Moments of joy in your day today

mender

43 minutes ago, @Lee said:

Figure out if there's any of the settings you can change on your car/ scan for faults etc and get a 1 month subscription first. An ongoing subscription isn't worth it IMO unless you use it regularly. 

Same here - I purchased a months subscription to make some changes to our Kodiaq and so I could change them back if I didn't like them but since then I've not renewed it.  In terms of dongle I just used an ELM327 I had to hand with no issues and still use it with other apps for occasional checks.

• Like 3

On 21/09/2023 at 12:38, AnnoyingPentium said:

So, as the Focus is going to it's new home tomorrow and there is a space on the driveway, I've done a stupid.

Waiting for a call back on something now... :D

Deposit placed. Oh no...

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, @Lee said:

Spill the beans for crying out loud. Not sure how much suspense I can handle tbh 🤣

It's not another Focus, you'll be glad to know. It even runs, and comes with MOT! :D

All I'm saying is it's non-Skoda and very 1990s, but the Fabia is still staying. This is coming in as a temporary runner as I fix the Fabia, with a view to staying as a bit of a show type thing.

Oh yeah, and Clarkson hates it. :tongueout:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

It's not another Focus, you'll be glad to know. It even runs, and comes with MOT! :D

All I'm saying is it's non-Skoda and very 1990s, but the Fabia is still staying. This is coming in as a temporary runner as I fix the Fabia, with a view to staying as a bit of a show type thing.

Oh yeah, and Clarkson hates it. :tongueout:

What, a Morris Marina? 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had the last version of the Cavalier, terrible car that was as well. A few years ago, I had an new Insignia loan car while mine was being serviced, it was a really low miler I think it only had 700 miles on it. That the centre console would not stop creaking really loudly, even on the straight and level it creaked, horrible build quality.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

It's a 1999 Vauxhall Vectra B (pre-facelift).

My Son had a 1998 Vectra GSI.   He loved it as his first 'big' car, and called it Vince.  To be fair it was nice inside, Recaro seats IIRC.  Didn't creak like the one Graham ^^ had, but I seem to remember it getting through rear suspension arms, which weren't great quality :shake:

Have fun with it!

Gaz

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Paws4Thot said:

Clonkson isn't the only one. @mac11irl and I feel similarly about them too.

mm.... i dont hate Vectras. i hate Inshi7nias, and i dislike corsas because they have awful gearboxes in my experience.

but ive only driven a couple of Vectra Cs and didnt find them too disgusting... though the eml was on along with a couple of other warning lights  :D

On 26/09/2023 at 22:27, AnnoyingPentium said:

Nah, I might have a thing for absolute scrap on wheels but even I wouldn't do that to myself.

Instead, I may as well spill. It's a 1999 Vauxhall Vectra B (pre-facelift). Been talking about buying one for ages, so when a non-rotten low mileage one came up, it just had me written all over it. :)

Is this the estate Im sure I saw somwhere over on AS??

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, robt100 said:

Is this the estate Im sure I saw somwhere over on AS??

Nope. That was the one I wanted but the woman at my insurance company laughed at the quotes before telling me them. Instead I opted for a hatchback one, 1.8 petrol. I'm getting £32 back from my insurers since I'm changing to it from the Fabia... go figure. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

how does that work? over here you get penalised for having an older car these days as "there are less safety features"..

i really think they just make the quotes up tbh..

I guess I must have picked the right car out of the random hat... it's all strange.

I'm also the same person who was quoted £500 for a Daewoo Leganza in my first year of driving... was quite impressive considering how rare they are. :D

53 minutes ago, StevesTruck said:

I had one of those briefly as an utter bangernomics car. Considering the state it was in, it was quite a nice drive. 

I remember going down the South East in an utter monsoon, went over Dartford, stopped at the booth, touched the electric window switch and the window glass dropped like a stone into the door never to be seen again. Both my and the bloke in the toll booth were laughing that hard I couldn't be annoyed. He asked what I was going to do:

"Get a bit F-----g wet by the looks of it" 😅

That happened to me once when I had a Carlton - took the door card off and propped up the glass with a block of wood.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

That happened to me once when I had a Carlton - took the door card off and propped up the glass with a block of wood.

Me too vauxhall cavalier 2.0 gls 😂

3 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Oh yeah... this is what I bought.

20231003_121114.thumb.jpg.e623e410aef084ac674fca95669f0a63.jpg

Smooth as a hot knife through butter, pretty rapid too if you keep the revs up. Well happy. :)

That's like the one I drove; steering feel like you have nerve blocks in both arms.

32 minutes ago, Paws4Thot said:

That's like the one I drove; steering feel like you have nerve blocks in both arms.

It's quite an easy car to drive. Less involving than the Skoda and definitely more laid back. It's ideal for motorway work, as were the competing rep-mobiles of their time really. :)

Got a soft spot for my MK3 Cav, was a very young low miler that clocked up the miles when I had to do longer trips. Only time it let me down when it ate a distributer cap and stranded me on a narrow road and caused tailbacks. Certainly nicer than my MK2, complete wreck. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

It's quite an easy car to drive. Less involving than the Skoda and definitely more laid back. It's ideal for motorway work, as were the competing rep-mobiles of their time really. :)

What I liked about those old cars, was that everything was controlled with knobs and switches and or levers so everything on the car could be controlled without ever taking your eyes of the road  once you learned where everything was, so much safer than cars of today. That said, of course, today's cars do have far safer safety systems, ABS. ESC, etc. I'd love to see things revert to more knobs and switches.

• Like 3