What annoyed you today?

Aspman

Insurance companies have got me annoyed... again.

Been offered a (non-Skoda, disgraceful I know) car as a new daily, either allowing the Fabia to be punted on or kept as something to fettle away at. Anyway, the car isn't that much bigger than a Fabia, and has a 1.5 petrol engine with not that much more power... but I'm looking at least £20 more in insurance with a black box, whereas the Fabia is cheaper without the box, but I'd benefit from the slightly larger car and that little bit more gutty. Argh.

And relax...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DieselMonte said:

DO NOT GET A BLACKBOX 

Best case they hack up your wiring

Worst case they use it against you.

Either way its not in your interests.

Didn't dream of it. Got one in the Fabia at the moment and the way the 'engineer' put it in means I can't get the headlight switch assembly out - ****ing clown he was. Will be glad when this policy is done with as I strongly hate this insurer I'm with.

Edited by AnnoyingPentium
Added hatred towards insurance company :P
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, nige8021 said:

Thing is I don't recall ticking any box to give them authority to auto-renew or to debit my card without agreement ?

I have a vague recollection that there was a legal change a few years ago such that all car insurance HAD to auto renew unless specifically told otherwise at renewal time in an attempt to reduce the number of uninsured drivers...   So you probably had no choice in the matter 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselMonte said:

Didn't realise you already had one.

Run some magnets over it before you give it back. 

It's hardwired into the car, they want £50 to have it removed. Think I'll do it myself, just disconnect the battery, follow the cable, and remove appropriately.

I've had issues with MyPolicy in the past...

On 26/04/2022 at 21:24, AnnoyingPentium said:

I'm with MyPolicy at the moment, who are brokers who put me through to AXA from what I can tell. The company for the black box is Vodafone, who have the worst customer service and I'm always put through to the dozy sod on the other side of the line who hates me. Vodafone outsource installation to a 'Hyde Park Corner' who cancelled an appointment to fix the box three times. 

They've got a cheek to bill you £50 for any time you miss an appointment when they don't turn up themselves. When the guy finally turned up, he made a right mess of everything and left everything lying. He's also cable-tied the black box unit to my headlight switch unit so I can't remove the switch as I can't tamper with the box, so now I can't properly remove that lower dash panel of my car. Shiftless ******s they are. :@

• Like 2

Just now, DieselMonte said:

Please show photos of how they did it when you remove it. 

Will probably fire them on my project thread when the time comes. My insurance isn't up till the end of August, where I'm going with First Central and will be without a devil box. :biggrin:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, skomaz said:

I have a vague recollection that there was a legal change a few years ago such that all car insurance HAD to auto renew unless specifically told otherwise at renewal time in an attempt to reduce the number of uninsured drivers...   So you probably had no choice in the matter 

This was for caravan insurance not my car, it was just the way it was just a single line buried in the middle of a 4 page PDF and not in the first PDF that gave the renewal prices, the second file was for setting up a DD the third file was general terms and this one line was in the 4th So after reading the renewal price and seeing the next was for DD I didn't read any further as I already had lower quotes and ironically the lowest was from the same company 

• Sad 1

Had to take my cat to the vets just there

Came out and she was in the neighbours garden screaming.

We think another neighbours dog got her. Vet did an xray and it looked OK, but she was in a bad way, couldn't move her back legs. Vets keeping her for observation.

Pic related.

20220510_133018.thumb.jpg.6144113729deaa8c1faf13dc4138315d.jpg

• Sad 5

Aww, that makes my annoyance tiny and petty in comparison 

Starting to prep the car for our holidays (driving+ferry to Holland). First time I've needed to use the straps in the right rear cubby for a warning triangle, and find this. You can't take it off to thread it the right way round

IMG_20220624_180546.thumb.jpg.ed4be8552676750b69ece3fa5e5d3736.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss DM. 

Today I got Yodelled. Been waiting all week for a delivery, Yodel site talking about cyber attack troubles, tracking not working.

Happened to try tracking again about an hour before leaving work (where it was due to be delivered). Tracking working again! 🙂, parcel with driver 15 stops away (and about 5 miles).

Keep refreshing as the number of stops slowly diminishes all the way down to 3, with vehicle maybe 3/4 of a mile away.  Start looking out for van at front of building, wedge internal door open to be sure of hearing rear doorbell too in case he/she goes there.

Next time I hit refresh...."delivered to safe place - front porch". 

No van had been, building has no front porch. :dull:

When I try tracking info now, 1 minute before the 'delivered' entry there's one that says 'distance threshold breached'. 

😕

Patience threshold also breached. 

• Groan 1

2 hours ago, Wet Kipper said:

Aww, that makes my annoyance tiny and petty in comparison 

Starting to prep the car for our holidays (driving+ferry to Holland). First time I've needed to use the straps in the right rear cubby for a warning triangle, and find this. You can't take it off to thread it the right way round

IMG_20220624_180546.thumb.jpg.ed4be8552676750b69ece3fa5e5d3736.jpg

That's where it's supposed to go. The warning triangle comes in a long plastic case. To the right should be retaining straps for the First Aid pack I believe you'll also require

Pic A for hatch, pic B for estate 

post-116168-0-58557200-1425494960.jpg

Here's one better... 1200 quid laptop that I've had just about a year and a half... left control key is dead, along with the three key and the one between Z and C on the keyboard... if you get me. Don't know if it's a Windows 11 error or if it's FUBAR. Going to try a USB keyboard soon.

I would think the laptop should still be under warranty at 18 months? A keyboard swap isn't a big job if they can send the part and you can DIY, or take to a 'local' computer chap?

3 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Here's one better... 1200 quid laptop that I've had just about a year and a half... left control key is dead, along with the three key and the one between Z and C on the keyboard... if you get me. Don't know if it's a Windows 11 error or if it's FUBAR. Going to try a USB keyboard soon.

Only time I use the laptop keyboard is when it's out away somewhere with me which isn't often. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, robt100 said:

I would think the laptop should still be under warranty at 18 months? A keyboard swap isn't a big job if they can send the part and you can DIY, or take to a 'local' computer chap?

Possibly, I'll have to check.

6 hours ago, @Lee said:

Only time I use the laptop keyboard is when it's out away somewhere with me which isn't often. 

Honestly that's what I did with my old one, but this one is a better form factor so I stopped using my USB Keyboard.

13 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Might not be the keyboard, it might be the cable, either damaged or just come out a bit. Trouble is these new laptops aren't as easy to get into as the old ones. 

• Like 1

It rained yet again, the fourth day in a row that BBC Weather didn't forecast - so my newly laid turf is now 6 inches (15cm) tall and desperately needs cutting.

Please can we have better weather forecasts that are at least accurate for the next day  :wall:

5 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

Please can we have better weather forecasts that are at least accurate for the next day

Id settle for 4 hrs accurate prediction...