkirk Esso filling station and found that it was a reasonable price and on my route, price was last checked 24 hours earlier, when I got to the pump the prices were at least 15p dearer than on that app, so I just filled up and a few hours later updated the pricing on the PetrolPrice app - as users are encouraged to do. The prices were revised, but next morning when I checked as I was 300 miles away and again needing to refuel, that Dunkirk filling station's prices were again down to the previously shown prices. So I updated them again and so they remained at the new level.  So it looks a lot like so naughty filling station operators are aware that higher (relative) pricing can affect footfall, so check their prices in some of these "fuelling apps" and push them back down to bring business back in.

Edited by rum4mo
Spelling!!!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

No idea they got the nonsense that keeps getting repeated from when 5 pence was taken off fuel duty.

They, Government and media says that would save the average car driver £100 a year and an average van driver £200. 

20 litres @ 5 pence saving £1.00.  

200 liters @ 5 pence saving £10.00

2,000 litres @ 5 pence saving £100.00.     

2,000 litres is 440 gallons & getting 44 mpg  would be 19,360 miles a year that these 'Average drivers'would do to save £100. 

Maybe the average car drivers doing 9,680 miles a year only get 22 mpg. 

Probably the treasury are doing calculations knowing there are too many gas guzzlers about in the UK that are Average Family Cars or ones benefiting as being for Business use. . 

https://hypermiler.co.uk/hypermiling/hypermiling-techniques

Edited by roottoot

I can remember going to a petrol station with my uncle who was filling with petrol before a holiday in Cornwall - for £1 he bought 4 gallons of regular petrol and a Mars bar for me!

It was about 55 years ago 😍

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

I can remember going to a petrol station with my uncle who was filling with petrol before a holiday in Cornwall - for £1 he bought 4 gallons of regular petrol and a Mars bar for me!

It was about 55 years ago 😍

Dont think you can get a mars bar for a quid now haha ,just done cornwall and back this week in vrs wagon tsi ,that added a few extra quid to our holiday at £1,89 a litre ,but like i tell the missis petrol is still alot cheaper than beer or gin in her case 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

I can similarly remember my Dad saying not to worry, as the gubbermint wouldn't let petrol go past £1 a gallon as it'd be political suicide.  Probably around 1980 when I started driving.

G

mid 90's i remember during the summer being given a tenner to cycle the 2.5miles to the village with a 2 gallon jerrycan to get petrol for the lawn mowers. 

down to the village. fill the jerrycan at about 75p a litre at the petrol station then across the road the shop. bumy myself stuff with whatever was left over in the change. and cycle home with pockets full of sugar junk for me and my sister, and 10litres of petrol hangin off the handle bars.. 

those were the days.  ..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roottoot said:

There must still be places in Ireland where you can get the fuel with no tax or duty paid.

Especially diesel. 

the diesel washing was generally a border counties area issue. though the bigger operations did move the "white" product around the country a fair bit. 

you know, the type of operations with a massive farm machinery "business" and farm land that straddles the "border" in several places to make it easy move side to side.

its pretty much stopped  now though since they started using the radioactive marker in the fuel. its allegedly impossible to remove, and the profit margin was reducing. im sure if you know the right dodgy lad you can still get it though...

• Like 1

I've actually worked out how much it's now costing me to drive to work ( plus if I work some days from home) with current prices (using 45mpg as the basis).

I knew it was expensive, but never actually realised how expensive it's become. Hopefully I can start working from home a couple days a week once my probationary period is over.

5 Days  4 Days 3 Days
Miles per week* 261 208.8 156.6
Gallons of fuel used 5.80 4.64 3.48
Petrol Prices (litre)** £1.81 £1.81 £1.81
Price per Gallon £8.23 £8.23 £8.23
Fuel a week £47.72 £38.18 £28.63
Bridge Tolls*** £18.00 £14.40 £10.80
Total Cost a week £65.72 £52.58 £39.43
Total Cost a Month £251.95 £201.56 £151.17
Yearly total £3,023.34 £2,418.67 £1,814.01

*26.1 miles per trip via Runcorn Bridge        
**St Helens Average fuel price via https://petrolmap.co.uk/petrol-prices/merseyside/st-helens
***Toll of £1.80 per trip        
Edited by WolfyWesty

Our very ancient Mazda MX-5 apparently requires E5 petrol.  We don't use it much but nevertheless I had to top it up at the local BP place yesterday. E5 'Ultimate' now £2 per litre (less 0.1 pence). Thirty quid for 15.01 litres.  The little village garage sells reasonably priced petrol but they only have E10.

On 19/06/2022 at 12:56, Gaz said:

I can similarly remember my Dad saying not to worry, as the gubbermint wouldn't let petrol go past £1 a gallon as it'd be political suicide.  Probably around 1980 when I started driving.

G

Some of us also thought that petrol stations would not be able to set their pumps to anything over 99.9 pence!

• Like 1