What have you done to your Superb III today?

On 11/01/2024 at 12:03, Colin170CR said:

The parts arrived yesterday so I will be fitting a new coolant reservoir in order to get rid of the "Mit Silica" bag one that's fitted to my car. 

The wife objected to me using the turkey baster to drain the excess coolant out of the reservoir so I had to buy a syringe as well :smirk:.

However, with no cover or a garage that I can get the car under or into I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit before I tackle this job on the drive. By the looks of the weather it may be getting colder next week so it might be a while before this gets done. 🤞the bag stays intact for a while longer.

image.thumb.png.15597df872fc02a530b7ac2f4987f69d.png

Well the weather wasn't too bad today so I got it done in 10 mins. As it turned out my coolant reservoir wasn't the double chamber one I thought it was & I might have been able to fish the silica bag out without changing the reservoir. That said there was always a chance of the bag splitting whilst trying to fish it out so in the end I just swapped the old for the new & topped it back up with the coolant I syphoned out.

I'll take it for a run tomorrow to make sure there are no leaks & make a note to tell the indi garage what I've done next time it goes in for a service. 

Now I have to give it a wash cos it is looking pretty grubby. 

• Like 3

On 11/01/2024 at 19:46, Colin170CR said:

Next time my car goes in for a service at my independent I'll tell them the bag has gone so they can replace the coolant with the correct one.

I’d like to get rid of the bag in the expansion tank, so will just either take the tank out and get rid or chuck in a new tank minus the bag. Once that’s done, I guess the system will be OK until it needs to be flushed and replaced? If so, at that point, what antifreeze should be used; G13 or G12Evo? 

1 hour ago, numskull said:

I’d like to get rid of the bag in the expansion tank, so will just either take the tank out and get rid or chuck in a new tank minus the bag. Once that’s done, I guess the system will be OK until it needs to be flushed and replaced? If so, at that point, what antifreeze should be used; G13 or G12Evo? 

I think G13 is not sold anymore in VAG network. I believe G12 evo is the new standard.

But I let those who really know confirm this.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

Well the weather wasn't too bad today so I got it done in 10 mins. As it turned out my coolant reservoir wasn't the double chamber one I thought it was & I might have been able to fish the silica bag out without changing the reservoir. That said there was always a chance of the bag splitting whilst trying to fish it out so in the end I just swapped the old for the new & topped it back up with the coolant I syphoned out.

I'll take it for a run tomorrow to make sure there are no leaks & make a note to tell the indi garage what I've done next time it goes in for a service. 

Now I have to give it a wash cos it is looking pretty grubby. 

What’s the part number of the new header tank please?

36 minutes ago, Danoid said:

I got mine from Amazon. Just check your model against the listing. There are some on Amazon that are cheaper & some that are more expensive. I went for middle price & a Prime / quick delivery.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HouYeen-Radiator-Coolant-Expansion-Octavia/dp/B0BNN571GX/ref=sr_1_3?crid=142WWY8LUH0VR&keywords=Coolant+tank+for+Skoda+Superb&qid=1705270487&quartzVehicle=106-11675&replacementKeywords=coolant+tank+for&sprefix=coolant+tank+for+skoda+superb%2Caps%2C98&sr=8-3

• Like 1

15 hours ago, numskull said:

G13 or G12Evo

I threw the silica bag away and will continue to drive with the G13 for the time being… still have time to decide whether I will flush and switch to Evo. Or I might as well get an Audi plastic cartridge with silica that won’t burst and clog the matrix heater. I mean the car has survived 5 years with crystal clear original coolant - if I can keep my maintenance and costs down without risking issues. G13 is still produced and sold.

Car went in today due to the Side Assist module getting "bricked" for no apparent reason. All fixed now after doing a software update.

New issue is that they have discovered that the water pump needs replacing as there's a leak, 83,000km seems a bit early?

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

Car went in today due to the Side Assist module getting "bricked" for no apparent reason. All fixed now after doing a software update.

New issue is that they have discovered that the water pump needs replacing as there's a leak, 83,000km seems a bit early?

Mine went at 58,000 miles so about the same at yours. Be prepared for a big bill!! 

On 14/01/2024 at 22:35, Danoid said:

There's a long thread in Octavia 3 forum on this issue. But sorry, I can't find it back.

AFAIK, the letter at end of the OEM reference for the latest version doesn't have the hight rank in the alphabet. E.g. : latest version may be an F, whereas G or H version exist.

Maybe @MartiniB or @ApertureS do know the reference of the latest version? 🤔

On my side, I finally reinstalled the back armrest in the ski hatch. Happy not to have this wide hole in the rear backrest. :)

My Mk3 is now fully operating.

Just on last thing to solve, my rear dashcam displays a black screen since Xmas. I think there's a bad connection int the video cable. But I'll wait for temps to get higher. -7°C this morning here. It 'stings' too much for DIYing. I fear I can get numb fingers and may break plastic trims.

I'll wait a bit and I'll take the opportunity to make a housing around this rear dashcam to make it look OEM-like. ;) 

Edited by Bap33
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

Not really. Mine went at 38,000 miles (‭61,155‬km). As Colin said, brace yourself…..😖

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bap33 said:

There's a long thread in Octavia 3 forum on this issue. But sorry, I can't find it back.

AFAIK, the letter at end of the OEM reference for the latest version doesn't have the hight rank in the alphabet. E.g. : latest version may be an F, whereas G or H version exist.

Maybe @MartiniB or @ApertureS do know the reference of the latest version? 🤔

On my side, I finally reinstalled the back armrest in the ski hatch. Happy not to have this wide hole in the rear backrest. :)

My Mk3 is now fully operating.

Just on last thing to solve, my rear dashcam displays a black screen since Xmas. I think there's a bad connection int the video cable. But I'll wait for temps to get higher. -7°C this morning here. It 'stings' too much for DIYing. I fear I can get numb fingers and may break plastic trims.

I'll wait a bit and I'll take the opportunity to make a housing around this rear dashcam to make it look OEM-like. ;) 

Newest revision with no silikat is 5Q0121407M

• Thanks 1

On 16/01/2024 at 08:26, ZacDaMan72 said:

Sorry to "welcome you to the club"... Mine stuck at ~62000km.

But I agree, it's too early. I had imagined I would not need to replace it before cambelt replacement (@ 210000 km, upon VAG recommendations on TDI190 engines). I would probably not have waited to reach 210000km, but something like 150000 would have sound more reasonable and realistic...

Note: I had been granted a 90% support from Skoda France on water pump replacement (though the car warranty was over), but cambelt replacement was 100% charged to me (only spare parts, since labor was already included in water pump replacement). Just a tip for you, if it can help... ;)   

• Like 1

I’m guessing that would be a no.

Anyway, what’s the age, mileage, engine and gearbox type and what service did you have last? 

BTW, this thread is titled “What have you done to your MKIII today”, not “What have I got to do to my MKIII next, or at some other point in the future”! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

New battery installed which was painless enough.

Whilst there I figured I'd remove the radar cover to see if the radar was obviously loose as I haven't had FA or ACC working for a few months. A VCDS scan before Christmas told me it was out of vertical alignment.

It wasn't just loose, it was rattling on the mount. There seems to be 3 plastic sleeves (bottom of the photo) on the small adjustment bolts and they've just fallen apart.

spacer.png

Can someone confirm that it'd be 3Q0998561 that I'd need to order? I am aware that that is the complete bracket rather than just the part in the picture.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, zacko_O said:

Last upgrade

I've converted MIB2 -> MIB2.5 and replace 8" display to 9.2"

IMG_8437.jpeg

Whats needed for the conversion?

looks like i will not be replacing the superb with a petrol - that deal is not going through in the way i intended. Hmph.

• Sad 1

Haldex 5 was serviced with new oil, o-rings, bolts and plugs. The sift/filter thoroughly cleansed. Car is at 42500km now. At 25000km only the fluid had been changed back in 2021.

Also changed the long life service interval from 30k to fixed 15k oil change intervals.

New brakes fluid.

New Ravenol 5W30 VMP with filters change.

IMG_2562.jpeg

IMG_2559.jpeg

IMG_2561.jpeg

IMG_2560.jpeg

• Like 1

You can clearly see the gunk that gradually cause the motor to overheat. So every 3 years or 30k the filter element/sift must be cleaned before changing the fluid.

Edited by naster