What have you done to your Superb III today?

I think they look better because there is a total absence of other lights around. Mine also are impressive off road than they are on, and of course there is a total lack of reference points in order to gauge how far they are actually projecting.

Edited by Graham Butcher
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, numskull said:

According to my brother, who was a lightning engineer and designer for 35 years, during which he worked for Thorn, GE and Schneider, that statement is, I’m afraid, a complete myth; they won’t become brighter with use. 
Additionally, it is a myth than an LED will last for 20,000 hours. It might still “illuminate” (albeit the vast majority of Far Eastern LED’s are cheaply made and poor quality and may last 20% of those hours) but by that time, it will also be 90% less efficient than it was when it was new and is therefore, effectively useless. 

Yes, LEDs progressively get dimmer with age.  Make it a quarter of 20k hours and it's still a good chunk of time. The drivers and other electronics normally fail before the actual diodes anyway. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Danoid said:

I went for a doggo walk earlier and was pitch black when we got back

Got two more pictures, I do think they’re getting brighter slowly as I noticed more on the motorway, still only 2 hours

I’ll do another light post around mid December as I’ll have more then 2hours use by then

287800ff-4a97-4c88-ac9e-04387b1b1ec9.thumb.jpeg.43b8111f385b5ce9a3e8bd23c1b4d854.jpeg
81421d5e-e634-4850-9c14-840fe8f56599.thumb.jpeg.f100f542834c93ebb74652b7df8dfc69.jpeg

I’d say it was probably 30meters at least on high beam

With 1 full turn I think it’s just about right, no blinding at all but I’ll find out in march with the MOT

• Like 1

Topped up coolant. Routine check (engine cold) and found level to be slightly below min level. Few months ago before I went to Germany, it was showing min level. 

Yes I know.. I didn't top it up then...Lol. 

Will monitor and see if there is a leak... 

57 minutes ago, KeteCantek said:

Topped up coolant. Routine check (engine cold) and found level to be slightly below min level. Few months ago before I went to Germany, it was showing min level. 

Yes I know.. I didn't top it up then...Lol. 

Will monitor and see if there is a leak... 

I would say it's high leak probability. Common problem on these engines. Mine went last year so all I can say is be prepared for a big bill. New water pump, thermostat, labour etc. Can't remember how much I paid at my independent but it was well north of £800. 

2 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

I would say it's high leak probability. Common problem on these engines. Mine went last year so all I can say is be prepared for a big bill. New water pump, thermostat, labour etc. Can't remember how much I paid at my independent but it was well north of £800. 

Did you replace the tank too? I have the mit silikat tank 😂

800quid... Will be a hit but if it happens, I will have to do it. Gonna keep an eye on it. 

43 minutes ago, KeteCantek said:

Did you replace the tank too? I have the mit silikat tank 😂

800quid... Will be a hit but if it happens, I will have to do it. Gonna keep an eye on it. 

To my knowledge my tank was not replaced. Just the pump, thermostat & antifreeze. It's a known problem & the replacement parts solve the problem of dissimilar part materials which expand at different rates which over time cause it to start leaking. If I recall the main dealer cost would have been around £1,300 & to get access the front end of the car needs removing! 

All glad to have switched to winter wheels this morning, I also decided to apply some silicone spray (with a microfiber towel) on all door and tailgate seals. I then decided to do the same care to the sunroof seals of my Superb estate and when doing the very last part of the rear window seal… 

A disaster! The seal has torn off! 😱

IMG_8031.jpeg

Does anyone know the OEM P/N reference please? I´m not sure I do get the right one on an online ETKA.

TIA!

Edited by Bap33
  • Sad 2

Been out trying the Superb in snowy conditions since it is the first 4-wheeldrive i've owned and i'm really surprised how well it goes along. 

Feels really safe to drive in slippery roadconditions, which pleased my wife 😊

And the esc off coding i did with obdeleven worked aswell, nothing interfears with the fun 🫣😄 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ynnoj85 said:

Been out trying the Superb in snowy conditions since it is the first 4-wheeldrive i've owned and i'm really surprised how well it goes along. 

Feels really safe to drive in slippery roadconditions, which pleased my wife 😊

And the esc off coding i did with obdeleven worked aswell, nothing interfears with the fun 🫣😄 

It's hard to go back to 2 wheel drive once you've experienced 4 x 4 in winter conditions. I was driving my wife's Kona EV yesterday in damp frosty UK conditions & even in low power Eco mode the front tyres were scrabbling for grip at every roundabout & road junction at the slightest push of the accelerator pedal. No such problems in my Superb. 

• Like 1

First time I drove the 280 on snow and ice (& still on the P7’s then btw) and I was amazed how the car gripped the surface.
There were FW and RWD vehicles scatted on the sides of the road. Like you Colin, I wouldn’t go back to a 2WD vehicle. 

• Like 1

The only car that have experienced the driven wheels scrabbling for grip in was the last Passat I had before I made the transition to Superbs, 21 years ago, and all of my Superbs have only been 2WD. I think the key is to apply power gradually when pulling away, and not launching the car as if you're in some sort of race.

• Like 3

I agree, It would be hard for me to go back on a 2WD now. I had a look at an O4 VRS recently (with full petrol engine, not an iV one), since we should need less space and I also fear the Superb Mk4 prices keep on increasing. But I was disappointed to discover in the technical documents, that the O4 VRS is a 2WD. Additionnaly, I think 245HP is too much, to transfer all power to the ground with a single axle (front axle BTW).

Some other cars look interesting for us, but my wife replied me: What? You won't go for a 4WD for the next car?!? It's safer in winter and when we go to winter sports... 

In this cas I can call her 'SWMBO' 🤣... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Bap33 said:

I agree, It would be hard for me to go back on a 2WD now. I had a look at an O4 VRS recently (with full petrol engine, not an iV one), since we should need less space and I also fear the Superb Mk4 prices keep on increasing. But I was disappointed to discover in the technical documents, that the O4 VRS is a 2WD. Additionnaly, I think 245HP is too much, to transfer all power to the ground with a single axle (front axle BTW).

Some other cars look interesting for us, but my wife replied me: What? You won't go for a 4WD for the next car?!? It's safer in winter and when we go to winter sports... 

In this cas I can call her 'SWMBO' 🤣... 

What about the Cupra Leon ST?

26 minutes ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

What about the Cupra Leon ST?

Maybe to consider, I´m not fixed yet. 
I have to say I wait for prices of both Kodiaq Mk2 and Superb Mk2 and to see them for real, before I decide to go for a ´smaller’ car or not…

Anyway, I´ll have a good idea about Cupra soon, since my wife bought a Formentor VZ (245 HP, hybrid version) to replace her Audi Q3 Mk1. Delivery should be in february 2024. ;) 

• Like 1

I was about to change my battery. I had ordered a Bosch S5 A08 (70Ah - 760A, a bit stronger than the original one), but recieved a Varta N70 (also 70Ah - 760A)... 🙄 
The size are the same, they are both AGM technology, but for the Varta, the website where I ordered my battery states: Mounting on your car is not guaranteed...

I'm fed up with such a lack of professionalism.

I've now 2 options:
1) I don't pay attention to the website statement saying that compliance is not guaranteed. And I nevertheless install it, a bit "forced" to do so...
2) I ship it back and open a claim, but I lose roughly 1 week to get the right one and it's a mess to organize the back shipping. Additionally, I'lle have another €140 out, while awaiting for reimbursment

Any advice? What seems to you the most clever solution?
TIA.

21 minutes ago, Bap33 said:

I was about to change my battery. I had ordered a Bosch S5 A08 (70Ah - 760A, a bit stronger than the original one), but recieved a Varta N70 (also 70Ah - 760A)... 🙄 
The size are the same, they are both AGM technology, but for the Varta, the website where I ordered my battery states: Mounting on your car is not guaranteed...

I've now 2 options:
1) I don't pay attention to the website statement saying that compliance is not guaranteed. And I nevertheless install it, a bit "forced" to do so...
2) I ship it back and open a claim, but I lose roughly 1 week to get the right one and it's a mess to organize the back shipping. Additionally, I'lle have another €140 out, while awaiting for reimbursment

TIA.

This is the Varta battery that Varta would sell you for AGM

Silver Dynamic AGM 570 901 076

https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/products/varta-silver-dynamic-agm/570-901-076

Yours is EFB which is not AGM

I would ask why have they sent you the wrong battery

Edited by Stonekeeper
  • Like 1

my previous 2016.02 Mk3 220ps got VARTA from the factory

code on car sticker:
 J2D = Battery 380A (68 Ah)
on battery:
7P0 915 105
12v 68Ah 380A DIN
680A EN/SAE/GS
VARTA
 AGM
612 880 RA Made in Germany JCB
BEM Code:
7P0912105
JCB360131V2WJ
*205 JCB3G1V2WJJ*

and it were replaced under warranty accurately after 4 years,

because Start-Stop function gone after 3

# 2020.03.04 replaced by
000 915 105 CC
12v 68Ah 380A DIN
680A EN/SAE/GS
VARTA
 AGM
612 809 RA Made in Germany VAO
BEM Code:
000915105CC
VA0691022M1XZ
*205 VA06JAM1XZL*

20 minutes ago, Bap33 said:

I've now 2 options:

TIA.

The actual rating is correct if your car has the start/stop technology, all you need to do is to measure the actual physical dimensions.

2 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

The actual rating is correct if your car has the start/stop technology, all you need to do is to measure the actual physical dimensions.

They are the same as the current one.

I plan to give a call to the customer support of the website tomorrow.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bap33 said:

Maybe to consider, I´m not fixed yet. 
I have to say I wait for prices of both Kodiaq Mk2 and Superb Mk2 and to see them for real, before I decide to go for a ´smaller’ car or not…

Anyway, I´ll have a good idea about Cupra soon, since my wife bought a Formentor VZ (245 HP, hybrid version) to replace her Audi Q3 Mk1. Delivery should be in february 2024. ;) 

I've recently returned from a 9 night stay in Tenerife and we hired a Cupra Leon ST auto hybrid for the duration of our stay.  It was good, but I prefer the Superb, though to be fair the Superb is more expensive.  However, if I was 22 years old rather than 72, I'd probably prefer the Cupra!

• Like 1

Hi,

Summary of the discussion with website customer support, it's... Awesome...
I don't write again the problem description.

_ Sorry sir, yes indeed this is not what you ordered, but it is an equivalent product. We have made an exchange because the product you ordered is out of stock with our supplier.
_ Sorry, but when did you ask for my agreement for this substitution 🤨? Furthermore, your site states that installation on my vehicle is not guaranteed, so I feel skeptical.
_ So you want to organize a return?
_ Yes please.
_ Very well, it's organized, I've just sent you the return paper. You'll be refunded soon and you can reorder.
_ OK, thank you for the refund, but what guarantee can I have that I won't face the same problem 🤨?
_ Yes, I understand sir, but in this case you can still mount it on your car, this is a very good product and the characteristics are the same.
_ Oh, wait wait wait, I have no problem with Varta brand, but I repeat that according to your website, the compatibility with my car is not guaranteed 😠. So if I install it anyway and have problems, what do you think that will happen? You're going to refer me to what's mentioned on your website and you're going to tell me that I should not have mounted it and therefore it will be my own fault... Am I wrong?
_ Yes, I understand sir, you're probably right. So you prefer to remain on the return of the product?
_ Yes right. And what about the 10% promo code I used when I ordered 🤨? Because now it's no longer valid. I can therefore no longer benefit from it to reorder and have the same price.
_ Wait, let me find out...
_ So sir, I can send you a €10 reduction voucher.
_ Um... I had a 10% promo code, not €10. It's not quite the same thing 😬... I'm being fooled here... I'm not really happy.
_ Yes, I understand sir. But I can't do more. I'm sending it to you anyway.
_ Well... I don't have much choice there...😬
_ I have just sent you the discount voucher by email. In the meantime, I've been checking, the Bosch battery is available again from our supplier. You can order it.
_ Oh? Alright. Is it still the same price?
_ It is €220.
_  What 😳 ?! Wait, let's recap. I ordered a Bosch battery for €125 (reduction deducted). Without warning me, your colleagues sent me a Varta whose compatibility with my vehicle is not guaranteed. So I have to send it back to you. I lost my 10% promo code, you are only offering me €10 off as compensation. And now I will be able to order the battery I wanted for €210 after deducting the €10 you offer as compensation? So I'm going to pay €85 more for the exact battery I wanted 😤😡!?! Is that what you call customer satisfaction?! I really have the unpleasant feeling of being fooled! I'll be polite because it's not your fault personally, but I'm really not happy with these practices.

Anyway, back to square one...
In the meantime I found a compatible Varta this time (A7 reference), for €144 on another website or the Bosch in a local store for €151.

What a loss of energy...

Sorry for this looong post. 😁

Edited by Bap33
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

@Bap33 I enjoyed you're jockeying with the customer services Dept and it is an unfamiliar tale, I have heard similar before and this practise is becoming the norm these days I'm afraid to say.

That being said, I don't know why you just keep the Varta battery that they sent you, it should have the same overall physical dimensions, the battery terminals should be in the same locations and be of the right type, i.e., square tabs and not round posts, the battery voltage is still going to be 12V, the type is still an AGM and the cranking capacity is still 760 amps. The differences is going to be more to do with the warranty, are they both subject to the warranty periods etc?

If yes, then I'd remove old battery and just do a visual check to make sure that the dimensions are same, if so fit the battery and keep the extra savings in your pocket.