Diesel engines fix recall

Blaven

I've read damn near all of the comments on the Superb 2 forum, plus all of this thread here. There are quite a few complaints, perhaps 4 or 5 positive comments, and yes, lots of questions. My point (which you seem to have side-stepped) is that the balance between positive/negative comments on a topic online will always skew towards negative. Making a decision based on negative comments on a forum thread is a gamble.

US vs EU: We've been over this several times by now.

The US is different to EU.

Owners are facing loss of vehicle value in the US: TDI values in the EU have actually strengthened despite this issue.

VAG are unlikely to be able to fix a lot of cars to meet US emissions regulations (they are very likely going to be able to meet the less stringent EU5 regulations in the EU): this means VAG defrauded its customers in terms of promises about fuel economy/performance in the US. This is unlikely to be the case in the EU: it looks like any performance hit will be slight and hard to prove objectively. It'll be splitting hairs and a damned expensive court process for all involved.

The reason US customers are being compensated is that have provably lost money/value as a result of VAG's actions. I have a hard time seeing that be the case in the EU. If you want to change my mind, bring proof (not conjecture or conspiracy theories) that EU owners will face financial loss as a result of this issue.

And US regulators have taken a much harder line right from the start on the flouting of US type approval as a result of the emissions cheat device compared to the EU.

Simply Clever because Skoda are not sold in North America and so does not affect Skoda CZ, so Skoda owners can trust the VW Group & Skoda will make sure they are all OK.

Quick and easy as that if typed and said quickly.

Nothing to see move along, take your car in or have a Technician come to you, job done.

Simply Clever because Skoda are not sold in North America and so does not affect Skoda CZ, so Skoda owners can trust the VW Group & Skoda will make sure they are all OK.

Quick and easy as that if typed and said quickly.

Nothing to see move along, take your car in or have a Technician come to you, job done.

Once again you deliberately ignore the point.

There's a reason TDI owners in the US (both Audi and VW as it happens) are being compensated and TDI owners in the EU are unlikely to be (from any of the 4 VAG brands that sell TDIs). It has nothing to do with what badge is on the bonnet.

I am not ignoring it, we know that they have SCR vehicles that did not have ad-blue tanks big enough and emissions controls switched of in normal use but are during Smog tests, and those other TDI's without SCR also were cheating EU testing and tighter US emission standards were being cheated and Us are p!$$ed off, as are owners and dealerships and are rightly getting recompensed. The EU just accepts being shafted and governments cheated out of TAXES DUTIES, LOANS AND FUNDING
. It is the EU way.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Just saw mentioned Europe and USA. Americans get some compensation, we don't. Wanted to ask if you get any compensation for bringing the car to the dealer.

Just think about that - it takes some time, some fuel to do that. If you are busy enough then you have to re-arrange your time just to make dealer appointment possible. All that not because you have been irresponsible for the maintenance of your car but because private company wanted more profit...

There seems to be multiple mentions in this thread of a 'defeat device'. My understanding is the software in the engine management computer simply identified certain parameters that indicated that the car was under test rather than being driven on the road and then used a different engine map that resulted in lower than usual NOx readings being shown. This 'cheat' affected NOx figures rather than CO2. The UK MOT does not test for NOx or CO2 output levels.

So what is this cheat 'device' that is being referred to?

There seems to be multiple mentions in this thread of a 'defeat device'. My understanding is the software in the engine management computer simply identified certain parameters that indicated that the car was under test rather than being driven on the road and then used a different engine map that resulted in lower than usual NOx readings being shown. This 'cheat' affected NOx figures rather than CO2. The UK MOT does not test for NOx or CO2 output levels.

So what is this cheat 'device' that is being referred to?

Defined here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defeat_device

Basically, anything that cheats the system such that testing gives a misleadingly healthy result. In this case the contents of your second sentence.

The English Oxford dictionary defines a 'device' as "an object or machine that has been invented for a particular purpose" - hence I do not consider an operation performed in software as a 'device'.

However, I suppose 'device' is a convenient description in this specific case.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 19:30, vr6 south said:

I have decided against the recall and opted for a re-map instead. I am already seeing 4 - 5 mpg extra on my 17 mile trip to work, along with much better performance.

Hi, I have done my power remap sometime ago and same here , much more torque and power and MPG too! so I think I will not do the 'FIX' on my engine...

We have been overwhelmed by the response to our action against VW and have seen over 15,000 people with affected vehicles join the claim. We are determined to hold VW accountable for their deceit in relation to NOx emission levels, and the best way you can play your part is by completing the registration process and by becoming a claimant in the litigation.

Ker ching ;-)               hopefully

Edited by peterposh

I have had my 2.0 tsk 2013 Octavia estate fixed last month. 

Has anyone else noted loss in MPG?

i used to average 48mpg

now its reading 38mpg for the same journeys. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peterposh said:

We have been overwhelmed by the response to our action against VW and have seen over 15,000 people with affected vehicles join the claim. We are determined to hold VW accountable for their deceit in relation to NOx emission levels, and the best way you can play your part is by completing the registration process and by becoming a claimant in the litigation.

Which claim? Register online somewhere??

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 12:38, Jevpls said:

Just saw mentioned Europe and USA. Americans get some compensation, we don't. Wanted to ask if you get any compensation for bringing the car to the dealer.

Just think about that - it takes some time, some fuel to do that. If you are busy enough then you have to re-arrange your time just to make dealer appointment possible. All that not because you have been irresponsible for the maintenance of your car but because private company wanted more profit...

The first letter I got said at no cost to me .   But I've been getting phone calls,letters which I'dont normally do wondering if I wanted to book it in for a cambelt change or a Mot or a service. I'm 50 miles from the nearest Skoda dealer but no notice of the recall being done . I wonder why ? 

12 hours ago, Quiksilver_TR said:

Which claim? Register online somewhere??

For the avoidance of doubt, there is no need to go to www.vwemissionsaction.com and re-register your claim.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,

Jacqueline Young
Head of Group Litigation
Slater and Gordon 

16 hours ago, peterposh said:

Excuse me for being cynical but...   For the lawyers yes I'm sure it will be...   we can see where you are coming from and why you are doing it...   ;-)

7 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Excuse me for being cynical but...   For the lawyers yes I'm sure it will be...   we can see where you are coming from and why you are doing it...   ;-)

Yes of course it will , it will cost a fortune to take VAG to court , but I'm not going to be able to afford it on my own . They reckon " a few thousand " per car for  punters

On 23/01/2017 at 18:36, Cable said:

I have had my 2.0 tsk 2013 Octavia estate fixed last month. 

Has anyone else noted loss in MPG?

i used to average 48mpg

now its reading 38mpg for the same journeys. 

If anything the mpg is better. Just driven to Brighton from the midlands 380 miles and achived 56 mpg tank to tank just drove normally no special efforts to drive economically

I had mine done a week ago, along with the MOT, and as a chance to check out the servicing department of a different dealership to my usual one.

all went fine, haven't spotted much of a difference in driving, and a tank seems to be lasting as long

As a "thank you for having the software update performed, and for your trouble" I was given an umbrella, and a goody bag with a pen, travel mug and keyring with trolley token.

It does feel obvious when you are in the wrong gear (eg slow down for traffic lights/ tight corner and try to head off in 3rd or 4th) but I'm not sure if that's anything to do with the "fix" or just me not driving properly recently :blush