Error service: leave vehicle only when selector in position p

If the error is present, you can’t lock the car when you leave it. So if the error is still there when you want to park the car, you will be unable to lock it. 

Jason 

14 minutes ago, Matthew48 said:

I don't follow. The message comes on when I'm driving. Are you saying the doors are unlocked for that brief second I see the message?

Hi, when the message comes up, it's not possible to lock the doors. I've had the error while trying to leave the car at a parking lot and the only option then is to leave the car unlocked (which I didn't but had the car towed to the dealers). 4 times actually.

I can't say I've noticed. The error message is there for only a second. Are you saying that if I park up (after the message flashes up for a second and then disappears) then my car could still be unlocked? Still bleeps when I press the fobs etc

If it beeps it is locked. But if the error is more persistent it won’t beep. The locks won’t engage. And even the physical key in the door won’t work. 

1 minute ago, Jason_M said:

If it beeps it is locked. But if the error is more persistent it won’t beep. The locks won’t engage. And even the physical key in the door won’t work. 

So basically it's ok to leave this problem until the earlier of a) the skoda part being released or b) the problem becoming a lot more frequent? At the moment, It's averaging two messages every other drive during driving (not sure why it always does two and then goes away for the next drive) rather than coming on when parked up.

I would say if it’s not impacting your ability to lock the car, it’s not urgent. Unless you are about to run out of warranty. 

Jason. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jason_M said:

I would say if it’s not impacting your ability to lock the car, it’s not urgent. Unless you are about to run out of warranty. 

Jason. 

Warranty long gone. I'll live with it. thanks for advice.

I am just 6 weeks out of warranty, and have had the error flash up twice.  I am going to a Skoda dealer to see if a goodwill gesture can be sorted.  If not I will have to live with it.....the car has only done 15500 miles! 

Edited by stubev156

I think it would be best if everyone with the fault reported your local Skoda immediately about it and insisted free repair. Otherwise it's just normal VAG, meaning they'll just say "it's not a common problem, nothing to do with the bad design of the part, repair will cost you a grand). They will not admit the problem easily.

If I were out of warranty (still a month to go and we only have 2 years here in Finland), I'd take it to the local consumer protection authorities and have them fight for me.

• Thanks 1

I've never had this error but a few times when firing ignition the maxidot has shown "engage p/n to start" despite already being in P. Doesn't stop it from firing up, but has anyone else had this? Is this the beginning of the issue described in this thread?

I've had fault codes logged for selector mechanism but never any actual noticeable issue. Well out of warranty now at nearly 6 yrs old too.

6 hours ago, teraja said:

I think it would be best if everyone with the fault reported your local Skoda immediately about it and insisted free repair. Otherwise it's just normal VAG, meaning they'll just say "it's not a common problem, nothing to do with the bad design of the part, repair will cost you a grand). They will not admit the problem easily.

If I were out of warranty (still a month to go and we only have 2 years here in Finland), I'd take it to the local consumer protection authorities and have them fight for me.

Everyone (fixed or outstanding) should report it to Skoda Customer services and also preferably on social media like Twitter. They will listen if they get it in the neck enough.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, just bought a used skoda octavia 1.4 estate. Still in warranty until December. This message flashed up today for about 1/2 a second. 

What should I do. Can I take my car to any dealer for this to be checked. Nearest dealers are Reading, Newbury, Winchester 

Any dealer should be able to look at it for you. If it’s still under warranty, I would have a dealer at least look at it. Eve if they don’t replace anything, you are then on record as having presented the problem during the warranty period. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the error popping up in increasing regularity over the last few months on my 2016 Vrs. Took it in to my local dealer before the warranty ran out. They hadn't seen the problem before, but found the Skoda tech bulletin, did all the required diagnosis to satisfy themselves and then replaced the gear lever assembly. They also had another vehicle with the same issue in at the same time also resolved without any hassle.  Pleased to get it resolved so quickly after reading some of the hassle others have had.

Having the same issue... My octavia has only done 44k mile and out of warranty now 😞

This is what I have been quoted for the repair at Skoda in Stockport...! No way can I afford this. I cant believe its such a common fault and Skoda are not doing a recall.... Ridiculous 

20190526_191853333_iOS.jpg

2 hours ago, true247spartan said:

Having the same issue... My octavia has only done 44k mile and out of warranty now 😞

This is what I have been quoted for the repair at Skoda in Stockport...! No way can I afford this. I cant believe its such a common fault and Skoda are not doing a recall.... Ridiculous 

What year is your car? 

8 hours ago, true247spartan said:

Do you have full dealer service history? Ask for some goodwill contribution. It's a common issue as per this thread and I'd be surprised if you couldn't get some contribution via the dealer or via Skoda UK.

Does anybody have a reference to the official Skoda service notification about this issue? Had another occurrence this morning and I want to go in to the dealer with information. 

Edited by MattKing

Hello guys, it's just happened to me to receive this message i have a skoda 66 plate 1.6 dsg and after the message apear second time i went to the skoda dealer the told me to come for a quick check if i have time in the same day.. and when they diagnosticated the car they found the gear selector fault... this was at the quick check and they made me a booking after 11 days to make again the diagnostic and order the parts (this is what they told me that day) and when i was second time the fauld didn't apear and they keep the car all day and check it but the fault didn't apeared again, and they told me if they can't see the fault they can't do anything under the warranty... so they give me the same answer like some of you here they told me to take a photo to the error when apears again.... but the message dissapears very fast in like 2 seconds.... and after this in called skoda customer service and after i told them the problem they answered me with the same thing to try to male a photo of the error message... After i read all your messages i undersrstood that i need to do a VCDS DIAGNOSTIC is correct? And the diagnostic will find the fault? Please help me with the best options regarding this problem.I still have warranty until November. Sorry for my english is not my first language!

Thank you in advance!

@Sergiu1983 - A VCDS scan will reveal any retained faults so you're thinking on the correct lines except that the dealer should have done this already.

As for your English, don't worry. I've seen less comprehensible text written by people who are native English speakers!

17 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

@Sergiu1983 - A VCDS scan will reveal any retained faults so you're thinking on the correct lines except that the dealer should have done this already.

As for your English, don't worry. I've seen less comprehensible text written by people who are native English speakers!

Hello,

Thank you for your reply!I will try do do the VCDS diagnostic asap! The dealer did a diagnostic run with their tools but they didn't find any fault second time when i went.