What did you do to your Skoda today pt2

chrisgreen

1 minute ago, mikeholroyd said:

Drove the TSI 50 miles to see Rustynuts, bought and fitted a new DAB Columbus, then drove it straight to my works garage to get it under cover to change the existing sharkfin aerial for a new DAB one.

The smiled when I found that the aerial fitted was already DAB compatible, so only needed a cable running from the aerial to the head unit.

Mike

I've made the journey to do that too.

Forgot to post when i did it but......

Installed the variable boot floor in the Citigo last weekend which took all of 5 minutes...... Whilst i was at it i tried to replace the boot light bulb with an LED replacement but the LED is slightly too large to fit in the holder!!!! And then further bad luck with bulbs when i went to replace the front indicators with a pair of SilverVision bulbs that had been in the vRS till it went to it's new home. Managed to swap the passenger side bulb but couldn't even undo the driver side one so had to revert back to standard there too. :angry:

Turns out it's a case of undoing the securing bolts for the headlight assembly and easing it forwards to get properly at the indicators.

Got it MOT'd this morning on my way to work. (Usual) fella comes into the office shaking his head slightly and says "I've been round it 3 times and I still can't find anything wrong with it. Good little car that!" :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just gave it the 'yearly' service. Used a Bosch fuel filter for the first time (UFI system) and as far as the seal for the lid goes it has been the best I have used so far. Usually the lid wont push back down to seal and has to be pulled in by tightening the screws back up (a little at a time and in a triangular pattern to keep the lid straight). This time though it went back on flush to the body very easily,in fact on start up I was expecting it to leak it was that easy a fit. Perfectly fine though.

Just been doing a few jobs on our Fabia 2 1.9 tdi pd over the last couple of days,routine servicing seems fairly easy so far.

My last car was a 306 1.9 TD - which for routine  servicing was really easy :)

2 screws and Air Filter done (our other car is a Polo 1.4 16v - 18 screws to change air filter - howz that for bad design ?)

Fuel filter was also easy (I used a Manns filter as easy to get locally!) - I remember a similar filter on my old Golf or Leon 1.9 tdi (had both some years ago) but it was much more difficult to physically remove the body - although the top conns were similar !

I borrowed some ramps to do oil/filter change based on a good forecast for wednesday LOL,ended up doing the job in fits and starts between heavy rain downpours,bloody weather guessers :D 

Just got to put a decent radio in now and the car will be ready for action ( cr@ppy Dance radio fitted when bought)

Felicia blew the first light bulb since I bought it eight and three quarter years ago! in the form of the n/s headlamp. So I replaced both for some lovely Osram Nightbreakers. Strangely I believe the bulbs were still the original bulbs. I also swapped the wheels front to rear to even out the wear.

Gave her a much needed wash now that spring is almost here - first try out of Trolls Breath and Snow Foam. TB worked fine, interesting shade of purple (it lives up to its name too) But a little disappointed with the Snow Foam, although that might be down to the "El Cheapo" lance I bought on Amazon - it just didn't seem to lather up anything as much as I was expecting and left a lot of the road film behind. Oh well, out with the hand wash tomorrow. 

18 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Left it at home and took the Eunos. It was sunny, after all :emoticon-0157-sun:

Git - mines in the garage still SORN'd

• Like 1

There was a decent Sat here at the start of March, so took mine off SORN then! Was pretty sure I'd want to use it at some point in March, so might as well get a full month of tax out of it.

Bloody brilliant how it's instant with the online DVLA process :thumbup:

Replaced the pesky parcel shelf plastic hinge/clips :)

Got a repair kit from Silbury Skoda on ebay for less than £9.00 posted (so genuine skoda parts)

4 part kit which just clips over the parcel shelf after removing the old bits.

Updated design so hopefully will last longer !

Stared and cussed at it, considered setting the ****** thing on fire. Decided against it.

...it wouldn't bloody burn. Too wet.

Don't you just love problems you can't figure out, when nobody (EDIT: nobody nearby, that is. Every sod at work thinks they're a comedian, but they've all got the exact same two lines.) can/is willing to help. :swear: (I would post for help in the Classic Skoda forum, but it'll only get me a shouting at from the Lord Almighty of Classic Skodas, because I didn't fix it with the power of my mind, in the freezing dark. :rolleyes:)

Edited by Tamber
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Warrior193 said:

With enough fuel anything will burn.

That's the problem, though! :D It's not delivering enough fuel, just going full lean (pegging the gauge at 22.4), and then falling on its face. (Now I've calmed down from being cold and wet, I've added some more things to my list to check. Hoping it now turns out to be either a dying fuel pump relay, or bad contacts in that awkward little fusebox.)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tamber said:

That's the problem, though! :D It's not delivering enough fuel, just going full lean (pegging the gauge at 22.4), and then falling on its face. (Now I've calmed down from being cold and wet, I've added some more things to my list to check. Hoping it now turns out to be either a dying fuel pump relay, or bad contacts in that awkward little fusebox.)

Good luck in finding the fault.

9 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

Good luck in finding the fault.

Surprised that it didn't at least show a spark of life with the EZ start. I presume that the ignition timing checks out ok - although it would have to be a mile out for no life at all.

On 18/03/2017 at 11:44, Warrior193 said:

Surprised that it didn't at least show a spark of life with the EZ start. I presume that the ignition timing checks out ok - although it would have to be a mile out for no life at all.

This running lean situation appears to be a different problem to my earlier no-start. The no-start seems to have turned out to be excessive resistance in the spark-plug leads (that lead to excessive erosion at the terminals inside the dizzy cap, I guess, since they looked a bit melted.); sorted that, then a few weeks after that, started having it losing power and running lean. I figured it'd be a melted cat due to all the unburnt fuel. Nope, that'd be too easy. :biggrin:

So, a few days ago, my "what did I do" was to swap the fuel pump relay (The original one -- and it really did look like it was the original one from 1994! -- came apart as I pulled it apart; and the internal switch contacts were discoloured from heat and showed signs of arc damage.), which seemed to improve things significantly. (Though it hasn't cured it entirely)

I'm just about to go wield contact-cleaner with extreme prejudice. :D

• Like 1

Washed them both and took the winter wheels off the Yeti... thanks Caffyns for doing the wheel bolts up with a nut gun which in turn meant the locking wheel bolt socket snapped, it took an 18” breaker bar to finally crack all 20 bolts... muppets :mad: