1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

I've seen a lot of messages in this topic of earlier Karoqs having problems with the engine losing power when pulling away, but has anyone with the latest models had the problem? The reason I ask is that my wife's Karoq, built week 12th August 2019 has had this problem 4 times since she got it at the beginning of October 2019, the most recent being just after the commencement of lockdown. The previous 3 occasions were reported to our dealer & they looked at the car, gave it a test drive, & didn't find a problem.

I insisted the dealer logged the reported problem with Skoda so that in the event of others reporting the same fault, at least then there would be a record, & hopefully a fix eventually.

18 minutes ago, wharferat said:

I've seen a lot of messages in this topic of earlier Karoqs having problems with the engine losing power when pulling away, but has anyone with the latest models had the problem? The reason I ask is that my wife's Karoq, built week 12th August 2019 has had this problem 4 times since she got it at the beginning of October 2019, the most recent being just after the commencement of lockdown. The previous 3 occasions were reported to our dealer & they looked at the car, gave it a test drive, & didn't find a problem.

I insisted the dealer logged the reported problem with Skoda so that in the event of others reporting the same fault, at least then there would be a record, & hopefully a fix eventually.

Can we assume that your car has had the various software fixes?

4 minutes ago, StEdmund said:

Can we assume that your car has had the various software fixes?

We received an email 23rd August; 

"It’s still showing in the factory,

Skoda have announced there will be some temporary delays in some of the TSI models,

Yours is already built though, but is being held at factory for technical data/certificate of conformity."

When taking delivery we were assured that the first gear issue had been sorted out & shouldn't be a problem. By that I would assume that all software updates/modifications would have been applied prior to the vehicle leaving the factory. 

The email you received mentioning the 'certificate of conformity' was likely all around the struggle Skoda (and VAG) were having getting all of their engine configurations through the WLTP emissions test procedures before the deadline...

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/vw-daimler-brace-new-wltp-headache

There have definitely been 1.5 TSI's built after yours that have shown the issues described in this and the many other threads.

4 hours ago, wharferat said:

When taking delivery we were assured that the first gear issue had been sorted out & shouldn't be a problem. By that I would assume that all software updates/modifications would have been applied prior to the vehicle leaving the factory. 

I understand that your Karoq is about a year younger than mine - and the 'engine losing power when pulling away' was certainly a characteristic on my Karoq. It happened about once a month, and when it did, it was pretty terrifying - hence the reason for many of us contacting the DVSA. The first software update cured that particular problem, but it needed a second update to sort out the kangarooing when pulling away.

Edited by StEdmund
error

Hello! My Karoq was manufactured on September 19, 2019 with a DPCA engine, 1.5 TSI, 6m. There is certainly no kangaroo effect and no power loss. 3600 km have been traveled.
Sorry for the bad English

1 hour ago, blindbard said:

Hello! My Karoq was manufactured on September 19, 2019 with a DPCA engine, 1.5 TSI, 6m. There is certainly no kangaroo effect and no power loss. 3600 km have been traveled.
Sorry for the bad English

Seems VAG have stuck two fingers up to all those who have been shafted by them with the previous models of this engine and (amazingly in such a relatively short time) brought out this variant for all future sales. 

Personally I cannot wait to get rid of my Karoq later this year and be done with them!

Hope all goes well for you and there's nowt up with thee English it's better than marn and I was bone and bred theer! ;-D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JakeB1941 said:

Seems VAG have stuck two fingers up to all those who have been shafted by them with the previous models of this engine and (amazingly in such a relatively short time) brought out this variant for all future sales. 

Personally I cannot wait to get rid of my Karoq later this year and be done with them!

Yet on 28th December you wrote: "Well my Karoq has performed very well since the update..."

That hardly squares with VW Group sticking two fingers up at their customers, quite the opposite.

Yes you are quite right and I am sorry about that and I have been somewhat embarrassed to not report that during January when my mileage increased considerably during cold morning starts the kangaroo was back! This on top of a wheel baring needing replacing and all the previous inconvenience etc has ****ed me off completely. 

Is you car really faulty?

If I understand you right - the kangarooing had disappeared and you were happy with the car, then the problem returns but in the couple of postings you've made since then, whilst continuing the negativity theme towards the model, you failed to mention problems with your own car? Did you also fail to mention the return of kangarooing to Skoda service or is there a story there too you forgot to mention?  The reason I'm asking is I find it weird that for someone who's posted several times, you didn't update on your own experiences.

The 'Kangarooing' issue was sorted out as is the case with numerous posts from owners across all VAG group products, and, I'll say it again by you too.  From all the evidence it would appear VAG have sorted the problem and clearly this indicates that the company have not as you suggest, stuck two fingers up at their customers so it's fake news to say they have.  Now whether VAG have been able to restore confidence with certain customers is a whole different ball game, because once someone has it in to their head their car is faulty, there's nothing ever going to change that. And that's something I can appreciate because my confidence would be knocked too.  Once confindence goes then best thing the customer can do is move on to another brand.

As for bearings needing replacing? I apologise if I've mis-understood, but from that post dated 28th Dec, you come over as suggesting that's related to the kangarooing? Its there any mechanical theory behind that allegation or are we entering the world of armchair experts?  For all the posts I've read on Skoda, as well as other VW Group products on the kangarooing issue, not once have I read about wheel bearings needing replaced. I certainly can't think of any explanation of why a wheel bearing would would be affected by kangarooing. ( If anyone else does, perhaps they could share it with us? )  When the bearing is changed, you could ask why it needed changing. It may of course have been a manufacturing defect but if you car hasn't covered many miles then it's possible there could have been pothole / kerb damage that caused the bearing to wear prematurely and fail. You'll never know until the part is examined but there more chance of wheel bearing failure due to hitting a Kangaroo than by kangarooing. :D

Whatever car you replace your Karoq with, good luck with nothing ever going wrong with it. In fact if you could tell us which car you intend to replace it with, I'm sure someone ( probably me :D ) will be able to dig up from it's user forum about problems with that car, with their rip off dealership and clueless servicing dept, and their customer service being ineffective, etc.  It happens to them all and we've all experienced it at sometime or other.

31 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

As for bearings needing replacing? I apologise if I've mis-understood, but from that post dated 28th Dec, you come over as suggesting that's related to the kangarooing?

Can you point out the bit, please, that makes you think that Jake is associating failed wheel bearings with kangarooing? 

I had to go out last night to get fuel as tank was around 1/4 full and after reading that it is better to have full if car sat idle for days I decided to risk a trip to Tesco.

What I noticed was the real hesitancy of the car on start up and it just was not smooth at low gears. I am driving it once a week and it just seemed less than smooth. Not kangaroo but certainly not like my wife's car.

I don't think they have fixed it imo but the car got me to where I wanted so it worked...

Scott, i will be checking Kia out when we are allowed back out, if you can dig up horror stories would love to read them about Kia's.

;)

Those with a TSI with a GPF and it sitting unused need to think on the brakes with a little rust on the discs and maybe the brakes grinding a little until cleaned off.

Then a cold start after sitting and the petrol in the tank might have been there since before the end of March so is the winter formula.

Maybe none of which will have any affect on the cars running, but at least give it a though.

Also if the battery is still starting the car after sitting, and you go a mile or 3 with the car you are really not getting the charge back into the battery on such a short trip, plus on the next start maybe just the car will feel just not right until it gets a few miles under the tyres.

Remember and check tyres condition and pressures as the days get longer, the weather warmer and the sun shines more.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/479195-car-behaving-strangely

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

1 hour ago, Scot5 said:

Is you car really faulty?

If I understand you right - the kangarooing had disappeared and you were happy with the car, then the problem returns but in the couple of postings you've made since then, whilst continuing the negativity theme towards the model, you failed to mention problems with your own car? Did you also fail to mention the return of kangarooing to Skoda service or is there a story there too you forgot to mention?  The reason I'm asking is I find it weird that for someone who's posted several times, you didn't update on your own experiences.

The 'Kangarooing' issue was sorted out as is the case with numerous posts from owners across all VAG group products, and, I'll say it again by you too.  From all the evidence it would appear VAG have sorted the problem and clearly this indicates that the company have not as you suggest, stuck two fingers up at their customers so it's fake news to say they have.  Now whether VAG have been able to restore confidence with certain customers is a whole different ball game, because once someone has it in to their head their car is faulty, there's nothing ever going to change that. And that's something I can appreciate because my confidence would be knocked too.  Once confindence goes then best thing the customer can do is move on to another brand.

As for bearings needing replacing? I apologise if I've mis-understood, but from that post dated 28th Dec, you come over as suggesting that's related to the kangarooing? Its there any mechanical theory behind that allegation or are we entering the world of armchair experts?  For all the posts I've read on Skoda, as well as other VW Group products on the kangarooing issue, not once have I read about wheel bearings needing replaced. I certainly can't think of any explanation of why a wheel bearing would would be affected by kangarooing. ( If anyone else does, perhaps they could share it with us? )  When the bearing is changed, you could ask why it needed changing. It may of course have been a manufacturing defect but if you car hasn't covered many miles then it's possible there could have been pothole / kerb damage that caused the bearing to wear prematurely and fail. You'll never know until the part is examined but there more chance of wheel bearing failure due to hitting a Kangaroo than by kangarooing. :D

Whatever car you replace your Karoq with, good luck with nothing ever going wrong with it. In fact if you could tell us which car you intend to replace it with, I'm sure someone ( probably me :D ) will be able to dig up from it's user forum about problems with that car, with their rip off dealership and clueless servicing dept, and their customer service being ineffective, etc.  It happens to them all and we've all experienced it at sometime or other.

Wow! 

Scot5 (or Sherlock if you prefer)

What I have posted is correct, my car was doing well since the April update apart from the slight jerk when pulling away and in all other respects it is a good car and I have said so. However after 8 months for the kangaroo to come back (for whatever reason) is to me further evidence that the fault has not been properly resolved.  The baring gave up the ghost and was fully investigated by my dealer and the cause put down to a faulty baring being installed and has nothing to do with kangarooing, potholes or a curse from VAG!

You may have plenty of time to drive to your dealer and question them about this and that but I certainly do not and why on earth should I have to? Having owned many cars over the years from new including two previous Skoda models this is the first one which had safety issues which were not accepted by the manufacturer and was followed by a long wait for a  solution to the so called `characteristic` (which was their description of it) indicates to me a serious problem with customer relations hence I`m out a here!

Thank you for your contribution and your wit, it is after all the best form of flattery so they say. 🥱

• Like 1

I've done nearly 50k in my 1.5TSI in over 2 years. I reported all of the issues within a week of receiving the car.  I had every excuse in the book thrown at my like it was my driving style, it was because I was used to a diesel and it needed to bed in!

The best one was don't believe everything you read on forums!!!!  Any way I had the 'update' a few months ago and it did make it a lot better.

The strange thing now is the turbo noise sounds like i'm a boy racer driving a subaru. Not been able to take it in because of lockdown  

• Like 1

It is amazing how some defend the indefensible behaviours from Multi Nationals just because they have not experienced the issues others have.

The numbers being treated like crap by VW Group in particular might only number in the thousands or tens of thousands globally, but they were the ones that dropped Das Auto after having been caught as liars and cheats and said they were winning back customer trust with 'Honest first'.

Only problem is they are liars and cheats in the Senior Management and Board or Directors.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sieski said:

I've done nearly 50k in my 1.5TSI in over 2 years. I reported all of the issues within a week of receiving the car.  I had every excuse in the book thrown at my like it was my driving style, it was because I was used to a diesel and it needed to bed in!

The best one was don't believe everything you read on forums!!!!  Any way I had the 'update' a few months ago and it did make it a lot better.

The strange thing now is the turbo noise sounds like i'm a boy racer driving a subaru. Not been able to take it in because of lockdown  

Mine is MY18 and has exactly the same behavior. Kangaroo is almost solved but still a slight hickup at times but not repetitive in order to be dangerous and annoying.

In addition i do agree that it has become noisier since the update done. I do not know if its the turbo or something else but how can a software change affect the engine noise.

Scot 5,

Do you work for the VAG public relations department?

Perhaps you ought to read the several hundred posts on here from disgruntled drivers of Karoq 1.5's and other VAG group cars  before applauding VAG for solving things.

You may be fortunate in having a decent main dealer close by who has sorted your car to your satisfaction but from evidence on here you are in the minority.

You do not appear to even drive a Karoq !

Perhaps you also applaud VAG's "Dieselgate" saga?

Hi I was intending to purchase a SKODA KAROQ 1.5 TSI (150PS) SE L ACT DSG (69 model). after hearing about the kangaroo issue with this engine I am a little worried. Am I at risk of running into these problems or is it just the manual? 

Here is the link to the specific car https://usedcars.skoda.co.uk/en/used-cars/skoda/karoq/edition-15-tsi-150-ps-dsg-jqb8sb4

10 minutes ago, opb1 said:

Hi I was intending to purchase a SKODA KAROQ 1.5 TSI (150PS) SE L ACT DSG (69 model). after hearing about the kangaroo issue with this engine I am a little worried. Am I at risk of running into these problems or is it just the manual? 

Here is the link to the specific car https://usedcars.skoda.co.uk/en/used-cars/skoda/karoq/edition-15-tsi-150-ps-dsg-jqb8sb4

We have owned the manual version since Jan 2018 with this engine and thankfully the software patch the dealer applied last year solved the hesitation issues. The reports for the DSG model suggested there were stalling issues pulling out of T-Junctions and when pulling onto roundabouts so I would really recommend having a long and thorough test drive of the exact model you intend to buy before making any decision. If the car has any problems it will be most noticeable when the engine is cold (not upto temperature) and in 1st or 2nd gear. Hopefully they have resolved the problem thought to be with a lack of torque at low revs to do with the alternator by the time 69 reg cars came along but best to be certain.:wondering:

Edited by shyVRS245
missing word
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, opb1 said:

We have a 68 plate 1.5 DSG (registered about Sept/Oct/Nov 2018) which we bought May 2019.  At its first service in Sept-Nov 2019 it had a software update (sorry - don't know if it was 1 or 2 updates).

Before the update it would hesitate a bit when cold but the first 300 yards from our drive was slight downhill (so no load on engine) and 6 90 degree bends and so was in 1st or 2nd gear most of the time and it would hesitate a the chicane halfway when I need to brake to slow down and the engine was trying to run at 1000rpm in second but was thinking about changing down etc.  Once out of out cul-de-sac and onto a better road it pulled away ok up through the gears.  So it did not like slow speed when cold.

The software update has resolved 95% of the cold downhill start and it is more like a normal cold automatic that is struggling to work out which gear and what rpm at the same point.  Our previous CVT Jazz had no problem with the cold downhill start.  We have had other automatics (Volvo 240, Mondeo 2.0 and others) and NONE have exhibited these problems (which rather like driving a Morris Minor or old mini with not enough manual choke when cold!)

If you like this 69 plate you MUST go and see it and test drive - DO NOT buy without seeing.  When you test drive, the engine MUST be cold, as in cold from overnight.  If the dealer has moved the car during the  day before you try it,DO NOT test drive as the cold symptoms WILL NOT show up. 

DO NOT let the dealer run the engine and demo all the electric gizmos as running the engine for a few minutes (3-5 minutes) will warm the engine up enough to get rid of any cold symptoms.

When you first pull away from cold DO NOT let the engine go into third - I suggest you pull away to get the car moving into second and then stop the car and repeat 2 or 3 times.

We like our car .  I was not aware of the problem before buying and when the salesman demos the car we sat with the engine running for about 20 minutes in the dealership car park while the salesperson went through all the electric gizmos.  Would we have bought it knowing about the hestiation, probably not at the time - would have chosen a different engine perhaps or another car altogether.

But we like the car and it is ok now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, opb1 said:

I bought my Superb at the end of January this year. Mine is a manual. It has the same engine as the Karoq and was 6 months old when I bought it. Like you I was aware of the kangaroo/hesitation issues with the 1.5 engine so before I agreed to buy it I obtained a written (email) from the dealer agreeing that if the car had any of those issues they would take the car back and refund me the price I paid for it.  Three months later and I've had none of those issues. If the dealer refuses to agree the special conditions with regard to taking it back/refund then I would not buy it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1