Skoda Emissions

In the US only 9 of the 50 states even test emmisions so it doesnt even effect most of the country lol.

As far as I'm aware its only California that has the stricter emmisions that certain 1.6tdi and pos a few 2.0 tdi common rail engines wont pass without a recall (detune)..

Seems abit rich for a country like America with all its smoke pooring tuned diesel trucks in 41 out of 50 states to kick off about VW trying to cheat the California emmisions regs.. especially when the engines were designed to and do pass EU5

• Like 1

I'll be keeping mine for the long-haul and running it into the ground so won't be taking mine in - no interest in a trade-in value so see very little point.

• Like 1

Its got to effect power output surely or delivery? Not in a positive way if its bringing emissions down

It won't make any difference in normal driving. The defeat device only makes the car run lean under emission testing conditions. The UK MOT only has a smoke test and is unlikely to have a dynamometer based emission test for many years.

No, the defeat device makes the car run in a non-compliant calibration all the time except when it's being tested. So removing the defeat device would make it run in compliant - test mode - all the time.

• Like 1

I agree with Wino, we will get permanent limp mode.

I just booked an appointment with the remapper, who said that until now, he have not had to re-open the ECO tin to re-write a tuning map after updating by Skoda had erased it, since the ECU remained in unlocked state, allowing writing through the OBD-port.

Of course, he couldn't guarantee that the future castration would leave the ECU in unlocked state.

Edited by Tranberg

Mine is affected (VRS CR 2012). I had it valued mid June and I have just had same done again as thinking of changing. The drop in 2.5 months---- £1550. Could some of that stella fall be down to this issue???

Yes the emissions scandal as a whole is 100% the reason for the larger drop in value...

Wierd how my 2.0 CR 170 mk2 octy vrs isnt affected and yours is.. mine is the CEGA engine code.. might be due to age? Mine was registered 2009 but built 2008. I can't see a slightly older version of the same engine producing less emissions..

Edited by mattvrestate

Will skoda give me any compensation due to the fact i was unwittingly driving round in a car that was killing squirrels and polar bears for a couple of years? After all i might have deliberately bought the car due to its low emissions and now i might feel upset, violated and cheated.

After all i might have deliberately bought the car due to its low emissions and now i might feel upset, violated and cheated.

Did you REALLY buy the car just because of low emissions? I find that hard to believe ;) Usually people think about how the car looks, about fuel consumption, taxes, selling value after some years etc. but actually nobody cares about nitrogen oxides (unless it affects taxes). Probably the biggest part aren't even aware of such thing as nitrogen oxides.

Theoretically if you wan't to profit from this then you can go to court because you got some point but do you wan't that? It's VAG with skilled lawyers and this might be a very hard thing...

Edited by Jevpls

Did you REALLY buy the car just because of low emissions? I find that hard to believe ;) Usually people think about how the car looks, about fuel consumption, taxes, selling value after some years etc. but actually nobody cares about nitrogen oxides (unless it affects taxes). Probably the biggest part aren't even aware of such thing as nitrogen oxides.

Theoretically if you wan't to profit from this then you can go to court because you got some point but do you wan't that? It's VAG with skilled lawyers and this might be a very hard thing...

But, but, but those poor polar bears.

I am so upset by this, I will never trust anyone ever again.

I think the Nox put out by my car might have killed a few daffodils in my front garden, can i sue for that?

• Like 1

It only affects the common rail engines, since VW never claimed so low emissions for the PD's, which can go on polluting as they always have, while the inherently cleaner CR's need to be castrated to reach the claimed low emissions.

I should have bought the 2.0 PD standing next to my 1.6 CR TDI

Just been on the Skoda site and found my VRS Blackline is affected. Wonder what comes next. Compensation? New car? Time will tell. Told them I will accept a new VRS 230.

Edited by technician25

All they'll do in the UK is flash a new ECU software on to rid of the defeat device software. Its almost certainly not going to affect drivability/efficiency....if it did they'd be faced with even more problems from the disgruntled general public.

In the US they'll get hit harder as their non compliant cars will almost certainly have to have SCR retrofitted and software adjustments in order to come anywhere near meeting their far stricter NOx test standard.

Theirs is 31mg/km and has been for a good few years....EU5 dictated nothing higher than 180mg....so we were legally allowed to emit circa 6 times more NOx in Europe than they can there. I doubt v much the EA189 without SCR in affected cars in EU under lab conditions outputs more than 180mg without the cheat software.

Naturally US has a far greater population, far more cars, many FAR less efficient than we have here due to their ridiculously low fuel prices and penchant for V8 petrols....a culture weve not seen for many years.

The problem will be contained and VW will recover from it...the real fallout from this will be the lack of real world testing for current EU standards and a change to how newer cars are tested to meet standards....in other words they'll strap the test kit to cars....take them on the road for several thou K and they'll pass or fail on that basis....not just sat on a dyno at set revs in a set gear for a handful of minutes.

There are way too many unknowns about this for me to start worrying just yet. Even more so when you factor in a remap (Revo, in my case). I'm sitting tight until the picture is clearer, until Revo and others know the impact and have an answer and until any legal / legislative implication is understood, e.g. MOT's, warranty etc.

In other words, I'm pleading ignorance and letting others work it out :)

• Like 1

No PDs are affected and not all CR are affected. Whether the recall is an engine update or an engine update and AD Blue retro-fit (highly unlikely).. If your car is remapped then it will wipe it clean so obviously no one will be getting it done if the car is mapped.

There is no existing law saying you have to have any manufacturers recall carried out. Also all the affected cars will pass Euro Emmisions with or without the cheat software so there will be nothing stopping the car getting through an MOT with or without the software.

So there is nothing to worry about. Just like any recall if you want it doing then you can get it done free by VW.. if you don't then don't...

Edited by mattvrestate
  • Like 1