Breaking VW Emissions Scandal -Mk I

Ryeman

The Country is sinking under the weight of Used cars, and many of the older ones are less polution 

Natural laws of supply and demand don't seem to be working then coz used cars seem bleedin expensive to me :peek:

This is the tip of the Iceberg,  live road tests as many have stated hardly any cars achieve anything like the claimed figures & a lot are many many times over & in time it will become apparent other manufacturers have tweaked things.

Other companies will be quietly "pooping themselves" as VAG cant be the only ones at it & people need to take a realistic view of that. How many have stood up & said "we don't cheat" Its all very quiet from others

Ive heard rumours another German manufacturer is now reloading software to every car through their telematics systems...., probably just another rumour

We all need to take a balanced view & that will take time , we need to wait for all the facts

Being realistic if we all want our money back or all want to sue then VAG will fold, then our cars will be worth didly squat & getting spares will be a nightmare

USA get a different set of engines, compared to the rest of the world.....literally.

VW makes two kinds of engine, for every variant:-

1. NA = North America

2. ROW = Rest Of the World

So for the 2.0L TSI variant for example:-

1. NA = CCTA

2. ROW = CCZA 

hence i think the "cheating" element only affects US specific engines, that don't meet US emissions.

the rest of the world, should be safe :)

http://phys.org/news/2015-04-discovery-breakthrough-hydrogen-cars.html

With the U.S. holding the patents on that recent breakthrough and similar, one might just elicit a motivation for the "Johnny Come lately" awakening by the US authorities and the possible future economic exploitation of  differences between US/European legislative standards (Using the facility of the TTIP). No doubt the Yanks will have the partners at the other end of their long-standing currency deal doing the manufacturing (One of the many reasons GO is keen for improved UK access to the Chinese stockmarket ?),

Lets hope they ally that to a move to subtsantially reduce vehicle kerb weights by improved design and materials.

Re-iterating a previous posters point, its interesting to note that, had this  event not occurred, European Governments and Car manufacturers. in full knowledge of all the deleterious health effects, would have been more than content for the European citizens to "Eat" Nox @ 80 mg a kilometre  (2.5 times the US maxima) and carbon particulate matter to match -something which the TV news were saying can be cured by spending an extra £200, at time of manufacture, on the exhaust system.

So, I fully expect the prospect of reduced downtime in the HM Govt pollution sensors in North-West London ? - remembering that London is now officially non-compliant with EU air pollution standards, such as they are . . .

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick
  • Like 1

I am still confused as to how I might be affected by this. My car performs okay and despite having the affected engine it passes its MOT and produces great fuel economy. The MOT computer doesn't read the software version of the ECU so if I don't update that then nothing will change. When I come to sell the a car nobody ever checks the software (unlike a couple of countries where this has to be done) and that won't change. The government (or VW) doesn't have the power to seize all the affected cars from their owners and as there are likely to be so many cars affected they would be unlikely to even attempt to do so,  and besides VW could never replace all the cars anyway   We are also not forced to service our cars at a Skoda dealer so again that is another way to avoid the issue.

Due to the scale of the problem the Government will take a pragmatic view and ask VW to handle it via a recall, but there are unlikely to be any consequences for those that don't comply as there never has been for people who ignore or are not aware of previous recalls and UK law is based upon precedent.    My gut feeling is that the upgrade won't be mandatory and it will be left to the owners to decide what to do.  I will probably do nothing.

• Like 2

Llanigraham,

Your UK MOT on your Diesel & Petrols has it in Neutral and revving.

But that is not what triggers the Defeat Device & its function,  so no worries on that front in the UK.

Unless there are other hidden software tweaks that will.

As to Skoda Dealerships & Servicing & your Vehicle having the Diagnostics done, 

so they should, (it is in Skoda UK Fixed Servicing as part of Minor & Major.)

As to Software Enhancements and Updates, 

also in the Skoda UK Fixed Servicing Price, as part of the Service being done.

But then they should be telling the Owner what was done and why it was done, 

and if they never did it.

As with Service Campaign Work, it is your Vehicle and it is Skoda Servicing not Skoda Secret Servicing.

People have sometimes put in good running cars that do good MPG, and drive away with cars not performing as well,

and that is not Because of a New Air Filter, Oil / Filter & Tyres Pumped up,

it can be because of a Skoda / VW Software Update / Enhancement they were not told was being done.

eg

http://trustgroupuk.com/skoda/offer/skoda-fixed-price-servicing

VED rates on a vehicle. There is nothing in the Legislation that allows retrospective alteration, other than on a change of engine. Therefore any change could only affect new cars that have been subjected to a new EU inspection and classification.

I know someone personally who had the tax band of their car changed after they bought it. Renault (the manufacturer) pay the difference for them.

skomaz: as I see it, the biggest issue is loss of trust and credibility that VW have brought on themselves.

There's a big difference between bending rules, and thoroughly breaking them and covering that up, and then being caught out in this.

Agreed - so tell me why you, personally, should be worried about that?

Agreed - so tell me why you, personally, should be worried about that?

I'm not particularly worried, more disappointed.

When someone you trust lies to you, that's what happens isn't it, you get disappointed in their behaviour, and are less likely to trust them in future?

• Like 1

VED rates on a vehicle. There is nothing in the Legislation that allows retrospective alteration, other than on a change of engine. Therefore any change could only affect new cars that have been subjected to a new EU inspection and classification.

In general motoring, as far as I can tell, there would be no difference to the fuel consumption or emission levels. The "cheat" only comes into effect under very precise criteria, and not one you are likely to ever get. The nearest is when you have the car in neutral and try to rev it. The only time I have found this to be a problem was at an MSA Noise Check where revs are supposed to be held at a particular level. 

From reading some of the comments some of you are panicking unnecessarily and being a bit OTT.

When I looked into this a few years ago even a subsequent change of engine still didn't change the VED rate for a particular car. There was literally no system in place in for a UK registered car to ever have its official CO2 rating amended, no matter what modifications subsequent owners carried out. Therefore all this talk of VED rates changing on affected cars is nonsense.

• Like 1

VED is currently based on CO2 not NOx, so it won't change.

A little off topic but just seen this (God help anyone buying after this comes in, don't get rid of your diesel yet!):

0f4f29fff4ec95fa35f4cac4e057ee9e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by JoeFifty

VED is currently based on CO2 not NOx, so it won't change

Yes, I think some people are implying that anything that affects NOx in this test would also affect CO2 emissions in normal driving.....but really, why would it?

Equally there is no reason why it would have any effect on the smoke emissions test for a UK MOT either.

I can't see why any of this has any implications at all for owners in the UK!

Edited by nick74
  • Like 1

I know someone personally who had the tax band of their car changed after they bought it. Renault (the manufacturer) pay the difference for them.

Isn't that perhaps a case of the car being mistakenly registered with the wrong CO2 rating when new, rather than a subsequent physical modification to the car as such?

Edited by nick74

I'm not particularly worried, more disappointed.

When someone you trust lies to you, that's what happens isn't it, you get disappointed in their behaviour, and are less likely to trust them in future?

Yes - I agree it's disappointing but, other than disappointment it has no real impact on you as a person and I'm afraid disappointment isn't compensatable (not that I'm implying that you were one of the ones looking for compensation as I haven't gone back through the whole thread to check...)