Sasha’s Octavia vRS

8 minutes ago, 59p said:

Hi Sasha, what you using to code in? VCDS or another lead/software? 

OBDEleven for now, though I am tempted with VCP, so maybe I’ll go for that. Need to do the lane assist camera firmware update but seeing as that’s the only thing I want to do that VCP can do that OBDEleven can’t I am questioning why I need to spend the £££ on it rather than trying to have someone else do it. That said though if we change the Citigo for a Fabia 2 and it doesn’t come with a Maxidot I will need VCP to read the EEPROM data so maybe I’ll get it anyway.

5 minutes ago, DEZMONDE said:

That looks epic

Here it is in action!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Oh yeah!!!! It’s finally sorted, a couple of adaptations and coding changes guided by the genius that is @pab567 I have finally got the map mode working and it is awesome B):inlove: So it’s confirmed that you don’t need a new CAN Gateway. Steering wheel controls next and fingers crossed it’ll be done.

68B76D9B-C464-41A6-B8C8-21D95E9AF610.thumb.jpeg.7ab1fdd72aff66a895c4ebf6703d7d5e.jpeg

27C1749F-E217-4476-81D9-72B7D1875DFE.thumb.jpeg.edf7196531fc04ebfad5284e01c76d0a.jpeg

864F9A7B-3F1B-463F-BC75-392952269F0F.thumb.jpeg.d11025fdb7b3cbfd32f24ea855d9e84f.jpeg

So what does the CAN Gateway actually do??

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Maverick567 said:

So what does the CAN Gateway actually do??

Gateways the CAN of course :rofl: I don’t know haha, it links the cars CANBUS systems up in some way.

19 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Olly Murs, REALLY you have improve what you listen to, it's letting the photo's down.B)

Hey, nowt wrong with Olly! But I wanted something from the SD card on so I could check the image transfer was working while I was playing with the coding :) 

Edited by SashaGrace
Spelling
  • Haha 1

Just now, SashaGrace said:

Gateways the CAN of course :rofl: I don’t know haha, it links the cars CANBUS systems up in some way.

Hey, nowt wrong with Olly! But I wanted something from the SD card on so I could check the image transfer was wiring while I was playing with the coding :) 

I hate to ask, but what was the ballpark cost?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maverick567 said:

I hate to ask, but what was the ballpark cost?

So far just over £900 after selling my old radio stuff. Also got the old cluster to sell. Need to add steering wheel controls to the list as well!

• Thanks 1

A relative bargain, looked into doing this with my 2015 Superb and its coming in at around £2.5k :o

I was quite happy with my L&K’s dash until I coded a Kodiaq with the VC! :D

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

A relative bargain, looked into doing this with my 2015 Superb and its coming in at around £2.5k :o

I was quite happy with my L&K’s dash until I coded a Kodiaq with the VC! :D

Haha, it’s a cool mod I must admit. I imagine a Superb dash to be very expensive! I got very lucky with the price of the dash which is what has made it such a reasonably priced upgrade.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

OBDEleven for now, though I am tempted with VCP, so maybe I’ll go for that. Need to do the lane assist camera firmware update but seeing as that’s the only thing I want to do that VCP can do that OBDEleven can’t I am questioning why I need to spend the £££ on it rather than trying to have someone else do it. That said though if we change the Citigo for a Fabia 2 and it doesn’t come with a Maxidot I will need VCP to read the EEPROM data so maybe I’ll get it anyway.

Excuse my lack of knowledge but what on earth is EEPROM data? And what else does VCP offer? 

• Like 1

Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory :) It’s a kind of memory. Being able to read this data is important if doing cluster swaps etc. It can flash software, load container files and unlock video in motion among other things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory :) It’s a kind of memory. Being able to read this data is important if doing cluster swaps etc. It can flash software, load container files and unlock video in motion among other things.

Wow wouldn't want to try to say that down the pub after a few pints of Ireland's finest.:x

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

Can the VC display maps from carplay or android auto?

I think that is highly unlikely unfortunately. It's a shame seeing as the inbuilt maps are so rubbish!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

have to say that looks the business. love it.

Thanks very much :)

55 minutes ago, wg100 said:

Hope you've been documenting your process. You're definitely a forum leader for modifications!

What you see here as far the steps in the process is all I can show on this one really, I’m sworn to secrecy regarding some of sadly. Some of the people who have helped have asked me not to redistribute the coding.

33 minutes ago, ahenners said:

VC with map display looks awesome, so much want! B)

Haha thanks! It may be more complex than changing the car but it is certainly cheaper.

14 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

It can’t. It doesn’t on an OEM fit either sadly. The only one that does is the one on the TT because it doesn’t have a second media screen.

7 minutes ago, wg100 said:

I think that is highly unlikely unfortunately. It's a shame seeing as the inbuilt maps are so rubbish!

Correct, however the MIB2.5 Columbus maps are awesome and the 3D mode is very good. They are much improved over the Amundsen maps :)

With the number of parts swaps that you've done to that poor Octavia I think you should change your forum name to Dr FrankenSkoda.  I can just imagine the moment the VCD sprang to life. "My monster, It Lives, IT LIVES !!!!  Bwahahahahahah"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, widdershins said:

With the number of parts swaps that you've done to that poor Octavia I think you should change your forum name to Dr FrankenSkoda.  I can just imagine the moment the VCD sprang to life. "My monster, It Lives, IT LIVES !!!!  Bwahahahahahah"

Haha, it spent its first 3 years mod free so I'm just making up for it. A massive Cheshire Cat smile crept over my face when the map came on not gunna lie :D 

1 hour ago, StealthRS245 said:

if you don't mind me asking, is that an oil temp gauge on the Sport display?

very handy!

It is :) can toggle them between water temp and oil temp. There are 4 gauges but 3 places for them. Can also toggle them on the Off-Road screen. 

12 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

What's the difference between OBDEleven, VCDS and VCP and which is better?  

• Like 1

OBDEleven is an android device and is very cheap for what it is and can do amazing things considering the price. I would always recommend one! Even if you are an iPhone user like me, get a cheap Android phone, it'll be worth it. It can do so much for under £60.

VCDS does the same and a handful of extra things but it requires a laptop to run and IMO it's expensive for what it is and the cables are now VIN locked and you can choose to pay for how many VIN's you want the cable to work on. They also keep the cables regularly updated and keep bringing out new ones and keeping up with that for the latest cars can be quite expensive.

VCP can make the most changes as listed before but it's less user friendly. It's about the same price as VCDS but the cable isn't VIN locked AFAIK. 

To answer the question which is better really depends on what you want to do. If you aren't planning on flashing software or any serious coding/retrofits and you maybe want to do the odd coding tweak and have a good diagnostic tool I would go for OBDEleven. If you want the do it all most powerful tool, go for VCP but beware you can cause the most damage with this if you get it wrong. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

5 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

t can’t. It doesn’t on an OEM fit either sadly. The only one that does is the one on the TT because it doesn’t have a second media screen.

I glad you pointed that out as during my search late last night for a Superb VC they had this photo 

812318661_ScreenShot2019-02-05at01_35_24.thumb.png.3c6f297683e6841440e1c070bd1cbaaa.png

BUT on closer inspection it is clearly a TT VC (a bit naughty having it under the listing for a Superb VC!) Not only do I tend to use google maps now but ideally I would have liked the above layout as for me I think it is better laid out.

This is either the Superb or Octavia VC map

1538484727_ScreenShot2019-02-05at01_35_44.thumb.png.258ad6515556fd6f199573a52b83a145.png

2 hours ago, 59p said:

What's the difference between OBDEleven, VCDS and VCP and which is better?  

2 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

OBDEleven is an android device and is very cheap for what it is and can do amazing things considering the price. I would always recommend one! Even if you are an iPhone user like me, get a cheap Android phone, it'll be worth it. It can do so much for under £60.

VCDS does the same and a handful of extra things but it requires a laptop to run and IMO it's expensive for what it is and the cables are now VIN locked and you can choose to pay for how many VIN's you want the cable to work on. They also keep the cables regularly updated and keep bringing out new ones and keeping up with that for the latest cars can be quite expensive.

VCP can make the most changes as listed before but it's less user friendly. It's about the same price as VCDS but the cable isn't VIN locked AFAIK. 

To answer the question which is better really depends on what you want to do. If you aren't planning on flashing software or any serious coding/retrofits and you maybe want to do the odd coding tweak and have a good diagnostic tool I would go for OBDEleven. If you want the do it all most powerful tool, go for VCP but beware you can cause the most damage with this if you get it wrong. 

This pretty much sums it up.

VCDS it the original and what has been copied by the rest and is probably the safest, no it isn’t cheap but it has just gone a complete overhaul and the old cables are still selling for more than they cost new, the newer ones however as Sasha pointed out are limited to the number of VIN’s (3, 10 or unlimited) however you do get free updates and support for life.

VCP can do more (uploading new files to controllers, VIM etc) but it can also screw your car up easier as it is nowhere near as user freindly (neither do you get warning if you are about to change something that is irreversible, like you do with VCDS) it also requires a yearly subscription for updates and downloading files (which are locked to your interface, so you cannot swap them with others) the hardware is also not as good a quality, neither is the support.

OBDEleven / Carista etc, personally I have never used them, but there are loads of people who have cocked up coding with them, which can be a nightmare to undo, this could be user error (as the cheaper something is to buy the less owners tend to research properly before changing things) but it may also be the software??? 

I own VCDS and VCP but I ALWAYS use VCDS first, I only use VCP for things that VCDS cannot do.

So the ‘best’ really depends on what you intend using it for, but personally for me, VCDS wins hands down.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

I glad you pointed that out as during my search late last night for a Superb VC they had this photo 

812318661_ScreenShot2019-02-05at01_35_24.thumb.png.3c6f297683e6841440e1c070bd1cbaaa.png

BUT on closer inspection it is clearly a TT VC (a bit naughty having it under the listing for a Superb VC!) Not only do I tend to use google maps now but ideally I would have liked the above layout as for me I think it is better laid out.

This is either the Superb or Octavia VC map

1538484727_ScreenShot2019-02-05at01_35_44.thumb.png.258ad6515556fd6f199573a52b83a145.png

This pretty much sums it up.

VCDS it the original and what has been copied by the rest and is probably the safest, no it isn’t cheap but it has just gone a complete overhaul and the old cables are still selling for more than they cost new, the newer ones however as Sasha pointed out are limited to the number of VIN’s (3, 10 or unlimited) however you do get free updates and support for life.

VCP can do more (uploading new files to controllers, VIM etc) but it can also screw your car up easier as it is nowhere near as user freindly (neither do you get warning if you are about to change something that is irreversible, like you do with VCDS) it also requires a yearly subscription for updates and downloading files (which are locked to your interface, so you cannot swap them with others) the hardware is also not as good a quality, neither is the support.

OBDEleven / Carista etc, personally I have never used them, but there are loads of people who have cocked up coding with them, which can be a nightmare to undo, this could be user error (as the cheaper something is to buy the less owners tend to research properly before changing things) but it may also be the software??? 

I own VCDS and VCP but I ALWAYS use VCDS first, I only use VCP for things that VCDS cannot do.

So the ‘best’ really depends on what you intend using it for, but personally for me, VCDS wins hands down.

Thanks to both for the detailed responses. I actually own a Ross Tech Micro Can cable which came with mk 2 Leon Cupra and kept after selling the car. Should come handy now I'm back in the VAG group.

• Like 1

On 14/12/2018 at 22:42, SashaGrace said:

I always hated the boot lights on this car and putting LED’s in the original holders wasn’t doing it for me so I invested in £6.50’s worth of China’s finest LED panel boot lights and they are great! Don’t be fooled by the wiring loom, just unplug that and plug the OEM loom into the other socket then reinstall into the boot panel. Lovely :)

9314140A-C887-4A73-9213-5FB3D24FDD55.thumb.jpeg.dfd42e7366ed02b5d6e67ea09e9f3f4c.jpeg

5D3910A6-0686-404E-B831-8CD300FCCCA3.thumb.jpeg.655dc3467c4a46bb21c1fe5a361cbf16.jpeg

2E6B84FB-9086-4E85-A8FF-F6193645CC2B.thumb.jpeg.e37ab51389258de97b08a1b35ba41922.jpeg

Link https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ceXaT9rj

I tried to use these(but from ebay) and when the engine is running, and when I open any doors, the boot is flashing like it was opening and closing really fast..... hmmmm. Dont you experience such thing ? (2016 vRS TDi)

Edited by fat4l
  • Like 1