LATEST MAP DOWNLOAD

Hi Guys,

i need your support. I have a L&K 190 p.s. - with Columbus. When i ordered the car - it came with English menu (I am from Bulgaria) - and many other options - except bulgarian language. 

The models after week 22 (or 26 i am not sure) 2016 - came with option to choose bulgarian menu - and some small changes - like the 10 color option for the ambient lights. 

I do not really need the 10 colors - but i really need to have the bulgarian menu in the car - having in mind that my father also drives it - and he doesn't know english. The menus - the navigation - everything is in English - and it is a little bit confusing for him with a language that he does not know. Do you know how i can update the firmware or the software of the unit ? I updated to the last navigation maps - they work perfect, but the language menu is the same - without some languages.

Thanks in advance for the support.

@simichoil Firmware updates can only be done in a Škoda workshop as it is performed online from the Škoda server.

You won't get any new options like the 10 LED colours but you may get additional languages.

@mdpslm has had his firmware updated from 0318 to 0848. Unless he picks up on this post it might be an idea to send him a PM to ask if the update added your desired language.

The workshop may charge for the time it takes to do an update, so I would advise you check beforehand that you will actually get what you want before paying for any update.

Very recently purchased new facelift Skoda Octavia SE L with Amundsen system. The version information in the map is reported as ECE1 2017 with shield 2016-03 (build 20)  looking at this forum it seems ECE 2016/2017 is available. The update Portal http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/ states "The last update was in November 2016, the next update is scheduled for June 2017".

When I enter my VIN into the update portal no map updates are found and I get the message "There were no software updates for the VIN".

Do I have the latest version already? or is there a problem with my VIN?

I am really grateful for any assistance anybody can provide.

Thanks in advance.

Jon :-)

@simichoil, the update to the firmware in my columbus head unit was done at a Skoda dealership and was to cure issues with the touchscreen not responding when it was cold - I did not notice any other change in functions or languages. That being said in the morning on my drive to work I will check to see if Bulgarian is available - will report back tomorrow evening.

5 hours ago, Jonny_a said:

Very recently purchased new facelift Skoda Octavia SE L with Amundsen system. The version information in the map is reported as ECE1 2017 with shield 2016-03 (build 20)  looking at this forum it seems ECE 2016/2017 is available. The update Portal http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/ states "The last update was in November 2016, the next update is scheduled for June 2017".

When I enter my VIN into the update portal no map updates are found and I get the message "There were no software updates for the VIN".

Do I have the latest version already? or is there a problem with my VIN?

I am really grateful for any assistance anybody can provide.

Thanks in advance.

Jon :-)

There are two versions of the map files, one for Columbus and the other for Amundsen.

The Columbus performs a 'software update' which copies the maps from any SD Card to the Columbus' internal hard drive. Once the update is complete the SD Card is no longer needed.

The Amundsen version reads the maps from the OEM supplied 'Maps' SD Card which needs to be kept inserted in the SD slot and any updates also need to be written to this card as, once used, it is 'locked' to your unit - though it may be possible to clone the card as a back-up.

The Columbus and Amundsen files are incompatible with each other.

It seems that although the Columbus 2017/2018 maps have been published the Amundsen 2017/2018 maps have not.

So at the moment your 2017 maps are still the latest Amundsen version. Keep an eye out as I would expect the Amundsen map update to appear soon.

FYI - It's not just Škoda. It's the same story for VW.

The Blob Problem and the latest map

I too only have a mac at my disposal for downloading the latest columbus map and get the blob message when I try to download. I have downloaded the file at the (kindly provided) MartiniB link but this turns out to be the 2017 map file not the 2017/2018 file. The Skoda website seems to be sufficiently clever to stop me downloading to anything which is not a computer but not to download to a computer!

Can anyone suggest a solution which does not involve buying a Windows PC?

Thanks

@rutterfordharvey The first page of this thread has a link to the download. Try one of BillyJim's post which says "click here". You get an immediate download of a .7z file. Then, for a Mac, see one of my previous posts or BillyJim's posts for tips on how to make it work on an SD card.

9 minutes ago, rutterfordharvey said:

The Blob Problem and the latest map

I too only have a mac at my disposal for downloading the latest columbus map and get the blob message when I try to download. I have downloaded the file at the (kindly provided) MartiniB link but this turns out to be the 2017 map file not the 2017/2018 file. The Skoda website seems to be sufficiently clever to stop me downloading to anything which is not a computer but not to download to a computer!

Can anyone suggest a solution which does not involve buying a Windows PC?

Thanks

Try using something like Virtual Box/VMWare Fusion and deploy a Windows Virtual Machine.  You can then access the VM and have access to a it's browser, etc

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/how-run-windows-on-mac-vmware-boot-camp-virtualbox-3497251/

1 hour ago, rutterfordharvey said:

this turns out to be the 2017 map file not the 2017/2018 file

focus on dates of posts :)

Posted 9 February
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/424089-latest-map-download/?do=findComment&comment=4812647

Posted 28 June
https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/424089-latest-map-download/?do=findComment&comment=4892811

@simichoil, the update to the firmware in my columbus head unit did not include Bulgarian or any other additional languages I'm afraid. Not sure where you go from here, perhaps a chat with your local Skoda dealer to ask what might be possible?

@mdpslm Thanks for the information.

I just called the official service - and the guy told me that there is no official way to flash a new firmware to add a language. And this is strange - because several weeks after me - a friend bought the same - and he has the Bulgarian menu. 

Anyway - i will keep looking for solutions.

On 7.07.2017 г. at 13:58, simichoil said:

I just called the official service - and the guy told me that there is no official way to flash a new firmware to add a language. And this is strange - because several weeks after me - a friend bought the same - and he has the Bulgarian menu. 

Anyway - i will keep looking for solutions.

Hi @simichoil,

Not long ago I have spoken with the Euratek about same. Called twice and got 3 different statements ... Anyway when visited the dealer for the change of oil and filters they finally refuse to update the car. There are some workaround for the searching in Cyrillic. Just not to spam anymore the threat U can write me or call me нула три осмици девет осем четири четири осем, and will give you more detail about that.

Edited by Samo78

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/06/2017 at 19:39, BillyJim said:

As Hozz, I used The Unarchiver. IIRC it's free on the Mac App Store.

I also use Blue Harvest to keep all my external drives clean of those Mac hidden system files that don't play well with other systems.

On 29/06/2017 at 00:06, freelunch said:

I've decompressed the .7z file. And I've downloaded Tinkertool to get rid of the .ds that the Mac OS likes to write. I'll try that before I spring for Blue Harvest, being the freetard that I am...

The expanded .7z download shows four files: metainfo2.txt, Mib1, Mib2 and P161_n60s5mibh3_eu_nt.md5. I'm guess the last of these is not meant to be included on the SD card?

Thanks, all.

On 29/06/2017 at 00:18, BillyJim said:

You guess correctly. It's a download checksum file and not part of the actual update.

I downloaded the same file but according to the infotainment there are no updates on the SD card

Is anyone going to the national meet who has a working SD card with the latest updates on?

2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

I downloaded the same file but according to the infotainment there are no updates on the SD card

Is anyone going to the national meet who has a working SD card with the latest updates on?

Wheeler dealer PM sent.

• Like 1

if u've already been through the software update process - i have the columbus - will the unit continue to say there is a "software update available"?

i downloaded the updates through the portal, put in on SD-card, and it took approx. 30 mins for the update to take place in the car.

i subsequently put music in the same sd-card, with the update files still on it.  hence when i select SD-Card 2 slot on the columbus for media, it says there is a software update available, and refuses to play the music on that sd-card.

does this mean that there is "more" to be updated?
or
the columbus unit doesn't know its already been updated, and simply detects the fact that there are software files on the card?

4 hours ago, JR RS said:

if u've already been through the software update process - i have the columbus - will the unit continue to say there is a "software update available"?

i downloaded the updates through the portal, put in on SD-card, and it took approx. 30 mins for the update to take place in the car.

i subsequently put music in the same sd-card, with the update files still on it.  hence when i select SD-Card 2 slot on the columbus for media, it says there is a software update available, and refuses to play the music on that sd-card.

does this mean that there is "more" to be updated?
or
the columbus unit doesn't know its already been updated, and simply detects the fact that there are software files on the card?

Without wanting to teach you how to suck eggs, have you checked via settings to see what Nav version you have? If it says 2017/2018 then your upload is complete. Delete the update from your SD card or try another SD card in slot 2.

• 2 months later...
On 20/10/2017 at 17:34, Finchbee said:

Hmmm, struggling with this, also a Mac user and have cleaned the sd card of invisible files with an app.  But, the Columbus can not find the update, here is the sequence I see.

https://ibb.co/cvDFD6

https://ibb.co/cykZ6R

https://ibb.co/f1P5D6

https://ibb.co/hFtMmR

Had exactly the same sequence and as a Mac user caused me no end of bother updating.

I've cut and pasted below from another thread the sequence I posted to get a successful update. Hope this helps.

Its all to do with the hidden files Mac insists on writing to formatted discs/cards. I went through the same pain and with the help of threads across the forum managed to work it out.

I would recommend the small utility CleanMyDrive which is a free app from the Apple App store.

Here's how I did it and I updated my maps successfully. Took about 25 minutes for the full update to 2017/18 maps with ignition only on.

• Download and install CleanMyDrive (it sits on your taskbar at the top of the screen and is accessed from there). Play around with it using your SD card to see how it works.
  • Take a 32mb SD card and format it using Apple disk utility. Format it as FAT 32 - this will  leave Mac hidden files. If you want to see them press cmd+Shift+.(dot)
  • Delete these files and you will be left with a .Trashes file. You cannot delete this manually -if you try to it will make a new.Trashes file and put the old .Trashes file into it.
  • Empty your trashcan on the task bar. You have now removed any trash and just left the .Trashes file on your SD card. CleanMyDrive will remove  this for you at the end of the process.
  • Copy the following files only to your SD card metainfo2.txt, and two folders called Mib1 and Mib2 . 
  • Now open CleanMyDrive. It should show you that the SD card has data and 'junk' on it and it will ask you to clean junk - do so.
  • Using CleanMyDrive eject your card. 
  • Remove it and apply the lock tab (I don't know if this makes any difference but other successful updaters have suggested doing this).
  • Put the SD card in the car and it should recognise the files and update - it did for me.

Hope this helps and works for you also.

Ash

Edited by Ashmount
Spelling error
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 21/10/2017 at 03:34, Finchbee said:

Hmmm, struggling with this, also a Mac user...

Follow the steps you’ve been using to format the card.
Place the downloaded zip file into a new folder on your hard drive.
Double click the zip file to unzip it.
Copy all the files in the folder, except the zip file, to the SD card.
Open Terminal (inside the Utilities folder).
If the name of the SD card is UNTITLED, type:

dot_clean /Volumes/UNTITLED

If the name of the card is different, then replace UNTITLED with the name of the card. Make sure the name of the card has no spaces in it.

After typing the command, press the return key. The command will take a second to run.
Eject the card and pop it in the car, following the usual update process.
No need to download any applications or try and delete invisible files.

My set of steps suggested formatting to FAT32 - I was using a 32Gb card.

I think over 32Mb Windows requires you should use ExFAT for formatting. I know we are on the Mac, but the Skoda recognises the Windows formatting protocols.

That may have a bearing...assuming you used FAT32 to format the card.

Ash