Octavia III Facelift

2 minutes ago, ColinD said:

I share with you though, within 1 mile of the start of the test in Scotland we'd enabled the chassis/steering trickery to tighten it up. Without that, on anything bar a motorway then I'd agree wallow, but 90% of it steering physiology.

Is the DCC that good?

Kinda wonder how it'd be on a vRS.....

• Administrators

re DCC I genuinely don't know.

This was just the poor man option below DCC, forget the exact marketing terms. The one with DCC they gave to a magazine writer who said the v6 was a great drive... I only hope he knew it was a skoda.

I've yet to get my hands on a DCC one. I kind of hoped the octavia I borrowed would have had it, but it was swapped last minute due to another magazine writer pranging it.

The 230 I borrowed didn't need much more, I can only imagine it would help. But for normal A road driving, over the course of a week and 1500ish miles I wasn't thinking this needs a different suspension setup. It was never struggling with a making progress/smooth approach. I mean sure I could've of pushed it more... but then I'd be looking at doing time. B roads might have helped, never know till I can persuade them to drop another off. Track use almost definitely help, but tyres and ability a better investment in that environment.

The trend seems to be ever stiffer suspension, some of us enjoy a bit of comfort from driving.

When I'm trudging back and forth from work, or taking the baby to do shopping, I don't want Nurburgring honed suspension, I want something that won't break my back, even if it is wallowy (how I miss my old Xantia). It was a positive for the Octavia that it was comfortable.

• Administrators
Just now, WillM82 said:

The trend seems to be ever stiffer suspension, some of us enjoy a bit of comfort from driving.

When I'm trudging back and forth from work, or taking the baby to do shopping, I don't want Nurburgring honed suspension, I want something that won't break my back, even if it is wallowy (how I miss my old Xantia). It was a positive for the Octavia that it was comfortable.

I grew up in and owned a few Citroen's, I owned a BX and a Xantia. I loved the Xanita, on a climbing trip back from france via the supermarche, seats down full of beer to the window line, kit on top... Shame I made it a compact on a lorry. Shame Citroen moved away too from being progressive, chopped it in for a Primera GT before the Octavia 4x4.

Back then I didn't really care what cars looked like. I don't now, except the ones where the designer has obviously had enough ;) Price and space will still make it sell.

• Like 1

Xantia was brilliant for huge loads - the old fella used to load his up with heavy industrial steam boiler equipment, the suspension just self levelled.

Citroen had to go mainstream though, a lot of people were scared of the Hydropneumatic suspension even though by the 90s any issues had been sorted - no more rusting pipes etc. and spheres were as easy to change as 4 oil filters. The brakes took some getting used to, these were changed to a separate circuit for the C5.

Did look at a C5 Exclusive (with the hydro) before the Octavia, but the dealer wasn't really interested, the saloon shape was just like the Saab I was trading in - the boot opening may even have been a little smaller - versus the practical pram-friendly hatchback Octy.

Primera GT was a nice underrated Q car, a bit like the Octavia VRS. They did well at BTCC too. Though as I say above, I reckon they went leftfield with the last Primera to push the Qashqai as the future (and they were successful).

I do like a nice looking car, I think the Octavia is understated handsome, a bit like the Xantia, it'll never turn heads but it doesn't look out of place in a business park car park.

Haven't seen the facelift in the flesh, I suspect it'll look better than the photos, but as I said previously, I reckon that Skoda gave themselves a bit freer reign to be bold with the Kodiak as the safety net.

58 minutes ago, WillM82 said:

Thats the point of the DCC, it switches between sport, normal & comfort with the mode selection. Hence, the wife need NEVER know other than new tyres every 6,000 miles

41 minutes ago, Micks_address said:

Hi folks, 

How close to build date can you add extras? Mine is week 20, may 15th to 21st..thinking of adding heated front seats... To late? 

Cheers 

Mick 

You need to check what status code. If it's status 20 then too late. Have you been told the build week is confirmed?

Edited by tigermad

12 minutes ago, tigermad said:

You need to check what status code. If it's status 20 then too late. Have you been told the build week is confirmed?

Dealer said week 20 today.. Nothing re status... As a matter of interest can i track status myself online? 

1 minute ago, Micks_address said:

Dealer said week 20 today.. Nothing re status... As a matter of interest can i track status myself online? 

Nope but you can call Skoda customer services. I did on a weekly basis and then my dealer always updated me just after. Just hope you don't get the man I got sometimes who was right mardy, he kept saying I need to check with my dealer . Most of them were fine though and nothing was too much trouble. They even told me which ship it was on when I asked :-)

8 minutes ago, tigermad said:

Nope but you can call Skoda customer services. I did on a weekly basis and then my dealer always updated me just after. Just hope you don't get the man I got sometimes who was right mardy, he kept saying I need to check with my dealer . Most of them were fine though and nothing was too much trouble. They even told me which ship it was on when I asked :-)

Are you uk based? I don't want to annoy my dealer by going to skoda directly.. Is there anyway production can get moved forward? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Micks_address said:

Are you uk based? I don't want to annoy my dealer by going to skoda directly.. Is there anyway production can get moved forward? 

I'm in the UK. Why would you annoy him? Loads of people on here check progress with Skoda U.K.  The dealer won't even know you call up anyway. 

Edited by tigermad

On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 14:09, juan27 said:

To be fair about the €10 v £125 I think the electrically folding mirrors are standard in Germany, so you are literally paying for the config (if you like) whereas in the UK without memory electric folding mirrors are £175. (Go figure).

Heated, dimming folding mirrors are now standard on the vRS

Guest Cossiecol
30 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Not sure about this as it was an option on my FL order and is still an option on the website

Edited by Cossiecol

Guest Cossiecol
2 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

No brochure as yet, sales manager at Spattshots couldn't add the mirrors to an order this week as they are standard now.

You should get that option money back 

Interesting, I would have thought the configuration page would have been updated to remove the option if it is indeed now standard.

I've just bitten the bullet on the £50 admin charge and added the black pack to my race blue FL VRS estate order. Hopefully in time for the change to go through. Not something I thought I'd go for but I've watched a ton of videos and reckon the chrome trim only works with silver wheels and roof bar which I don't want. Pre FL, blue def works better with black grille surround.

3 hours ago, Jcbl said:

I've just bitten the bullet on the £50 admin charge and added the black pack to my race blue FL VRS estate order. Hopefully in time for the change to go through. Not something I thought I'd go for but I've watched a ton of videos and reckon the chrome trim only works with silver wheels and roof bar which I don't want. Pre FL, blue def works better with black grille surround.

What £50 admin fee? I changed my spec for a Superb a few times and didn't get charged anything. This was at a local dealer though. 

Don't suppose anyone knows the full standard spec for the new vRS? Like does it have a heated steering wheel, as I've seen that mentioned a few places but it's not an option available for selection on the configurator. Does it come with a USB socket? When I bought mine you had to pick USB & Aux in, or MDI.

Also, this is more a question for existing vRS DSG owners, what's the DSG like to drive? I have a manual currently but thinking of going DSG in my next one. Is it slow at reacting when you want to pull away from a junction for example - my wife's 1.4 VW Polo has DSG and it frustrates me on how unwilling it is to get going from complete stand-still. If you are in automatic mode can you temporarily override the current gear with the paddle shift, or do you have to put the transmission in to manual first (I think it was discussed already but can't recall what the outcome was).

20 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

6 minutes ago, juan27 said:

Link to summary of a standard VRS Estate:

http://cc-cloud.skoda-auto.com/CarCard/101575996

That CarCard just says "Exterior mirrors, power-adjustable/ heated"; no mention of folding or dimming.

2 hours ago, djkarlos said:

Don't suppose anyone knows the full standard spec for the new vRS? Like does it have a heated steering wheel, as I've seen that mentioned a few places but it's not an option available for selection on the configurator. Does it come with a USB socket? When I bought mine you had to pick USB & Aux in, or MDI.

Also, this is more a question for existing vRS DSG owners, what's the DSG like to drive? I have a manual currently but thinking of going DSG in my next one. Is it slow at reacting when you want to pull away from a junction for example - my wife's 1.4 VW Polo has DSG and it frustrates me on how unwilling it is to get going from complete stand-still. If you are in automatic mode can you temporarily override the current gear with the paddle shift, or do you have to put the transmission in to manual first (I think it was discussed already but can't recall what the outcome was).

The paddles always override the transmission in "D" or "S" in all of our cars, unless you you are asking the impossible. (going too far into the red zone or trying to select a gear that's too high for the car's speed.)

As for driving, most of our DSG experiences have been with 2.0 TSi's, right foot down = car goes faster..... Select "S" rather than "D", similar result but more noise & quicker + much axle-tramp on a FWD car unless you modulate the gas-pedal to minimise this unseemly behaviour....

(Note to self, when not driving the Golf, wear thinner driving shoes........)

DC