What have you done to your Superb III today?

On 15/07/2023 at 06:01, ZacDaMan72 said:

I removed the Skoda lettering from my Superb and just had Superb and 4x4 there so it’s more symmetrical

Loose all the lettering. It’s sooooo much cleaner imo and trust me years ago, I was Mr Badgeman! 

• Like 1

On 15/07/2023 at 18:37, Graham Butcher said:

I have yet to bottom on my mk3 and that was one of my concerns with the car as it has the DCC fitted and I have it set for comfort

Set it to Normal. 

3 minutes ago, numskull said:

Set it to Normal. 

I have had it in normal, but I'd have thought if it was going to bottom, it would do it in comfort as the dampers are in their softest setting? Not that I want it to bottom out 🙄 

3 hours ago, candasm said:

This week mine received new set of shocks, Eibach pro kit springs, racingline turbo inlet, hose and performance air filter. I can easily say there is no change on comfort at all.

0D0AA8A7-39F1-4208-95B0-4693DCF4A52B_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.e57e0b5bf510fe8948b740b270d12d87.jpeg

YAY! Magnetic Brown Metallic? I think that’s two of us 280’s now with that colour! 😂
Notice any improvement after you’ve fitted the new turbo inlet?

• Love it! 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

I have had it in normal, but I'd have thought if it was going to bottom, it would do it in comfort as the dampers are in their softest setting? Not that I want it to bottom out 🙄 

Sorry - you want it to bottom? I didn’t realise that was your objective. 

Hi,

I let my Mk3 at my local dealer last week to have the geometry set after front shock absorbers replacement.

I didn’t pay attention to the report when I got it back. But when I read it, I noticed that the camber is out of specified values. 😡

I went to my dealer this morning and showed the report to the workshop manager. He said the camber might be not tunable… WTF !?! 
As I was skeptical, he said he will check this morning and call me back (he is just back from holidays).

Could this be true?

TIA.

12 hours ago, numskull said:

Sorry - you want it to bottom? I didn’t realise that was your objective. 

Nope, I don't want it bottom out, I set it to comfort because I like a smooth comfortable ride, not a hard one where you feel almost every imperfection in the road surface. If I could have done, when I originally ordered my mk2 L&K, I'd have ordered it with the steel wheels of the base model for a more compliant ride. Alloys look great but after is said and done, once you are in the car, they become eye candy for others, and the payoff is a more jarring ride for you due to the lack of sidewall on the tyre.😏  

Edited by Graham Butcher

13 hours ago, numskull said:

YAY! Magnetic Brown Metallic? I think that’s two of us 280’s now with that colour! 😂
Notice any improvement after you’ve fitted the new turbo inlet?

I didn't make the stage 1 tune yet but what I felt It has slightly better gas throttle response.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bap33 said:

He said the camber might be not tunable… WTF !?! 
As I was skeptical, he said he will check this morning and call me back (he is just back from holidays).

If I remember correctly, front camber isn't independently adjustable on each side.

Instead, you can balance the camber between the two sides by moving the front subframe :)

TBH @Graham Butcher, the difference between the Normal and Comfort setting isn’t night and day, but it’s enough to stop the hitting the bump stop, especially when you’re loaded-up. I agree it’s nice to have the overall smoother Comfort ride on the motorway (we travelled back home yesterday from Birkenhead so 240-odd motorway miles) but on urban roads it’s awful, bouncing around over on uneven surfaces. And over sleeping policemen it’s like being in a boat! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Butcher said:

the payoff is a more jarring ride for you due to the lack of sidewall on the tyre

Don’t know what size alloys you have, but you could fit higher profile tyres when they’re due to be changed, Graham. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, numskull said:

Don’t know what size alloys you have, but you could fit higher profile tyres when they’re due to be changed, Graham. 

Can't be arsed with all that modifying malarkey, the insurance company would have to be told and possibly modify the premium as a result. Thinking back to April when my old car was written off and the problem I had getting a decent valuation, they would have no doubt used the fact the car was not as supplied from the factory against me. I'm happy with the DCC I have on my new car, and as I said it has not bottomed out on speed bumps, despite being in comfort mode. My old mk2 without DCC but with alloys as standard often did bottom out.

1 hour ago, Graham Butcher said:

insurance company would have to be told and possibly modify the premium as a result.

Indeed...My premium went up 45% this year, no claims or changes from last year. A comparison with other providers showed no improvement to the renewal quote.

Have just read an article in the Grauniad stating that spare parts are in short supply with extended delivery times to dealers which in some instances are causing insurance companies to write off perfectly good cars because the spares are not available.

• Like 2
  • Groan 2

13 hours ago, Gammyleg said:

Indeed...My premium went up 45% this year, no claims or changes from last year. A comparison with other providers showed no improvement to the renewal quote.

That’s exactly my experience. I paid Sterling Insurance, who are owned by Adrian Flux, £318 with excess protection, 5k miles and £100 compulsory excess (zero voluntary) in June 22. I had no claims during the year.
The renewal they quoted for this year was….. wait for it….. £567, which is a 78.3% increase! Oh and the excess? Yeah, the compulsory £100 went to £425! I was expecting an increase, as the comparison sites quotes, like your experience, had came back with quotes that were between 30 and 120% premium increases. 
I then remembered there was a banner ad on here for an insurer and found it was Chris Knott and their quote came in best at only a 23.4% increase at £390 which is still absolutely outrageous. I was in the risk business for fleet and combined commercial insurance for 15 years and this so-called “hardening of the (retail) market” is completely driven by the underwriting cartel decision to whack the poor old motorist yet again for the “softening” incomes made during C19 and the ever increasing numbers of world governments and authorities insurance claims,  caused by the effects of global warming and boy, haven’t they done well. Ripoff Britain strikes again. 

• Like 1
  • Crying 1

Is the insurance hike just because of the C19 or are there other darker forces at play here? The Internet is awash with theories about the ULEZ in London and other locations with their own schemes to improve air quality, being trojan horses to bring in RUC, Road User Charges. This RUC is also linked C24 which is about 15 minute communities and many councils are already planning ways ways to make car ownership difficult for the masses and trying to makes us, walk, cycle or use public transport and reduce the need to travel. Many on the Internet are saying it is like the communist party where only those in high office or essential positions will be allowed to have a car. So the expansion of clean air zones, then the RUC and the insurance hikes are just trying to price us out of cars? What are your thoughts, are they possibly right or what? 

Edited by Graham Butcher

On 23/07/2023 at 17:23, candasm said:

This week mine received new set of shocks, Eibach pro kit springs, racingline turbo inlet, hose and performance air filter. I can easily say there is no change on comfort at all.

0D0AA8A7-39F1-4208-95B0-4693DCF4A52B_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.e57e0b5bf510fe8948b740b270d12d87.jpeg7C2FE27C-5201-4A79-9D2B-95FBB32BAD35_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.7f2efab2d4c19fcca08fba4c318713fa.jpeg8E159DDF-6D0B-4C38-9379-FFBD24B329E9_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.596fa8a7056d305ce2b93034c730b358.jpeg

Looks great, like the colour.

What shocks did you go for?

• Like 1

got it *thoroughly* filthy the other week and then washed it. Was getting on my nerves, the grit in the door jambs... now almost clean again. So many insects, though...

5 minutes ago, Ynnoj85 said:

Since the highbeam is pretty bad i fitted a ledbar to improve the light a bit, happy with the result 🙂 It's dark here in Sweden during winter and a lot of wildlife on the roads so have to be prepared. I've crashed with a moose once and I dont want to experience that again. Will be changing the xenonbulbs too before winter comes, i think there is room for improvement there also.

Hello neighbour!

Not bad. What's the light and it's ref? I removed my honeycomb and my lazer linear 18 sits directly under the plate. Might swap it out for the 24 and give my wife the 18.... more is more.... you are probably down south if you already have darkness again :D

3 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

Is the insurance hike just because of the C19 or are there other darker forces at play here?

Yes, there are. They’re unbelievably greedy and immoral; they just have to keep their margins as high as possible. There’ll be higher numbers of scams and uninsured drivers as a result of these massive hikes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ynnoj85 said:

Since the highbeam is pretty bad i fitted a ledbar to improve the light a bit, happy with the result 🙂

Jesus! That’s enough to blind any oncoming vehicles! 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brettikivi said:

Hello neighbour!

Not bad. What's the light and it's ref? I removed my honeycomb and my lazer linear 18 sits directly under the plate. Might swap it out for the 24 and give my wife the 18.... more is more.... you are probably down south if you already have darkness again :D

Hello.

It's a Optibeam Super Captain Dual 800, 766mm wide so 30" i guess. Don't know the ref but it's measured to 30900 lumens in boostmode which i use.

Okey yeah i've had some kind of extra lights on all cars since many years back, can't be without it once you tried 😄

Live in middle of Sweden so not dark yet, a couple of months left until it's dark from 15:30 in the afternoon until

7 in the morning 😝

4 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

@Ynnoj85I can't believe that you don't find the xenon bulbs good enough. That light view from the car is great though but I'd hate to be driving towards you with those on.

I've seen the difference between stock xenonbulbs with 4-5 years on them and when changed to Osram Nightbreaker or Philips X-tremeVision and it's quite a big difference what i've seen and heard from people who made the change.

Hehe yeah if i meet someone who doesn't turn the highbeams off i can flash them a bit 🙃

3 hours ago, numskull said:

Jesus! That’s enough to blind any oncoming vehicles! 

image.jpeg

Haha yeah it will do for now, had more power in the lights on my previous car so would be nice with some more 😝

Maybe next year 🙃

Edited by Ynnoj85
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ynnoj85 said:

Since the highbeam is pretty bad i fitted a ledbar to improve the light a bit, happy with the result 🙂 It's dark here in Sweden during winter and a lot of wildlife on the roads so have to be prepared. I've crashed with a moose once and I dont want to experience that again.IMG_20230724_000134_809.thumb.jpg.dab55ec98cb4120ee465903acbc0e0a1.jpgIMG_20230724_000135_174.thumb.jpg.dd234988cb8ffab5286a72d1fdddcbc1.jpgIMG_20230724_000134_968.thumb.jpg.28505e69f2022c751ffb7f3c58733026.jpg Will be changing the xenonbulbs too before winter comes, i think there is room for improvement there also.

That amount of lumens looks like a night time rally car🚙! Is it even legal?

Personally I find my L&K auto LED full beam headlights perfectly fine. Certainly good enough to pick out the odd bit of nocturnal wildlife we get in our neck of the woods. Normally it's muntjac deer, foxes & badgers. 

I appreciate more light is better if you are driving at night on unlit roads all the time but this seems a bit OTT.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colin170CR said:

That amount of lumens looks like a night time rally car🚙! Is it even legal?

Personally I find my L&K auto LED full beam headlights perfectly fine. Certainly good enough to pick out the odd bit of nocturnal wildlife we get in our neck of the woods. Normally it's muntjac deer, foxes & badgers. 

I appreciate more light is better if you are driving at night on unlit roads all the time but this seems a bit OTT.   

It lights up pretty good despite the location where it's mounted for sure 😊 

Yes it's legal, at least here in Sweden 🙂 You can have as much lights as you want on the highbeam. 

I've got buddies that has 10 times the lumens that I have on highbeam 😄

The only thing that's not legal is the "drl:s" or what you may call them that i use. On my ledbar you can choose between white or orange/amber.  

20230723_180127.thumb.jpg.5c25dc3b5deedde5552515c707f787dc.jpg

• Like 2