1.5 SEL first gear issue.

Janner74

1 minute ago, kifir said:

I did not feel the kangaroo on the first day, it started later. 

The problem of a kangaroo is not at all 1.5, a lot of cars without this problem.

very cool that you are lucky!))

Thanks for the info. Reading this thread made me very anxious and I thought I would have to reject the car. But fortunately this car combined with this engine is great pleasure to drive, for me.
Anyway will give feedback again when more mileage. 

• Like 1

All these testimonies of cars not affected by the "bug" makes me believe the issue cannot be software related but more a specific part wrongly manufactured and installed only on some cars. It is well known that car manufacturers have contracts with more than one company to provide the same part for a specific vehicle. Maybe a future recall will bring this to light.

Edited by Abu
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Abu said:

All these testimonies of cars not affected by the "bug" makes me believe the issue cannot be software related but more a specific part wrongly manufactured and installed only on some cars.

Engines code DADA are all the same, the only difference are ECU and software, besides transmission and other equipment ...

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/446820-15-sel-first-gear-issue/?do=findComment&comment=5192634

Skoda cars with DADA engine, ther ECUs and PR codes of equipment

Kar
05E906018P DS9+G0K, G1C+TJ7+7MV
05E906018R DS9+G0K, G1C+TJ7+7CP from 30.7.2018
05E906018S DS9+G1D+TJ7+7CP from 26.11.2018

Kod
05E906018AF DS9+G0K, G1C+TJ7+7CP

SupIII
05E906018C  DS9+G0K+TJ7+7CP

OIII
05E906018A   DS9,TJ7+G0K, G1C+7MV till 1.10.2018
05E906018BH   DS9+G0K, G1C+TJ7+7MV  from 1.10.2018
05E906018AL    DS9+G0K, G1C+TJ7+7CP, 7CS   from 30.7.2018
05E906018L      G0K+MB1+T3K+7CS

PR-code meaning

TJ7  (4-cylinder SI engine 1.5 l unit 05E.A)
DS9  (4-cylinder SI engine 1.5 l/110 kW TSI MV base engine is TJ7)
G0K  (6-speed manual transmission)
G1C  (7-speed automatic transmission)
G1D  (7-speed automatic transmission for four-wheel drive)
7MV  (Emission standard EU6 ZD/E/F)
7CP  (Emission standard EU6 AG/H/I)
7CS  (Emission standard EU6 BG/H/I)

MB1  ((natural gas) base engine is T3K)
T3K   (4-cylinder SI engine 1.5 l unit 05E.B)

48 minutes ago, rayx said:

Engines code DADA are all the same, the only difference are ECU and software, besides transmission and other equipment ...

I understood correctly?

Does this prove that the problem is 100% in the firmware?

So, my 1.5 TSI 4x4 DSG will have an ECU not seen yet on any 1.5 (manual or DSG).
I'm optimistic, also because for this model the CO2 emissions go to a hefty 149 g/km, which hopefully indicates that they didn't skimp on fuel so much.

54 minutes ago, Abu said:

I find it hard to believe that all components come from the same manufacturer, including the various sensors that the ECU is using constantly. 

Warning! Start of xman rant!

You are right, VAG have at least 2 suppliers for ancillary parts such as sensors etc sometimes more. But any changes usually come in production batches, depending on procurement contracts/pricing etc. just like tyres.

If this problem was a mapping or firmware poor coding, it would have been resolved long ago, WLTP or type approval modification is not a year+ barrier to changes. 

If it were simply a poor sensor or component from a particular supplier, it would have identified and fixed even quicker.

This problem is what is called in industry an Edge case which may be due to an unidentified software bug/condition (unlikely I think), or a manufacturing issue (production tolerances / component performance variation etc ), or a subtle design error or as is often the case a combination/interaction of all three (nightmare scenario for the engineer tasked with resolving the issue)

In debugging/testing scenarios its very difficult to fix if you cant reliably and clearly reproduce the problem on a test bench. Young inexperienced engineers may be tempted to have "eureka" moments where they think they know what the problem is and quickly issue a workaround, then not continue to hunt down further problems until the complaints come flooding in. I'm fairly sure this is what has happened with the 70 deg C TPI.

VAG accountants try to force a policy of, if less than x% complain, just ignore and fob off, its not really a problem. Remember VAG has still multi billion and growing liabilities for diesel gate and lots on this forum have noted increasing difficulties of getting warranty or goodwill fixes i.e. unwillingness of VAG to foot the bill.

VAG have paved the way to abandon all 1.5tsi owners with "problems" in case they can't come up with a cost effective fix or one that works for everyone. Unwillingness/refusal to log customer complaints mean many will be left without Consumer rights protection after 6 months ownership.

End of xman rant

• Like 1

I've just visited a friend on a Caravan Club site, where they have a speed limit of 5 mph due to children on site etc. Left the site after an hour or so, engine had cooled down. It was impossible to drive around the site to the exit at such low speed i.e. needing to be in 1st gear (2nd too high). The car was kangarooing badly, has anybody else tried to drive any distance in 1st gear with a cool engine.

It was a b***** nightmare, looked like a right numpty kangarooing.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Did you drive it without pressing the gas pedal, so only by fully releasing the clutch - and thus, let the anti-stall take over? My car, if I do this, doesn't kangaroo at all. Only when I try to accelerate while releasing the clutch. If I first release the clutch and only after givie it gas, it goes without any hesitation.

59 minutes ago, Abu said:

Did you drive it without pressing the gas pedal, so only by fully releasing the clutch - and thus, let the anti-stall take over? My car, if I do this, doesn't kangaroo at all. Only when I try to accelerate while releasing the clutch. If I first release the clutch and only after givie it gas, it goes without any hesitation.

To move off with kangorooing, use either no gas pedal or lots of gas pedal (2000rpm) 

2 hours ago, R1200R said:

I've just visited a friend on a Caravan Club site, where they have a speed limit of 5 mph due to children on site etc. Left the site after an hour or so, engine had cooled down. It was impossible to drive around the site to the exit at such low speed i.e. needing to be in 1st gear (2nd too high). The car was kangarooing badly, has anybody else tried to drive any distance in 1st gear with a cool engine.

It was a b***** nightmare, looked like a right numpty kangarooing.

Drive it like you have stolen it, 5mph not a chance.

I'm just back from the theatre, cold engine, packed multi storey car park stop start - kangarooiing is a nightmare - sorry I dont think I can wait any longer for a 'fix'. Anyone tell me what the 2.0 diesel is like?

• Like 2

Watch this from about half way. 3 minute 30 seconds.

Some are like this, which is why people fit pedal boxes, talk about the Audi software, or leave the VW Group and buy from some other manufacturer that got WLPT Certification and have usable passenger cars.  (Or look for a 1.4TSI ACT or 1.4 TFSI COD.)

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, JeremyGi said:

I'm just back from the theatre, cold engine, packed multi storey car park stop start - kangarooiing is a nightmare - sorry I dont think I can wait any longer for a 'fix'. Anyone tell me what the 2.0 diesel is like?

Absolutely spot on. Had it one year now, and wouldn't change it for anything else at this price point. Even with DSG, it is giving better mpg than my previous 2.0 Kuga manual. The engine is ideally suited to this size of car, powerful enough for any situation - motorway driving, or just pootling around town. Contrary to  popular belief, I personally do not think diesel is the devils blood, and I don't give a witches t*t about councils that don't allow diesel engines into their cities. The future is not electric vehicles, as there will never be enough infrastructure to support the mass use of electrically-powered vehicles.

Oh, and it doesn't leap about like a demented space hopper! Watching Skoffski's video above just proves that the VAG 1.5 TSI will eventually kill someone.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JeremyGi said:

It's very nice as a DSG, no problems at all (touch wood)

1 hour ago, westie38 said:

Absolutely spot on. Had it one year now, and wouldn't change it for anything else at this price point. Even with DSG, it is giving better mpg than my previous 2.0 Kuga manual. The engine is ideally suited to this size of car, powerful enough for any situation - motorway driving, or just pootling around town. Contrary to  popular belief, I personally do not think diesel is the devils blood, and I don't give a witches t*t about councils that don't allow diesel engines into their cities. The future is not electric vehicles, as there will never be enough infrastructure to support the mass use of electrically-powered vehicles.

Oh, and it doesn't leap about like a demented space hopper! Watching Skoffski's video above just proves that the VAG 1.5 TSI will eventually kill someone.  

Agree with all you say:)

2 hours ago, westie38 said:

Yes, except you didn’t notice that the Ateca in the video was a DSG DIESEL.

@3:35 “A top spec Xcellence model with a 190hp diesel with 4WD and an automatic gearbox.”

Edited by Stevieweevie
Additional clarification
  • Thanks 1

Also, no offence, but suggesting that diesels aren’t on their way out for small passenger vehicles and that there’ll never be enough infrastructure for EVs is quite flatly wrong. I shan’t apologise for veering off topic with this because you’ve done it by saying these things.

Sales do diesel vehicles have dropped significantly. A number of vehicle manufacturers have discontinued diesel engines in their ranges, a few not producing any cars with a diesel power plant. You might not intend to stop buying diesel cars but you’ll be cornered when eventually there aren’t any left to buy. Electric infrastructure is coming along but like anything that is paradigm shifting it takes time. There is a chicken and egg situation with incentive to build infrastructure constrained by prevalence of vehicles requiring it and vice versa. That is slowly changing and EV is the future. You don’t have to accept it, or agree with it but you’re wrong to deny it because the change has already begun and it won’t suddenly pack up and go away.

23 minutes ago, Stevieweevie said:

Yes, except you didn’t notice that the Ateca in the video was a DSG DIESEL.

@3:35 “A top spec Xcellence model with a 190hp diesel with 4WD and an automatic gearbox.”

Thought it was only me that spotted the hesitant DSG DIESEL in the Ateca Honest John video. For a moment I thought I was going mad and it's not even APRIL 1ST yet.:thumbup: