What have you done to your Superb III today?

12 hours ago, digifish said:

JR RS How much have you spent on upgrades so far? :)

i have bad memory, hence i'm having trouble remembering wat i've done.  very very bad memory 😜

besides, my calculator doesn't work. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, JR RS said:

+1

I'm also keen on changing mine to the Sportline flat bottom steering wheel too.

Did u use the existing airbag @kriva?

You only need to change the airbag if you fit a heated steering wheel. 

I must be one of the 1st to fit a FBSW into a MK3 as mine was done in November 2015. 

Edited by Gizmo

I missed part of the question, apologies.

Total cost (since I didn’t have a set of XZN Triple Squares) came to about 280€.
I did reuse the original airbag, since I went from heated steering wheel to heated steering wheel.

Swapped steering wheels with @Booshakker then put my car away in the garage (quite a challenge - single new build garage) as we’re going away Tuesday. Also put my plates on retention. It won’t be coming out much now until it’s sold 😐 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, drewellis said:

Swapped steering wheels with @Booshakker then put my car away in the garage (quite a challenge - single new build garage) as we’re going away Tuesday. Also put my plates on retention. It won’t be coming out much now until it’s sold 😐 

All the best to you and yours. Hope everything works out and you come back with a 280 mapped to 500.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

All the best to you and yours. Hope everything works out and you come back with a 280 mapped to 500.

Haha thanks 😀 hope so!

• Like 1

I did an intensive overhaul yesterday, since I've achieved 45000 km (~28000 mi) / 2.5 years :

Engine oil (+ oil filter) change 

Fuel filter change

Cabin filter change

Brake fluid change

Haldex oil change + Haldex pump strainer cleaning.

When I see how dirty the strainer was, the maintenance manual is a complete non sense, not to include strainer cleaning upon oil change!

I let you make your own opinion:

img_3164-579211d.jpg

And here the pump housing:

img_3167-579211f.jpg

Eeeerk... 🤮

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Bap33 said:

I did an intensive overhaul yesterday, since I've achieved 45000 km (~28000 mi) / 2.5 years :

Engine oil (+ oil filter) change 

Fuel filter change

Cabin filter change

Brake fluid change

Haldex oil change + Haldex pump strainer cleaning.

When I see how dirty the strainer was, the maintenance manual is a complete non sense, not to include strainer cleaning upon oil change!

I let you make your own opinion:

img_3164-579211d.jpg

And here the pump housing:

img_3167-579211f.jpg

Eeeerk... 🤮

The Haldex job is on my to-do list next spring when it will be 2 years old although i'll probably have done only just around 20K km in total.

Any tips about the process or guide that you used? i've pinned a few posts from MK7 forums but usually more tips never hurt on these jobs.

@newbie69 I plan to write a tutorial with much details. Would that help? 😁

I have to say that some points are not very detailed indeed. Juste a single example: I've spent more thant 45mn to try to understand how to remove this $%µ@&#  pump connector, whereas simply removing the 2 fixing screws of the Haldex control unit, enable you to disconnect the pump in less than 2mn... Not said/written anywhere... 🙄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bap33 said:

@newbie69 I plan to write a tutorial with much details. Would that help? 😁

I have to say that some points are not very detailed indeed. Juste a single example: I've spent more thant 45mn to try to understand how to remove this $%µ@&#  pump connector, whereas simply removing the 2 fixing screws of the Haldex control unit, enable you to disconnect the pump in less than 2mn... Not said/written anywhere... 🙄

Lol, you're asking the wrong person :D 

I mean, if we're not here for writing our own tutorials on every work we do on the car, what are we doing??

I'd love one yes!

• Like 1

Know what you mean after having an Airtec intercooler fitted to my Vrs245 back in 2018. Once bitten twice shy as they say. Make sure you haven't lost any gas from the air con by checking the climate control still blows cold air. The latest factory refrigerant is very expensive to replace.

19 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Know what you mean after having an Airtec intercooler fitted to my Vrs245 back in 2018. Once bitten twice shy as they say. Make sure you haven't lost any gas from the air con by checking the climate control still blows cold air. The latest factory refrigerant is very expensive to replace.

Cheers, yes first thing I done was turned the air con on for 30 mins or so and no leaks 👍

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, lowey said:

New Forge intercooler fitted. All I'll say is never again 🙄

Probably the only job I don't even consider doing on mine myself after having seen how much of a PITA it is on these cars, I'm gonna take springs and shocks install any day over that.

Congrats on the determination and I guess you're going stage 2? If so i'd love to see the exhaust and tuning options you make as it's been unusually quiet on the Stage 2 front for GPF cars for over a year now, especially the international names like APR, REVO and Uni are all stuck at stage 1 it seems, probably cos they still don't offer their own GPF downpipes.

PS. Why Forge though?? Their intercooler is the worst flowing of all options out there, lagging even generic eBay ones :worried:  In fact, most of their products are of average quality/performance at best, they are way too popular for the performance they provide, but they do are cheaper in general.

13 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

Probably the only job I don't even consider doing on mine myself after having seen how much of a PITA it is on these cars, I'm gonna take springs and shocks install any day over that.

Congrats on the determination and I guess you're going stage 2? If so i'd love to see the exhaust and tuning options you make as it's been unusually quiet on the Stage 2 front for GPF cars for over a year now, especially the international names like APR, REVO and Uni are all stuck at stage 1 it seems, probably cos they still don't offer their own GPF downpipes.

PS. Why Forge though?? Their intercooler is the worst flowing of all options out there, lagging even generic eBay ones :worried:  In fact, most of their products are of average quality/performance at best, they are way too popular for the performance they provide, but they do are cheaper in general.

Each to their own I suppose, I’m more than happy with my Forge products and that’s the first I’ve heard that the Forge is the worst performing. Oh well too late now I’m not returning to stock.

8 minutes ago, lowey said:

Each to their own I suppose, I’m more than happy with my Forge products and that’s the first I’ve heard that the Forge is the worst performing. Oh well too late now I’m not returning to stock.

My personal experiences is with leaking BOV's for a different platform but there's quite some testing (independent) that has been done particularly to the intercoolers for this platform too.

To some extent I agree that it's just an IC so you shouldn't worry too much especially if you got it at a bargain price (some of the high-end ones are freakingly expensive for a damn IC) but when you see that they flow the same as a stock GTI cooler you wonder why bother in the first place.

I'd also not want to have to touch it again though as you say.

integrated_engineering_intercooler_flow_

34 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

My personal experiences is with leaking BOV's for a different platform but there's quite some testing (independent) that has been done particularly to the intercoolers for this platform too.

To some extent I agree that it's just an IC so you shouldn't worry too much especially if you got it at a bargain price (some of the high-end ones are freakingly expensive for a damn IC) but when you see that they flow the same as a stock GTI cooler you wonder why bother in the first place.

I'd also not want to have to touch it again though as you say.

Looking at those results it does indeed suggest its poor performance regards airflow. But then the same guy tests cooling and his conclusion is it’s the best performing. So I’m not going to worry too much 

http://mygolfmk7.com/2020/06/forge-motorsport-intercooler-bench-testing/

2 hours ago, lowey said:

Looking at those results it does indeed suggest its poor performance regards airflow. But then the same guy tests cooling and his conclusion is it’s the best performing. So I’m not going to worry too much 

http://mygolfmk7.com/2020/06/forge-motorsport-intercooler-bench-testing/

Yeap, that's the guy. However if you read the full article and the subsequent articles, he did not say the Forge is the best performing overall, but rather that the Forge was showing the lowest temp rise at the bench cooling sub-test. He continued by saying it lags the rest of the intercoolers flow-wise. Also, at the time the Forge was tested, he had not tested APR and Mishimoto which were found both to offer even better temp rise. The full assessment:

image.png.822f82a97367be5ac8785d541a46b268.png

However, the cooling sub-test is only part of the entire testing process and seems to contribute little to the overall performance as all aftermarket IC seem to not be too far between each other. That's why flow differences affects the total performance to a greater extent.

The results of the complete testing are laid out on the 2-dimensional chart below:

mishimoto_composite_chart.png

There's at least a good temp rise improvement compared to the stock GTI IC so I agree you shouldn;t worry too much, the better flow capacity is probably only an issue on bigger turbo setups, but it's useful to have that info anyway.

So what other mods are you running if you don't mind sharing that?

Edited by newbie69

'Fitted' the official Skoda rear rubber mats and tunnel cover today from SuperSkoda:

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/SUPERB-III/Floor-mats-Carpets/

Very pleased with the results, they fit perfectly (unsurprisingly) and should further child-proof the car!

IMG_20200722_175043.jpg

Edited by ChrisCh
Added photo

16 hours ago, ChrisCh said:

'Fitted' the official Skoda rear rubber mats and tunnel cover today from SuperSkoda:

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/SUPERB-III/Floor-mats-Carpets/

Very pleased with the results, they fit perfectly (unsurprisingly) and should further child-proof the car!

I think all cars should come with rubber mats standard and carpet extra. It makes no sense putting carpet on any car floor. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, digifish said:

I think all cars should come with rubber mats standard and carpet extra. It makes no sense putting carpet on any car floor. 

I run genuine rubber mats in both cars (kids do heaps of sports), so much easier to clean.

I love the Tunnel Cover in my Superb, shame the Passat doesn't have one available...

Yesterday I saved 38 Euros. Engine Start button started to work quite strange let's say, and often I had to press it even twice and more force then usual to make it work.

So I tried to disassembly it, cleaned all the contacts and reassembled it. Works like a brand new now!

• Like 1