Service Action - Software Upgrade EA 189 Engines

Had my recall letter yesterday, "Service Action: 23R6 EA 189 diesel engines.". The engine code is CFFB.

The letter promises,

"Skoda has worked closely with the relevant, independent authorities to test extensively the software update for your vehicle. Following the completion of this testing, I can confirm there will be no change to your vehicle's engine performance, maximum torque or noise levels. The performance data already published for your vehicle, including fuel consumption values & CO2 emissions will also remain unchanged."

Odd that the VW Group have never published examples of before and after dyno results or Youtube vids showing customers cars being given the fix and the results.

Those figures for MPG were done for EU testing in a temperature controlled building and are for comparison against other vehicles and do not reflect real world.

So 'The Fix' might have the vehicles perform as the original 'test vehicles' figures, but i doubt if that vehicle still exists it could actually 

match its original test results.

They need to make that statement conserning how a vehicle was performing on the road before and after because that is what any challenge in a court will be based on.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx

• Like 1

As discussed here...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/403828-just-refused-the-vag-emissions-recall/

It is simply not worth taking the risk.

Why have the recall done? There is going to be no benefit to you, but plenty of risk.

Sure some of us might sleep better at night knowing our cars might be less polluting but the worry of a mechanical deficient car with reduced performance / efficiency / life would cause me more sleepless nights.

I may be banging the same drum but if it saves at least one person from being hoodwinked by VAG then it'll have been worth it.

I refused the recall and my 2011 110,000 mile Superb is running better than the day I bought it, I reckon she is finally run in.

• Like 1

Hmmmm, but you're made to sign a declaration to state you've refused to have the update undertaken. Wonder why that'd be the case if it's voluntary....info back to the DVLA perhaps?

I declined the recall today and was initial told I'd need to sign to say I'd refused. Apparently this was to stop Skoda chasing the dealer up about missing the recall.

When I collected the car up they'd already entered the decline on their system with nothing to sign.

• Like 1

LOL! You obviously don't know how efficient they've become in the last 10 years...

How long ago was it that they misplaced 10000 (or however many) blank V5 forms and had to issue new ones to everyone in the country? :D

Do you work there?

Hmmmm, but you're made to sign a declaration to state you've refused to have the update undertaken. Wonder why that'd be the case if it's voluntary....info back to the DVLA perhaps?

They report back to head office on the ones where the owner has refused the update.

How long ago was it that they misplaced 10000 (or however many) blank V5 forms and had to issue new ones to everyone in the country? :D

Do you work there?

I think you're referring to the theft of 120k blank V5 docs about 10 years ago?

No, I don't.

The Lawyers representing those that are hoping to sue VW are saying that owners should refuse to sign anything for now at their dealers.

Yes.

I have decided Skoda will not be touching my car AND I will not be signing any kind of document presented to me.

Unfortunately you have to do either one or the other. 

By all means ask Skoda not to perform the recall, but for them to agree to this you need to sign a form.

Unless of course you are determined your car never crosses a Skoda dealers threshold ever again.

See here for the form...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/403828-just-refused-the-vag-emissions-recall/

By all means ask Skoda not to perform the recall, but for them to agree to this you need to sign a form.

Not always ;)

I refused the recall on Monday when I had my cam belt replaced, initially they said I would have to sign something but when I picked it up they had changed their mind!

No form to sign and no recall, happy me :)

Unless of course you are determined your car never crosses a Skoda dealers threshold ever again.

See here for the form...

I understand what you are saying.

So I shall not be signing any form in the knowledge that my car will never cross the threshold of a Skoda dealer again.

• Like 3

Not always ;)

I refused the recall on Monday when I had my cam belt replaced, initially they said I would have to sign something but when I picked it up they had changed their mind!

No form to sign and no recall, happy me :)

I think the problem here might be if you ever forget and book the car in again in the future without remembering to tell them not to upgrade the software it might be done without you knowing.

Saying that given that it is Skoda UK we are talking about here, anything is possible. At least with a signed form you can prove you asked for your car not to be updated if it came to it.

I think the problem here might be if you ever forget and book the car in again in the future without remembering to tell them not to upgrade the software it might be done without you knowing.

Quite possibly, they did confirm my rejection on their computer system. Guess we shall see.

Worse case I'll just reflash the ECU with it's current firmware as I've already updated it myself once ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As soon as the original letter came out, I contacted Skoda to make them aware that the BHP and Torque characteristics were key to my decision to buy the car (as I drag a caravan around), and that any changes adversely affecting either would render the car unfit for the purpose for which it was purchased. I've had a series of correspondences and several calls from the Technical Team, who have refused to discuss what the changes are or to share any testing data (I specifically requested before and after dyno graphs). A lack of enthusiasm by those who have had the fix isn't reassuring that VAG is sincere in their claims that it doesn't affect performance. They also maintain that this issue has not adversely affected resale values (despite a VAG dealer offering me a trade in value of only 40% of the original MSRP on a 22 month old car with less than 20k miles)! VAG/Skoda's lack of empathy to customer anxiety has dented the Skoda experience for me, and I'm considering legal action... All this is in complete contrast to the way that affected VAG owners have been treated in the USA (where consumers protection has teeth)....

As soon as the original letter came out, I contacted Skoda to make them aware that the BHP and Torque characteristics were key to my decision to buy the car (as I drag a caravan around), and that any changes adversely affecting either would render the car unfit for the purpose for which it was purchased. I've had a series of correspondences and several calls from the Technical Team, who have refused to discuss what the changes are or to share any testing data (I specifically requested before and after dyno graphs). A lack of enthusiasm by those who have had the fix isn't reassuring that VAG is sincere in their claims that it doesn't affect performance. They also maintain that this issue has not adversely affected resale values (despite a VAG dealer offering me a trade in value of only 40% of the original MSRP on a 22 month old car with less than 20k miles)! VAG/Skoda's lack of empathy to customer anxiety has dented the Skoda experience for me, and I'm considering legal action... All this is in complete contrast to the way that affected VAG owners have been treated in the USA (where consumers protection has teeth)....

If the fix was as straight forward and non-impactful as they claimed; surely sharing the technical details outcome used to make that statement originally wouldn't be an issue...

You're not asking for VAG secrets; just confirmation on what they've said, from them

I declined the recall today and was initial told I'd need to sign to say I'd refused. Apparently this was to stop Skoda chasing the dealer up about missing the recall.

When I collected the car up they'd already entered the decline on their system with nothing to sign.

I've had two recall letters for my 60 plate superb 2.0 SE CR 140 and ignored both then got a call from the dealer recently - I explained I was well aware of the fix and I wasn't prepared to have it done, especially as I am planning to remap it in March once the warranty is up.

He said that was fine, it would be updated on the Skoda system and there was nothing to sign when I asked.

Too many negative reviews and a distinct lack of before and after dyno runs plus the obvious fact that it's very difficult to improve efficiency and emissions without having a negative impact on fuel or power/torque is enough to convince me to just leave as is until remap time when I can concentrate on unlocking more power and to hell with the emissions!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I had no letter(s) asking me to do the fix - but like I said before - if they'll force me to do it - I'll "force" them to arrange dyno before and after or I'll pay for it myself :)