Sasha’s Octavia vRS

I gather a DSG equipped 1.6 would be a better choice with a taller final drive and less gaps between the gears. It’s just a shame it took VAG so long to sort a 6 speed box for the 1.6 and then they only fit it to half the range! The Superb has a 6 speed box with the 1.6, but the Octy doesn’t. Crap really.

• Like 1

On the infotainment we have the Bolero RCD510 in the MK2 Octy, Columbus MIB1 in the Mk3 Octy and Amundsen MIB2 in the Yeti.

Between the 3 the Columbus has the glorious big screen obviously but the absolute killer feature for me is Android Auto on the MIB2 in the Yeti. I use nav alot and Skoda Nav is clunky and Traffic info is sketchy. The ability to use Google Maps or Waze is massive benefit and so is the full voice control of phone, nav and music.

But for all that the old setup in our Octy Mk2 is the best sounding with proper depth and bass. The newer MIB1 and 2 sound thin in comparison.

Lee

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, logiclee said:

On the infotainment we have the Bolero RCD510 in the MK2 Octy, Columbus MIB1 in the Mk3 Octy and Amundsen MIB2 in the Yeti.

Between the 3 the Columbus has the glorious big screen obviously but the absolute killer feature for me is Android Auto. I use nav alot and Skoda Nav is clunky and Traffic info is sketchy. The ability to use Google Maps or Waze is massive benefit and so is the full voice control of phone, nav and music.

But for all that the old setup in our Octy Mk2 is the best sounding with proper depth and bass. The newer MIB1 and 2 sound thin in comparison.

Lee

Shame Apple don’t allow the iPhone to use Waze or Google maps on the car play! 

I suppose i could always by ways by a cheap phone and download the google maps offline maybe? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

I gather a DSG equipped 1.6 would be a better choice with a taller final drive and less gaps between the gears. It’s just a shame it took VAG so long to sort a 6 speed box for the 1.6 and then they only fit it to half the range! The Superb has a 6 speed box with the 1.6, but the Octy doesn’t. Crap really.

Whichever way you look at it, there’s no substitute for sheer grunt. My Octy 1.4 TSi with the DSG-7 has been a really sweet combo, but by crikey do I hark back to the V70 2.5T which preceded it. I just never had to worry - turn on the tap, out came the torque.

Edited by MorrisOx
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Madmax889 said:

Shame Apple don’t allow the iPhone to use Waze or Google maps on the car play! 

I suppose i could always by ways by a cheap phone and download the google maps offline maybe? 

You could do that but you would still need data for live traffic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

The DAB Radio function is as present on my car as it is on the 2018 model so really the only thing that CarPlay gives me that I want is increased music streaming functionality. I would like to improve that, but for now I am happy with what I have :)

In terms of streaming music, I find the ‘14 Columbus perfectly adequate.

Allows me to control everything I need from either the MFSW or head unit. 

e.g. track selection, fast fwd, rwd, pause, mute, etc etc. 

I use Amazon Music or Spotify. Am I missing something functionality-wise? 

Edited by dunc69
  • Like 1

The Bolero BT music is good for the basics and gives track ID, skip, pause volume etc but only within a pre defined playlist, I’d have to select that on my phone whereas CarPlay uses the screen and a simplified set of menus. It’s not a big deal though and now I have my car back I’m more sure I can live with the system I have. It’s still a nice system to use IMO considering that (by modern media integration standards) it’s an outdated system. I knew all that when I bought it though and I decided then that the other toys, performance and looks of this car were worth it over a slightly newer 150 TDi SE-L and I still happily stand by that decision.

• Like 1

On 31/1/2018 at 21:20, SashaGrace said:

Ever so slightly with the lights set in Sport mode. I have my lights in Sport and the cornering function is much more pronounced and fluid as the projector swivels. The guy who uses this car is going to hate me; I think I've changed every setting haha. I'll put them all back before I leave it with them :)

Hi Sasha,

I have the LED lights in my new 18 Octavia and they don’t “bend” like the Xenons but the corner function does come on when cornering but not the same IMHO. My previous 2011 Octavia had the Xenons and they swivelled.

When I start the car, the LED lights move up and down and then settle in their position. With the xenons, they both moved up and down but also swung left and right independently before settling into position (always like that effect!). 

Wonder how how difficult it would have been for Skoda to develop the LED light to bend like the xenons?

Cheers, Sean

PS. Swapped out the interior lights for LED - amazed at the difference!  Never considered doing anything like this with the previous Octavia.....  

PPS. Also bought OBDEleven PRO and waiting for delivery. Might be asking you for some assistance on coding when I begging to play and have no credits left!! 

8D86B876-288B-4097-BDF1-D0ACA51BD4D8.jpeg

D846B148-5E3F-4796-941C-8C8238444CB0.jpeg

5423776D-F4D3-45D4-AF82-2AD32D62E9D7.jpeg

7E87FAB3-5521-4EE8-98CC-27EA3CF1060E.jpeg

CBF68C66-368E-4874-B3F6-17725EFF9BB3.jpeg

86E00670-0BEB-4693-8600-F52E3E18FAB1.jpeg

E4D4B4A4-AB05-43B6-937A-0630446A46A5.jpeg

• Like 1

Yeah the matrix lights for the corner function don’t do a little dance like the xenons do, but I guess they don’t have to test a range of movement in the same way. The LED system is preferable to manufacturers because it is essentially cheaper to make. The Leon got it first and now the Octy has it, so the high beam LED’s are extra bulbs rather than an adjustment in the projector lense so the lights don’t appear to ‘see’ around bends in the same way the xenons do. The very front of the car and road signs are better lit with the LED’s though I find.

LED interior lighting is on my mod list, such a nice upgrade, it’s just placing the order and LED plate modules too.

I do like that spec; the Sportline is not a trim we get in the UK. Shame as it looks really nice!

I don’t know how much coding help I will be as they have changed the adaptation channels on the facelift but I believe fan lights in auto mode and HBA have been done along with a few other things :)

Edited by SashaGrace

8 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Yeah the matrix lights for the corner function don’t do a little dance like the xenons do, but I guess they don’t have to test a range of movement in the same way. The LED system is preferable to manufacturers because it is essentially cheaper to make. The Leon got it first and now the Octy has it, so the high beam LED’s are extra bulbs rather than an adjustment in the projector lense so the lights don’t appear to ‘see’ around bends in the same way the xenons do. The very front of the car and road signs are better lit with the LED’s though I find.

LED interior lighting is on my mod list, such a nice upgrade, it’s just placing the order and LED plate modules too.

I do like that spec; the Sportline is not a trim we get in the UK. Shame as it looks really nice!

I don’t know how much coding help I will be as they have changed the adaptation channels on the facelift but I believe fan lights in auto mode and HBA have been done along with a few other things :)

I added a “few” extras to the build over and above the Sportline spec (which is on top of the Style spec). 

Included HBA and Park Pilot so camera is installed. Want to see how I can configure Traffic Sign and if Lane Assit will work.  

861B8A0A-131F-44A0-90E7-3867593809FC.png

• Like 1

I wonder if it’s the park assist that needs the better camera? On the SE-L I had HBA was installed but it didn’t have the higher spec camera, only the smaller camera. Seemed a bit dim witted next to mine with the higher spec camera.

4 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

I wonder if it’s the park assist that needs the better camera? On the SE-L I had HBA was installed but it didn’t have the higher spec camera, only the smaller camera. Seemed a bit dim witted next to mine with the higher spec camera.

No, it’s the lane Assist which needs the A5 camera module.

• Like 1

So how do I find out which spec camera I have? That will help solve the question about getting Traffic and Lane assist enabled (if at all!)?

• Like 1

Having had a proper look at the pics there, looks like you don’t have the higher spec lane assist camera. It’s a big camera and takes up a huge amount of space on the top of the screen. Sadly, doesn’t look like you’ll be able to retrofit TSR or lane assist.

• Sad 1

On 2/2/2018 at 23:46, SashaGrace said:

Having had a proper look at the pics there, looks like you don’t have the higher spec lane assist camera. It’s a big camera and takes up a huge amount of space on the top of the screen. Sadly, doesn’t look like you’ll be able to retrofit TSR or lane assist.

Bummer!

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, SeanG said:

Bummer!

TSR is poor IMO, I enabled it last week and drove from Leeds to London and back over the weekend, 50% of the time the speed shown was incorrect. I have the lane assist camera and Amundsen Sat nav so expected better. Much easier to just look at the road signs!

Lane assist was disabled on day 1, I didn't like the way the steering wheel took control, didn't feel right at all.

Edited by Dave77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find my TSR is really accurate and I don’t have nav. It does lock on to the signs on the back of lorries and buses etc occasionally but it is a cool feature IMO. If you turn the adaptive lane guidance off it is much better IMO. I thought it’d be a gimmick but I really like it. Each to their own though :)

4 hours ago, Dave77 said:

TSR is poor IMO, I enabled it last week and drove from Leeds to London and back over the weekend, 50% of the time the speed shown was incorrect. I have the lane assist camera and Amundsen Sat nav so expected better. Much easier to just look at the road signs!

Lane assist was disabled on day 1, I didn't like the way the steering wheel took control, didn't feel right at all.

I'm surprised at that as mine changes the second

it clocks a sign. In fact it's flawless.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, arnold said:

I'm surprised at that as mine changes the second

it clocks a sign. In fact it's flawless.

It seemed okay with full size signs but didn't pick up repeater signs, often showing 30 instead of 20. I do get the warning now and then though saying "Traffic sign recognition: restricted."

Edited by Dave77
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

Is that a MIB1 Amundsen? The warning shouldn’t come on MIB2 Amundsen cars. Admittedly mine is much better in the daylight than at night.

It does on the MIB 2 as well but only in off road car parks etc. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

I find my TSR is really accurate and I don’t have nav. It does lock on to the signs on the back of lorries and buses etc occasionally but it is a cool feature IMO. If you turn the adaptive lane guidance off it is much better IMO. I thought it’d be a gimmick but I really like it. Each to their own though :)

I just found it too unreliable. Things like driving on a national speed limit road, driving past a road with a 20 sign on it, and then TSR would report the speed limit as 20. Also have the issue with lorries as well. But it does behave better when abroad.

It just means I can't trust the speed it displays.

• Like 1