Octavia III Facelift

Why?

Because LEDs is not very practical during winter. They dont produce enough heat to melt through the ice and snow.

My in-laws has a xc90 with LEDs, and hate them during winter.

Don't they have water pressure as the Xenons?

What about the light they produced compared to Xenon?

LEDs are just like other headlights, some are good, others are bad. Ive really only tried those on the xc90. They are quite good, White and bright. Unless frozen...

Don't they have water pressure as the Xenons?

What about the light they produced compared to Xenon?

I have OEM LEDs on a 2016 VW Polo. They have the same water pressure washing system as the Xenon ones. Compared to my Octavia (with Xenon) I find that the LEDs are brighter and when using the high beams they light better and further. However, since they have no lens system the lighting is less homogenous; the pictures of the FL O3 seem to show lens systems so I guess the light will be like that on the Passat, which is way better than the OEM Xenon on the current model O3. Alas, it still looks ugly. Edited by paulsoava
  • Like 1

Because LEDs is not very practical during winter. They dont produce enough heat to melt through the ice and snow.

My in-laws has a xc90 with LEDs, and hate them during winter.

In general I'm a big fan of LEDs for every lighting application and I even had a LED-based car for 6months. Now I'm more than glad to be back to Xenons. I'm sure the LEDs are the future, but for the time being it's (in many cases I guess) a marketing-born extra that customer happily pay for, rather than a final product with engineering done to full extent. There are still some issues to be addressed: they have to work on proper cornering, homogeneous beam with no weird halos or artifacts plus the above mentioned subject. Maybe some solutions on the market are already free from listed issues, but till I'm 100% assured about that I'll happily use "old" tech Xenons. Ones in O3 might not be the top of the class, but I'm finding them more than adequate for the task: nice, tight beam, cornering works as it should, color temperature good and clean across the entire beam.

• Like 1

In general I'm a big fan of LEDs for every lighting application and I even had a LED-based car for 6months. Now I'm more than glad to be back to Xenons. I'm sure the LEDs are the future, but for the time being it's (in many cases I guess) a marketing-born extra that customer happily pay for, rather than a final product with engineering done to full extent. There are still some issues to be addressed: they have to work on proper cornering, homogeneous beam with no weird halos or artifacts plus the above mentioned subject. Maybe some solutions on the market are already free from listed issues, but till I'm 100% assured about that I'll happily use "old" tech Xenons. Ones in O3 might not be the top of the class, but I'm finding them more than adequate for the task: nice, tight beam, cornering works as it should, color temperature good and clean across the entire beam.

Out of interest what issues have you seen on them?  I've gone from the vRS Xenons to BMW "Advanced LEDs" on the X3 and they're like night and day, the colour "viability" is far better, they're brighter, cornering works as well or better than the vRS and you get full beam almost all the time even where there's traffic (makes a "hole" in the beam for the cars around to to avoid blinding them).

Unfortunately I've never driven a BMW with Xenons or a VAG car with LEDs so maybe not a great comparison.

Edited by gullyg

Out of interest what issues have you seen on them?  I've gone from the vRS Xenons to BMW "Advanced LEDs" on the X3 and they're like night and day, the colour "viability" is far better, they're brighter, cornering works as well or better than the vRS and you get full beam almost all the time even where there's traffic (makes a "hole" in the beam for the cars around to to avoid blinding them).

Unfortunately I've never driven a BMW with Xenons or a VAG car with LEDs so maybe not a great comparison.

It was Peugeot 508. In case you read my other post related to that piece of stinky goo, you may have a general impression on my feelings toward it :swear: :moon: :wall: In short - someone has to be really tired with a new car to sell it just after few months (decision to do so took actually 8 days after purchase - rest was looking for a client and trying to minimize the losses)...

Again it may not be a fair comparison as this car was crappy in so many ways... What was particularly wrong with those leds was rather mediocre output, no cornering (although was promised by the dealer), rather loose beam and most annoying halo - a pronounced violet ring on the edge of the beam. Also the automatic high beam worked...well usual peugeot way, so not really. Only advantage was the way the lights look...when switched off :p

Again - that might have been simply the worst led set on the market and thus I was set a bit biased, but Xenons in Skoda are just fine for my taste and despite some other opinions, myself I'm not missing the output intensity at all.

One more pic of the octavia FL..

Thanks for posting.

I really don't understand the problem, it's still a Skoda front-end, albeit a little different.

If it's nicer inside, has better toys & drives nicely than that's more important to me than the shape of the nose!

We've recently walked away from purchasing a Leon ST Cupra 290, because the interior feels too cheap & dark, even though it's fun to drive.

It's probably an age thing..................

DC

• Like 2

I have OEM LEDs on a 2016 VW Polo. They have the same water pressure washing system as the Xenon ones. Compared to my Octavia (with Xenon) I find that the LEDs are brighter and when using the high beams they light better and further. However, since they have no lens system the lighting is less homogenous; the pictures of the FL O3 seem to show lens systems so I guess the light will be like that on the Passat, which is way better than the OEM Xenon on the current model O3. Alas, it still looks ugly.

Interseting! So polo 2016 doesnt have lens for LEDs? Something like S class from 2000 which had xenon but no lens...

Edit....now I see that bixenon lens started from 2002 facelift....so not sure If any car ever had OEM xenon witout lens....

Edited by djordje48
  • Like 1

Interseting! So polo 2016 doesnt have lens for LEDs? Something like S class from 2000 which had xenon but no lens...

Edit....now I see that bixenon lens started from 2002 facelift....so not sure If any car ever had OEM xenon witout lens....

The previous civic did (2007 to 2011) Edited by vtec to vrs!

Well it's sort of growing on me, and from the drivers seat who cares? Regarding LED lights, just wait until BMW switch to the new laser headlights! Yes you read that write, Lasers. I'll wait for the Deathray version.  :no:

Well it's sort of growing on me, and from the drivers seat who cares? Regarding LED lights, just wait until BMW switch to the new laser headlights! Yes you read that write, Lasers. I'll wait for the Deathray version. :no:

BMW - frying a retina near you soon :p

Doesnt the i8 have the laser lights as an option?

Yes, I'm pretty sure they are available already. Jees, what's next, nuclear headlights? :no:

So does the new 7 series, as will the new 5.

They only come on when there is no traffic and in high beam, otherwise they are just LED.

• Like 1

BMW - frying a retina near you soon :p

Doesnt the i8 have the laser lights as an option?

The run-out special of the previous model Audi R8 also had laser main beam assist.

Evo magazine rated the laser headlights highly when they tested an R8 in Snowdonia! But for those of us in congested parts of Britain (i.e. most of it) I doubt they would ever come on

:notme:

• Like 1

Oups. Porsche RO has removed Octavia from configurator. So I presume that they are preparing the facelift.... That is bad. I hoped that they will launch it later in RO and I will have the time to order another pre-facelift model....  :wall:  :rain:

Definitely looks like Skoda are trying too hard with that front end. I never needed beer goggles for a car before.  It may look better after a while, and grow on me, like the Jaguar XJ did for me, although I seriously doubt it.

Honestly I really believe that Jozef Kabaň has had a few shots of vodka before drawing that facelift. Especially the headlights, the rest of it let's say it's not WOW,  but after all it is a skoda and it works. I am so upset of because I really wanted to go for the second VRS Octavia...

Edited by U241170